PDA

View Full Version : Pebbles is lethargic

darkone183
01-19-2004, 09:50 PM
I have a 7 or 8 year old mini dachshund (I'm not sure as she was a "rescued" dog). She is in excellent condition. She isn't overweight, she is on an excellent diet, she gets excited to go for car rides, etc. However, at home she lay's on the couch and doesn't move! If we are home ALL DAY she just sleeps on the couch. I can't interest her in any toys (although she will get up to chase the cat when Twigs gets too close:) ).

So, should I be concerned? I live in Canada and our winters are hard on a small dog so taking her for walks is out of the question as she freezes so fast. Is it normal of this breed to settle down as they age? I mean REALLY settle down?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Dark.

binka_nugget
01-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Has this been happening for a while, or is it a sudden thing? Both my boys act the same way when home but the moment they step outside, they're ready to run. I don't know about doxies..but it varies from dog to dog. Shelties are *supposed* to be quite energetic but my two would gladly take a 12 hour nap with me any day.

If it's a sudden thing, a vet check is in order. If it's the way she's been for some time, I wouldn't be concerned.

You could try maybe playing ball or something in the house. I'm not in a very cold part of Canada but the rain is harsh. I try to get them to fetch when it's raining and adding in some obedience work to poop them out. From looking at the way Kai and Kaedyn act, they don't look like they need the work (at home) but it never hurts to get a lethargic acting dog to exercise.

darkone183
01-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Thank you for your reply. I have had Pebbles for just over a year and she has always been like this. So perhaps it is just her natural inclination?

Now, how do you get a dog to exercise? The only way I can get Pebbles to exercise (besides her walks) is to put a little cheese or peanut butter in her kong and throw it around for her to chase. Other than that...no way!

:)

micki76
01-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Well, not all dogs are playful. My little old Shih Tzu isn’t much of a player and I don’t think she ever was. Occasionally she chases Chester, or runs from the camera, but that’s about the extent of her exercise.

Of my other two (younger, 4-5), Millie could go for hours. Chester will play just a couple of minutes and then he’s done, although on warm days he’s much more active.

If she's in good shape and isn't overweight, I wouldn't worry too much.

darkone183
01-20-2004, 10:52 AM
She is in good shape and seems very happy. My vet is always impressed by the condition she is in. I may just be overly concerned.

She is my first dog (I've always been a cat-person) and I have fallen head over heels for her. Maybe I'm just a very nervous mom.:D

micki76
01-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by darkone183
Maybe I'm just a very nervous mom.:D

I know I am! I drive my husband crazy about the dogs! :D

PUPGIRL
01-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Maybe you should try some new games. I can't really help that much but what I really wanted to say was this

I got this on another yahoo group. Once again, I don't know these people, just cross posting...

Assistance is needed to transport three to four
miniature dachshunds from Marshall, MO to Canadian
Dachshund Rescue foster homes. These dogs were rescued
from a commercial breeder in MO. All of the dogs will
be completely vetted including UTD on shots and
spayed/neutered. They will be travelling with rabies
and health certificates. The dogs will not be
travelling with crates so please provide your own if
you wish. The dogs weigh between 8 and 12 lbs.

Please contact Terri at ([email protected]) if you
can assist with this transport.

PLEASE CROSSPOST

Saturday, January 31

Marshall, MO-Columbia, MO/ 66 miles/ 1 hour 7 minutes/
8:00-9:20/ NEEDED

Columbia, MO-St. Louis, MO/ 139 miles/ 2 hours 16
minutes/ 9:20-11:50/ FILLED: Robin

St. Louis, MO-Effingham, IL/ 102 miles/ 1 hour 43
minutes/11:50-1:50 / NEEDED

Effingham, IL-Terre Haute, IN/ 69 miles/ 1 hour 10
minutes/1:50-4:15 (extra hour added for time change to
EST)/ NEEDED

Terre Haute, IN- Indianapolis, IN/ 78 miles/ 1 hour 20
minutes/4:15-5:50/ FILLED: JoEllen

OVERNIGHT NEEDED IN INDIANAPOLIS: FILLED: Debby

Sunday, February 1

Indianapolis, IN- Richmond, IN/ 72 miles/ 1 hour 15
minutes/7:00-8:30/ FILLED: Debby

Richmond, IN-Dayton, OH/ 48 miles/53 minutes
/8:30-9:35 / NEEDED

Dayton, OH-Lima, OH/ 74 miles/ 1 hour 21
minutes/9:35-11:10/NEEDED

Lima, OH-Toledo, OH/ 81 miles/ 1 hour 25
minutes/11:10-12:50 / FILLED: Pat

Toledo, OH-Windsor, ON/ 59 miles/ 1 hour 4
minutes/12:50-2:20 (extra time added for border
crossing)/ NEEDED

Windsor, ON-Chatham, ON/ 51 miles/ 1 hour 2 minutes/
2:20-3:35/ NEEDED

Chatham, ON-London, ON/ 73 miles/ 1 hour 18
minutes/3:35-5:05 / NEEDED

London, ON-Toronto, ON/ 115 miles/ 2 hours 10 minutes/
5:05-7:30/ NEEDED

Terri Epp (no calls after 8:30 pm Eastern Standard Time)
Leamington, Ontario, Canada
Home Phone: 519-326-4710 (Line is busy if on computer)
Cell Phone: 519-791-0359 (check cell messages periodically)[SIZE=4]

binka_nugget
01-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by darkone183
Now, how do you get a dog to exercise? The only way I can get Pebbles to exercise (besides her walks) is to put a little cheese or peanut butter in her kong and throw it around for her to chase. Other than that...no way!

When the weather's yucky outside, I get them to fetch in the house for some physical exercise. For mental exercise, I do loads with them. I find the mental exercises poop 'em out faster. You can try teaching her to find her kong. I taught Kai to 'find ashley' (which is me) then once he grasped the idea, I changed it to find your toy and started hiding it. It's great because if you hide it in the right place, you can keep them going for 10 minutes easily.

Oh, and empty pop bottles are a god send here (haha). Try giving her a pop bottle and see how she responds. Kai will pick an empty bottle over his toybox anyday.:p

darkone183
01-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks for those ideas Binka. Now Pebbles is 7 or 8 years old. Any truth to "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"?

binka_nugget
01-22-2004, 05:57 PM
ohh not at all! We adopted Kaedyn this past September. They estimated him to be about 5 or 6. In the past 4 months, he's learned how to sit, down, stay, come, heel, finish and shake. What really surprised me was his come command. He has such a reliable recall already. Old age has absolutely nothing to do with it.

robinh
01-22-2004, 08:22 PM
I have an 8 year old dachshund and he's about the laziest thing I ever saw. Every so often he'll play, but he's happier "resting" on any warm spot. We have a 10 month old dachshund too and she's a live wire - for a while - then she sleeps or "rests" too.

I think it's the breed. They'll get excited when "they" want to. But they are definitely cute all the time.

And I wouldn't worry about being a nervous mom. Shows that you love her and that's a good thing!
:D

darkone183
01-23-2004, 08:57 AM
That is great to hear Robinh (that your dogs are similar). She does appear to be healthy and happy and can muster up lot's of energy when it is time to do something she wants to do.

So I won't worry so much anymore. I am going to follow your advice, binka, and try and teach her some games. I put a bit of chicken jerky in her kong last night and I'm going to try and get her to play hide and seek with it.

Wish me luck!!!:D