PDA

View Full Version : Parakeets

Amber
01-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Can anyone tell me about parakeets?

popcornbird
01-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Can you please be more specific? What do you want to know about parakeets Umbrella? :p

Amber
01-24-2004, 06:18 PM
lol, like How long does it take for them to be hand tamed? and can they learn to say little words? for example hello? oh yeah, and are they messy birds?

popcornbird
01-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Parakeets are generally easy to hand tame...........I have hand tamed some of my friends' keets in just an hour or so, but they were very young. :p It really depends on how much you play with/handle them. Parakeets make very sweet pets, but they do prefer to have the companionship of another bird, and while they do love to interact with people, from my experience, other birds (cockatiels, lovebirds, conures, etc.) enjoy spending time with people more. They *can* learn to talk, but I believe its rare in comparison to larger parrots.

As for being *messy*, I think all birds can be messy, but it all depends on the care their owner provides. Birds do enjoy throwing their seeds around, but getting food bowls with covers can greatly decrease the mess.

Are you planning on getting one?

Amber
01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Okay thankyou for the info poppy. My mom, wants parakeets, and my dad wants a aquariam of fish. hehe, so im trying to get him on the side for some parakeets.

Tweety_Pie
01-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Parakeets make awesome pets!!!! If you wanted a REALLY tame parakeet... only get one, but spend more time with it. If you are spending less time with it I recommend you to get two. When I got Tweety she wasn't tame..AT ALL! But I spent about 2 months working with her and she eventually came along. When I got Dexter he was hand tame, but him and Tweety got attached so Tweety became a little less tame, but she still is lol. If you want less mess, you should get a net to put around the bottom of the cage..it catches seeds and feathers (or most seeds and feathers) so it's easier to keep clean.

I will find a couple of good websites with lots of information for you :)

If you want anymore information let me know:)

Amber
01-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks!!:D