PDA

View Full Version : Please help me convince my cousin to neuter Teddy!

My Peanuts
01-20-2004, 03:45 PM
My cousin has a 2 year old Shih Tzu named Teddy. She has had Teddy for less than a year and he is her whole world. She takes care of him in every way possible, except she doesn't want to get him neutered. She doesn't want to put him through that because he "hates the vet and hates needles." (and I bet all of your pups love those things ;) ) Teddy is never unattended and his chances of getting another dog pregnant are slim, which is her main argument. It also doesn't help that I had, when I was much younger, a dog that was not neuter and lived to be 18. Despite all my reasons I need help pushing her in the right direction. I thought this would be the best place to go. I'm asking all of you to just spit out all the good reasons why Teddy should be neutered and I'll print this to show her. If you do I promise to post new pics of Sylvia and Harley. ;) Also next time I see Teddy I'll post his picture too, he's adorable! Thanks bunches!

aly
01-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Myth: Neutering male cats causes urethral obstructions:

§ Fact: Exhaustive studies have indicated that obstructions are not affected by whether or not a cat is neutered. In fact, neutering diminishes the likelihood of prostate and testicular cancers and perineal hernias later in life. To prevent urethral obstructions, make sure your pet is eating the best diet possible.

(taken from http://www.nccn.net/~paleague/myths.htm )

Tell her it is a very quick and easy surgery for the boys and they bounce back very quickly. One day of discomfort makes up for a lifetime of happiness.

PUPGIRL
01-20-2004, 04:03 PM
I's so sorry, I know what I am about to say does not belong here but I just am putting it everywhere because I feel it is an emergency, and don't worry, it is not something inappropriate

I got this on another yahoo group. Once again, I don't know these people, just cross posting...

Assistance is needed to transport three to four
miniature dachshunds from Marshall, MO to Canadian
Dachshund Rescue foster homes. These dogs were rescued
from a commercial breeder in MO. All of the dogs will
be completely vetted including UTD on shots and
spayed/neutered. They will be travelling with rabies
and health certificates. The dogs will not be
travelling with crates so please provide your own if
you wish. The dogs weigh between 8 and 12 lbs.

Please contact Terri at ([email protected]) if you
can assist with this transport.

PLEASE CROSSPOST

Saturday, January 31

Marshall, MO-Columbia, MO/ 66 miles/ 1 hour 7 minutes/
8:00-9:20/ NEEDED

Columbia, MO-St. Louis, MO/ 139 miles/ 2 hours 16
minutes/ 9:20-11:50/ FILLED: Robin

St. Louis, MO-Effingham, IL/ 102 miles/ 1 hour 43
minutes/11:50-1:50 / NEEDED

Effingham, IL-Terre Haute, IN/ 69 miles/ 1 hour 10
minutes/1:50-4:15 (extra hour added for time change to
EST)/ NEEDED

Terre Haute, IN- Indianapolis, IN/ 78 miles/ 1 hour 20
minutes/4:15-5:50/ FILLED: JoEllen

OVERNIGHT NEEDED IN INDIANAPOLIS: FILLED: Debby

Sunday, February 1

Indianapolis, IN- Richmond, IN/ 72 miles/ 1 hour 15
minutes/7:00-8:30/ FILLED: Debby

Richmond, IN-Dayton, OH/ 48 miles/53 minutes
/8:30-9:35 / NEEDED

Dayton, OH-Lima, OH/ 74 miles/ 1 hour 21
minutes/9:35-11:10/NEEDED

Lima, OH-Toledo, OH/ 81 miles/ 1 hour 25
minutes/11:10-12:50 / FILLED: Pat

Toledo, OH-Windsor, ON/ 59 miles/ 1 hour 4
minutes/12:50-2:20 (extra time added for border
crossing)/ NEEDED

Windsor, ON-Chatham, ON/ 51 miles/ 1 hour 2 minutes/
2:20-3:35/ NEEDED

Chatham, ON-London, ON/ 73 miles/ 1 hour 18
minutes/3:35-5:05 / NEEDED

London, ON-Toronto, ON/ 115 miles/ 2 hours 10 minutes/
5:05-7:30/ NEEDED

Terri Epp (no calls after 8:30 pm Eastern Standard Time)
Leamington, Ontario, Canada
Home Phone: 519-326-4710 (Line is busy if on computer)
Cell Phone: 519-791-0359 (check cell messages periodically)

And by the way, another good reason is that it might fix his tempermant problems if he has any. Good luck! :D

My Peanuts
01-21-2004, 11:58 AM
bump :o

ramanth
01-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Intact males are more likely to get prostate cancer I believe.

Just tell her it's the right thing to do darnnit! ;)

K9soul
01-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Hmm that's a tough one. I'd certainly use the argument of health and risk factors. There is a much higher risk of developing cancer as ramanth said. That is documented pretty thoroughly by veterinarians.

To the argument that you had an unaltered dog who lived so long, yes of course there's no guarantee that an unaltered dog will develop cancer, just like there is no guarantee that a smoker will develop lung cancer. BUT why let there be that kind of increased risk when you can easily eliminate it? Neutering does not change the dog's personality or make the dog lazy, as some people fear.

As doggy parents, we get our dogs immunizations to protect them from potential disease and health problems. Neutering is the same situation.

Here is a nice link about the benefits and effects of neutering/spaying, and the risks of NOT having it done. It's fairly short, easy to print out and very informative of why it is such a good preventative measure to have performed.

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/neuter.htm

My Peanuts
01-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by K9soul

To the argument that you had an unaltered dog who lived so long, yes of course there's no guarantee that an unaltered dog will develop cancer, just like there is no guarantee that a smoker will develop lung cancer. BUT why let there be that kind of increased risk when you can easily eliminate it?

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/neuter.htm

The smoking example is the same one I used :).

Thanks for the help. Keep the reasons flowing. Where are my homeless dog people? I really want to tug at my cousin's heart strings until she makes an appointment.

wolfsoul
01-21-2004, 01:47 PM
If you must, stretch the truth a little. ;) Say that the development of cancer is EXTREMELY likely, and that he will probably get it because he hasn't been neutered yet. A little white lie couldn't hurt Teddy, that's for sure. ;)