PDA

View Full Version : Mother hummingbird (pics)

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-19-2004, 09:59 AM
I was doing some yardwork this weekend and looked up to see this beautiful little lady in my pear tree:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p6ae13583bd27a92b63ea4b3fbecda8b0/f9e7d270.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/pc1df90d5fa7d89e7b3dc43194484383a/f9e7d284.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p11064c48dd2de7b6b6e3c530af4ff7a3/f9e7d298.jpg

The weather here has been in the 70s, but isn't it a little early for her to have eggs? Isn't she beautiful?

slick
01-19-2004, 10:25 AM
What a beauty!!! Great photography.

I wonder what happened to the partridge???:D :D

tatsxxx11
01-19-2004, 10:34 AM
How beautiful! Lucky you to have a hummingbird nesting in your yard!:) Keep a watch out for the babies and keep us posted!

I wonder what happened to the partridge??? Probably in Fla. taking a break after the busy holiday season:D

gini
01-19-2004, 10:44 AM
What sweet pictures. Their nests are so darling - they are like little thimbles.

It does seem early but here in CA with the temperatures moderate all of the time I suppose she can pick her own time.

She can't be any bigger than probably 2 - 3 inches - is that right?

ramanth
01-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Wow!! Those are great pics! :)

It reminds me of this link my dad sent me. :)

Birth of a Hummingbird (http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail.com/verle33/HummingBirdNest/)

Moose
01-19-2004, 11:07 AM
She's gorgeous! :D

mugsy
01-19-2004, 11:08 AM
How cool that you got those pictures. Hummingbirds only weigh about an ounce. We had one hit my parents sliding glass doors one time and I went out to pick her up and she was still alive, so I put her in the fushia plant and she sat the for a few minutes and flew off, but, I hardly knew I was holding anything she was so light.

Thanks for sharing them. You should send them into a nature magazine and see if they publish it.

trayi52
01-19-2004, 11:16 AM
I have never seen a hummingbird nest! My husband and I was talking about that one day, wondering what they look like. I'll have to show him this picture. Do you think you can get pictures of the babies wheh they hatch? I would really like to see what the babies look like!

Willie

ramanth
01-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
Do you think you can get pictures of the babies wheh they hatch? I would really like to see what the babies look like!
Hey Willie, in case Kona and Oreo's mom can't get a picture of the baby, check out the link I posted a few posts up. :)

gini
01-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Kim, that link is unbelievable. Thanks for sharing it.

trayi52
01-19-2004, 11:45 AM
I checked that out, I was wondering did the surviving baby push the other one out of the nest? I really didn't get that at all.

Those pictures of the toothpick and the eggs were just mind boggling. I sort of measured that out on my finger, and that is just so unreal that a bird can be so tiny!!!

I really loved the link, I will definitely have to show that to my husband! Thanks for the link, I went and looked at it after I posted, I didn't realize these little guys were so tiny!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Willie

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by gini
She can't be any bigger than probably 2 - 3 inches - is that right?

That's right--she's tiny. I had never seen one sitting still, so I was very excited!

Originally posted by trayi52
Do you think you can get pictures of the babies when they hatch? I would really like to see what the babies look like!

I hope so! I'll keep checking--from a distance so I don't bother her too much. I wonder how long eggs take to hatch.

That is a great link, Ramanth. Thanks!

4 Dog Mother
01-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Hummingbirds are one of my most favorite things. I used to put out feeders for them but now I have planted all their favorite plants around the yard and especially around the patio so I can see them when they come so close. I put fuchia hanging plants on either side of the sliding glass door and they will come and feed from them and I can get within a foot of them (inside though). They are so great to watch.

Kimmie, thanks for the link, that was great and thanks Kona and Oreo's mom for the great pictures!

trayi52
01-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I keep a feeder on my porch for them, my husband just loves them and so do I. They seem to like to stay in our pine trees, and the bushes planted around the house.

I really love it though when they come upon the porch to the feeder. One year we had some really beautiful colors, some with red, some with green on them. I really love to watch all the wild birds that come into the yard, red birds, blue birds and some of the others that come into the yard.

Willie

G.P.girl
01-19-2004, 12:28 PM
She's beautiful! i don't really know much about them but she's very pretty!

neko1
01-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Fantastic pictures!

Cookiebaker
01-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Absolutely wonderful pictures!! And Ramanth, that is an awesome website. I almost cried. I sent it to my Mom as I think she would really enjoy that as well.

Tonya
01-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Cool pics! I liked that site too, Ramath. I love hummingbirds.

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-27-2004, 09:27 AM
We had some light rain on Saturday night, and the hummingbird hasn't been in her nest since then. I peeked in the nest, but there were no eggs. :( Maybe she went to find a more sheltered spot to have her nest.

ramanth
01-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Kona & Oreo's mom
We had some light rain on Saturday night, and the hummingbird hasn't been in her nest since then. I peeked in the nest, but there were no eggs. :( Maybe she went to find a more sheltered spot to have her nest.
Awww! :( I hope she comes back.