PDA

View Full Version : Id' rather have NO luck

RICHARD
01-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Updated: 12:29 PM EST
Indiana Man Dies After Winning Lottery

ELWOOD, Ind. (Jan. 25) - A man who won $57,000 in an Indiana lottery game taped for television died hours later when he was hit by a pickup truck.

The ``Hoosier Millionaire'' featuring Carl D. Atwood, 73, was broadcast Saturday night after his family said they wanted the show to go on, Hoosier Lottery director Jack Ross said.

Talk About It

· Post a Message

The broadcast concluded with a photo of Atwood accompanied by text reading: ``In memory of Carl Atwood.''

Atwood won the money Thursday during a two-hour taping in Indianapolis.

``I am very thankful,'' he proclaimed. ``I must admit that I never expected to be leaving the show with this amount of money. Now I can purchase a very nice car.''

Hours later, Atwood was hit by a truck as he walked to the grocery store where he bought the winning ticket near his home in Elwood, about 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis. He died at a hospital.

The driver has not been charged.

Atwood would have been among those invited back to compete for a $1 million grand prize in three weeks.

``We will work with the family to make arrangements on how to handle the championship show,'' Ross said. ``We will certainly have a place on that show for someone who the family chooses to take his place.'' 01/25/04 08:47 EST

Tonya
01-25-2004, 04:08 PM
LMAO! I was just pm'ing you about this! Did you post this before or after?!

I was just telling Richard that everyone has been teasing me at work that with my good fortune, I should purchase a lotto ticket. (For those of you that don't know, I've started off 2004 in a very crappy way.) I was saying that when I read this, I thought of myself and started cracking up.

RICHARD
01-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Triple hit-and-run victim killed
Wednesday, January 21, 2004 Posted: 6:56 PM EST (2356 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- The black car hit her first, striking Natalie Guzman as she tried to cross a Queens street to buy a bag of potato chips. The 18-year-old managed to get to her feet before she was hit again, by a white car.

About four minutes later, her friends dove for cover as a black sport utility vehicle hurtled through the 30 mph zone at an estimated 80 mph. Guzman, who could not move, was killed instantly.

Police searched for the three hit-and-run drivers Wednesday in the kind of crime that tends to reinforce New Yorkers' reputation as a cold-hearted lot.

City Councilman Eric Gioia said the case reminded him of that of Kitty Genovese, who was killed on a Queens street in 1964 while dozens of people watched from their windows and did nothing.

"It shocks the conscience that three separate people would be so callous as to mow someone down and just keep on going," Gioia said.

Guzman's family contended that she was intentionally killed, saying she had feared for her life since a bar fight two weeks earlier.

"The family thinks her death may have something to do with that fight," said neighbor Olimpia Urena, who acted as a translator for Guzman's mother and aunt. The family came from the Dominican Republic.

Police said only that they are still investigating all possibilities and looking into whether the drivers even knew they had hit someone.

Guzman's life ended Sunday morning, shortly after she left Los Primos Tournament Billiards on Roosevelt Avenue in Corona, Queens, a heavily Hispanic neighborhood about two blocks from the one-bedroom apartment she shared with her 15-month-old daughter, Laritza, and her mother, Miriam Toribio. This stretch of Roosevelt Avenue is home to several bars and social clubs.

Urena said Guzman dropped out of high school after becoming pregnant but had recently decided to get her life back on track.

"She said she wanted to make her life normal, she wanted to do something with her life," Urena said. "She was studying to get her GED and after that, she planned to go to LaGuardia Community College."

Guzman even had a job interview to sell cosmetics lined up this week, Urena added.

"She was a very friendly girl, very helpful," Urena said. "If she saw me with my shopping bags, she would always help me. She didn't deserve what happened to her."

A witness told police that Guzman had left the pool hall to go to a bodega across the street.

The first car, traveling at about 60 to 70 mph, struck Guzman as she attempted to cross the two-lane street, which runs underneath the elevated subway tracks and has cars parked along the sides of the road, the witness said.

The second car was also going about 60 to 70 mph, the witness said.

As Guzman lay in the street, her friends discovered her and tried to help. They told police they believed she was still breathing. Then the SUV came barreling toward them.

Urena said Guzman's family finds it hard to believe that three people could run over her, and none of them would stop.

lovemyshiba
01-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Remember that Alanis Morrisette Song, "Ironic?"

The old man, turned and he ate, he won the lottery, and died the next day

As for the other story
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

mugsy
01-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Ok, was the guy from Atwood or Elwood....they're in different areas of the state! Both are only about an hour from me. I feel sorry for the family.....I wonder how much crap the show got for airing it even WITH the family's permission.

RICHARD
01-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Ok, was the guy from Atwood or Elwood....

Atwood,

Elwood was THE OTHER Blues Brother..:confused: