PDA

View Full Version : Sterling

aly
01-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Sterling has been adopted.

I took my pups to the shelter yesterday. I was going to stay there at the shelter with them basically until they got adopted. But they were in PreAdopt and not supposed to move into the Adoption area until Wednesday. Unfortunately I was lied to by a shelter employee and so I was not present to counsel or meet his adopter. My eyes are burning from crying so much, so I can't give many details right now. I did track down the paperwork and the application looks okay. Unfortunately they have recently changed application format and I don't think this new one can tell you quite as much (multiple choice sucks). I just can't go through this heartache again so in the future I will not be fostering for any shelters ever again. I will continue to foster for rescue groups though.

I miss my boy :( I am going to call his new mom when I can pull myself together.

Mocha has a playmate in her kennel, a cute little lab mix with beautiful eyes named Winston. I peeked around the corner when I first got to the kennel and saw them playing like crazy. Then when I said her name, she went crazy trying to get to me. She was whimpering and throwing herself at the cage. I opened it up and she jumped into my arms and wiggled and kissed me so much. She held on to me so tightly with her arms and gave me so many hugs :( I hung out with her for a little while then put her back in her cage (which broke my heart). I'm keeping close tabs on her and won't let her get adopted without me there.

Ugh. I can't stand this. These are my first fosters that I've had to put in a cage. The others I've always managed to rehome before it came to that. I just had no choice right now. They are almost 4 months and if they stayed with me much longer, it would have been so much harder to find homes. Blah.

I'll let you guys know what happens when I talk to Sterling's mommy.

Cincy'sMom
01-18-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to meet Sterling's new family. I hope it works out for him and he is in the home he deerves. You are such a angel for fosrtering these preciuos babies. I hope mocha also finds a home soon.

Let us know when you hear something.

clara4457
01-18-2004, 04:13 PM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

I know how you feel. When I fostered Sam - I was told by the shelter that I had to bring him back to stay in the kennels, even though I offered to keep him at my house as long as it took to get him adopted. (Long story - just suffice it to say that one of the shelter employees is a b**** - and thinks that none of the dogs should be in foster homes - the disadvantage to volunteering for a city organization - you have NO imput at all). I was lucky that Sam got adopted that same day (mostly because I could talk very comfortably about his personality).

It hard enough to let them go, but to not know where they go after you have spent so much time with them would be even worse. Hopefully you can find where Sterling went and check on him from time to time.

aly
01-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Just called and no one was home :(

This is so hard. These babies have been with me for almost 4 months and I'm losing it.

primabella
01-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Major hugs out to you Aly. :( I'm sorry about this. :(

Keep us updated on it, okay?

stacwase
01-18-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm so sorry that happened! Maybe you'll be able to reach his new mom and let her know that if it doesn't work out for her you'll take him back and keep him until you can find him another home? I'm sure that if she's a good person he'll work out though after all the love and training you've given him. Keep us updated and let us know what she's like when you do talk to her!

aly
01-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
Maybe you'll be able to reach his new mom and let her know that if it doesn't work out for her you'll take him back and keep him until you can find him another home?

I will definately tell her that when I reach her. I always tell everyone who adopts my fosters that I will take them back at any time, even 10 years from now.

I am also going to encourage her to take Sterling to the puppy classes I teach. Lets hope she says yes.

From the application, it is a couple with no kids and no other animals. The woman had a lab previously and lost him in a divorce.

stacwase
01-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Well it sounds good. They'll have a lot of time to dedicate to Sterling, and she's had a dog before. Chin up girl!

aly
01-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
Well it sounds good. They'll have a lot of time to dedicate to Sterling, and she's had a dog before. Chin up girl!

Thanks. I needed that encouragement. I'm afraid I am beside myself with emotions. I can barely see out of my eyes, they are so puffy from crying all day. Sometimes I wish I just didn't care this much, then it would be much easier :(

Moose
01-18-2004, 09:49 PM
But you do care...and that is a good thing. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be doing this...and what would have happened to poor Mocha and Sterling then? Keep your head up, girlie. :)

lovemyshiba
01-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Oh Aly, how heartbreaking it must be.:(

I will say my prayers for Sterling, that he is in a wonderful home.

I hope you can soon talk to his new mom, and hopefully she will make you feel better, that he is in a wonderful home.

{{{hugs}}}

RobiLee
01-19-2004, 06:28 AM
Big Hugs for you Aly! Hang in there. Let us know when you hear anything. I'm sure everything is going to be just fine. I'll bet Sterling is in a great home. I know Mocha will find a fantastic place also. I think she is adorable and wish I could have her!

Robin :)

pitc9
01-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Oh Aly I'm so sorry!!!
I feel so bad for you, and I wish I knew the magic words to heal your broken heart!
I'm sure Sterling has found a wonderful home! And one day soon, Mocha will as well!!
(no home could ever be better than yours!!)

<~HUGS~>

:D

Dogz
01-19-2004, 07:29 AM
-huge hugs-

I am so sorry, Aly. At least you know that you got them this for, and that was so good of you to do that. I can see why you will miss them when they get homes.

Keep us updated, and like everyone else said, keep your head up!

Foam
01-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry Aly. :( Hugs to you...

Any updates?

aly
01-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Ok, I woke up with my eyes almost swollen shut from too much crying :rolleyes: but I do feel much better. I haven't talked to Sterling's mom yet, but I found Mocha a home today :) :D I don't have time now but I'll be back soon with details.

luckies4me
01-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Oh Aly. I had tears in my eyes reading this. I don't know how you do it? I couldn't ever let one of my babies go, especially a dog. I mean, I have with small animals, but a cat or a dog would be too touch, especially a puppy. PLEASE do call her! Maybe you can invite her to Pet Talk? That way we can still see pictures of Sterling even after being adopted. :) You do a fantastic job, but I know how hard it can be. :( ((HUGS))

aly
01-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Well I hung out with Mocha at the shelter all day today. Since it was a holiday, I was really hopeful that a lot of people would come in and I could find her a wonderful home. She was a little angel and I held her like a baby in my arms for most of the day (all 25 lbs of her!!!).

Around 4pm I was losing hope that she'd find a home that day. I had her on my lap behind the counter and her front paws were on the desk and she was looking over at all the people. This woman came up to the counter and said "oh my goodness, she is CUTE! Is she up for adoption?". I told her she was. The woman said that she had wanted to visit with another puppy but after seeing Mocha, she really wanted her. So she filled out her application (which was really good). I took her in a room and talked to her about Mocha for awhile. Then I left to give them some time alone together since Mocha was sticking on me like glue.

I came back to check on them and the woman told me she was just in love with her and she was the perfect puppy. I talked to her for awhile longer about Mocha and then they were off on their way. Mocha seemed to take to the woman when I wasn't around so thats good :) The woman is single, works from home and has 2 cats and a brand new house with a huge yard and pool (I counseled her EXTENSIVELY on the pool and possible accidents that could happen). She is going to crate train Mocha and only have her on leash when she's in the backyard until she's older. When she's older, she'll teach her to swim and teach her where the steps are in the pool.

I really think it will be a good home for my girl. She is going to take one of my Puppy Kindegarten classes so I'll get to see my baby again soon :)

Kater
01-19-2004, 07:19 PM
YAAAAAAAAY!!! Great news, Aly! :D :D :D

dukedogsmom
01-19-2004, 08:06 PM
I am so sorry. I can sort of say I know how you feel. I went through a lot with Chance and I don't even know who has him. I would love to know who had him and get to see him again. I so much wanted a pic of him with his new family. Try not to be so sad. At least you know where Sterling is and can call them. I don't think I would foster for anyone but rescue groups, either.

anna_66
01-19-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm glad to hear that they both have a home now even though it must be very very hard on you.
I hope that they both come to class & you get to see them again:)

Uabassoon
01-19-2004, 08:32 PM
I'm so happy to hear about Mocha finding a great new home!

Sudilar
01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
So glad that Mocha is in an "aly approved" home!! I hope that Sterling has also found his forever home.

captain
01-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Aly,

Great news!
Chin up ............. it's a happy day! :D {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

Karen
01-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Aly, silly, if you didn;t care as much, you wouldn't be Aly! How nice that both pups got what sound like good homes, and so quickly, too. You can tell Sterling's new mom that you have baby pictures of him to share, and that'll be a good excuse to get together with her.

Next task - get them BOTH to join Pet talk and keep us all updated! ;)

Good job, Aly-mama, now those babies get to share their love with new homes!

lovemyshiba
01-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Aly you are the best!!!!!!!

It certainly sounds like you have found a wonderful home for Miss Mocha--plus you get to see her again!!!!
I like Karen's idea of telling the new families about the puppy pictures--what I wouldn't give to see pictures of Abbey, Kito, and Jada as pups!!!!!!!

aly
01-19-2004, 11:24 PM
I have already emailed Mocha's new mommy some baby pics and I'm in the process of making a website with all of the rest of her pictures since I have so many :)

I am definately going to keep in contact with Sterling's mommy (whether she likes it or not) and will get some baby pics to her also.

I miss my precious pups so much. I cry about it at the drop of a hat. When Piper and Sebastian got adopted, I had Mocha and Sterling already to focus my attention on. Now I don't have any dependent little babies to hover over. My foster kittens cuddle with me, but they're soooo independent! I really want to get some more foster puppies, but I know I need a break. I've had bottle puppies for over 6 months straight and bottle kittens for the whole 6 months before that. I forgot what its like to have a normal sleeping schedule. It will almost be 2 years straight that I've had at least one constant foster in my home. When my kitties all get adopted, I think I will take a month or two off. After Reece has his surgery and recovers, it will be just in time for my spring bottle babies :)

ramanth
01-20-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm so sorry your heart is breaking Aly, but I'm so glad that Sterling and Mocha found homes. :)

Hopefully you'll be able to get ahold of Sterling's new momma soon.

pitc9
01-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Aly.... your the best!!:D

kimlovescats
01-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Oh Aly, I do know how you feel ... it is always sooooooo hard to send them off into someone else's care! :(
However, it sounds like your two puppies really did get wonderful homes, and they will be healthy and happy .... thanks to your loving care! :)

(((HUGS)))

aly
01-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Oh my gosh, I just got the most wonderful email!!!!!!!!!! I am crying such tears of happiness!! Mocha's mommy emailed me with a report on how things are going and invited me to her house this weekend! She also already took 10 pictures and posted them on her website :)

Here is one (notice the bandana she already bought Mocha!!)

http://rescuedpaws.com///mocha01.jpg

She said Mocha really wants to play with the cats but they are not impressed. Mocha has gone potty outside 3 times and had only one accident (which mommy admitted was her fault). She's settling into her crate and enjoys romping around her new big backyard.

Uabassoon
01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Aly that's wonderful news! I hope we will get to see pictures of Mocha from when you go visit this weekend :) She looks so cute in her new bandana :)

primabella
01-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Aly, I don't know how you do it. :)

It sounds like Mocha is in a wonderful home and has a great mommy! I think it's so sweet fo her to invite you over. Take plenty of pictures for us and possibly get her mommy to join PT..;)

Great update on Mocha! :D

Cincy'sMom
01-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Great news for Mocha!!! That is awesome!!

Hope Sterling has found himslef in a great home as well.