PDA

View Full Version : To all the Wonderful PetTalkers

Sevens
01-23-2004, 12:13 PM
I am so glad everybody is the way they are on here....understanding and fun in general. I am so glad this is an active board with wonderful interesting people on it.

I've on and off visited another board because I thought it was about dogs and possibly interesting. I am now swearing off this board. There is one nut-job there who completely has it out for pit bulls. She always downs on them, she says people who own them are generally vicious felons (funny, I've only ever got 1 parking ticket), etc. etc. etc. Whenever there is a pit bull attack in the news, she is always the first one to post it and be like "See! I was right!", nevermind there may be other issues in play besides "it's a pitbull".

Thank goddess when it comes to issues about specific breeds, I have yet to actually see anybody on this board say "Rotties are awful or pit bulls are awful or dobies are awful" or whatever. I am just so glad that this board is not like that one. It seems that's all they can fight about is the nut job and her obsession with pit bulls. That site literally made me feel like I was going to throw up my lunch.

I'm just saying, I love coming here because even when people get in the occasional fight, it's not arguing ALL THE TIME, 24/7. It happens, then we move on. KUDOs to all you PTers on the site, it wouldn't be a wonderful place without each and every one of you.

HUGS!:D

slick
01-23-2004, 12:30 PM
AH HA!!! I just knew the addiction would settle in sooner or later.:D

I agree that this is a wonderful site and we all need to take part in keeping it that way. I stay out of all the arguments because I've got better things to read and it is nice that those involved will come back with head up high and apologize. It shows maturity.

I'm so glad to have you part of the Pet Talk Community. Kisses to your pups! I know a PB named Lucy and all she wants to do is play and kiss you all over. I used to know a couple of Dobermans and your greatest fear is having them use your feet as a pillow to rest their heads on. As for Rotties, well, my friend has one named Kilo and again, he is as loving as any dog could be. I just don't understand people that say bad things about them.

Hugs back.:)

stacwase
01-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Pet Talk is full of wonderful people. It makes such a big difference in all our lives. I don't think there's any other internet community like it.

robinh
01-23-2004, 01:05 PM
I, for one, am glad to have you here. I like to hear about different types of dogs, people and issues. And besides, how can you not love to see these faces?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid84/pb6215f38f317fa67e2ba5d4d9763e82d/facf1334.jpg

From my experience with different kind of breeds, most of the times, it's not the dog - it's the OWNER! It's like kids - they become what you teach them.

lovemyshiba
01-23-2004, 01:25 PM
We're so glad you are here too!!!!!

I have never personally known a pittie, but I would love too!!! It's obvious that the nutjob on the other board hasn't either--or else she wouldn't be putting them down so much!!!!

As for the other "vicious" breeds--I have on in my house right now--OMG--she's asleep on the steps--look out!!!!!!:D

Moose
01-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Awww...I feel my eyes tearing up. ;):p

We're all so glad to have you here, as well.

I mentioned this last night to Kay and Val that I honestly don't know what I did before I joined Pet Talk. I'm always reading the boards and talking to people from PT on AIM. :)

Vicious breeds? Psh...I hate when people single certain breeds out just because they think they are dangerous. :rolleyes: I, for one, love the Pit Bull/Rottie/Dobie/etc. breeds...and I'd own one in a second. Most of my favorite dogs on this board are one of "those" breeds. :)

Karen
01-23-2004, 01:50 PM
The founding principle of this board is "We know every pet is special." Not "We know every pet that isn't a [name the breed] is special!" And we also know that every person is special, too! I am glad you like it here - we like you, too! Okay, now more pooch pictures! ;)

RICHARD
01-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Sevens

I've on and off visited another board because I thought it was about dogs and possibly interesting.

Every once in a while someone posts a comment like yours..

I refuse to believe that there are any other pets boards out there. ;)

Well, none like Pet Talk...:D

clara4457
01-23-2004, 11:09 PM
II've on and off visited another board because I thought it was about dogs and possibly interesting. I am now swearing off this board. There is one nut-job there who completely has it out for pit bulls. She always downs on them, she says people who own them are generally vicious felons (funny, I've only ever got 1 parking ticket), etc. etc. etc. Whenever there is a pit bull attack in the news, she is always the first one to post it and be like "See! I was right!", nevermind there may be other issues in play besides "it's a pitbull".:D

Volunteering at a city shelter, we get comments like this all the time. I just tell them that statistically more Chihuahuas bite people than pit bulls. That usually shuts them up. :D

I also love this board. I belong to several different bulliten boards and some of them are specific to dog training, or dog behavior or shelter issues (and I do enjoy them) - but this is my favorite all around pet loving board.

Denyce
01-24-2004, 08:03 AM
All dogs are different. Yes. Certain breeds are bred for certain traits. But just because a breed has a more aggressive personality doesn't mean they are ALL vicious. To assume so just displays ignorance.

However, in saying that perhaps she had a really bad experience with a pitty? Some people just can't get past those. I have been attacked twice in my life by Rotties. Are they my favorite breed now? No. Do I hate them all? NO! But I have to admit I am more cautious with them. Of course on the other side of that I was bitten by a Chihuahua when I was a child. It just wasn't as tramatic of an attack as the Rotties.

The first time was on my horse. There was a woman that bred Rotties down the street from where I boarded my horse. She had brought the stud dog over from Germany. He wasn't a very nice dog. She had to control him with a stick with a chain loop? With horses we called them twitches. Anyway....I was riding my horses down the street. I was about 15 and was just enjoying a sunny CA afternoon....I was bareback and barefooted. The stud dog and 2 of her bitches came busting out of her home and attacked us.

Now thank the fates that it was me they attacked and not some little kid on their ponies. My horse was an Appaloosa that had been born and raised on a range in Idaho. He was a savvy, calm, collected fighter. He didn't panic...he didn't buck....he didn't rear...he didn't do anything that would have caused me to fall. He spun in circles...striking out with one hoof at a time...reaching and snaking his head attempting to bite the dogs...all the while I have my legs drawn up like a jockey and am screaming at the top of my lungs for help. He didn't even try to bolt and run from them even though we were in sight distance from his stable.

The owner came running out and got the two bitches but the stud just wouldn't leave off. He had a taste of blood. We were near a major highway....for any that know the area it was Encinitas Blvd. A gentleman stopped who had karate experience and he was able to get in there and kick the dog in the ribs and send it rolling...the owner was then able to grab the dog.

My horse had a torn up muzzle...bits on all his lower legs and several severe bites on his upper haunches where they leaped up and grabbed ahold of him. But he protected me...even afterwards when they had the dogs and I was able to slide off he just stood there with his head against me chest and trembled with blood running down his legs.

But I still don't hate Rotties with a passion. We didn't press charges or insist she destroy the dog. She paid the vet bills which were considerable. I believe she sold the stud to someone else after that. I just always shuddered to think what might have happened if it had been one of the neighborhood children on a Shetland riding by instead of me with my range savvy Appy.

Denyce

lbaker
01-24-2004, 08:45 AM
I think the main difference on this board is that the "pets" we have are part of our family. Not "show off pets" to boast about and brag over. We don't gloat over how one is better than another wheather it be a buffalo (oh I loved that buffalo!) A frog, a monkey or a "regular" dog cat bird or rattie, bunny or three or four (or, ahem, 11 different varieties). When we get outraged at a situation it's more an outrage of the situation that caused it, usually which could have been avoided with proper manners and intellegence.
Laurie

smokey the elder
01-24-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm actually a little afraid of Great Danes because my parents had one that went after me when I was playing tug of war. Danes sometimes get strange as they get older, and I figured it was a combination of previous abuse (he was adopted) and poor husbandry. But since then most Danes I've met have been sweeties, so I'm less afraid of them. Goes to show that any one breed can cause a bad experience, but you shouldn't judge the whole breed by it.

trayi52
01-24-2004, 09:38 AM
I used to think they weren't so great either, but after joining this board, I found out different. I found out they are just as loving as anyother dog. I fear it is the people that give and cause them to have a bad name.

So if this particular woman is so blind that she can only rant about them, she is the ignorant one, and one of those stupid people that gives them a bad name!

It is like guns, guns don't kill, it is when they are in the hands of a killer. The pittbull is just abused by so many people using them the wrong way. I say the pit bull is a very sweet and loving dog. I would just watch out for the people.

Willie

Kfamr
01-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Would you mind giving me a link to this site, either through posting, PM, or IM? I'd love to give this lady some knowledge, if she isn't too thick-headed already. Even so, i'd love to try.

trayi52
01-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Go KayAnn!! You go girl!!

Moose
01-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Oh man, KayKay's mad...that lady is in for it. ;):p

Sevens
01-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Good luck Kayann, I IM'd you the info.

She's impossible to get through to though. A lot of pit bull owners on there have tried to set her straight. She spews her crap, and she's got the moderators on her side.
I only found this site cause a pit bull site that I go to has members on the same board. She sarcastically refers to anybody who defends pit bulls as the "Pit Bull Pep Squad".

Also, she's paranoid. She thinks people are trying to find her off the internet and come to her house or something. Like the "vicious felon pit bull owners". She won't even refer to her dog's proper name or breed. She calls it Wombat. She's like "I've trained Wombats for many years". :rolleyes:

Very weird..:confused:

K9soul
01-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Wow that lady really does sound like a nut case.

As for Pet Talk, I've visited various pet chat places off and on through the years and never really found one that I connected with.. until now! I truly love it here and find already so many people and pets that I hold dear to my heart. It's so special to be able to share with others our love of our pets with those who feel the same way. Like you said, I haven't seen anyone here judgemental to others about what types of pets they have. People with purebred dogs and cats aren't talking down to people with mixed breeds, and vice versa. Like Karen said, every single pet is treated as the very special individuals that they are!

This is a wonderful community, and I'm very happy to be here!

CatDad
01-24-2004, 07:03 PM
She calls it Wombat. She's like "I've trained Wombats for many years".
I saw this and it made to laugh.:D It really takes all types. Let her know that just by being on the internet she can be traced. It is not easy, but it can be done. That should really scare her.:) Maybe she will stop getting online.

I am sure that this has been tried, but ask why she has anything to say about dogs if she trains wombats.;)

As for Pet Talk, I think it is one of the best boards I have every been on. It is so nice to come to a place that I can talk about my babies and not be thought of as a little off. I am a little off, but people don't need to know that.;) It is just a great community.:D

dukedogsmom
01-24-2004, 07:25 PM
KayAnn, can you send me the link? I want to sit back and be an observer :D This female(won't call her a lady) sounds like a real nut job. Isn't is scary that people like this walk freely around us?

trayi52
01-24-2004, 07:25 PM
This is what I wanna know, WHAT does a Wombat look like? I want one!

Bryan, we just think you are a very sensitive person. A man that isn't afraid to tell how much he loves his pets. A very, large hearted person. I say that takes a real man to be able to admit that.

But on to the wombats, I would really like to see pictures of her wombats? ;)

dukedogsmom
01-24-2004, 07:31 PM
I agree, tray. I just wish there were more men like him. Sure aren't any around here where I am. More power to you, Bryan!

trayi52
01-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Well the thing about a lot of men, is that they are afraid if they admit they love their pets, or flowers, then that threatens their manhood. A real man does not worry about having his manhood threatened, because he knows he is a man. I believe it was Dr. Joyce Brothers that said years ago, that a real man isn't afraid to admit these things. The men that aren't real men hide behind an image that says 'hey I hate cats, flowers and so on. Hate that in a man.

Just needs to be more men out there like Bryan! Then we mothers of daughters would feel more sure that their daughters are marrying a nice sensitive person!

Sorry I got way off topic! Oops!

Willie

CatDad
01-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Ok, you asked. Here is information on Wombats:

Wombats are large burrowing mammals that are found only in Australia and Tasmania. Since wombats are quite timid and are primarily nocturnal, they're difficult to observe in their natural habitat. Consequently they have not been well studied.

There isn't an abundance of detailed data available about wombats, and what there is is often contradictory.

Pictures, they are kind of cute really:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pada15a00230f066122709a29a763a9e2/f9d67462.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pa617ad74b0dabbd73b72362ccaa95f30/f9d67466.jpg

Remeber you asked.;):D

Thanks for the compliments you two. Everyone has a sensitive side, if they acknowledge it or not. I believe that is really all just a balance. Too many people(men and women), have streotypes and try to live up to those. It is sad really. Just be who you are and you will be a lot happier.

Sorry for the interuption. Back to the real topic. How great Pet Talk is.:D

trayi52
01-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Maybe she is breeding Wombats? LOL! We should ask how much she charges for her Wombats....My husband now wants a Wombat! Leave it to him to want something like that!

On with the topic!

That is one of the good things about being here, we go off topic and we are forgiven!

I love Pet Talk!

Willie

HoRsELUvR
01-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Right on!:D Pet Talk really is great, isnt it?:D