PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have HBO?

Cincy'sMom
01-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Unfortunatly, we do not, but there is going to be a documentary on Januray 27 at 7:30 pm about Shelter Dogs. it was filmed ina shelter in New York and will give a behind the scenes look at the decisions and activites of the shelter.

Here's a link to the the home page...Shelter Dogs (http://www.shelterdogs.org/)

DogLover9501
01-23-2004, 09:08 PM
I don't either :(

Amber
01-23-2004, 09:10 PM
we do, and Im gonna watch it:)

dukedogsmom
01-23-2004, 09:20 PM
I don't but while in Maryland, I got hooked on Dead Like Me. Now I can't watch it anymore! It's a great show. Also like Six Feet Under

clara4457
01-23-2004, 10:41 PM
I am definiitely planning on watching it. I have all the HBO channels. If anyone wants me to copy it for them (for their personal use), just let me know. It is supposed to be on several times during the month. You can also purchase it once it has aired on HBO - as it is part of the America Undercover series.

There is a great deal of controversy surrounding the documentary and I for one want to watch it and form my own opinion. Maybe once it airs, we can have a lively debate about it in Doghouse. :)

lovemyshiba
01-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I plan on taping it as well, since I always work on Tuesdays.

After I watch it, I would be happy to send it your way though, Amy, if you would like to see it:)

lizbud
01-24-2004, 11:06 AM
No, I don't have HBO, but I learned about this documentary
from folks here on Pet Talk. My daughter is going to tape it for
me. I've read a lot about it since, and really do want to see it.
I'd really like to know that some people here are planning on
filming this also, in case my daughter has to make an unforseen
trip out of town on business.

Shelter Dogs is being promoted by a lot of Shelter organizations.

Here is a good link for a lot of info on the film & the film makers.

http://www.shelterdogs.org/profile.htm

wolf_Q
01-24-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't have HBO, but I'd love to see it. :( Maybe I can convince Melissa to record it for me.

aly
01-28-2004, 05:02 PM
I recorded the show. I was home while recording it, but I had to leave the room after about 2 minutes. I was crying my eyes out. I am cycling it around some friends from my shelter, but I can let someone borrow it afterwards if they want to.

I heard they showed 3 euthanasias. Did they really show it or just the events leading up to it? If they show the actual euthanasia, then I will not watch it. I'm just not strong enough :(

lovemyshiba
01-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I taped it as well, and have yet to watch it.
I am afraid that it will be too sad.
I plan to watch it this evening, as my husband is out, and I can sit here and be an idiot on my own.

My copy will be going out to Cincy's Mom this week, and she is welcome to circulate it to anyone else who didnt' get to see it.

CamCamPup33
01-28-2004, 05:12 PM
I didnt see it! :( I was hoping to see it! :(

How was it?

tatsxxx11
01-28-2004, 05:46 PM
I saw the preview on HBO and that alone had me in tears. My husband taped it but I don't know if I can bear to watch it. I understand that they take a very controversial, and as they see it, compassionate stand on euthanizing. I just couldn't watch:(

lovemyshiba
01-28-2004, 05:56 PM
I am 5 minutes into it, and Aly, no you do not want to watch.

The shelter featured favors euthanasia to keeping them in kennels for their lives, and they have already shown one.
:( :( :( :(

tatsxxx11
01-28-2004, 05:59 PM
That's what I thought Emily:(:(:( You're brave.

dukedogsmom
01-28-2004, 06:07 PM
That's why I wouldn't watch it. I get tears in my eyes just going to animal control to pick up a rescue dog. I'm getting HBO hopefully within the next couple of days!

lovemyshiba
01-28-2004, 07:31 PM
I just finished watching it.
It was very good, although I do have a headache from crying.

They followed a few stories, some which ended up good, some bad:(

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but it was very hard to watch. I just sat on the floor with my 4, and hugged them all, let Abbey lick my tears away, and buried my head in her fur when I couldn't bear to watch.

mugsy
01-28-2004, 07:56 PM
I was afraid that's what it was going to be....I can't watch it. I'm like Aly...I would be depressed for months after that. Thanks for the heads up.

clara4457
01-28-2004, 08:04 PM
I watched the entire thing - and I also had tears going in the first 5 minutes. I know many people here deal with issues like this on a daily basis and it could be too painful to watch.

That being said - I hope every human being who has every made comments like, "It's just a dog" or "It is fine living outside" or "I don't want to spay/neuter my dog because puppies are so cute" or "I can't afford to take my dog to the vet" or similar comments watch and learn. Thousands and thousands of dogs are put down every year because there are not enough homes for them all.

NO MORE BREEDING

lovemyshiba
01-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by clara4457

NO MORE BREEDING

Amen, Clara!!!!!!!

Sudilar
01-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Today I was at our rescue president's house and we watched it together. She had already seen it yesterday and she wanted me to see it. I watched it objectively. It made me angry. I have some serious problems with some of this woman's actions. If there is a discussion about this topic, please let me know.

aly
01-28-2004, 11:51 PM
When I first started volunteering at shelters, I watched some of Sue Sternberg's videos. I cried and cried (didn't see euthanasia, but saw her make the decisions regarding euthanasia). I hated her with a passion. But then after talking to several other volunteers at my shelter, they helped me understand her. I think she has done a lot of good and has made several very valuable resources for shelter information. Her adoption book is really good (it has a strong emphasis on temperament testing). However, I am too soft-hearted to be able to feel ok about any euthanasia decision. She seems matter-of-fact about it on her videos (thats what makes me mad), but when she gives talks in real life, she's more compassionate. Anyway, her area is very different than my area as far as dog mixes and a greater number of questionable backyard breeders.

So I guess I have mixed thoughts on her.

What I do know is I won't be watching that video. I can't see a dog die. It'd probably kill me :eek: :( :( :(

dukedogsmom
01-29-2004, 12:04 AM
This is off topic but I saw a special one time on what happens to Greyhounds after their racing time is up. Made me sick. So I know I wouldn't like watching this, either. Aly, she probably still feels sad about it. It's just like with my job, you have to condition yourself against all the seriousness of the every day things that happen while working. I'm a dispatcher and we hear all kinds of thing but if we let everything bother us, we would all be basket cases.

aly
01-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
This is off topic but I saw a special one time on what happens to Greyhounds after their racing time is up. Made me sick. So I know I wouldn't like watching this, either. Aly, she probably still feels sad about it. It's just like with my job, you have to condition yourself against all the seriousness of the every day things that happen while working. I'm a dispatcher and we hear all kinds of thing but if we let everything bother us, we would all be basket cases.

Yeah, I realized she was sad about it after I saw her speak in person. I tried to say that in my previous post, but it didn't come out right, hehe. I know she has to sort of turn herself off sometimes. After being in the business for 20 years, she has to or she'd be insane by now!

clara4457
01-29-2004, 05:19 AM
I also would like to engage in a discussion about the documentary, but I obviously don't want to spoil it for those people who have not seen it. There were parts in it that disturbed me deeply.

My fear is that a discussion of it would cause many hurt feelings. On my shelter trainers group, it is always a hot topic. Even though all are in support of temperment testing and many have to make the same hard decisions she does, heated debates happen at times. It has basically been determined that on this topic "We all agree to disagree".

Sudilar
01-29-2004, 07:11 AM
There is a discussion on the GSDbb that is very interesting. I personally thought that she had it in for that CockerSpaniel. That disturbed me greatly. .......I can't say more, it will give it away to those who haven't seen it. Let me know if a discussion pops up.

lovemyshiba
01-29-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Sudilar
There is a discussion on the GSDbb that is very interesting. I personally thought that she had it in for that CockerSpaniel. That disturbed me greatly. .......I can't say more, it will give it away to those who haven't seen it. Let me know if a discussion pops up.

That is exactly what bothered me the most.

It seems as though she really pushed him to his limits.

Maybe we could start a discussion in the Dog House?

Tina
01-29-2004, 09:17 AM
I watched some of it but it was just to sad:( So I didn't finish watching it. The cocker spaniel part really got to me. I felt sick to my stomach.

Some people were talking about it at the BoxerWorld board also. How disturbing it was.:(

dukedogsmom
01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
What is temperament testing? And could someone pm me with the info about the cocker spaniel?

clara4457
01-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Temperment testing is when a animal behaviorist go through a series of tests to determine a dog's temperment. Generally the test inludes things such as:

Food aggression (can you touch them or their food bowl while they are eating

Resource guarding (can you take toys or rawhides away from them)

Dominant traits or submissive traits

Reactions to sudden noises (do they startle easy and cower, or do the react but are then curious)

Reactions to small animals (prey drive)

Reactions to small children (to determine if they can live in a household with small children)

Dog on Dog aggression

Most shelters use them to determine the kind of home a particular dog should go to. With/without other dogs or cats. With/without children. In a home with an exprienced dog owner. That kind of thing. Sometimes they are used to determine whether or not a dog is aggressive and should be euthanized.

I can pm you the details on the cocker spaniel, but I am not sure you can really understand unless you see it.

lizbud
01-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Please can we you all wait till next week to discuss the
video? My daughter was to tape it & send it to me. Maybe
someone could start a discussion, whatever next week. I
hope to get the tape & view it this weekend. O.K. ?

And please don't put this in the Dog House. I have never seen a serious subject yet in DH that has stayed on a sane level as an exchange of thoughts & ideas and not turned into some kind of
a freak show. I'd like to discuss the film with folks after I do see
it, but don't want to argue or put down someone else's feelings
about it.

ramanth
01-29-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't have HBO but Andy does, however his VCR is broken. :(

I'd really like to see this, but I'm afraid if I am able to catch it on tv at his house, that his roomies would make fun of me. (They already harrass me enough about how much Animal Planet I watch. :( :mad: )

If someone could send me a tape, I'd pay for shipping costs.

(btw.. I can't figure out the schedule. What's the difference between HBO - East and HBO -West? East coast, West coast?)

lovemyshiba
01-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Kimmy--
HBO East (our regular HBO here) is east coast, and HBO West is west coast.
If I miss Sex In the City at nine, on channel 2, I can always catch it at midnight on 551:)

clara4457
01-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Kimmy - it is showing again on Saturday afternoon here. If you don't find anyone closer to tape it for you, just PM me. I will tape it and ship it out for you.

Might take a few days to get there, but I'll be happy to do it if you want me to.

wolf_Q
01-29-2004, 03:04 PM
I thought my friend Melissa had HBO so she was going to tape it for me...turns out she really didn't have HBO lol.

If anyone taped it, I'd really like to see it...I'll pay for shipping costs.

SadiesDad
01-29-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm still having trouble postingunder my name, but we are getting the tape from Emily and she has said it can be passed on. So Kim, Amy, or anyone else, let meknow andI'll forward it after we get it

clara4457
01-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Pssst - I am going to have a copy ready for download on Sunday or Monday. It won't be the best quality (avi format), but if any one wants a copy - pm me.

ramanth
01-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks lovemyshiba! :)

Originally posted by clara4457
Kimmy - it is showing again on Saturday afternoon here. If you don't find anyone closer to tape it for you, just PM me. I will tape it and ship it out for you.

Might take a few days to get there, but I'll be happy to do it if you want me to.
Normally I'd be at Andy's house over the weekend, but he's going to be in Chicago, so I'll be at my parents and they don't have cable.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could send me a copy clara. :) I'll PM you. :)