PDA

View Full Version : kitten not eating

weniki30
01-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I need help desperately.
I am fostering two kittens untile they are ready to adopt. I then plan to adopt them.

They both got a cold the day I brought them home.
That was about 1 week ago.
They both seem to sound worse with each day.
I have them on anti-biotics.
The boy is eating and drinking like crazy. He seems to have grown a lot over the past several days.
The girl stopped eating today. I have had to force her to drink anything. Even with food put in front of her she will not eat.
I have tried putting them in the bathroom with the shower running to help clear up congestion so she can breathe.

Nothing seems to help... I am worried now because she has stopped eating.

Any advice?!!

I anxiously await advice....
Wendi

>^..^<
01-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi Wendi - this happened to my first kitten years ago - sometimes they develop tiny sores in their mouth which makes it painful for them to eat or drink. You'll definitely need to make a vet visit - if for no other reason than to ensure she is hydrated.

Hope she bounces back soon like mine did! Keep us informed.

Lynn

jenluckenbach
01-26-2004, 06:09 AM
She will need a vet and will probably need to be force fed and possibly on IV fluids as well. Do not hesistate because their condition can worsen quickly.

moosmom
01-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Jen's right. Kittens who stop eating can become dehydrated very quickly.

The reason she has stopped eating is because she can't smell her food. Although I would definitely get her to the vet ASAP, you can try sticking her in the bathroom and run the show on hot. This will create steam that will loosen up any gunk in her lungs and nose. Also trying heating her food in the microwave (be careful because it can sometimes heat unevenly), make sure you test it before you give it to her.

CatDad
01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Better advice from Jen and Donna you could not find.

Just to add urgency, I would get them to the vet. Dehydration is not something that you want.

Good thougts to the babies, and let us know what happens.

weniki30
01-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Great news!

I separated Ninji and China last night for a while.
I stayed in the room with China and watched while she ate!! :D
She is eating and drinking again, as long as Ninji is not around.

Both of them seem to slowly be getting better.
Ninji has gained twice as much weight as China because he scarfs all the food I put out for them before China works up the nerve to go eat.

They both were anxious to play all night. In fact, they cried when I made them go to their room for bedtime so Baby (our 14 yr old Himalayan) could come out of her room for a while.

It has been a real challenge to clean the litter box for the kittens, use the aspirator for their noses and give them medicine all twice daily. Also, cleaning the floors before Baby can come out to play is no quick chore. But, I enjoy every moment of it as the kittens become familiar with their new environment.

BTW, thanks to the people who recommended the aspirator and bathroom with a running shower. As much as the kittens hate having their noses sucked out and their faces cleaned, they seem to be getting better.

I spoke to our HOPE sponsor who said we should put a vaporizer in the room with the kittens during the day. So, I am borrowing one today.

Everything seems to be working. All the cats are slowly becoming familiar with each others smell. I hope to have the kittens healthy enough for their next shots and spay/neuter within the coming week. Then, after recovering from surgery everyone can meet and play together all day long. That is assuming Baby decides it is ok to have other animals in the house. Right now she is fine, as long as the kittens keep their distance (meaning, stay in another room away from her).

LookinForTrouble
02-19-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm very happy to hear about Ninji and China! I was getting nervous! One time my cat Sammy was paralized from the waste down. He didn't move his back legs at all! My mom was really worried! Then all of sudden he got better! We were so grateful!