PDA

View Full Version : Why do people put milk jugs all over their yards?

Tonya
01-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Why? I hear that it has something to do with keeping animals out of their yard. If this is true, I think I find an occasional dog poop in my yard much more attractive then 25 milk jugs strewn across my lawn. Can someone fill me in on this practice?

RubyMutt
01-18-2004, 03:27 PM
lol... this is so funny because one of my neighbors just put a bunch of sticks with empty milk jugs on them in their yard. My mom said it's some sort of remedy that 'supposedly' keeps moles away. I don't see how that heck that could possibly work, but ya never know I guess....

Or is my mother wrong? Could they be up for another reason?

micki76
01-18-2004, 03:30 PM
LOL, I've never heard of that Tonya. I'm with you, I'd rather have "creatures" in the yard than a bunch of milk jugs. :confused:

Of course I have Chester, so there's little chance of moles or mice.

Tonya
01-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by micki76
LOL, I've never heard of that Tonya. I'm with you, I'd rather have "creatures" in the yard than a bunch of milk jugs. :confused:

You should come to my town, Micki...It's everywhere! Mainly in the yucky part of town, but occasionally, I'll even see it at a big beautiful house!

trayi52
01-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Huh......maybe they think milkjugs are pretty? :confused:

That is a very funny picture. You come up with the darnest questions Tonya.;) :p

I never thought of that, the only time I have seen milk jugs in a yard is at Christmas people use them to put lights under, except it goes on the edge of their driveway. But alll over the yard? I would hate to have to take them down, mow the yard, put them back up. Yes I think I would rather put up with the occactional mole and fertilization of the yard than milk jugs. I am so clumsy I woulld trip, fall and break a bone again. LOL.

Willie

Cataholic
01-18-2004, 04:03 PM
LOL. That IS funny. Now, I have been guilty of having an empty milk jug (gallon sized) or two in my BACK yard...Binx likes to play with them, but the front yard? Eh, NO!

Cincy'sMom
01-18-2004, 04:32 PM
I thought I heard they were supposed to keep deer out of the garden. I've also heard it doesn't work!

We don't have empty milk jugs, but empty 2 liter or 20 oz pop bottles....they are Sadie's favorite toys!!!

Edwina's Secretary
01-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Maybe they can't find enough rusty vehicles????

Karen
01-18-2004, 04:43 PM
I have never seen that in this neck of the woods! All I can say is you sure are in a different part of the country than we are ... here, empty milk jugs would fill with water when it rained and provide breeding ground for mosquitos, lending fears of West Nile virus ...

stacwase
01-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

Oh my gosh! I'm going to wet my pants from laughing! You absolutely crack me up.

Tonya
01-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

Lol, not to be stereotypical, but it's usually the same people who have cars parked all over their lawn.

catnapper
01-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Around here, it means that the local punks have switched to something lighter. I am forever picking up empty beer bottles, soda bottles, McDonald's wrappers (there's one down the street)

One time we spent an entire Saturday picking up litter and filled a whole 55 gallon trash can and no sooner did we enter the house does a new bottle show up on our lawn:mad: Imagine if you will a very tired sunburned white female chasing down a gang banger and demanding him to return to my yard and pick up the bottle I witnessed him toss! The guy looked at me shocked and turn right around and picked it up... I think he respected me in as much as he could respect someone.

So, being that I live in the city (well, the outskirts) we do not have milk jugs on lawns as a common site... is this a rural thing?

moosmom
01-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Could it be the latest fad in lawn ornaments, replacing the ever popular pink flamingo or lawn jockey?????

luckies4me
01-18-2004, 06:23 PM
You fill them with water, most people use plain water bottles, and it keeps the local neighborhood cats from using your lawn as a litter box. ;) And yes, for some strange reason it works.

RubyMutt
01-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
You fill them with water, most people use plain water bottles, and it keeps the local neighborhood cats from using your lawn as a litter box. ;) And yes, for some strange reason it works.

Hmm... my neighbors have them upside down and stuck on sticks :confused: So, they couldn't be filled with water. I just don't understand, too scientific for my simple mind :o

luckies4me
01-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Well all my life I have been told if you fill them with water, they keep the cats from crapping in your yard, and so far it's worked, at least for my neighbors. :p

luckies4me
01-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
Hmm... my neighbors have them upside down and stuck on sticks :confused: So, they couldn't be filled with water. I just don't understand, too scientific for my simple mind :o

Well think about it. If a mole digs a hole and pops it head out, and there's something covering his head, chances are he's gonna go dig someone else. You would think....

trayi52
01-18-2004, 06:57 PM
I have a better way, lets concrete our yards, get rid of our flowers plus the need to mow the yard! Then we can just paint the concrete green! Let a mole try to stick his head through that yard!

Tennessee has a lot of the rusted cars and cars sitting on blocks!You would be suprised how many you see these good ole boys have down here in TN. My husband has a back section of our field just filled with some of these junk cars. Think I should take the tractor and drag them up here in the yard???????;)

Willie

RubyMutt
01-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Well think about it. If a mole digs a hole and pops it head out, and there's something covering his head, chances are he's gonna go dig someone else. You would think....

Well yeah, if the yard was COVERED with jugs. These people have maybe 5 or 6 making a little perimeter around the yard.

RubyMutt
01-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
I have a better way, lets concrete our yards, get rid of our flowers plus the need to mow the yard! Then we can just paint the concrete green! Let a mole try to stick his head through that yard!

Willie

Now that is a good idea! :D ;)

RICHARD
01-18-2004, 10:19 PM
THose aren't jugs...

they are MILKWEED plants.
:confused:

wolf_Q
01-18-2004, 10:38 PM
I've never heard of this....and I live in hickville...strange...;)

trayi52
01-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Believe me, I do live in hickville!;)

Twisterdog
01-18-2004, 11:42 PM
I have no idea. I'll ask my employee if she knows, she's from Modesto. LOL

Actually, someone did that in the next town over from here. Really. It was ... ummmmm ... interesting. :p

Tonya
01-18-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I have no idea. I'll ask my employee if she knows, she's from Modesto.

That's right! I bet she'll know what I'm talking about. lol. Tell her to move back, this city is full of action now! lmao.

Crikit
01-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Very simple answer to this question.

It's there to make you ask questions, do you see how well it works? ;) :D (sorry so couldn't resist )

trayi52
01-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Concrete yards, Awww, my brother-in-laws dream yard... So he don't have to mow!! I would really like to hear the results of concreting a yard...:confused: Whew, imagine what would happen if I tripped and fell in that yard, and I am such a clumsy person!! I broke my foot, just walking across a yard with grass! Ouch!

Twisterdog
01-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
That's right! I bet she'll know what I'm talking about. lol. Tell her to move back, this city is full of action now! lmao.

That's exactly why she left ... a little TOO much action! LOL

RubyMutt
01-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Crikit
Very simple answer to this question.

It's there to make you ask questions, do you see how well it works? ;) :D (sorry so couldn't resist )

Dang it! I have been fooled again.

I'll get back at them somehow... maybe I'll hang cereal boxes from the tress and bushes! That'll show em!

wolf_Q
01-19-2004, 12:38 AM
I'll get back at them somehow... maybe I'll hang cereal boxes from the tress and bushes! That'll show em!

My friend and I once hung tampons in a persons tree. Now THAT would inspire questions! ;)

Just for the record this was a person we knew and they deserved it. ;)

G.P.girl
01-19-2004, 12:41 AM
lol i've never heard of that before, but there is a house near here that has a beautiful lnadscaping job done. then...they put up this big ceramic tower. (about 6 ft. tall) and it's hollow and has windows allup it's sides. and they put barbies, kens mcdonalds toys , and every kind of tacky plastic toy you could ever think of in those windows hanging out. and this is in thier front yard! right wheere everyone can see when they 're driving by! and it's in the really nice part of the nieghborhood (right by the water) i laughed so hard the first time i saw it! i was used to the ohio and north carolina briers with the big cheesy flamingoes and the orange painted deer in the yard and the dwarfs and stuff...lol :)

Uabassoon
01-19-2004, 02:09 AM

Wow I forget that people actually have lawns :) Here in the desert we just decorate our yards with giant rocks. No mowing necessary :)

Tonya
01-19-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Wow I forget that people actually have lawns :) Here in the desert we just decorate our yards with giant rocks. No mowing necessary :)

Lol, that's so true. We had some new neighbors move in up the road....They decorated their yard "Arizona style". Everyone thought there were freaks. But in Az, that is how every yard is. Only the nuts try to keep grass green there. lol. Actually, my cousin has a nice green lawn, but her fiance owns a landscaping business there in Phoenix. He has the means.

RICHARD
01-19-2004, 11:09 AM
I woke up this morning, went out side to pick up the paper and....

there it was, on the neighbor's lawn.....

I'll find out which one of you put it there.:p :p

Tonya
01-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
lol i've never heard of that before, but there is a house near here that has a beautiful lnadscaping job done. then...they put up this big ceramic tower. (about 6 ft. tall) and it's hollow and has windows allup it's sides. and they put barbies, kens mcdonalds toys , and every kind of tacky plastic toy you could ever think of in those windows hanging out. and this is in thier front yard! right wheere everyone can see when they 're driving by! and it's in the really nice part of the nieghborhood (right by the water) i laughed so hard the first time i saw it! i was used to the ohio and north carolina briers with the big cheesy flamingoes and the orange painted deer in the yard and the dwarfs and stuff...lol :)

LMAO! Sounds like something my mom would do. Right now my mom has these CD's hanging all over her tree and house. She thinks she is so brilliant for this idea because they look so beautiful when they reflect in the light. :rolleyes:

slick
01-19-2004, 01:58 PM
LOL I went out with a guy once that kept commenting on milk jugs.....but they weren't the kind you buy at the grocery store.:D

What was I thinking???

Tonya
01-19-2004, 02:03 PM
LMAO! I married one like that, Slick. And he turned out to be not so bad after all. haha. He just required a little more training. ;)

Miss Meow
01-19-2004, 03:09 PM
We don't have milk jugs, but my mum is a little on the weird side and had an arbor built to hold her painted toilet ... I swear I'm adopted :eek:

It's just inside the driveway so visitors don't miss it. She was scared that the market gardeners over the road would steal it, so she had dad concrete it to the paving!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/pabef2ad7509334e05a316d1383d8b885/f9e44f98.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/pfa9a08e4064825ff24101380a0dc78c4/f9e44f9e.jpg

Must get her onto the milk jug thing.

trayi52
01-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Just be happy that you don't look outside and see somebody actually using it!

Maybe you should show her some of the beautiful Milk weeds that Richard was talking about!;)

slick
01-19-2004, 03:32 PM
LOL Too cute MM. Maybe she just wants to keep "a head" of the Jones'!!!!:D :D

I kill me!!!!

RICHARD
01-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

It's just inside the driveway so visitors don't miss it. She was scared that the market gardeners over the road would steal it, so she had dad concrete it to the paving!!!

The pedestrians won't miss it either....

Skip to the LOO my darling!!!

Tonya
01-19-2004, 03:50 PM
We don't have milk jugs, but my mum is a little on the weird side and had an arbor built to hold her painted toilet ... I swear I'm adopted :eek:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/pabef2ad7509334e05a316d1383d8b885/f9e44f98.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/pfa9a08e4064825ff24101380a0dc78c4/f9e44f9e.jpg

Must get her onto the milk jug thing.

OMG! I MUST show my husband this! He swears my mom is one of a kind. Apparently she has a twin out there. She has a toilet, bbq, and bathtub planter in the backyard. lol. And she is afraid that people are going to steal her cool CD invention. lmao.

I must say though, your mom has the most attractive toilet that I've ever seen.

Tonya
01-19-2004, 03:51 PM
hahaha, slick! I just read that. You kill me too!

catland
01-19-2004, 04:58 PM
true confession - I own a herd of pink flamingos - we use them as part of our outdoor Christmas display (Santa being pulled by his eight tiny pink flamingos). We also have a phone booth for our front yard light - not the all enclosed kind but the open three sided kind.

Tonya
01-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by catland
true confession - I own a herd of pink flamingos - we use them as part of our outdoor Christmas display (Santa being pulled by his eight tiny pink flamingos). We also have a phone booth for our front yard light - not the all enclosed kind but the open three sided kind.

Now, I can't tease you about that. I REALLY like that idea. That's cool! I just might steal it next year.

catland
01-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Now, I can't tease you about that. I REALLY like that idea. That's cool! I just might steal it next year.

No problem, We stole the idea from someone else.;)

Twisterdog
01-20-2004, 12:15 AM
I asked my employee about the milk jugs. She said she had no clue, and had never seen that when she lived there. So, it must a new thing. LOL

Tonya
01-20-2004, 12:32 AM
I guess it's a new trend. lol.

tuxluvr
01-21-2004, 07:45 PM
The only thing I can think of is that the noise from the wind blowing through the milk jugs would create annoying vibrations down the poles to the moles underground and send them to browner pastures... (moles have poor eyesight but sensitive hearing-----and although they have very human looking hands, they don't have long arms and cannot "hold their ears") ---

Truth is, moles are there because their favorite snack, grub worms, are there....and in the words of the gardner's bard
" Where e'er a grub worm spawns, a mole will wreck the lawns"

Many have pondered the mole dilemma, and most do not want to resort to using unfriendly substances to remove the grubs (pesticides that can hurt other sweet animals)....so there has been a "country lore movement" for years debating the best method for divesting one's lawn of nature's little half-blind living rototillers.

Since there is no pied-piper of grubworms, and since I will not succumb to "pesky-sides"...alas, my lawn will be adorned with little mud piles - there was even one that surfaced in my heavily graveled driveway! Methinks I should be concerned about mole steroid usage - that one had to take some effort on the part of the mole!

Sometimes when I look at my back yard from an upstairs window, I think this looks like the tunnel network in Afghanistan and perhaps one of my moles is actually named "Mole-Sama"...but I digress.

Whatever this peculiar practice is doing to the moles (other than perhaps they poke their heads out and laugh themselves to death).....I shudder to think what a crop of milk jugs does to the overall neighborhood property values!

Got MIlk?

tuxluvr
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
....on the other hand, maybe it isn't moles at alll but.....ALIENS...yeah.....you put plastic milk jugs upside down on sticks all over your yard and aliens will fly over and say

"Those people are too wierd, let's go next door"

Nomilynn
01-21-2004, 08:20 PM
To treat moles in our yard, I always uncovered the hole, stuffed in some dog poop, and then covered the hole again. I figure if that doesn't smoke them out, nothing will!! Plus, the scent of a predator made them take off.

Tonya
01-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
....on the other hand, maybe it isn't moles at alll but.....ALIENS...yeah.....you put plastic milk jugs upside down on sticks all over your yard and aliens will fly over and say

"Those people are too wierd, let's go next door"

hahahahaha

tuxluvr
01-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
To treat moles in our yard, I always uncovered the hole, stuffed in some dog poop, and then covered the hole again. I figure if that doesn't smoke them out, nothing will!! Plus, the scent of a predator made them take off.

hmmmm...perhaps I can coax the neighbor's dog to make a few deposits in the "bank of molehole"

Cinder & Smoke
01-23-2004, 11:13 AM
... my Mum is a little on the weird side and
had an arbor built to hold her painted toilet ...
I swear I'm adopted :eek:

It's just inside the driveway
so visitors don't miss it...

Mum would get along great with my Buddy, Pat, the Plumber!

Years ago, he was rebuilding a high school bathroom.
They replaced a group of Floor Mounted Urinals...
Three or four of which were sanitized (so he said) and came home...

They wound up standing side by side next to his mini-barn -
FULLY Visible from the street...
with flowers planted in the drain holes! :rolleyes:

Quite the eye-catching display - especially in the winter -
when there were NO flowers! :p

/s/ Phred