PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice? •Pictures Included!!•

Dogz
01-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Whenever I take a picture of Digger his eyes turn green. It turns like that in every single picture except for outside. Any advice?

Here are two pictures I just took of my handsome boy.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p79e1d26340ae2fbd09ad06d27da667ae/f9dbc52a.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p0001987154f3f2c32c26eba43873559f/f9dbc596.jpg
:D

GoldenRetrLuver
01-22-2004, 07:56 PM
CUUUUTE! :D
It's because the flash is on. Sometimes, my pictures come out like that too. Do you have a program that you can do a little touch up on it, like getting rid of red eye?

Dogz
01-22-2004, 08:02 PM
I know it's the flash, but I have to use it or else the pictures turn out dark-- especially with Digger. I have a program to fix red eye, but if the place isn't bright red, it doesn't work. If the eye is green, you have to use this other tool, and it makes the eyes look so UNrealistic.

Cookiebaker
01-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Malone's does the same thing. I have found turning on really bright lights, turn off the flash and hold *really* still, and I get lots better pictures. Hope that helps! :) (Sunlight is actually the best lighting instead of a lamp in my opinion)

Cookiebaker
01-22-2004, 08:03 PM
p.s. Digger is *still* adorable even with green eyes, and I just love his bandana :)

Dogz
01-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
Malone's does the same thing. I have found turning on really bright lights, turn off the flash and hold *really* still, and I get lots better pictures. Hope that helps! :) (Sunlight is actually the best lighting instead of a lamp in my opinion)

Thanks, Anna! I will give this a try.:)

Pam
01-22-2004, 08:12 PM
I have lots of trouble with green eyes, red eyes, glowing eyes, etc. You name it! Every once in a while I get a good shot though. Anna has some good ideas and I agree that natural light works the best, especially with a black dog. Digger is adorable and I love your new signature, although I loved the last one too. I am noticing Otis in the background there behind Digger. Was he being naughty, chewing on something he shouldn't? LOL! It doesn't look quite like a toy to me. LOL!

stacwase
01-22-2004, 08:21 PM
If your camera has "red-eye reduction" that should help. It flashes twice and takes the photo on the second flash. The first flash helps to contract the pupil so you won't get red eye. Usually if you're looking for it on your camera it looks like and eye with a line through it.

Also if you take the photo in a brighter area - like in the daytime near a window or outdoors - then even if you use the flash you shouldn't have the problem as much, because the dog's pupils will be smaller and the flash won't reflect off the back of the eye as bad.

Hope this helps!

Dogz
01-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Pam
I have lots of trouble with green eyes, red eyes, glowing eyes, etc. You name it! Every once in a while I get a good shot though. Anna has some good ideas and I agree that natural light works the best, especially with a black dog. Digger is adorable and I love your new signature, although I loved the last one too. I am noticing Otis in the background there behind Digger. Was he being naughty, chewing on something he shouldn't? LOL! It doesn't look quite like a toy to me. LOL!

:D :D :D

I knew you would notice Pam!! LOL!

Yes, he was chewing on a bandana, that silly doggie. He was hyper, so I gave him a toy after I took that away from him.;)

Dogz
01-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
If your camera has "red-eye reduction" that should help. It flashes twice and takes the photo on the second flash. The first flash helps to contract the pupil so you won't get red eye. Usually if you're looking for it on your camera it looks like and eye with a line through it.

Also if you take the photo in a brighter area - like in the daytime near a window or outdoors - then even if you use the flash you shouldn't have the problem as much, because the dog's pupils will be smaller and the flash won't reflect off the back of the eye as bad.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice! That's when I usually take my pictures, in the daytime. And I use sunlight a lot. I actually read about the flash, and the red eye reduction.

I also tried the red eye reduction flash and the same thing happened, but I am sure it will help. I was in a dim area when I took the picture though.

:)

dukedogsmom
01-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Duke's eyes do that a lot. Here's your second pic. Hope you like it.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/digger.jpg

Dogz
01-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Awwwwww, thank you, Val! *hugs*

:D

catnapper
01-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Does you camera have a SLOW setting for the flash? Mine does -its different than red-eye reduction - and it seems to make all the difference here!

Either way - with goofy white/green eyes or not, we still love our silly dogs!

micki76
01-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Millie's eyes always do that too. It's so frustrating. Good job on the touch up, Val. Mine never look that natural. How'd you do that?

dukedogsmom
01-22-2004, 10:40 PM
It's PSP 7. Got an automatic human/animal eye that is super easy to use. I never do the manual thing. Too much work.

micki76
01-22-2004, 10:44 PM
You have to buy PSP don't you? HOw much does is run? I have three editing programs and they all fix red eye, but not green eye or purple eye. lol

binka_nugget
01-22-2004, 10:47 PM
I get alot of problems with red/green/yellow eyes too. It's mostly green and yellow though. I always take pics in the biggest size (1600x1200) so if that happens, I can correct it on photoshop and resize it. I find that when I resize it alot, it helps make it look more natural. To correct it, I usually color it to black and white with opacity set to maybe 60-70 or so then I use the normal brush (set to black or dark dark greenish), set the opacity to somewhere between 20-50 (depending on the brightness of the eyes).

Here's an example of a pic I just took. I corrected it and resized it.

The original
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/alphasheltie-image001.jpg

After resize+correction
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/alphasheltie-image002.jpg

Dogz
01-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Thank you for the advice everyone!:)

Dogz
01-23-2004, 07:15 AM
I just thought of another question. The weird thing is, is that Prince's eyes NEVER turn green. The only picture I have of Prince with green eyes was when he was a puppy carrying his husky. That picture was taken with a disposable camera.

:confused: