PDA

View Full Version : over coming a fear, 12ga shotgun (using a 3" slug)

kingrattus
01-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Its not the kind of fear that u run away screaming ur head off. Its more like a "no way, that looks like it'll hurt" kind of fear.

Rob, Omer & I went to the SF gun Range today & I asked if I could try Omer's shotgun. BUT only if both guys helped me with it.

Omer put one round in it & handed it to me & Rob helped me hold up the front end (I'm too small for most guns out there). Omer helped me find where to put the butt of the stock. & I aimed & fired down range somewhere (the batteries to his scope died cause it was below -20C & WINDY).

POOOOOW! Rob took the shotgun away from me & asked what ammo did Omer give me. Omer started LOL & said one of the big slugs!!

I was fine & said "AGAIN" Rob said holy doo doo, I thought u were gonna give her birdshot (less kick, & smaller pellets) :)

Well I took my 2ed shot & wish I didn't do it.
They got me to stand in the proper possion to fire a shotsun & the butt didn't go in my pit (not my armpit a pit near my shoulder & armpit), because I'm too small & because of my 2 jackets nobody noticed.

POOOOOWW... HOLY DOO DOO, OMG, AHHHHHHH, OUCHY!!!
I now have a fist sized bruse :(
Its not coloured everywhere, but its hurts really bad to touch & more my arm.

Well the guys LOL & shot it a few times their selved & said next time u'll use our 20ga single loader UNKNOWN Italian manufacture Shotgun (hehehe its SUPER SUPER OLD, & we paid 50.00cad for it :) ). This shotgun is much smaller & should be easier for me to hold & fit into my pit, BUT!! its a much harder KICK.. oi :P

Now I have to over come my fear of the 300 WINMAG Sniper Riffle. I can't try it yet because its still in BC being worked up (being turned into a perfect sniper riffle & then painted). & when it comes back, its going to weigh just under 30 POUNDS!!!
Todays shotgun was under 10 pounds!!!

I hope it doesn't break me :)

Desert Arabian
01-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Yep, it hurts. But the more you shoot them the more you get used it it. My shoulder is now "conditioned" for 3" slugs.

SKS's rock really hard too, O-U-C-H!

kingrattus
01-18-2004, 08:48 AM
I uses an SKS last summer & it felt just like my mini, mmmm breaks heheheheh

RICHARD
01-18-2004, 01:47 PM
start small and work your way up...

do not tense up when you shoot.

take a breath, let out half and snug the gun to your shoulder.

It's like the karate thing you are taught....'bend' with the shot...do not try to fight the recoil.....

kingrattus
01-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I know, I just don't like big guns mostly because their loud (& hurt hehe)... I don't think the -20C, wind & wearing to winter jackets helped, hehehe... I'm use to using my M4, .22 & mini 14.

But the shotgun was too big for me, my arm wasn't even long enough for me to hold the stock under the barrel (another reason why rob was holding it for me hehehe).

It can really suck being small sometimes :)

Man I'm gonna have fun being a cop :)