PDA

View Full Version : Time for SEINOR food??(HELP)

DogLover9501
01-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Tigger has been eating Whiskas his entire life, and sometimes we give him the whiskas pouched soft food just for a treat, and lately when hes meowing and grabbing our legs/arms/clothes(meaning his dish is empty) and we fill it up,(its up on a counter) and when we turn around to walk away he'll grab our arm and will not eat the hard food anymore, just goes around meowing.

So I looked at his teeth the other day and they are VERY bad and very stinky, I bought treats for his teeth and he wont eat them, this cat wont eat ANYTHING besides his food, not even FISH or TUNA unless its in his cat food :eek:

I couldnt find a seinor Whiskas hard food, and he will not eat other foods, so should we just keep him on soft food?

Barbara
01-26-2004, 09:03 AM
One of the issues with senior food is that it has less calories. So if Tigger isn't overweight you don't have to switch him.

But regarding the teeth you may have to see the vet for toothcleaning. You can check whether the gingiva are red or even bleeding. Tooth cleaning means anesthesia and it's a bit expensive but if you don't do it Tigger might be in pain and lose teeth. It works very well and they recover from the anesthesia in no time.

Filou has had it three times up to now. Catdad's Bob and Joey are just through their first time. It depends not only on food but also on the chemistry of the saliva (as it is with humans) so if you have not one of the extremely rare cats who allow you to brush their teeth there is not much you can do :(

five minutes later: oh I just checked Tigger out. He's gorgeous and with 6 he's too young for senior food but the night of starving before the tooth cleaning can not really harm him ;)

catlover4ever
01-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Friskies makes a Senior wet food....my Tucker does not really like it except for the lamb and rice. They used to make a Senior dry which she loved but they stopped making it last year. Purina and IAMS both make a dry senior.

I think that Tigger's teeth problem could be that they need to be cleaned. Senior food is for a less active kitty who does not need as much calorie intake.

DogLover9501
01-26-2004, 09:30 AM
but the night of starving before the tooth cleaning can not really harm him

Porbably not--But it will harm US!! lol as I said he grabs us when he is hungry!

I will check into teeth cleaning but it may not be able to get done until march, as we have dog classes and Jasper's neutering to pay for next month!