PDA

View Full Version : Imitating Sounds?

GoldenRetrLuver
01-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Are there any other birdies here that mimic strange sounds they hear? Piper mimics squeaky toy sounds! It's soooo adorable. :D Daisy had her squeaky toy in her mouth one day and as she was "squeaking" it, Piper imitated it! :p I'm still working on him getting to *really* talk though. :rolleyes:

Aspen and Misty
01-19-2004, 02:46 AM
No, but Julian learned how to talk from the rats. LOL. He squeeks like them and when my vet heard it she said "Omg! He's part rat!" I was like "What?" and she is like he sounds like a rat. So I was like he lives with (at the time) 4 of them. She was like "He's probly mimicing them!"

So my question is. If I sit in my bed room with him 24/7 saying Julian, will he eventually say Julian? :confused:

;) :p

Ashley

Twisterdog
01-20-2004, 10:28 PM
My bird can sound like a squeaky door hinge, the dogs barking, the other birds, the phone, a sneeze, a cough and the timer on the microwave.

He's a strange one.

As for making your bird eventually say his name ... I don't know about that. I have been trying to get my bird to say, "Good Morning!" since he was a baby. I have probably said "Good Morning!" to him thousands of times. He has never even attempted to say it.

However, if it is something HE wants to say, he only has to hear it a few times. My uncle came to visit us for two days, and called my bird "Squeaky Pete" a few times, just being silly. Now my bird says this ALL the time - "Hey, what are you doing, Squeaky Pete!?" I think they learn what they like the sound of, and ignore what they don't.

popcornbird
01-21-2004, 04:15 AM
That is so cute!

Popcorn's passion is my brother's cell phone. He kisses it, puts his head on it, sings to it, and imitates its ring tones when it rings! It is hilarious, but that bird is so in LOVE with that phone! I have no idea why, but he just adores it. The funny thing is, it is ONLY that phone! He is scared of any other. He also imitates our neighbor's dogs, though it is too sqeaky to sound like a dog........he tries, and he imitates the bluejays that occasionally come in our backyard as well. Of course he imitates us as well.........not in talking, but he imitates our whistles, and when we talk to him, he imitates our *mouth movements*, by constantly moving his beak up and down. Silly tiel.

Muffin isn't really the type who is interested in imitating much. She has a strong, but sweet and loving personality and expects *US* to imitate *HER*, rather than the other way around. LOL

luckies4me
01-21-2004, 01:32 PM
One of the tiels we had when growing up knew about at least 100 words. He would say:

Hello
Hi
Pretty bird
Hello pretty bird
Goodmorning (when you took off his cage sheet)
Go to sleep (what my mom told him everytime he started yacking)
Here kitty kitty kitty
Awwwwccchuuu! When he sneezed he would lower his head too, like us humans do. It was so funny! :D
He would meow like the cats
bark like a dog (my chihuahua)
whistle and Any Griffith Show tune
go "dun dun dun dun dun dun dun, CHARGE!"
wolf whistle
he also knew curse words :o
He would always tell my mother she was "sexy" lol
what are you doing?
where have you been?
Polly want a cracker
feed me
who's there

and so many other things. That bird could say anything and mimic anything, but like I said once before, my friends dog ate him. :(

Dogz
01-22-2004, 04:31 AM
Wow luckies, that's a lot of words!!

Nelly doesn't really imitate things quite yet. She has imitated one odd whistle that I do though. He is so cute.:)

My cousins got a tiel and named it Birdie. Birdie flies onto people's head (preferably girls with long hair) They don't know if he knows any words, but he whistles the Adam's Family, and does all sorts of whistles, and imitates.:)

luckies4me
01-22-2004, 01:42 PM
His most coolest thing was the sneeze, as he would stick out his wings and put his head down as if he was covering his mouth. :D

He was very mean, and I disliked it a lot. Then after he died I found out I really was attached to him and cried like a baby when he died. :(