PDA

View Full Version : Ashley and Calvin's story

jenluckenbach
01-19-2004, 09:35 AM
I never actually got around to some of the cats' stories, so here goes:

It's April of 2002 and my beloved Y.Lee had given up. He would no longer eat and I could see in his face......sorrow. I could no longer continue to stress him with vet visits and treatments. I need to help him leave. :(
Now I sit, without my lap buddy, knowing that there are many cats just waiting for the chance at a home.
I had recently learned of a rescue in my area that I had not heard of before and scheduled a visit to their shelter. (One by One)
Knowing that Charlie would have been OK with NOT adopting I asked for his imput and he said "I've always wanted a calico". WELL, calicos are always female, and by this time I am positive that males are more friendly, but I said we'd see what we could find.
Ashley was at the shelter that day, a fairly new arrival. Young, beautiful and personable. She let me hold her and seemed like she'd get along with any cat, so I kept her in mind as I searched the shelter.
Calvin on the other hand, was in the room reserved for shy cats. The type of cats that get no attention and may actually prefer it that way because they are scared. But he called to me. Now not with his voice, but with his eyes. Have you ever looked into a cat's eyes and just KNEW what they were saying? That is the feeling I got with Calvin. So I entered this section and greeted Calvin. The rescue volunteer was very surprised at HIS reaction. One of curiosity not fear. One of trust and not suspicion. I held him on my lap and brushed him and generally smooshed him up. The fact that his was the spitting image of my RB kitty Thumper did NOT help either.:rolleyes:
As I continued through the rooms (there are 4) I tried to give each cat its due respect and keeping an open mind, I kept finding myself thinking of Calvin.
We left the shelter after filling out an application for Ashley. (after all, she had a better shot at being a lap cat like the Y.Lee I lost, and how can you argue with your husband's preference when you already have 8 cats and don't really need to go back up to 9?) We knew that the director needed to do a home visit prior to approval so there was time to change our minds.
A few days later Joyce came to do my home visit and I proudly showed off how cat-friendly my home is and we sat down and talked. I told her that I could not get Calvin off my mind and that I wanted to add him to my application. She asked me, and I quote, "Do you plan on adopting any more cats in the future?" I almost laughed out loud, as a matter of fact, I think I did when I said "NOOO, I wasn't planning on taking 2 today!"
She was pleased to tell me to come back to the shelter any time at my convienience to pick up my new kitties!!!

I recently reminded her of that conversation and she said she did not believe me for one minute. :o

The story of how LONG it took Calvin to adjust here in his new home is an ENTIRELY different story :eek:
Ashley adjusted the very moment she stepped foot in the house :)

Thanks for listening.

jenluckenbach
01-19-2004, 05:22 PM
BUMP

jazzcat
01-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Jen, I love reading these stories about your cats.

Sometime I'd like to hear about just how long it took Calvin to adapt to his new home.

Steffi N
01-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Jen, Calvin looked in your eyes and saw right into your loving heart. Your stories are very special.

rg_girlca
01-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Steffi N
Jen, Calvin looked in your eyes and saw right into your loving heart. Your stories are very special.

I couldn't agree more with this comment.
All your kitties knew what a special person you are Jen, that's why they picked you.
I truly enjoyed reading all your great stories about your precious kitties.

CatDad
01-19-2004, 10:02 PM
That was a great story.:D

I love hearing about how they came into your life.

Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading all of your stories.

IttyBittyKitty
01-20-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

I recently reminded her of that conversation and she said she did not believe me for one minute. :o

Thanks for listening.

Hehe, a vision of things to come!

Manwhile, Ashley is beautiful, she looks like my Mum's calico-meezer cross Milo :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Wow Jen, what a great story! So well told - I feel like I was right there with you! Isn't it funny how you can sometimes just NOT get a cat out of your mind? I am so glad you decided to open up your home to Ashley, and especially little shy Calvin (there are special rewards for those people who take the "hard to home" animals - it's like they love you back even more, because they know how lucky they are!