PDA

View Full Version : Ads on Pet Talk

zippy-kat
01-19-2004, 01:38 AM
The past few days I've noticed the advertisements list animals, horses in particular. (Actually, horses are the only species I've seen advertised but have been told by a few others that there were dogs/cats listed.) To me, equine ads aren't that big of a concern as horses are quite expensive to raise, breed, keep, so there doesn't seem to be quite the market for them as there are puppies, kitties, etc. (I.e. to my knowledge there aren't any "foalmills" -- albeit that's putting the PMU farms aside).

I'd like to say that I realize K&P (probably) don't have control over the contents of the ads and that the ads are helping to pay for pet talk. Also, I realize that this site is not focused solely on rescue work. But --though not directly stated-- rescue work does seem to be an underpinning of the forum.

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on this.

aly
01-19-2004, 01:41 AM
I did notice the kitten and puppy ads the other day. It disturbed me and I hoped no one would visit the links :o

I also understand that the ads help pay for the site. I wonder if there is a way to filter out certain ads. I even think non-pet related ads would be better than the ones selling kittens/puppies/horses/etc. Or maybe just ads about pet supplies. But I don't know how possible it would be to filter out those breeders.

Crikit
01-19-2004, 01:47 AM
I have to agree with you here Tonya.

For the most part I don't mind seeing the ads on the site, as long as they don't involve the buying or selling of animals. The ones for the pet supplies, and hotels I'm perfectly fine with, but the the ones that advertise the kittens, puppies and foals (and I have seen ads for all three) disturb me greatly.

I realize that the ads are something that are required to keep Pet Talk going strong and free for us all to use, but I'm still put off by the fact that the ads are for live animals. Just look at the animals that everyone owns, the majority of them are rescues from shelters or groups, and the fact that we are now running ads for sites that could quite possible contribute to more animals in shelters and rescue groups seems wrong.

In otherwords "no sir, I don't like it. I don't like it one bit"

mugsy
01-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Perhaps we could email Karen and Paul (actually I have a few weeks ago) and express concern and come up with possible alternative ads. I know that they have no control over the ads that Google sends.

One that particularly upset me was an Ebay site, but, it turned out NOT to be selling animals, just "stuff" regarding the breed.

micki76
01-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I've personally not seen the ads for dogs, cats, or horses. I do have a problem with them being advertised on Pet Talk, though.

I hope there's a solution for this. I know we need the ads to help keep PT going, but at what price?

I have enjoyed many of the other ads and have checked out several of them.

Moose
01-19-2004, 10:11 AM
I've never seen them either, but I'm not impressed by them. However, if that is the only way to keep Pet Talk up and running...I'll survive. :p

lizbud
01-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Crikit

For the most part I don't mind seeing the ads on the site, as long as they don't involve the buying or selling of animals. The ones for the pet supplies, and hotels I'm perfectly fine with, but the the ones that advertise the kittens, puppies and foals (and I have seen ads for all three) disturb me greatly.

I agree 100%. Personally I'm very uncomfortable with it.
Ads, per se, don't bother me at all, but not if they offer animals
for sale. :(

GoldenRetrLuver
01-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I agree 100%. Personally I'm very uncomfortable with it.
Ads, per se, don't bother me at all, but not if they offer animals
for sale. :(

Same here. :(

moosmom
01-19-2004, 01:15 PM
The ads are a bit deceiving. I clicked into one that said "Kittens" and it turned out it was an auction for cat and kitten figurines.

I've PM'd Karen about this and am satisfied with her explanation. Like I said, at first it disturbed me too. But my curiosity got the best of me and I checked it out. I was relieved when I saw no auctions for live animals.

Logan
01-19-2004, 01:26 PM
The only one I clicked on was a huge list of Golden Retriever breeders........loads and loads of Golden puppies for sale. I am just crossing my fingers that they are responsible breeders.

Paul
01-19-2004, 03:21 PM
   For six years we have run with very, very few ads. Karen and I have invested a lot of time and money in Pet, Dog, and Cat of the Day, as well as Pet Talk because we know every pet is special.

If Google allowed us to block everyone that sold pets, then I would do it. However, Google does not allow it. I am disappointed in the Google system but I do not know of better system.

Paul

Edwina's Secretary
01-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Paul...I trust in your judgement as to the best way to keep this site going without causing you and Karen too much financial pain. If it is ads...so be it...I accept that and thank you for all you do.

Sara

tatsxxx11
01-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Ditto that, Sara! You do a great job Paul and Karen and whatever you need to do to keep us up and running, we understand:)

dukedogsmom
01-19-2004, 04:39 PM
I think we've been very fortunate to have gone so long without any ads at all. So, that little google thing on the side doesn't bother me in the least. And thank goodness, no pop ups! Now that would bother me.

lizbud
01-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Paul
   For six years we have run with very, very few ads. Karen and I have invested a lot of time and money in Pet, Dog, and Cat of the Day, as well as Pet Talk because we know every pet is special.

If Google allowed us to block everyone that sold pets, then I would do it. However, Google does not allow it. I am disappointed in the Google system but I do not know of better system.

Paul

I know you do Paul and I am very grateful for all the work,time
and love you & Karen put into making this site the special place
it is. I was just wondering how feasible it would be to charge a
small yearly fee to members.(payable in advance) It might be an
alternative to the ads selling animals. Do you think this might
work? I'm not being critical at all, just wonder if either of you
ever considered this idea. Thanks.

mugsy
01-19-2004, 06:28 PM
\
I was just wondering how feasible it would be to charge a
work?

Unfortunately Liz, I think the membership would suffer. Too many people (me included, which I doubt would bother too many people:D ) would not be able to continue. It would not be feasible for me. But, then, I don't own the site, so it's not my call!! :)

lizbud
01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Unfortunately Liz, I think the membership would suffer. Too many people (me included, which I doubt would bother too many people:D ) would not be able to continue. It would not be feasible for me. But, then, I don't own the site, so it's not my call!! :)

The membership would be winnowed for sure, but how many
join, post once or twice & aren't heard from any more? As to the
cost, how can you say you couldn't afford it when we,(I anyway)
have no idea how much it might cost? It's just an idea.

mugsy
01-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Right now Liz, I couldn't justify anything, unfortunately. But, if that's what decided, so be it, I would learn to live without it....guess I would have to! We'll see what plays out, all in all, it's not our decision and Karen and Paul need to do what's best for the forum and them.

G.P.girl
01-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I know you do Paul and I am very grateful for all the work,time
and love you & Karen put into making this site the special place
it is. I was just wondering how feasible it would be to charge a
work? I'm not being critical at all, just wonder if either of you
ever considered this idea. Thanks.
i agree with mugsy. i for one wouldn't be able to pay it. my allowence has been cut indefinatly(sp?). and there are alot of young members here who don't have creditcards or whatever you use to pay over the internet. plus then our familes would know how much we actually love PT:p

Twisterdog
01-20-2004, 12:44 AM
What ads? I've never seen an ad here. Am I blind? Or are they pop-ups, because I have a pop-up blocker.

shais_mom
01-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Have you seen the home page of dog/cat/pet of the day? that is where they are.
Not trying to be smart, just answering your question.

Paul
01-20-2004, 01:28 AM
   On the homepage of Pet, Dog, and Cat of the Day there are often text ads (but not always) in a right-hand column that come directly from Google. These ads require javascript. They are not popups or popunders; it's just text. Ad blockers will block them. Even on many computers that support javascript, with javascript turned on, the ads will not show up. Because of the uneven support of javascript in web browsers many people will never be able to see the ads.

I will post more of my thoughts later.

Paul

CathyBogart
01-20-2004, 01:32 AM
I just wanted to throw in that I had NEVER seen a merle pit bull before I followed one of those links! I'm glad I did...merle pits are GORGEOUS!!

Vio&Juni
01-20-2004, 04:13 AM
I personally understand that keeping this site is a financial expense for Paul and Karen. I don't have anything against ads. If I am not interested in them, I just don't click on them. I am fine with ads if this makes it easier for Paul and Karen.

But then again, I have nothing against breeders too, maybe just the un-human ones. I would rather rescue than buy, but I don't judge those that buy pets.

A membership fee would keep away many good people that can't afford it.

aly
01-20-2004, 07:47 AM
We trust you and your judgement Paul and Karen!

You guys keep doing what you're doing :)

zippy-kat
01-20-2004, 08:41 AM
I recognize (and respect!!) the fact that all financial burdens fall on the shoulders of K&P. In posting this thread my intent was not to 'bash all ads' per se --the ads themselves do not bother me rather it's the content. I think I'd rather see "junk" ads than those that advertise pets.

I do support any means that keep PT up and running and that lessen the burden for K&P -- if that means ads or membership fees, so be it! :)

If the breeder ads can not be weeded out, maybe you could post a disclaimer at the bottom:
"REFER TO PET TALK FOR INFORMATION ON BREEDERS/RESCUE!" :D

Logan
01-20-2004, 03:08 PM
I've been staying quiet on this subject, but I was a bit taken aback when I saw Golden Retriever puppies for sale..........no offense was taken, though, because I knew that it was probably out of the control of Karen and Paul, and just a "test" with the Google stuff. You know what, I can hardly think that many people who happen to see that ad will click on it and make a purchase due to it..........at least that's what I hope. No, it isn't what I would hope for Pet Talk to promote, but maybe those who take time to click on an ad will also click on Pet Talk and learn more about what a lot of us stand for in our rescue work.

Logan

Cheshirekatt
01-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
What ads? I've never seen an ad here. Am I blind? Or are they pop-ups, because I have a pop-up blocker.

I guess I'm just as in the dark as you are!!

I've never seen any ads...

Paul
01-21-2004, 08:35 AM
   I don't like the membership idea because we do not wish to prevent anyone from visiting.

Almost all of our visitors never look at pet talk. They just visit the Pet, Cat, or Dog homepage.

I think zippy-kat has a good idea. Perhaps we can place a link above the ads asking people to consider adopting a pet. Especially because even before these ads people have always wanted us to do more. It's easy to add a link; I think Karen and I will need a lot of help to even write an overview of all the options people should consider.

Thank you all for taking the time to tell us what you are thinking.

Paul

mugsy
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
If you need help writing options, let me know.

AvaJoy
01-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Ever since the column ads have been appearing, my computer gives me an error message box that I must click yes to continue . . . I presume it is related to the ads in some way. I'm not computer-saavy at all. Tonight after I'd click yes on the error message box to continue, the box kept reappearing many, many times and wouldn't let me click on pet talk link. Don't know WHAT that was about, but anyway . . . :confused:

Other than these problems, I don't mind the column ads, but pop-ups would be annoying; expecially the ones that won't let you click them easily off . . . :mad:

I suggest putting a short but sweet text line appearing on all 3 homepages, i.e., "Be a lifesaver and adopt a pet" or something similar to encourage people in that direction. Clicking on that text could take them to further guidance, advice, etc. Just a thought.:)

Karen
01-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by AvaJoy
Ever since the column ads have been appearing, my computer gives me an error message box that I must click yes to continue . . . I presume it is related to the ads in some way. I'm not computer-saavy at all. Tonight after I'd click yes on the error message box to continue, the box kept reappearing many, many times and wouldn't let me click on pet talk link. Don't know WHAT that was about, but anyway . . . :confused:

Other than these problems, I don't mind the column ads, but pop-ups would be annoying; expecially the ones that won't let you click them easily off . . . :mad:

I suggest putting a short but sweet text line appearing on all 3 homepages, i.e., "Be a lifesaver and adopt a pet" or something similar to encourage people in that direction. Clicking on that text could take them to further guidance, advice, etc. Just a thought.:)

Do you have java script installed on your computer? The ads need a java to run. I don't see them at all in my old version of Netscape on the Mac, I have to go into Explorer to even see them.

What operating system are you using, and what browser?

AvaJoy
01-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I use Explorer, and have Windows 98 operating system.