PDA

View Full Version : BIG Decision made... and I'm sticking to it!!!

kimlovescats
01-27-2004, 04:08 PM
My hubby and I have made a decision ... and this time we MUST stick with it!!!!!!! :eek:

We have decided to no longer take in homeless kitties, but we have also decided not to place any of the ones currently living with us. So, our current Cat Family has now reached and will remain at 22. :rolleyes:

We have found and learned that we and these kitties are so bonded, that we could not bare to part with them, and we feel that they would have difficulties in leaving our home as well. I know that the younger ones would do better, but when I am strong enough to say "so and so" needs to go now, then my hubby says "NO, not so and so!!" :rolleyes:

Hence, we have made a pact to eachother and our 22 cats, that this is it!!! We are a great big happy family, and we don't care what others who wouldn't understand think!!!! :D

(NOTE: NO, we are NOT "hoarders" .... if ever we should get to the point that our cats were suffering in any way, we would immediately place them for adoption with another rescue program!)

catcrazylady
01-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Kim I just don't know what to say. I have always known that I could not give them up after I had cared for them like you do. I admire your strength but I more than anything can understand why you don't want to adopt them out anymore. I never feel like anyone can love them like me so I would never be able to find the right person and that would mean I would never give up any cat!!!
As for having 22 cats...I'm jealous!! I have finally reached a point in my life where I don't care what people think about me and my cats. I know I only have nine but I really don't feel like I'm done.
If you don't want to come to my house because of hair then don't. If you think I'm some kind of nut then think it. I'm old enough now to realize that my time is limited and in the end I will answer only to God. He knows my heart and he made me this way so it must be ok.
As for you not taking in anymore stray kitties...ummm...that will remain to be seen!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif It's hard to turn them away.
Don't feel guilty about your decision either. You have done more than your share and still are with your 22 kitties.
I bet it feels good to have jointly made that decision and have the pressure off.
God Bless you Kim and I look forward to many years of pictures and stories about your fur babies!!

kimlovescats
01-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Well, after 38 views .. someone finally had something to say, and something very nice and understanding I might add! THANK YOU SO MUCH, Lisa ... for being the kind of person who is willing to and does understand! I feel the same way about my life and time here on this earth .... and I know that my Father in Heaven brought each and every one of these babies to me for His purpose! Like you said, I care very little about what humans think of me anymore .... and I wouldn't care if I never had another human visitor to my house! Because a house without my cats is JUST THAT ... a HOUSE ... NOT a HOME!!!

:)

Soledad
01-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Kim, you've done more than enough for the kitty cat community to warrant this decision. You're a saint and I hope you and your family can live in harmony!

catcrazylady
01-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Your very welcome and I do understand. I'm sure a lot of others do to. I think you will be getting lots of responses and I think they will all be supportive.
Taking care of these babies, falling in love, and then giving them away is emotionally taxing. You and your hubby know that you are to in love with your remaining babies to give them up. You also know that it will continue this way with each and every one of them that may come in the future. NO ONE can hold against you the fact that you have a HUGE and LOVING HEART. It will be ok and it is ok!! Don't feel guilty!!! You have no reason too.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Laura's Babies
01-27-2004, 06:42 PM
I could not give them up and I am jealous too of you being able to have so many. Your HOME must be Heaven! One to love on all day in your arms, a bed full at night, the crazy antics of them playing to entertain you and ALWAY, someone to talk to when you need somebody to listen but not judge you.

My dream, for when I retire, is to be able to have as many as I want and a nice place to keep them, a warm, dry home. Money to care for them and I will gladly be their slave! You are so luck to have a partner that loves them as much as you do and I say to the both of you, GO GUYS GO! (good luck sticking to only 22!)

carole
01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Simply WONDERFUL news kim, I am so happy for you and all your precious furbabies, how is that sweet Angel (capturer of my heart)
doing?
You have done such a lot for many kitties in your life, each and everyone of them has been blessed to be with you, there sure is no shame in retiring, but yes I wish you good luck (coz you are going to need it) with sticking to your guns, at 22 kitties lol.:)

jenluckenbach
01-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Good luck with your decision. I wish you the best.

moosmom
01-27-2004, 07:15 PM
CCL,

:eek: :eek:
I know I only have nine :eek:

I have finally reached a point in my life where I don't care what people think about me and my cats. I know I only have nine but I really don't feel like I'm done.
If you don't want to come to my house because of hair then don't. If you think I'm some kind of nut then think it. I'm old enough now to realize that my time is limited and in the end I will answer only to God. He knows my heart and he made me this way so it must be ok.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Kim,

I respect your decision. I have also stopped at 8. I've found that by not fostering anymore, my furbabies are healthy, happy and not so stressed. Plus my uncertain financial situation right now does not allow me to afford anymore mouths to feed.

Hang in there. You've done a great job and I'm proud of you!

kimlovescats
01-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Thank you so much, Carole, Laura and Jen! ;)

Donna - What you said about not stressing them any more or risking their health further is a MAJOR point in my decision!!!!
Most everyone here knows that we have had major outbreaks and battles with URI, then diarrhea with the newborns, and then the Ringworm thing. :eek: Plus, as I recently have mentioned, my "BABY" (Tucker) is so stressed he is pulling his hair out! I cannot bring in any more competition or illness. However, the ones that I have brought in, are used to their lives now, and to move them again would only bring out more stress and illnesses in them. I know that now for a fact! I feel comfortable now that no "new" illnesses will be creeping in to my home, so what each of them has or has had will be the end of it. I thank GOD that none of them has been diagnosed with FELV or FIV!!!

We each have to make our own decisions in life, and although we don't always agree with the decisions of others, it is nice to know that some people support you!!! :)

K & L
01-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Kim, we can relate to what you're saying and feeling, that's why we have 17 ourselves and cannot foster. We get way too attached. You've done a wonderful job and you know your limit!

kimlovescats
01-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Thank you K&L ..... yep, just 5 more and you'll be "even" with us! :D No, but I do understand why you have to walk away from some of them at the park, and how heartwrenching that is for you to do!!! :( ;)

Lorraine
01-27-2004, 09:08 PM
How wonderful! I think that is GREAT!! A house full of love! :D
I look forward to seeing more pictures of them!

AvaJoy
01-27-2004, 09:13 PM
You have my support and understanding, too.

It is good that you and your husband can agree on this. My husband and I don't see eye to eye because my arms are still open to adopting more cats, but he has put his foot down at the six we have now. He takes Allegra every day due to allergies, so I guess I should be grateful that I can have as many as I do. I am the primary caregiver, but he enjoys them all and will readily feed, play, scoop, take to vet, etc. Maybe I can persuade him to allow just one more someday . . . :p ;)

Bless you for taking so many fortunate kitties under your wing!

Miss Meow
01-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Good for you!

You've done so much for animals that you are more than entitled to a little 'rest', if having 22 cats can be called a rest! I think the stability will be good for your cats too :)

captain
01-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Kim,

I don't come over the kittie section often, but WOW - 22 cats ........ that in itself is pretty amazing!

WHO cares what ANYONE else thinks or says - it is your life, your home and your cats!!!!

Bravo to you!

jazzcat
01-27-2004, 11:50 PM
I can totally understand your decision and I think everything you've done so far is absolutely wonderful. Now you are continuing on by giving the best home to all 22 cats.

I really admire all the work you do.

Barbara
01-28-2004, 03:03 AM
I could never foster -I know that I just couldn't give them away;)

And taking care of 22 cats is already a really hard work -you are an angel anyway. I wish you the strength to stick with that:)

catcrazylady
01-28-2004, 05:53 AM
Kim, I'm just curious but did the adoption of Tess help make this decision? She was such a cutie and you hand raised her and Tony correct? I'm wondering how much of your heart went with her? I know you found her a wonderful home but it still had to be very hard to let her go.

sqwelch
01-28-2004, 08:31 AM
kimreallydoeslovecats !!!

I had no idea you had so many cats, your HOME must be heaven with all those furkids for company! I also understand that fostering must be extremely difficult, it must be soooo hard to give a kitty up when you've grown to love it !!! You are an absolute angel (like many others on PT) and as others said, who cares what people think, if people don't like it so what, its your life and your happy !!! BRAVO and I wish you many happy years with all 22 of your furkids !!!

June

CatDad
01-28-2004, 10:11 AM
I think your decision is great.:) If this is what you need to do then I support you in that decision. I personally think you are great for doing what you have, If you want to stop at 22 you have every right. I have to say it does sound kind of funny saying stop at 22.;)

I am not quite sure where the 'hoarder' comment came from. However, I just wanted to let you know that even though you love all of your babies. I have never had any doubt that if you need to you would do what is best for the kitty. Just wanted to throw that in.

I too am jelous that you have so many, if I had the energy to have thay many I would too.:D

kimlovescats
01-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Lisa.... you are exactly correct.... giving up Tess was extremely difficult, and if only I had made my decision a few days sooner, she would still be here! :( However, I have to keep telling my self that Tessie is in a good home. (Must repeat to self regularly!!)

Bryan.... the "hoarder" comment was an insecure edit I made after seeing no comments and about 38 views! :rolleyes:
I know there are some people who are just waiting for me to be on the news some day! :eek: But I assure you, that won't happen!!! The only way me and my babies will be on the news is if I start growing fur and whiskers and eating kibble!!! :D

ramanth
01-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Kim, you got my vote! Oops.. I mean support. ;) :D

I'm okay with your decision...and even if someone wasn't, it's YOUR decision to make. Give all the kitties kisses for me! :)

catlover4ever
01-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Kim, I don't know how you have managed to do all that you do. I'm sure it was a hard decision to come to but one that you, and only you can make. I understand just where you are coming from.

I too am jealsous of what you do and how many furbabies that your heart has room for. I would love to do what you do but I really think my husband is scared to death that I would not be able to give them up for adoption. I feel in my heart that I'm still missing out on the big picture but I also don't want to upset my husband, so I do all that I can for the babies that I have and I support several different groups here in CT.

By the way, you are NOT a hoarder in any sense of the word (at least in my book) because a hoarder is someone who just collects the cat and does not care what happens, and you are NOT that way. You can see it in the pictures of all of your babies you take and share with us here, you can tell by the stories that you have about all of your babies and you can tell by the wisdom, and knowledge that you have for your babies. --- Meg

kimlovescats
01-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Thank you, Meg! Well, one thing I can tell any skeptics ... I have taken in over 60 cats in the past two years, and ONLY kept 22!!!
:rolleyes: :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Kim, I know you made a very tough decision here, and I applaud you for making it. Only you know what you can handle and what you can't, and it's great that you've made this decision before getting in way over your head. And I love this statement

I know that the younger ones would do better, but when I am strong enough to say "so and so" needs to go now, then my hubby says "NO, not so and so!!"
It must be sooo wonderful to have a husband that supports you in what you do and it's obvious that he loves them all as much as you do.

I'm sooooo glad you made this decision after Angel because I get the feeling you might just have had to breakdown for her. ;) :D And yes, Tessie did go to a wonderful home, yes, she went to a good home, yes she went to a good home, yes......;)

It's obvious to most of us here that you are not hoarders. Your cats are way too well taken care of for us to even consider that. I think 22 cats would be heavenly (as long as hubby was around to do all the scooping ;) ) so don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You are doing what is best for yourself and all the ones that you already have. Hopefully this will help Tucker to stop his nervous licking, and all the others will remain healthy too.

I'm also glad to see you are introducing the ones that you had considered adopting out but are not keeping. When you said 22, I knew there were a few we had seen yet. I love Pee Wee, what an adorable little orangie. And of course.....whew....you're not adopting him out so I don't have to worry about wanting Jetson. ;)

Thank you for all you've done for the many that have passed through your home. You are a total angel to all of them, and good luck with all those you have decided to keep.

One last thing, can you give each and everyone of them a hug and smooch from me please? :)

kimlovescats
01-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks Debbie... and YES, I will definitely give them huggies for you! Oh, and I promise to post frequent pics of Jetson too!
;)

momoffuzzyfaces
01-28-2004, 01:07 PM
I had to smile when I read your post. I totally understand. All my cats were strays. I now have 4 in the house and was determined not to feed ANY MORE strays. Then a pregnant stray had two babies and she brought them to me to feed. I couldn't turn a baby away, so fed them and they are finally where I can pet them. I had the female spayed just a few weeks ago. One morning when it was freezing I went out to feed them, there were 10 hungry pairs of eyes looking at me. I couldn't let any of them leave in that cold without a meal. Yep, I totally understand and support you. Good luck on sticking to it!;) :D

Lallypop11
01-28-2004, 01:15 PM
22 IS a lot of cats, I think you made a good decision. You've already done so much for cats, I'm sure it's a LOT of work physically, emotionally, and financially. I think you should feel satisfied with what you've done already and help others realize the importance of helping animals in need. You rock! :D I would love to be around 22 cats all the time! hehehe.

rg_girlca
01-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the late response Kim, but you know I totally support and understand your decision. You have done a world of good for all the foster kitties that you have taken care of and found homes for. You were so devoted to these precious babies, now it's time to sit back, relax and enjoy all 22 gorgeous, adorable kitties that surround you. (I'M SO JEALOUS):D
If you have the time, give them all hugs and kisses for me and huggies to you Kim, for ALL the wonderful work that you have done. Always we can't leave out that wonderul husband of yours who has backed you up 110%.

Steffi N
01-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Kim, a big hug for you and pets and cuddles for all 22 of your happy lucky furbabies. You have done so much and now you can devote yourself to your big, beautiful family.

Tonya
01-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Kim, you are so blessed that your husband loves animals the way that you do. I'm happy to hear that the two of you have taken on 22 cats! :eek: God is smiling down at you right now...

NoahsMommy
01-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Kim...can I come to your house to first hug you, then your hubby and then kiss all 22 LUCKY kitties????

You have always been, and will continue to be an inspiration to me. You have a wonderful, caring heart. I had always thought of you as an angel for the homeless kitties in your area.

I'm so glad you and your hubby have come to a decision. David and I have come to the same one, for the same reasons.

Your cat hoarder comment is very well understood. Having 8 in an apartment always makes me feel I have to go on and on about smell, fur and premium and toys I provide to anyone who asks about my cats. Seems there always someone that spoils it for the rest of us...

Anyway, I support you fully. You go girl!!! :D

Now...go kiss all them babies for me! :)

bisi.cat
01-29-2004, 01:15 AM
I know that decisions made by the heart are most often the best ones.
You've done such a lot for your kitties and the fosters (more than most people would ever do), so I wish you the best of luck and lots of joy with 22 happy cats!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Sending you a big HUG. What a heard decision to make! But I am so happy for you!! You should feel that you can really bond with all the furkids, without worrying about how to cope with one of them leaving and going to another family.

I am so full of admiration for the wonderful work that all the foster Meowmies on Pet Talk do, and also for all the multi-cat households - you have not idea how lucky YOU are, or how jealous I am!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-29-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
Sending you a big HUG. What a heard decision to make! But I am so happy for you!! You should feel that you can really bond with all the furkids, without worrying about how to cope with one of them leaving and going to another family.

I am so full of admiration for the wonderful work that all the foster Meowmies on Pet Talk do, and also for all the multi-cat households - you have no idea how lucky YOU are, or how jealous I am!!

kimlovescats
01-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Thank you for being so sweet and supportive, to me and my kitty family!!! I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me! ;)