PDA

View Full Version : How often do you vacume your scratching posts/cat trees?

luckies4me
01-22-2004, 11:02 AM
I know this is a silly question lol, but how many of you even vacume your cat trees, and if you do, how often? I try to vacume (sp?) mine every time I vacume. It just keeps them looking nice and not so straggly looking. :p :D

jazzcat
01-22-2004, 11:10 AM
I do mine about every 2-3 weeks but when they are shedding heavily I have to do it more often.

luckies4me
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
I hear you on the shedding! :eek:

Ewok has gotten so fluffy so fast and the past couple of weeks his fur is all over the house. I noticed a small mat under his armpit so I decided to give him a good brushing and then........a
B A T H! :eek: He hated to be brushed on his underside but doesn't mind the top part of his body being done. I didn't get a chance to get the mat out but figured he will eventually rip it off with that tongue of his. He did fine for the bath though, and I took pics of him all soaking wet, hehe. Oh the shame!

ramanth
01-22-2004, 12:58 PM
I've never thought of that! :o

I only have an upright vaccum cleaner though.... I'm getting a smaller one soon, so I guess I'll give it a try. :)

catcrazylady
01-22-2004, 01:54 PM
I just got the big tree and I have already vacuumed it once. It was already full of hair!!! I made the decision then that I will give it a once over at least once every few weeks. I use a small shop vac on the hardwood floors and furniture. It is the only thing I can find that can handle all of the hair that I have. It's great because I don't have to worry about bags or clogging. I just go along and suck up all the hairballs.:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

moosmom
01-22-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't use a vacuum. I use a cheap bristle hairbrush which gets the fur off very well. I have an upright vacuum (Oreck XL) that doesn't have any attachments (that's why they give you a compact cannister when you buy it, which I didn't want). I find the hairbrush works much better.

catnapper
01-22-2004, 02:00 PM
You mean the one they never use? Its become the family coat rack!

Either way, I vacuum it every few weeks - about the same time I hang all of the coats in the closet (whch by the way is mere INCHES form the scratching post.)

luckies4me
01-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I don't use a vacuum. I use a cheap bristle hairbrush which gets the fur off very well. I have an upright vacuum (Oreck XL) that doesn't have any attachments (that's why they give you a compact cannister when you buy it, which I didn't want). I find the hairbrush works much better.

Hrmm, that actually sounds a lot easier. As of right now I use my brush like attachment that comes with our vacuum, so I guess it's kinda like the same thing. :p

And thanks everyone. Now I know how to spell vacuum! :D

Uabassoon
01-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I vacuum my cat tree around once a month or so. I try to do it more often, but I'm lazy and I forget.

Tonya
01-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Our wicker laundry basket is Ron's scratching post, so never! lol.

RedHedd
01-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I noticed a small mat under his armpit so I decided to give him a good brushing and then........a B A T H! :eek: He hated to be brushed on his underside but doesn't mind the top part of his body being done. I didn't get a chance to get the mat out but figured he will eventually rip it off with that tongue of his. He did fine for the bath though, and I took pics of him all soaking wet, hehe. Oh the shame!
I found a really knowledgeable clerk at Petco who sold me this dematting tool: http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=6376&sku=5879930001&tab=2&dept_id=608&c1=581&c2=606&c3=608&ct1=Grooming&ct2=Tools&ct3=Dematting%2C+Combs+%26+Shedding+Blades
It's pricey but works so well; easily and quickly cutting through the mats without removing a lot of fur. My two aren't crazy about it, but it does the job fairly quickly and painlessly. Their fur-dos look and feel so much better now.

As for those pics of Ewok and his bath, where are they? :p :D

luckies4me
01-22-2004, 03:26 PM
I used to be a groomer and in fact you know what works better? Those tiny little envelope openers with the blades. Their actually a lot safer to as they have a guide that avoids cutting ears and other fragile areas in dogs, I just don't have anymore. :(

Bath pics?!!!! Ok, let me resize them, hehe.

mruffruff
01-22-2004, 03:35 PM
I use an old slicker brush on my cat trees (and all the other carpeted things in the cat room) every week. It works better than a vacuum at pulling the hair out of the pile.

Besides, I have an upright and it's sorta heavy!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p1e192f65c44b067e6de4b578cfde2bfc/f9da9f06.jpg

Mary

RedHedd
01-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I used to be a groomer and in fact you know what works better? Those tiny little envelope openers with the blades. They're actually a lot safer to as they have a guide that avoids cutting ears and other fragile areas in dogs
What a great idea! I have lots of those -- vendors are always sending me freebies!

flippytale
01-22-2004, 04:57 PM
I also vacuum the tree each time I vacuum the rest of the house, about every two weeks. (I know I should do it weekly, but ye-gads, huh?;)) About every few months I get out the scissors and trim all the little threads they have pulled loose while shredding the post. It makes it look a lot better and not so bedraggled. Occasionally I will brush the fur off rather than vacuuming. Especially in the summer!

jenluckenbach
01-22-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't vacuum the cat trees. I brush them.

And I have groomed for 19 years and I would not be without the tool Reddhedd showed. It is THE best thing ever invented!~~~

rpcathouse
01-22-2004, 08:13 PM
I don't vac the cat tree! I use an old cat brush to remove the fur from it. It works wonders and saves space in vac for other fur.
Stella

cutie_chica
01-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Well as most of you know, Tony is allergic to dust and like 80% of dust is mainly dead skin.. and it just lays in the carpet until You run the Vacumm( SP?) So I run it atleast every 2 days and on the scratching post because they are carpeted.... I even got a speical attachment so I get all the hair off of it......:)

CatDad
01-22-2004, 08:45 PM
I clean it, but I use a lint brush and a sticky roller that gets the rest. So I don't use a vacuum.

I should clean it more often then I do.:o