PDA

View Full Version : I learned to make Sushi today!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Okay, it is only California rolls, but I am really pleased! They came out great!

Does anyone else make their own? Do you have any advice or recipes to swap?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pbb8580a3cddeede3dba85a08ace463d7/f9d43a93.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p827321002e3b1f2cd67958e975d36342/f9d439fa.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p333aacb5c7e10d6ed9d38fed805b2db5/f9d4364c.jpg

Barbara
01-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Julie they look great. I love California rolls. I never tried myself.

bluekat
01-25-2004, 01:40 PM
They're look pretty good:)My mom made them once before.

shais_mom
01-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Those look awesome!!!
I love sushi!

joycenalex
01-25-2004, 03:58 PM
can i come for dinner?;)

RICHARD
01-25-2004, 04:50 PM
rule one?

Don't make it until you get sick of it........
once you burn out you won't make it for a long time..

two?

Don't make Spam sushi....ewwwwww, they sell that in our cafeteria....Blasphemy, I tell you!

Tonya
01-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Well, I'm not a Sushi fan. But I must say, those look like the real thing! You did a great job. :D

Miss Meow
01-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Yum, yum, I love California rolls. My favourite is salmon, avocado and cucumber, which looks a lot like yours :)

Julie, how much weight have you lost? You look really good in your photo! :)

popcornbird
01-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

Julie, how much weight have you lost? You look really good in your photo! :)

That's what I was going to say! You look much thinner than you were in the *before* pic you posted on the diet buddies board..........Good job! (speaking of the diet buddies board, we need to get back to it!:eek: )

I haven't ever tried sushi, :o :o, but that looks great!

Kater
01-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Ooooh! I LOVE sushi!
I didn't learn to make it myself until I came to college but I've been eating it all my life!
Here is a picture of one of my earliest attempts...LOL!
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~mcar/images/solstice/images/P1010087_JPG.jpg

Some tips from personal experience...

1. Don't use brown rice, use proper sushi (white, short grain) rice. You obviously didn't use brown rice but yeah, don't. Sometimes I'm too much of a health nut! :eek:

2. Fresh is best! Sushi tastes best when eaten on the same day it was made. If you have to refrigerate it, then wait until it is room temperature to eat it.

3. Slice the roll using a very sharp knife. (Looks like you did this just fine!)

4. Did you put anything on the rice? Sushi vinegar? Well, that gives it a tangy and tart taste. Very yummy.

Some (vegetarian) filling ideas:

julienned baked tofu
blanched spinach
avocado!!! YUM YUM YUM
teriyaki shiitake mushrooms
asparagus
baby corn
zucchini
yellow squash
(steamed) yam/sweet potato
alfalfa sprouts/other sprouts

Ume - Japanese pickled plum, quite intense sweet/salty flavor.

Furikake - If you just can't get enough seaweed (like me), then you can sprinkle furikake inside your sushi before you roll it. These flakes (sometimes called 'Rice Seasoning') come in different flavors but always contain seaweed. My favorite combines seaweed and roasted sesame seeds (as well as some salt and sugar.)

Okay, that's all I've got for now. Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

Great job, Julie! Your sushi came out beautifully! How did everyone like them? I just ate dinner but you're making me sooooo hungry!!! ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Hey Pops and Miss Meow - thanks for the kind words. I haven't lost much YET - but I am feeling better about myself, and I think that makes you stand a bit taller and look more cheerful??

PCB - I will definately be back on the board soon - just don't expect me until after Eid - no way I can diet with Eid starting next week!! (I am so excited - I am going to Muscat (Oman)!!!

Richard, I'll try not to overdo it. By the way, thanks for the SPAM warning - that was next on my list, honest!!!;)

Kater, Yours looks great!! (Whew - I though I was the only person on the planet who takes pics of nice meals I have cooked)!!!!!I did manage to find the real sushi rice here. I made a sort of sauce with 2 tablespoons rice vinegar; 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt, and mixed that with the rice whilst it was cooling - it was nice and tasty! The ones I made now were crab and salmon, each with cucumber and avocado. (None of the markets here sell sushi-quality fish, so this seemed the safest bet!)

CatDad
01-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I love sushi, those look great.

I want to come over for dinner too.:)

I didn't even know they made sushi with spam in it.:eek: Although I guess it shouldn't suprise me they make everything else out of spam. Well, I guess that I now have something to avoid. I would take Richard suggestion, no spam sushi.:)

Keep up the good work on the weight loss.

*My apologies to all the spam lovers, just personal preference:)*

EssTer
01-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Great you made them :) I hope they were good :)

By the way I don´t like sushi at all :D But my dad LOVES them :) lol

2kitties
01-26-2004, 09:48 AM
I love sushi more than any food and i'd love to learn to make it. But we don't have a good fresh fish market locally, so I wouldn't be happy with the fish.

smokey the elder
01-26-2004, 05:34 PM
I make California rolls, and sushi with cooked shrimp, eggs, veggies, etc. There are TWO places near me that DELIVER sushi! And I live on the East Coast.

Sushi rulez!:D

tatsxxx11
01-26-2004, 05:59 PM
My Japanese husband gives you a big thumbs up! Looks lots better than my first try!:D It really is an art in Japan and it takes many years of apprenticeship before one is considered a "master!" you should feel very proud of yourself!:)

Some hints...

Make sure you use only Japanese short grained rice; preferably the brands labled "sushi" rice...getting it just the right degree of "stickiness" is the hardest part and just takes practice. You'll learn from rolling, whether it's too wet or too dry. Using an electric rice cooker helps a lot!

Are you using seasoned rice vinegar to season? Most supermakets carry one or two brands; Marukan is a good one. We use about 1 TBSP. of seasoned vinegar for each cup of COOKED rice

After the rice is cooked, put it into a dampened wooden bowl if you have one, like a salad bowl.

Pour the vinegar over the rice and using a wooden spoon or a spatula, make diagnonal "cuts" across the rice, gathering rice to one side.

Once again, make the diagonal cuts across the rice. Find something you can fan the rice with and turn the rice several times. This helps the vinegar to be absorbed. Cover the rice with a damp cloth and cool to body temp.

Some things that are absolute no, no's are...

Never refrigerate sushi. It really ruins the taste and texture of the rice. If you don't eat it all at one sitting, keep it covered at room temp. but not for more than a few/several hours, especially if it contains fish!

Most Americans use WAY to much wasabi; it really ruins the delicate taste of the sushi.

If you're eating nigiri sushi (not rolled sushi, which is called maki, but the type where the fish or whatever, sits on top of the hand molded rice) dip the piece into the soy sauce/wasabi fish or top side down. Dunking the rice side into the soy sauce abosrbs too much soy sauce!

Are you serious Richard??? SPAM???:eek: lol! Actually, most people think sushi means "raw fish." Sushi simply means "seasoned rice," so technically, anything goes!:rolleyes: Sashimi is the term for individual pieces of raw piece eaten without rice:)

Of course, to each his own!:)

popcornbird
01-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy

PCB - I will definately be back on the board soon - just don't expect me until after Eid - no way I can diet with Eid starting next week!! (I am so excited - I am going to Muscat (Oman)!!!

Vacation AGAIN?!?! You just got back! :p LOL! Have fun in Oman! How long are you going for? Do you get vacation for Eid in Bahrain? Eid is on February 1st., and I don't think I can get back to diet buddies before Eid myself anyway, so after Eid is a good time to get back to work! :p

Ps. You showed us the sushi pics..........but how did it taste? :p I'm sure it was delicious!

Kater
01-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Are you serious Richard??? SPAM???:eek: lol! Actually, most people think sushi means "raw fish." Sushi simply means "seasoned rice," so technically, anything goes!:rolleyes: Sashimi is the term for individual pieces of raw piece eaten without rice:)

Yes, it's called spam musubi and it's very very popular in Hawaii!
I know! So many people equate sushi with raw fish and then when I tell them I eat sushi they get so confused!

RICHARD
01-26-2004, 06:23 PM

Are you serious Richard??? SPAM???:eek: lol!

SPAM SUSHI (HAND ROLL)

Spam strips, cooked Sato-Shayu style
Sushi rice
Nori (seaweed used to roll sushi)
Cucumber sticks
Radish sprouts
Takuwan strips (Japanese pickled radish)
Wasabi (Japanese horseradish)

SUSHI RICE:
Wash and cook 3 cups Calrose rice. While still hot, season with Vinegar Sauce, or use packaged sushi mix such as Sushi!-No-Ko.

VINEGAR SAUCE:
1/2 cup Japanese rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Cook until sugar dissolves. Cool. Sprinkle half of vinegar sauce over hot rice; mix gently. Add more vinegar sauce to taste. Or follow instuctions onpackage mix.

SATO-SHOYU STYLE:
Spam sliced or cubed.

SAUCE:
1/4 cup shoyu
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)

Bring sauce to a boil in a small pan. Add Spam, lower heat, and cook 2-3 minutes.

TO ASSEMBLE SUSHI:
Cut a sheet of nori in half. Place nori on your left hand; add a small amount of rice. Add Spam and all or some of the other ingredients. Wrap nori around the filling and toll from left to right.

---------------------

I don't kid about food!!!:eek:

tatsxxx11
01-26-2004, 06:29 PM
From one family who takes their food "seriously" to another, you dun good Richard!:D:D:D I was thinking delving into mirin, et al was more on the level of sushi 201, lol! I must defer to you, however, on the spam sushi, though I do love it eaten straight out the can! (I went to public high school, can you tell??? At that time it was called "mystery meat!") I may give it a try. I fear JT may pass out at the thought, however...sacrilegious!:rolleyes:

Kater
01-26-2004, 06:50 PM
The only way I've ever seen spam musubi made is just with spam, rice & nori.

Like this: http://starbulletin.com/96/04/04/business/musubi.gif

The "Microwave Musubi" can be explained by the accompanying article: http://starbulletin.com/96/04/04/business/story1.html

RICHARD
01-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I must defer to you, however, on the spam sushi, though I do love it eaten straight out the can! (I went to public high school, can you tell???0

I want to know what Smokey tips the drivers to get his California rolls delivered to the East Coast...;)

A funny Spam story.

The local food banks have drives outside the supermarkets-they ask for canned food donations from the shoppers.....One day I bought a few cans of SPAM to donate....My girlfriend, who knew my tastes in food asked me why I was buying it....

If I had to eat it as a kid, someone else should have the pleasure, yeah, blame it on public school:eek:

Here in Cah lee fuh nee ah there are quite a few
Sushi establishments....When it first became the craze you could go to the sushi bar and there were
Japanese gents fixing the plates....

Now my favorite Sushi place has Hispanic gents doing the rolling and sure enough there are some
specials that came up a few times on the chalkboard menu outside the restaurant -Mexico Roll sounded like fun I saw them once but haven't seen them since....

:confused:

tatsxxx11
01-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Now my favorite Sushi place has Hispanic gents doing the rolling and sure enough there are some specials that came up a few times on the chalkboard menu outside the restaurant -Mexico Roll sounded like fun I saw them once but haven't seen them since....

Mexican roll, Swiss roll, French roll (oh wait, isn't that a brioche???) Thai roll, I say, ...In the true libertarian spirit of Cah-lee-fuh-nee-ah, I defend the right of every man or woman to roll his own!:D

RICHARD
01-27-2004, 11:26 AM

Mexican roll, Swiss roll, French roll (oh wait, isn't that a brioche???) Thai roll, I say, ...In the true libertarian spirit of Cah-lee-fuh-nee-ah, I defend the right of every man or woman to roll his own!:D

lolol,

I hope no one took offense to that....But it's a true story!

It's just a small view of all the crazy stuff that you see out here......BBQ chicken pizza, Tofu pizza, Tofu milkshake.....Southwest/Middle Eastern
fusion.......

You name it, it's be changed......

:confused:

tatsxxx11
01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Speaking of fusion Richard, I've actually had people remark recently that I'm starting to look Japanese! Ahhh, we're melding! Think I've been married too long??? Guess I'll know when I wake up with two heads!:D

RICHARD
01-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Speaking of fusion Richard, I've actually had people remark recently that I'm starting to look Japanese! Ahhh, we're melding! Think I've been married too long??? Guess I'll know when I wake up with two heads!:D

:) That's funny!

I read this morning that some actress was kicked out of a sushi restaurant here in L.A. for being a pig....

Sushi Superstition???

This proves that I am impossible and crazy.

I have this thing about payday eating...On payday I would go to this sushi place order my fix, go to the store while they got it ready......pick it up and go back to work.

On Sept 7 a few years back, I was invited to the opening day of the county fair..I took the day off so I had to come to work to pick up my check-
I wanted to get some sushi to take with me but the
restaurant was closed.....I thought, 'Oh no...My routine will get all messed up.....'

I didn't realize just how much it would bother me that I missed my bi-weekly sushi fix until I woke up on September 11.......I heard the news and got up to go to work...

As I was driving in I was trying to figure out why the attacks had happened and the thought "You didn't eat sushi on Friday" came to mind......

At that point I knew I needed help...

desperately.....

You think I am joking about this but I can tell you that it is the GOD's honest truth........

MY current obession is Thai food....every payday....
:eek:

tatsxxx11
01-27-2004, 03:18 PM
You're right Richard, that is bizarre! Speaking as a medical professional, I seriously suggest you seek counseling if symptoms continue to persist! :D

And as for the well being of the rest of us

MY current obession is Thai food....every payday :eek:

Are you sure you haven't stepped on any cracks, broken any mirrors, lately? Can you spell a-v-i-a-n flu??:eek: :eek:

Today Thailand, tomorrow????????????

Whatever you do, DON'T lose your job or we're all headed for the pits of hell!;)

Southwest/Middle Eastern fusion

Hmmm, Southwest meets Middle Eastern...if I remember my geography, wouldn't that be Egyptian?;)

slick
01-27-2004, 03:34 PM
I remember years and years ago I tried to make sushi with a girlfriend of mine......

seems it does not work with Minute Rice :D :D

tatsxxx11
01-27-2004, 03:41 PM
I remember years and years ago I tried to make sushi with a girlfriend of mine...... seems it does not work with Minte Rice:D:D

ROFLMAO!!! Now students, repeat, "I will not use Minute rice, I will not use Minute rice." Sushi 101 tutorial above!:D

RICHARD
01-27-2004, 04:33 PM
You're right Richard, that is bizarre! Speaking as a medical professional, I seriously suggest you seek counseling if symptoms continue to persist! :D

Whatever you do, DON'T lose your job or we're all headed for the pits of hell!;)

Poor Ally cat.....she just wanted Sushi and we have turned it into a psychological exam of my eating habits......

Pits of Hell??

That's where I work.:eek:

RICHARD
01-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by slick
I remember years and years ago I tried to make sushi with a girlfriend of mine......

seems it does not work with Minute Rice :D :D

That is why the wrap the seaweed around it.;)

slick
01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
That is why they wrap the seaweed around it.;)
We were trying to make the other kind with the rice on the outside of the seaweed.

LOL we ended up adding tons of butter to try and make it sticky...bad mistake. Never tried it again.

I least I know my talents....cooking isn't one of them.

RICHARD
01-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by slick

LOL we ended up adding tons of butter to try and make it sticky...bad mistake. Never tried it again.

And people laughed at my SPAM sushi:confused:

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-27-2004, 11:55 PM
:)
I didn't realize just how much it would bother me that I missed my bi-weekly sushi fix until I woke up on September 11.......I heard the news and got up to go to work...

:eek:

You RUINED my birthday (9/11) !!!!

Kfamr
01-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Mmm.. I've had a craving for Sushi ever since I first read this post.

I generally don't like sushi.. but I get little cravings once in a while..

I like the cucumber rolls, I believe that's what they're called!:p

RICHARD
01-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
You RUINED my birthday (9/11) !!!!

See,

Told you I was bad news.....:(

slick
01-28-2004, 01:49 PM
http://www.astprince.com/english/sushi/indexe.html

Choose your 5 favourite sushi dishes then click on the Soy Sauce bottle to submit. It will tell your fortune. :)

A little slow to load, but hey, what else have you got to do???

Kfamr
01-28-2004, 01:54 PM
UGH!:p

This is off topic, but Slick -- Everytime I read your signature I get that song in my head! Aaaahh!:p

slick
01-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
UGH!:p

This is off topic, but Slick -- Everytime I read your signature I get that song in my head! Aaaahh!:p
And a mighty fine voice you have :D :D I guess I should change it but I'm waiting for some inspirational message to pop into my head. :rolleyes:

CatDad
01-28-2004, 03:41 PM
And people laughed at my SPAM sushi:confused:
Richard, I may not be the one that you are talking about. However, I just wanted to say that I did not laugh at the spam sushi, it is just not for me. I know that some people like spam, and to each his own. If you want to eat spam sushi please be my guest.:) The sushi place that I go to makes a roll that has smoked salmon and cream cheese and one other thing that I can never remember. I love them, but they are not exactly traditional.:)

I am in fact going for shusi tomorrow.:)

Slick, I love that song. I suprised I had not noticed it until Kay metioned it. I have been listening to it for so long that the first copy that I every owned of that song was on 8-track. I may still have that around somewhere. You should put more of the song in your sig.:)

Everybody sing the 3rd verse with me now:
Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town ?
I’m counting on you, Lord, please don’t let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town ?

That's it.:D

isis
01-28-2004, 04:06 PM
I love sushi!!:D I don't know how to make it, but I sure like to eat it!

RICHARD
01-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by CatDad
If you want to eat spam sushi please be my guest.:) The sushi place that I go to makes a roll that has smoked salmon and cream cheese and one other thing that I can never remember. I love them, but they are not exactly traditional.:)

ME???Eat spam sushi???

I'd rather stick chops sticks in my eyes...:eek:

I was hungry and wanted something to eat....I was looking thru the fridge in the cafeteria and saw SUSHI..:)

they have California rolls and a sushi/salad box and some other 'flavors'......I picked up a package to check the expiration date and then looked at what kind of sushi it was.......

SPAM!!!!! :eek:

I almost dropped the dang thing....I set it back on the shelf and backed away very carefully......I had a hamburger instead.