PDA

View Full Version : Some Good Thoughts for Bob and Joey(CatDad too)

CatDad
01-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Well the time has come to take my babies to the vet for teeth cleanings.:eek: The vet has been watching it for a few years with Bob and said that it was probably a good idea for both of them. She said that she held off for as long as she could but the time has come.

We go tomorrow morning. I need good thoughts because getting Joey into that carrier is not the easiest thing to do. I have the battle scars to prove it.:eek: I am getting better at it howerver, we get less chasing every time. I think that will be the most tramatic part of the trip. Joey was just starting to eat in the kitchen again too. Darn it.

Well Joey will get over this too, each time she has to go she gets over being scared a little faster. I think that she is starting to realize that this is really her home and even though I take her to that nasty place she always gets to come back.:)

I am also waiting to see haow Bob reacts to not having food all night. This is going to be fun.:rolleyes:

I am also having thier nails trimmed. Trying to get it all done at once. I was joking with the vet tech that usually does Bobs nails, that it will be the easiest trim that she has ever done on Bob.:)

I know that everything will be fine. However, I think that a few extra good thoughts are always a good idea for stuff like this.:)

Well that is about it. I promise to post some picture tomorrow. I actually have the day off, yea for me.:D

Logan
01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Bryan, you have my complete sympathy!!! Butter is a nightmare to get into the carrier!! :eek:

We've had his teeth cleaned once, and just tonight, I was noticing that he has horrible "kitty breath", once again, so it is probably time to have it done again. Mimi has only had it done once in her 14+ years. She has grown up on dry food, and still eats it, but I guess at this point, her teeth are what they are going to be and I won't put her through the anesthesia again.

Hope Bob and Joey (and you) will survive tomorrow!!!

Logan

RedHedd
01-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Good thoughts going your way that your two come through with flying colors - and dazzling white teeth!

The hard part is keeping them away from food and water after midnight; it's even more difficult in the morning before you take them in -- they will torture you, looking up at you pitifully with those eyes that no cat guardian can say no to trying to convince you that you are starving them to death.

At least you're doing them both at the same time, so you won't have the experience I had with having to starve two cats twice. :rolleyes: Instead of starving cats, your wallet may be a bit emptier :p

And the nail trimming - :D I had them do Mishi's too while he was knocked out -- easiest time they've ever had with him.

I'm sure they'll both be fine!

kimlovescats
01-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Best of luck to you, Bob and Joey! I'm sure everything will be fine, and you will ALL be happy to be back home when it's all said and done!!! GOOD THOUGHTS COMING YOUR WAY! Oh, and ENJOY your day OFF!:)

cutie_chica
01-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Good luck with the kitties. :)

Laura's Babies
01-23-2004, 01:05 AM
I don't understand cats that are afraid of their carriers. I raise all mine to sleep in them anytime they want, keeping their favorite blanket and toys in there and keep them where they can nap in there anytime they want. If it is only a "box" that is used when they have to go to the vet, of coarse they are scared of them but if you leave it where they can get into them anytime and tempt them into getting in them with treats, toys and such and they see they can go in and out, having their own "private" place, then they get use to it. MY rule here is when they are in them, NOBODY is allowed to mess with them! I could post countless pictures of Chester in his or Gizzy in hers. My babies love them and are all to ready to get into them when I pick them up and set it down in the middle of the floor. In fact, Gizzy went along for the ride with Amy to the vet the other day because she refused to get out of it! To them, that is their very own room, as it should be!
Chester in his
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p4096a4e0295e34c0fa24300ec2ae9b48/f9db1bff.jpg

Amy in hers
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p2c4d9f157d54d981a7fe18ecfcfe4889/f9db1d9e.jpg

And by the way, I ALWAYS belt mine into the car with the seat belt since they are precious cargo!

Miss Meow
01-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Will be thinking of all three of you for the big day. {{{hugs and big treats for Bob and Joey when it's all over!}}}

Killearn Kitties
01-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Positive thoughts coming your way for the vet visit. I'm sure all will go well. Enjoy your day off!!

Kirsten
01-23-2004, 04:51 AM
More positive thoughts are on their way... :) Good luck at the vet's!

Kirsten

Barbara
01-23-2004, 04:56 AM
Best thoughts on their way.

Filou and Tigris have had their tooth cleaned before (Filou needs it every one and a half year:eek: ). I agree with Redhedd: the worst thing is the night before -for you more than for the cats (most of the PT kitties are not really threatened by a night with no food).

Anyway I also am always nervous before -but they feel better after that (the first time Filou had started to become grumpy because of his tooth problems and bleeding gingiva) and they smell much better when they kiss you:)

Craftlady
01-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Will keep good thoughts for today.
Butterscotch come to find out when we took the gang to Skinny's vet that he has teeth issues. Oue old vet never mentioned this problem. :( Our new vet wants me to try to brush them and see what results I can get. Since I was a dental asst years back I laughed and commented this should be interesting.

Anyone have any success? I've got to make a trip to PetSmart and get supplies. Unfortunately, the store is 25 mile one-way trip with the weather being bad this weekend guess we will try for next weekend to make the trip.

jenluckenbach
01-23-2004, 05:44 AM
Lots of thoughts to the cats with their teeth cleaning.

I think out of all my 15 cats, only 1 (possibly 2) hate it. That is because they EAT in their carriers.
So to them CARRIER = FOOD !!!
;)

An Bryan, I am glad that you stated that "Each time Joey has to go into thr carrier she recovers from the trauma faster". I have always believed this and am using this exact argument to try to de-sensitize a couple of foster cats. It's kinda like tough love and it's nice to know that other people have the same experience. :)

catcrazylady
01-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Good Luck Bob and Joey!! It will all be over soon and you'll be back home in no time!!
Bryan your torture is about to begin!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif First you have to suffer through those pathetic looks about no food, then the trauma of getting them in their carriers. You would think that would be the worst of it but it's not. Now you have to wait and worry!! You know they wil be ok, but there is always worry in the back of your mind. You just cant wait to get them home.
Finally they are home! Now they won't hardly speak to you for a couple of days!!! *sigh*
Gotta love em!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

stacwase
01-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Well - today's the big day! Let us know how nobly they fought the carriers.

ramanth
01-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Best of luck to you! :D Logan hates the carrier, but Zam will go in willingly if I toss in some treats. LOL!

CatDad
01-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Thank you to all, for the nice words and good thoughts.:) It does help.

Well, they are at the vet.

The Joey, as expected, did not want to go. Can you blame her? I only have a few wounds, and only one wound that bled this time.:) We also didn't play chase around the house, although she did try. I was just a little faster this time.

Bob, didn't put up a fight, which is usual. I put on his harness and off we went. He complains in the car and that is about it.

So overall it wasn't a horrible experience. I still feel a little traumatized though.:eek: Now the worst part, waiting for them to come home. The house just isn't the same without them. Like I have said I know that it will be OK, but I still worry.

Everyone was right, the worst part is not being able to give them treats. Every time I walked into the kitchen there they were staring at me. Bob has a really good pathetic, I'm hungry look. It broke my heart, because he really loves to eat. However, I held strong, it is for thier own good.

I will let everyone know how they are later today when they get home.:)

gini
01-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Aw, Bryan, they will soon be home where they belong.

The part I hate is when Rascal tries and tries to tell me he is hungry - and just cannot understand why I am so stupid to not get what he is saying.

Laura's Babies
01-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Amy has to go in to be "fixed" next week.. She too, can not eat. If I don't leave food out for them at night, they wake me up in the wee hours wanting to eat! Do you shut the one up in a room where it crys all night alone? Or do you let them all go hungry until you get her out of the house? What would YOU do??

RedHedd
01-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh no! Don't shut them up in a room all alone and starving! Let them be hungry and thirsty but be sure to give them extra lovies and let them know that they are special and you will make it up to them when they return from the white coats.

CatDad
01-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree, with RedHedd. Leave them all out and take up the food. It won't hurt them to be without for 12 hours or so and you can give them love that way and the routine is more normal. The others can eat as soon Amy has left for her 'visit'.

Well I have vacuumed including Joey's part of the closet, cleaned there litter boxes and the water fountain, brushed off there post, cleaned the bathroom, and I am almost done with the laundry. I am running out of things to do. I don't sit still and wait well, does it show.;)

kimlovescats
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Glad it went off fairly well, with little blood loss! Bless your heart, you are such a worried Dad.... it will be JUST FINE!!! ;) Hey, as long as you are looking for things to do while waiting, would you mind cleaning MY house!!!!????:eek: :D

Hang in there ... your babies will be home, and please do keep us updated!!!:)

jenluckenbach
01-23-2004, 02:44 PM
would you mind cleaning MY house
ummmm
and MINE too???

CatDad
01-23-2004, 03:02 PM
:D:D:D

Thanks for the smile you two. I needed that.

If you lived just a bit closer I would probably consider it at this point.;)

Well, since I am looking for something to do I think I will gather up some pictures and post them.

Hopefully I will hear something in the next couple of hours.

Barbara
01-23-2004, 03:08 PM
To Laura: you'll have to accept that sleep won't be the same when the cats are hungry. But it's just one night - and the next night everyone will be ok. Of course I don't have the heart to feed one and let the other starve!

To Bryan: my kítties are only on a virtual cruise and I miss them already. How shouldn't you miss them when they are away in purrson!

Everything will be just fine:)

Laura's Babies
01-23-2004, 04:43 PM
I was really wondering how I should do that, they do get insistant when they are hungry, don't they? Chester usually just sits by his food bowl and looks at it, looks at me, looks at it, looks at me, and you can almost hear that paw going "tap,tap,tap,tap"!

By the way Dad, let us know soon as you hear anything... if it takes to long you can come clean mine too... Or come rock Amy!

CatDad
01-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Ok, being an overly anxious father, I called the vet since I had not heard from them.:rolleyes:

They both came through fine. Bob is still a little out of it and so would like to keep an eye on him, they told me to come down and get them at 5.

So only a couple of hours and I can go get them. YEA!!

I do miss them, I find myself glancing at there normal spots expecting them to be there. Oh well, all will be OK in a couple of hours.

I am pretty sure that you do not mind. However, I just wanted to say Thank you for putting up with my constant updates.;)

RedHedd
01-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Don't mind at all. Thanks for the updates. Mishi was worse than Mitzi - he looked stoned and was out of it the whole evening after, wouldn't talk, wouldn't eat; just slept and gazed off into the ozone with a very dazed look in his HUGE eyes :rolleyes: It was kinda funny, although I worried about him losing his voice. Mitzi bounced into the apartment and immediately demanded food and wanted to play. They're so different sometimes.

CatDad
01-23-2004, 07:53 PM
The babies are home and all is well in the house again!:D

I went and picked them up and it was actually not that bad of a price considering I had 2 kitties done. Still not cheap, but better then I had imagined. Joey being her normal scared self and was very subduded, she is getting a good reputation at the vet. Bob on the other hand was a brat. He was hissing at anyone who walked by his cage. He is not getting good marks for maners at the vet. They made me go to the back and get him, no one wanted to get bit. I can understand that. He was fine with me.

Joey is fine if a little freaked out. Still she did not run straight to her closet. She hid under the futon, which is her place to eat when she is kind of scared. However, as I was writting she came down and said hi. I know that it does not sound like much, but believe me it is huge. I know she will not let me approach her yet, but the fact that she is out and about is really great.

Bob is out and not acting mad at all. He demanded food right away, but that is Bob. He sounds a little funny. So I called the vet and they said that it was due to the tube that they have to use during surgery to help them breathe. They said that is may last up to a couple of days, but that if he still sounds funny on Monday to call them.

Last, but definately not least, I just wanted to say thank you again, for everything. It always help to have someone else there and the good thoughts helped I am sure.:D

Cataholic
01-23-2004, 08:20 PM
CatDad,
I just saw this whole thread!!!! I am so glad to hear Bob and Joey are happy, healthy, and smiling whitely, after their trip to the vets.

CatDad
01-23-2004, 08:39 PM
OMG!!!!!:D:D:D

Joey just came down and sat one me while I was on the couch!

Doing the happy dance.:D I am really glad that I am home alone.:eek:;)

So I guess I am fogiven. I am sure that she will be a little more skittish then normal, for a while at least. However, she has NEVER been out and about this fast after a visit to the vets. She has also, never gotten that close to me after comming home.

Sorry this is just so GREAT!!! I had to share.:D

The Bob has fogiven me too, but that was not really a worry for me. We had to brush his ruff out because I guess he drooled all over himself while he was comming out from the effects of the drugs.:) My special drooling boy.:D

RedHedd
01-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Aww sweet kitties! Welcome home with your dazzling white smiles! Sounds like they both did well. My two really enjoyed the wet food that the vet recommended for the first few days - I spoiled 'em rottener and I suspect you'll do the same for your two. Welcome home kitties! :)

Craftlady
01-23-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm curious about cost, because Butterscotch may have to have his teeth cleaned if I cant get them in shape brushing myself. I know their pet insurance doesn't cover the cost :(

Lorraine
01-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Very glad to hear that Bob and Joey's visit went well!

CatDad
01-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Craftlady, I know that all vets are different. However, it was about 120 per cat. The vet runs dental specials every January so that is part of the reason that I had it done now. I think I got 20 off per cat. I also saw some group discounts for them, which I have no idea why. Maybe because I spent so much in November. So without the special and the 'group discount', I would say about 150 or 160.

Now I did not have to have blood work done because Joey had a bunch done on thanksgiving with her stuff, and I can't remember why but Bob had some done about 6 Months ago, and he is young enough and has been healthy, so they went with that. I think that would have added around 50.

If you have anymore questions, please let me know. I would be happy to answer.

RedHedd, my vet didn't give me special food. They said to just feed them there normal food, just in smaller portions tonight.

Craftlady
01-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks for information, CatDad. I hope I can do the teeth brushing myself. I was a dental asst. years back so that should help. :D and I won't forget to use a hockey mask and gloves. I'm hoping next weekend to get to PetSmart and buy the necessary supplies. We have to plan ahead to go since it's 26 miles one way to get there. Gotta love living in the sticks. NOT

shais_mom
01-24-2004, 12:11 AM
I am glad they have forgiven you!!!
Kylie goes in on the 5th of Feb for her's!!! First one!!!

jazzcat
01-24-2004, 12:19 AM
I'm so glad your furkids are back home safe and sound (and with whiter smiles). Great news about how quickly Joey is coming out and about. Sounds like she missed her Daddy!

I went through this with Ripley last Feb. when he had his dental for the first time. I was a nervous wreck the whole day. Wished I'd been a member here at that time so I could have had all the great support to get me through.

Now when all the drooling stops I expect to see pics of those pearly whites!

Killearn Kitties
01-24-2004, 05:58 AM
Aww good news about Bob and Joey, I'm glad they have forgiven you so quickly.:D

ChrisH
01-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Good news that Joey and Bob are back home from their trip to the vets. And wonderful news in how well Joey came around, I can imagine how good you felt when she sat on you! :)

Please give the beautiful ones a kiss each from me.

rg_girlca
01-24-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm so glad to read that Bob & Joey are back home and doing well. Especially Joey. It's nice when they don't stay mad at us for too long. I'm also glad that daddy can relax now cause I have to admit that I was a little envious reading about how you were cleaning around the house and even doing laundry.
Hey Bryan, any tips on how I can get my hubby to do even half of what you did? When I talk to him about it, it just falls on deaf ears.

CatDad
01-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Just wanted to say thanks.

I will try to post pictures of there clean teeth, that is a difficult one though, but I will try.:)

You don't know how glad I am that I am forgiven. I didin't expect it so quick.

I also really wanted to reply to Lorraine. :D:D:D:D

I wish I had the answer for you. Maybe you can try to make it into a game for him.:) I have almost always been like this, not always as industrious as I was yesterday. You could also just not do it and see if he picks up the slack, although that may backfire on you. I know maybe I could start classes on cleaning for men.

rg_girlca
01-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Bryan, been there, done that and it definitely backfired on me.:mad:
MMMMM classes on cleaning for men. You may have stumbled onto something there. Sounds like a good idea. If and when you have everything set up, please let me know okay. I will have the hubby there in a heartbeat.;)