PDA

View Full Version : Purring...

mikey
01-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi again all. Hope everyones holiday went well. Gizmo and Oliver are now both 3.5 months old. Here's a question.

Gizmo has been with us now since 12/1 and will only purr for my daughter. He will climb up on and sleep on my lap while I watch TV but doesn't purr when I pet him. As soon as he sees my daughter he begins to purr. He sleeps with her every night. He seems to enjoy all of our company but only purrs for her.

Oliver does not purr except at night when he sleeps with my wife and I. When he wants attention in the middle of the night, he will nibble my nose and purr loudly but this is the only time.

Our other Maine Coon mix (Henry) :( would purr non-stop all the time. He was about 1 year old when he came into and bless our lives and 4 years old when he passed. He was a purr baby from the start.

What gives with the kittens?

Mikey

catnapper
01-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Allen never really purred until recently - after we got Pouncer. He only purrs when he's sleeping and you pet him. Pouncer purrs often and for no obvious reason. Now that he's a bit older, he's been purring a little less often than beofre. At 3.5 months, all you had to do was put your hand on him and he'd start purring. I don't know why they change their purring habits. I guess it is like us - we all find different thing to make us laugh, smile, sigh, etc.

By the way, I'm glad to see you back... I was wondering where you went and how the babeis were doing!

NoahsMommy
01-19-2004, 04:02 AM
I think each cat purrs according to their personality. Maybe?

Our tabby girl, Hermione, purrs so loud! She also loves to be loved and loves to cuddle next to me or David.

Noah only purrs when he is asking for love or sleeping on my head.

Phoebe is like your Gizmo...she purrs when she see's me or when I call her name.

Sampson only purrs like Noah, when its love time. :)

Noel doesn't purr all that much...only when she's in a lovey dovey mood.

Basie purrs a little...mainly when its just him and I together. He'll immediately stop if another cat comes around. :(

Micah has a soft purr that comes from deep inside him. He purr only during love sessions as well.

Livvy purrs like Noah and Sampson.

jenluckenbach
01-19-2004, 05:10 AM
You'll have to accept it as an expression of their purr-sonality ;).

catcrazylady
01-19-2004, 07:53 AM
My opinion is that he probably does not purr for you because he knows you want him too!!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif jk
I wouldn't take it personal because he gets in your lap for snuggle naps so he must love you very much.
I really think it has been far to long since we have seen pictures of these two adorable boys. *HINT HINT* Do they still get along and snuggle together? Like they did in pictures! *HINT HINT*