PDA

View Full Version : Airline.

RICHARD
01-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Has anyone watched this program??

I watched the first few episodes.....

It's a 'reality show' on what people that work for the airlines
have to go thru to keep the passengers moving....

It's on tomorrow night, check your local listings.......

I yell at my TV alot......This program made me scream...
:eek:

slick
01-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Haven't seen any ads on this yet up here but will keep watching for it.

Cheshirekatt
01-18-2004, 11:08 PM
OMG...This show looks sooooo funny!

I love the lady that tattles on the older lady using the wheelchair when she doesn't need it. It might even have been her mother!

joycenalex
01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
i happened to see 2 shows. my first impression is that, the customer service skills the employees have are amazing; and some of the passengers, should never be allowed out in public without a keeper, in my opinion one show had a woman who showed up 20 minutes before the flight, hello have you not heard of changes in flight security? and she fussed and fussed because she made the error. another segment dealt with a COS, customer of size, and the sensativity in dealing with the extra seat issue. i was impressed with the employees skill in dealing with these issues

catlover4ever
01-19-2004, 11:52 AM
As a person who was a flight attendant for a local regional airline....I would be so interested in seeing this show. Oh I could tell you all some stories that would make your eyes roll.

I will have to check out what channel it may be on.

RICHARD
01-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
As a person who was a flight attendant for a local regional airline....I would be so interested in seeing this show. Oh I could tell you all some stories that would make your eyes roll.

Sorry about that...

http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/airline/

Consider me rolled....:rolleyes:

;)

on tonight's show.....

Storyline 2
Supervisor Mike Carr takes Customer Service to another level when he faces the difficult task of cleaning an Alzheimer's patient who has had a small accident!

This guy, Mike Carr is one of the best......

Hopefully people will watch this and come away with MORE appreciation of what airline employees do for their customers.

slick
01-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Ohhhh it's on A&E. I get that channel. Thanks, I'll check out the listings tonight.

Miss Meow
01-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by catlover4ever

You must've worked at Melbourne Airport last time I flew to Canberra. We were on an 8.15am flight, and didn't get to the carpark bus until 8.05. Oh oh, the plane has already gone, I told my manager. Nooooo, he had to go to the checkin and have a big, embarrassing argument because the airline often makes him late, therefore he should be able to make the airline late. I just slinked as far away as I could and pretended I was a group of well-behaved, civilised passengers ... :rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
01-19-2004, 04:41 PM
I watched a little of the first show until a female(won't call her a lady) started accusing an employee of being racial. That's when I changed programs and haven't watched it since. I get too frustrated at shows like that.

RICHARD
01-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I watched a little of the first show until a female(won't call her a lady) started accusing an employee of being racial. That's when I changed programs and haven't watched it since. I get too frustrated at shows like that.

LOL,

Now you see why I scream at the TV...

slick
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
OK, I just watched an hour of it and I must say I'm really not sure if it will make my top 10 list.

To the guy who complained because he got a 1/2" tear in his luggage and blamed the airline - GET OVER IT!! HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF DUCT TAPE??

To the guy who tried to con his way on to the plane: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???? DO YOU NOT HAVE A BRAIN????

To the chick who misread her return flight date: READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!

I commend the airline employees. They put up with alot of S***.

**sigh** I just don't know. I'm now thinking I should take a bus to the July BBQ.....

RICHARD
01-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Personally watching people act like that-it makes me MORE aware of how I treat people that are giving me service..

This guy, Mike Carr deserves sainthood.

For a few minutes on TV he put himself out there to help someone that he probably will never see again. He was professional, courteous and went way above and beyond his job
description.

Most of us would call someone else or just steer that couple to
the nearest bathroom and say, Too bad, So sad....

A while back I used to schedule patients for surgery.....

Two things made me change my mind about being nice while I did
the job...

One was a woman who threatened me with a lawsuit if she died.
I thought to myself, 'Great trick, lady......' She yelled and screamed at me until I took her out of the office because she was making so much noise...

Later, she was scheduled for a mastectomy, she came back and apologized profusely about her tirade...Funny how a small look at your mortality changes your outlook when it hits you in the face.

Another time I scheduled a minor patient for some surgery.

I spoke to the mother, made all the arrangements - just to have her call my boss to tell her that I didn't do jack for her. This lazy piece of crap COULDN'T remember our conversation and my instructions.....thank god for DOCUMENTATION.

So the next time you feel like taking it out on someone who is trying to help you, remember how stupid you will look on TV arguing about your mistake, or something that goes wrong that is out of the customer service person's hands- and remember to
start muttering about lawsuits..

That company will just pass the costs on to you the next time.

Stupidity knows no bounds, you just aren't aware that you are afflicted with it.

catlover4ever
01-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Richard, thank you for the link to when the program is on. I can totally relate to Mike Carr. I once had a passenger that was mentally handicapped and I will never forget him getting up in the middle of the flight and unzipping his pants to go the bathroom in the isle....I ran down the isle and helped him into the bathroom and waited until he was all set and then helped him back to his seat.

I had many an irate passenger in my face due to weather delays, or they had just come off a really bad flight from somewhere else and had missed their connection only to be put on my flight, or their first flight had been cancelled.

I flew on a 36 seat turbo prop (I loved it) and was the only flight attendant on the plane. I will never forget boarding a flight in New York's LaGuardia. A lady got out of the bus and looked at my airplane and threw a temper tantrum out on the tarmak. She refused to get on the plane and refused to get back on the bus to go back to the terminal. I did something that was not supposed to be done. I left the aircraft and went down and spoke to the lady who was terrified to fly on such a small plane. I talked her into getting on the plane, told her she could sit right up front with me and talk to me for most of the flight, and if she did not find the flight to be enjoyable and smooth then I would get her an agent as soon as we landed in Boston and I would make sure that her flight arrangements back to New York were on a bigger plane. This lady enjoyed the flight so much that it totally changed her mind about flying on such a small aircraft and she wrote a letter to my superiors on what wonderful service she had received.

Sometimes going the extra mile works out in the long run and then again other times it does not. Like the time a man told me to take his carry on bag and put it where the sun don't shine.

You know what is really funny, I have been out of the airline field for almost 7 years, and every day I MISS IT.

No matter how rude people could be, or how inconsiderate they were at times, I still miss the people and the job. I can honestly say that was the best job in the world (at least for me it was).

slick
01-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Supervisor Mike Carr takes Customer Service to another level when he faces the difficult task of cleaning an Alzheimer's patient who has had a small accident!

I missed the first 10 min so didn't get a chance to see this.

I found it interesting that they mentioned that all flights are overbooked because no everyone shows up all the time. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. If I were a passenger and paid for a flight only to find out I couldn't get a seat, I'd be ticked off too; but then again if I showed up at the airport at the 11th hour what can I expect??

I have never had a problem being polite to anyone in the service industry. They have a job to do too and as the saying goes "you can catch more flies with honey".

I handle "help desk" calls all the time and when someone on the other end of the line is screaming because the internet is down and it's not our fault all I can do is let them rant then politely say "I'll get right on that......"

Nice stories Catlover and Richard.

gini
01-20-2004, 10:30 AM
I have a relative who is a flight attendant. She told me about a flight she was on and a woman came on board with her son who was about five or six. The boy was screaming and yelling at the mother who was doing absolutely nothing about it.

My relative walked up to the boy, leaned down and very quietly said "do you really think that all of the rest of the passengers want to listen to you screaming?"

She said the mother was stunned, but the boy stopped.

She was sure she would have a complaint, but none were made.

moosmom
01-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I watched Airline last night for the first time. Those airline employees deserve awards AND combat pay. I thought the show was great.

RICHARD,

I don't blame you for yelling at your tv. I was yelling at mine last night when the couple who had SERIOUS attitudes, threatened to sue the airlines and the employees if something wasn't done. GET A LIFE people!!! You were coming back from vacation, NOT involved in an emergency!!!

Here is my airline story:

My daughter collapsed in Florida at the age of 16 with a malignant brain tumor on Christmas Day. I tried frantically to get the next flight out to be with her. Because it was a holiday, it cost me over $1500 to fly out the day after Christmas. The evening before I called to confirm my flight. The airline had no record of it!! :mad: :mad: :mad: They told me that all flights were booked. I was furious!! I became one of "those people". I totally lost control, yelling that they would be held accountable if my daughter died during her brain surgery because I couldn't get to the hospital in time. I asked them if they had any "bereavement" seats, and they said no. Fortunately, a friend of mine, a former travel agent, said that the airlines always keeps at least 5 seats vacant for personnel. Thanks to her calm nature, I was able to get on the plane that very next day at the buttcrack of dawn. I did, however, miss seeing my daughter before she went into surgery, which lasted 8 hours.

Once I got home, I wrote a letter to the President of the airline, explaining the entire situation to him. Within 3 weeks I received a voucher for airfare to anywhere in the continental U.S., apologizing for the entire episode.

RICHARD
01-20-2004, 11:36 AM
The other person that gave me the fits was the 'customer service lady', the gal that was bumped and 'lost a day's pay and her feet hurt and she wouldn't be able to give her talk.....'

That's what she get's for not giving herself enough time to get to where she was going...

I am sorry but when ever I go out amongst the masses I know my PERFECT WORLD stops where reality begins.

"Stuff" happens.

And sometimes I end up sitting in it, like the Alzheimer's passenger...I've just learned that it's better to put up with the stink than to alert everyone that you are sitting in crap.

Corinna
01-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I've seen the ads but i don't have cable (yes I do live in the far reaches of the woods, but we choose not to have cable) Haven,t seen the show but working as a retail manager I have stories I could tell too. People man it seems if you fell in to money your a pain, but if you worked had for it you can be a real person. I worked in a very high dollar home store( linens and decorer stuff boy the 2 weeks of being in a multi million dollar home these people drove me nuts. I mean you are only there 2 weeks a year the rest of the time its covered in cloths who cares if the drape in one room is a 1/4 of a shade darker than the living room ones the bedroom ones match each other.
well you get the picture, I had to be the one the boss send out to trouble shoot cause I wouldn't lose my temper as ever one else in the company did. It was ok cuz then I got hired on weekends to put all the stuff in before owners arrived made about 3-4 hundred extra a week. Boss oked it. Sure miss that job. But boss started getting a rotten rep so I didn't want mine to go too so I quit.

slick
01-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Just had to post this:

>>Snappy Answer #1

>>

>>A flight attendant was stationed at the departure gate to check

>>tickets. As a man approached, she extended her hand for the ticket,

>>and he opened his trench coat and flashed her. Without missing a beat

>>she said, "Sir, I need to see your ticket, not your stub."

RICHARD
01-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Jury: Airline Not Liable for Racist Rhyme

By Associated Press

January 21, 2004, 10:32 PM EST

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Southwest Airlines is not liable for a flight attendant who upset two black passengers by using a version of a rhyme with a racist history, a jury determined Wednesday.

The two passengers, sisters Louise Sawyer and Grace Fuller, were heading home from a Las Vegas vacation nearly three years ago when flight attendant Jennifer Cundiff, trying to get passengers to sit down, said over the intercom, "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; pick a seat, we gotta go."

The sisters say the rhyme was directed at them and was a reference to a racist version that dates to before the civil rights era: "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; catch a n----- by his toe."

The sisters filed a federal lawsuit against the airline claiming they were discriminated against and suffered physical and emotional distress. Judge Kathryn H. Vratil ruled last year that the case could proceed to trial, and it began on Tuesday before an eight-member jury.

The jury returned its verdict in favor of the airline Wednesday evening.

Attorney Scott A. Wissel, representing the two women, said in his opening statement that they were humiliated and degraded when Cundiff used the phrase, and decided to sue out of frustration after Southwest Airlines would not take their complaint seriously.

Cundiff, who is white, testified that she had used the rhyme before on other flights. She said Southwest Airlines encourages employees to use humor to help make flights more fun and memorable.

She testified that she was confused why someone would complain about the rhyme. It was not until later that she learned about the racist version, she said.

moosmom
01-22-2004, 05:32 PM
OH PUHLEEEZE!!!!!

Next time maybe they should travel by AMTRAK!!! :mad: :mad:

As for their scumsucking lawyer (nothing personal Cataholic), *sighs, shakes head* I'm not a BIT surprized. He's gives the law profession a bad name.

carole
01-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Richard is this the american version of Airline, we have the british Airline, I love watching it, and am even watching repeats right now, as I missed some of the episodes, some people, you just cannot believe what they expect, great show, worth switching on the box for.:)

RICHARD
01-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by carole
Richard is this the american version of Airline, we have the british Airline, I love watching it, and am even watching repeats right now, as I missed some of the episodes, some people, you just cannot believe what they expect, great show, worth switching on the box for.:)

Don't you mean British Airways??;)

We always steal the good ideas..

It is a great show......

carole
01-23-2004, 12:41 PM
No Richard the one we get here is Easyjet, a budget airline in Uk.

What suprises me is how many people forget their passport, I find that incredible, its the first thing I would make sure I had, silly people..
:) they must be so un-organised.

RICHARD
01-23-2004, 01:00 PM
On the Monday episode there was a couple who ended up one bag short at the baggage claim.

They went to the area for lost or damaged bags....

They spoke to the gals at the counter and let them know that the lost bag was worth 370 dollars.

The clerks told them that the airline would only pay 100 dollars, if the bag was lost. That did not go over well and the 370 dollar price was brought up again and again....

Now I do believe in buying stuff that you like,

but who is stupid enough to spend almost 400 dollars for a bag that is going to tossed around by people who really don't care about the price?

Also, isn't that a real attraction to a thief who knows about expensive luggage??

The bag showed up 20 minutes later due to an error in the unloading process......

That was great....I love it when people go flying off the handle and get egg on their faces because they are stupid, impatient and unable to be courteous.

The other 'baggage' problem was a butthead who walked in and claimed "You tore my bag-This bag is made of bulletproof/ballistic material..."

If a bullet can't tear it could a baggage handler???

You could tell this guy was a frumpy old bees turd
whose sole mission in life is to make people bend to his will....

carole
01-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah Richard and what about the ones who arrive late for their flight and get so annoyed because they won't let them on, Their excuses I got held up in traffice, well hello, but one makes sure they leave in plenty time, allowing for such things, I mean if the airline held the plane for everyone who is five mins late, the passengers who get there on time would be most p****d off, delayed flights are bad enough without adding more of them from this sort of thing, people are just so un-believable eh?

I have empathy for the airline staff who are continually abused by these stupid people, my sister works for a financial firm, her job is to get money off people, you would not believe the abuse she gets, its digusting , verbal stuff, emails, she is thinking of leaving its so bad, stressful, people are sooo. bad,!!!!!