PDA

View Full Version : Gigi has an allergic reaction to her shot.

jenfer
01-24-2004, 04:57 PM
We went to the vet again today to get more shots (I can't believe puppies need so many shots/boosters). As usual I got a print out telling me the possible side effects. So we went home and we hang out. Gigi fell asleep, I put her in the crate and went out to get something to eat. I came home in an hour and let her out. Looks like her eye is a little bit swollen, but not very obvious. I thought I am just over-reacting. But I went to my room and looked at the print out again, it does say swelling maybe a minor side effect. I thought I will wait a little bit longer since she just woke up (you know how our eyes may look a bit swollen when we just woke up). And then she started scratching everywhere (and yes, that's the more serious effect on the sheet) and she has dandruff flying because she scratched so much and little bumps on her head (hives?!). :( So I called the vet immediately and they asked me to bring her in.
I just came home from the vet. They are keeping Gigi for a few hours to see how she is doing with the antihistamine (sp) shot and will have some medication for her for this coming week. My poor Gigi. She will miss puppy class tonite and probably miss me now. I think she will be fine. But I am just worry.

Uabassoon
01-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Poor Gigi :( I hope she feels better soon.

tatsxxx11
01-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Oh poor Gigi pup:( Good thing you got her straight off to the vet's. And it's good that she stay there a bit, just as a precaution so they can watch her. I'm sorry she's going to miss Puppy Kindergarten too. But the important thing is that she get better. Try not to worry too much, though I know that's hard. Please update us when you can, ok Jenfer? Prayers for Gigi are on the way!:) {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

K9soul
01-24-2004, 05:20 PM
It's a good thing that you were such a conscientious Mom and had the printout and were watching for the signs so you knew what to look for and what to do! Gigi sure is lucky to have such a loving and caring Momma :)

Hope she's back home with you soon!

Foam
01-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Ditto, K9soul. :D

Hope she feels better soon, dear. :(

jenfer
01-24-2004, 08:22 PM
Thank you everyone. :D

I picked her up. She is fine now. Next time when she has another shot, we will go there earlier and she will get a shot of antihistamine before the "real" shot and they are gonna keep her and monitor her to make sure she is ok.

I am relieved now. Whew...:)

tatsxxx11
01-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Whew, is right, Jenfer!!! I'm so happy to hear Gigi's home with her Mom and doing so well:) And at least now you have a protocol in place for the next time her vaccinations are due! What a great Mom you are!:) Give Gigi a big hug for me!

RubyMutt
01-25-2004, 12:01 PM
:eek: How scary! Poor Gigi :( I'm glad she's doing alright now :)

kimlovescats
01-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi Jenfer! I'm so glad that little Gigi is doing ok now!
You know, I wonder if it is a "doxie thing" because my Gretta had a serious reaction to her 1st rabies shot too!!! We had to take her for an emergency visit as well, and she was sick for a couple of days! :(

jenfer
01-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Gigi is fine now. She is very active this morning. :) Running around and very energized. :)
Kim, your baby has serious reaction to her rabies shot? Scary. I will keep an close eye on her whenever she has a shot.

Sudilar
01-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Very, very scary. I'm glad she is ok now!!

Tonya
01-25-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm glad to hear Gigi is ok. I caught this thread late. Every single time Teddy (the pom I had) got a round of shots, he had a negative reaction. It'd make him so sick and tired. I think it's common in small dogs.

RobiLee
01-25-2004, 04:08 PM
So glad that Gigi is ok now. What a scary thing to have happen. We need some Gigi pics, please!

Robin :)

Miss Meow
01-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Jen, how scary for you both! How lucky that you picked up on her reaction so quickly - I'm glad she's home now :)

micki76
01-25-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm so glad Gigi is better! We've been through that many, many times with Chester. He always has a reaction. It's nearly time for his again (March), and I'm already dreading it.

ramanth
01-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Glad Gigi is feeling better! Alergic reactions to injections are NOT fun. :(

Linda York
01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
origanally quoted by K9soul:
"It's a good thing that you were such a conscientious Mom and had the printout and were watching for the signs so you knew what to look for and what to do! Gigi sure is lucky to have such a loving and caring Momma".

I read that you are having a little rough time with your new little babie, I am sorry. But really truly it gets better! You are doing a great job. Putting her in a pen during the day was a good idea. Hang in there "jenfer", sounds like your little girl is getting more settled in everyday. Sorry to hear about the bad shot experience, very happy everything turned out good. You hang in there, you are doing a great job. :D
Just like with a new baby, you think the sleepless nights and cranky days will never end..... but they do. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. :D

KYS
01-26-2004, 06:09 PM
I am so glad that Gigi is fine now.
That is great news.