PDA

View Full Version : About Jasper's classes...(Need opinions)

DogLover9501
01-22-2004, 06:15 PM
I need some advice/suggestions...well just opinions...

Okay so some of you might know that on Tuesday night, we went to Jasper's first class. It was a free one to help us decide whether or not we wanted to keep going.

And tonight I decided that we aren't going to :( Because Jasper doesn't have a problem with basic commands, I really just wanted to go mostly for the socialization lol but I cannot pay $160 for Jasper to have play mates!:p

He already learned sit, lay down, give both paws, high five, dont look(when eating) and take it nice(treats) and hes 4 months old, hes VERY smart, and always wants to please us(I have been told that boxers have that willingness to please)

So I dont think he needs to go to classes to learn stay, heel and come(he knows the other basic commands) And even though TONS of people told me that choke collars arent cruel..etc, I dont feel right about it, hes just a baby, and hes learned everything else without it...

Should I go anyway? just to get pointers and to learn about it all? Or is it a waste of time and money?

Thanks!

GoldenRetrLuver
01-22-2004, 06:18 PM
I would do it anyway. But, that's just me. :)
How old is Jasper? Do you have a dog park near you? Dog parks are great for socializing dogs.

Glacier
01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
I think a class would be a good idea, but if you aren't comfortable with this one, keep looking. There are lots of ways to train a dog that don't involve choke collars, if that's an issue for you.

DogLover9501
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Jasper is 4 months old(5 months on the 6th) and I dont think we have one :(

The only dogs I know of that will play with him are my cousin's two pitbulls....

Im not babysitting anymore, and I just dont want my parents to have to pay $160 JUST to socialize him, plus his neutering fee on feb.18th, until I can pay them back, but Im not sure what else to do....he needs to be socialized

DogLover9501
01-22-2004, 06:23 PM
I think a class would be a good idea, but if you aren't comfortable with this one, keep looking. There are lots of ways to train a dog that don't involve choke collars, if that's an issue for you.

Well training him wasnt the issue, he learned all those things in 3-4 weeks, I just want him to have some dogs to play with, our other dog Wiggles is too small for him, he hurts her, and Piddle, whos a little more rough, doesnt like Jasper, just growls and snarls if he comes around...

betswase
01-22-2004, 06:42 PM
I felt really guilt when we were not able to aford puppy classes for Kamble, even though it was much less then $160. Like Jasper, Kamble learns very quickly and loves to please. I wanted the puppy classes to socialize him to others, he needs to work on his manners with strangers. We try to work on this with having him sit when meeting new people and setting up play dates with other dogs. It is still a work in progress. Maybe this will work with Jasper too:) Don't feel obligated if it is something you really don't feel strong about.

Crikit
01-22-2004, 06:43 PM
You might think it's a waste of money just to take Jasper to socialize him in the class, but it might actually be a good idea. Sure Jasper does the commands well at home, but what about when he's out somewhere with lots of distractions and new things?

Socialization isn't only letting Jasper play with new dogs, it's also
letting him experience new situations and people. A well trained dog is a dog that can and will listen to commands in all kinds of situations. You'll never know, you could be out somewhere one day Jasper gets loose and your well trained dog decides not to listen because there's to much new stuff to experience then listen to mom, which could really cause trouble for you in the end.

DogLover9501
01-22-2004, 06:46 PM
I agree that classes are a good idea, but I dont want one that makes you use chokers, I just dont like them

Cookiebaker
01-22-2004, 07:07 PM
One of the biggest things that we get out of going to dog class is that Malone learns to listen to us, even in distracting and strange places. He does *so* well at home, I hardly ever have any problems. But when we go out in public it is totally different. Malone gets so excited he just won't listen to anything or anybody.

clara4457
01-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Have you tried looking for just doggie socials? In my area there are a great many training places that have socials. They are usually about $5 - $7 per visit. Since you seem to be doing well with the training and are only concerned with keeping him socialized, you might want to check it out. Plus you can work on obedience with distractions yourself while you are there.

I don't have a big objection to using choke collars for training, I just think there are so many better ways to train using treats, clickers, and positive reinforcement. :)

binka_nugget
01-22-2004, 11:22 PM
If you're not comfortable with the type of training method used, I'd change. I don't think formal training should be used on a pup anyways. Check for local dog events like walkathons and such. We always go to those just to get them use to crowds of people and lots of distractions. Also, at our pound, you're allowed to take your own dog to play with the pound dogs (as long as they're compatible). That could be a great way for him to socialize as well as the other way around.

aly
01-22-2004, 11:55 PM
I'm a big advocate for classes. But I admit I am a bit biased since I teach them :p Anyway, I think it is a wonderful bonding experience. I took my dogs through classes even though neither of them necessarily *needed* it. I even teach the class and know everything in it, but I still took my dogs through. It is great to get them used to being around other people and dogs and still learning to focus on you. I also think that you can learn very valuable information and tips that you wouldn't have otherwise known. You can definately socialize and train your dog without a class, but I would recommend at least going through one full set of classes at one point or another. I understand the money issue though.

If you decide not to take the classes, be sure you are still socializing Jasper in other public areas. But also be careful and don't take him to high traffic dog areas until he's had his third booster shot.

Oh yeah, and go with your gut on the choke collar thing. I really don't think there's EVER any need for them whatsoever. You can ask me if you need tips on how to leash train without a choke chain.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
01-23-2004, 07:08 AM
I dont like choker collars also and most of the classes around me use them EXCEPT one. I brought my boxer Max to a independant trainer who uses the halti (face collar). I love it and sware by it. In just one class Max stopped pulling and healed perfectly. You control them by there head not there neck so there is no pulling (Where the head goes the body follows) The only real problem is the first couple of time you put it on them thet shake there head and try to use there paws to get it off. What I did is I bought it 2 week before our first class and just let him wear it around the house undersupervision until he got use to it. these days all I have to do is hold it open and he puts his head in it. I hope this help you deside which you will use. Ow yaeh they cost about $20.00