PDA

View Full Version : Axolotl tank setup/oxygen-cruel?

Katy
01-19-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm thinking about moving my Axolotl into a 30 gallon tank setup. He was very young when i got him, so I was keeping him in a 10 gallon. It's been a long time, and he has not grown... I think the size of his tank might be stunting his growth, so I am thinking about moving him into the 30 gallon... I have a few questions about maintaining a tank this size. I've never had a set-up with more than 5 gallons. (the 10-g is only half filled)

I only want to do gravel on about 1/3 of the tank (makes cleaning easier, and easier for him to eat), but I can't leave the other 2/3rd blank or he'll slip. Will plastic grass turf (often used for box turtles and patio's, that stuff) work, or will it irritate his feet?

Since there will only be about 6 inches of water, are there heaters that can be set at the bottom?

I thought about it, and decided that I should only use an filter/air pump for half the day or so. Will that provide him with enough oxygen?*

Is it any harder to maintain the chemicals and such in a 30g than in a 10g?

Also, since there is a lot of space, do you think he would bother an aquatic frog? I know it his 10g he would, because of space restrictions. This is a 30g long, not high.

Thanks.
*I thought about it, and decided that having an air pump in a tank with any animal that can hear, all the time, is probebly cruel. The air pump annoys me from the other end of teh room. I I put my head up to the tank, it's horribly loud.. And if I was exposed to that, from IN the water, 24/7, I'd go insane. I am pretty sure most fish and Axolot's can hear things, so I thought that might be cruel. Since I don't know how to tell the amount of oxygen in the water, the air pump in on all the time and the filter is on about 6 hours a day, but I'd like there to be at least a few hours where he can have quiet. if you'd like to share your views on this, feel free.

tikeyas_mom
01-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Please excuse my ignorance :o what is a Axolotl?

i would suggest moving it to a bigger home if you think that a ten gallon is stunting its growth :).

Fox-Gal
01-19-2004, 05:44 PM
From what little I know they say that a 10 gal tank in the right size for them. How long is your guy, full size they get about 10" to 12" long. Meaning that it should not stunt their growth, but a biger tank is always nice.

If you do go with a bigger tank, you do know it has to be a established tank already, where the nitrogen have cycled. As for the air pump, I'd keep it running all day, just get a small one.

I'd also go with all gravel, it's just safer in the long run for him. Really the clean up wont be that bad in a 30 gal tank, it might take you a min or so longer then the 10 gal.

As for the heater, I don't know if they have ones that sit on the bottom but I'd go to Drsfostersmith.com if it's out there, they will have it. I find all kinds on things there they I don't find other places. I have heard of heaters that attach under the tank and heat it through the glass, but I just not sure about them. I know they use them on Iguana tanks.

Just wondering but with the water so low doesn't it stay warm enough at room temp. I belive they only need the temp between 60 and 75?

Chemicals on a 30 gal is no more harder then a 10 gal just a little bit more of them.

Putting the aquatic frog in with him, might work but I'd watch them for a while. Aslo make sure that the frog wont add any ammonia to the tank that you don't want.

I hope I helped some, but I was doing this all from memory, so I could be off some. But I am 100% sure that you need to established your tank, thats so important. But I bet you knew that already. :)

Katy
01-19-2004, 09:37 PM
An Axolotl is an entirely aquatic salamander.

my Axolot has been about 4 inches since I got him, at LEAST 6 months ago. He has not grown at all, and even though I know they do not grow super-fast, i think he should have grown by now. He eats as much as he should, so i decided maybe a bigger tank should help.

They prefer water below 70F, I don't use a heater. The water tempurature, for the most part the water stays about room temperature. I try to keep one around though, because if he starts refusing to eat, or if he gets sick, boosting up the water temprature can help provoke him to eat. Also in the power goes out, my room sometimes gets pretty cold. I try to keep his tank at about 65F, which actually requires more cooling in the long run than heating.

I decided not to put the frog with him, because it just occured to me that they have completly different water temperature requirements, and they could not be happy.

And lastly, I realize the tank needs to be set up for awhile to allow the already existing ammonia to process and such. I'm not super-careful on watchign teh ammonia levels like a hawk or anything because teh tank gets cleaned every week. I normally do an ammonia test when I first set up a new tank or do major changes (I don't own a test kit, so I have to sneak one off from my enviormental class).

Thanks F-G. Very informative, I'm impressed you knew that all off your head!

I'm really interested if anyone has any opinions about the 24 hour air filter thing.

Fox-Gal
01-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I asked my husband about your guy and he informed me that they get to full size anywhere between 18 months to two years. So 4" in 6 months is not really that bad, he still have a lot of growing time left.

As for the air pump, he did say stay small so that the it does not make any big water movement, but it is important that they have it. He said if you are handly maybe you can make something that slows the flow down. Or maybe get one of those min-filters that they came out with for 1 or 2 gal tanks.

A little trick that he does with our fish and for the ammonia sense we are not fatefull on testing also. We get the little white ammonia rocks that they sell for goldfish and put one or two in the tank. just wash them first. It really does help alot at least with us. We have never had a ammonia poblem and our guys are doing so well that they are breeding like rabbits. So much so we are now up to 5 tanks and still have enought to supply out local pet store with african Chiclids. Just a thought for ammonia.

Hopefull someone else can help you out also and give you other ideas. Good luck with you guy.

BTW: what color is he/she? I saw a pink one awhile back ago and he was so cute, I almost got him, but we have no more room for another tank. I'd have to move out first. :)

Twisterdog
01-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Axolotls are so neat. I used to have them when I was a kid. Of course, back then, we just called them "water dogs". ;)

I agree with everything Fox Gal said.

Actually, the larger the tank the easier the chemical maintenance and clean-up is, IMO. My 55 gallon is way less work than my 30 gallon was, after the initial setup.

The do make completely submersible heaters, that can lay sideways on the gravel. I have two in my tank. I got mine at Walmart. I would put a guard around it though, so he doesn't burn himself.

Just curious about keeping the tank only half full. I remember we never did this with ours, we kept it almost completly full. They swim and dive like crazy if they have the room.

I think you should run the pump all the time. And I think he will consider a frog to be dinner, when he gets a bit bigger.

Katy
01-20-2004, 08:39 AM
My Axolotl is a pure albino. There are a lot of pink ones that are not Albino, just pink... I'll try and get a goot picture of him, But that might be hard. ^_^

My Axolotl would rather be at the bottom then at the top. He's had his tank completly full before, but if he wanted to swim he normally just cruised back and forth an inch off the bottom. it's also much less convenient for me when it's full, because to clean teh tank I need to slide it to the other end of the shelf, which is much easier when it weighs half as much. ^_^

it sounds like you guys get a LOT of nice things at Walmart.. We just got one a few months ago, I'll have to go look!