PDA

View Full Version : A Dog's Prayer

AvaJoy
01-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Maybe this will bring a little bit of comfort to those who have also lost their canine companions.

This appeared in Dear Abbey's column on 1/15/04 entitled A Dog's Prayer by Beth Norman Harris:

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest miusic, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

In remembrance of Shasta and Sadie . . . RIP dear girls.

Sudilar
01-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks for sharing that. That is one of my favorites. I hope that it will bring me comfort when the time comes. The last paragraph says it all.

RobiLee
01-19-2004, 07:28 AM
I read this in dear Abby also and thought it was a great poem. Thanks for posting it.

Robin

prettykitty1
02-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Amen