PDA

View Full Version : A co-worker passed away Sunday...

Tonya
01-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Ok, this is the last bad news I'm bringing. This is it! No more, dang it! Everything else from here on out will be good stuff. We had a tech die Sunday. I didn't know him well, but it still shakes me up because he was doing something small and simple that we do everyday. Please pray for his family. He had a baby on the way.

Phone technician electrocuted

SBC employee killed during service repair

January 19, 2004 — 8:39 a.m.
An SBC service technician was electrocuted Sunday while working on phone lines in west Redding.

William David McFadden, 32, of Rohnert Park, was attempting to repair a line in the back yard of a residence on Hallmark Drive just before noon, said officer Dave Schulz of the Redding Police Department.

The Shasta County coroner later ruled McFadden died of electrocution. Police said the victim apparently fell into nearby power lines.

Melanie Foote, a next-door neighbor, said she and her father were sitting in their front room when the power went out.

"Dad went out to see if he could get him down and I called 911," she said.

About 10 minutes before the accident, a home alarm went off at the unoccupied house with the telephone problems, Foote said. McFadden asked the Footes for help in disarming the alarm, she said.

Neighbor Cathy Makinson was standing just inside her garage when the electrocution happened.

"I heard a noise. I couldn't figure out what it was," Makinson said. "There was a pop and a bang."

All the power in the area had to be shut down and lines grounded before McFadden's body could be removed from the lines, police said.

An SBC worker, Matthew Sinclair, of Palo Cedro arrived after the accident. He was visibly shaken and surprised, noting that technicians are well trained.

"You hear it happens," Sinclair said. "But in 25 years, I've never seen anything like this."

An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday, said Deputy Coroner Wayne Booker. Cal-OSHA also will investigate the accident.

shais_mom
01-20-2004, 12:46 AM
that is very sad. how tragic.
I will keep the family in my thoughts and prayers.
At my hospital there was a contingent nurse killed in a car accident on, she left 4 children.
so sad. :(

trayi52
01-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Tonya that is so sad! He was going to be a daddy? I feel so sorry for his family.

Tonya do you do this kind of work too? Is the job you do this dangerous? That is just so scarey to me!

Please be careful....

Willie

Tonya
01-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
that is very sad. how tragic.
I will keep the family in my thoughts and prayers.
At my hospital there was a contingent nurse killed in a car accident on, she left 4 children.
so sad. :(

I'll pray for her family, Shais_mom. It makes me so sad, especially when they leave family behind.

Tonya
01-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
Tonya that is so sad! He was going to be a daddy? I feel so sorry for his family.

Tonya do you do this kind of work too? Is the job you do this dangerous? That is just so scarey to me!

Please be careful....

Willie

This is the kind of work I do, but it really isn't that dangerous. This is probably only the 3rd power accident that I can think of across the entire country since I've been doing this kind of work. The power is always a few feet above your head, you simply don't touch it, and you'll be fine. We're also required to use voltage testers to make sure the power didn't bleed onto the phone lines. I don't know exactly how this guy got electrocuted, but rumor is that he wasn't paying attention to the fact that the power lines were low and his head touched them.

ramanth
01-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Oh how tragic and sad! :( Thoughts and prayers for his family.

trayi52
01-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Tonya, be careful and don't you get careless too. Accidents happen all the time. I know every job comes with dangers so everytime your out there working you think about those dangers. I am a person that worrys so you think about that when you are on the job.

I thought you job was the same, when I read that I thought well Tonya does the same thing. I just hope your shorter and we don't have to worry about you on the job!

Willie

gini
01-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Tonya, how very sad.

Last year I had a new power pole placed in my back yard. They said the original was installed in 1927 and it was almost hollow inside -especially at the top of the pole.

There were about five guys and the foreman was guiding their every move each step of the way. It took them a couple of days to shimmy the pole down to my property - and another couple of days to transfer all the lines to the new pole.

I was really impressed because you could see the teamwork and safety precautions in action and a dangerous job that they just took in stride.

I will say a prayer for your co-worker and his family.