View Full Version : I Can't Believe This Man

lizbud
01-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Can you say "sexist"......:mad:

Head Of FIFA Suggests Female Players Wear Tighter Shorts
Blatter's Call For More Feminine Uniforms Called 'Irresponsible,' 'Ridiculous'

POSTED: 5:35 p.m. EST January 16, 2004
UPDATED: 5:52 p.m. EST January 16, 2004

LONDON -- The president of world soccer has suggested that female players wear more revealing uniforms to bring more attention to their sport -- a remark that was blasted by female athletes as "ridiculous" and "irresponsible."

FIFA President Sepp Blatter said the women's game should try to attract fashion and cosmetics companies as sponsors by featuring "more feminine uniforms," such as "tighter shorts."

Pauline Cope, a goalkeeper for England, said the comment is "typical of a bloke." A Norwegian player said that if the crowd wants to come and watch models they should go buy a copy of Playboy.

A FIFA spokesman said the remarks weren't meant to be offensive and pointed out that Blatter went on to say women's football is established and has a future.

G.P.girl
01-17-2004, 09:01 PM
:mad: :mad: talk abou tsexist

primabella
01-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Geez talk about sexist. If anything the guys should wear tighter shorts..;) I'm just kidding :p

slick
01-17-2004, 09:46 PM
LOL when I was younger I used to watch football just to see the player's butts.......did that make me sexist??? Probably, but for some guy to publicy admit that these female players should wear tighter shorts is just ridiculous. As a female I'm not disgusted by this guy; he's just a typical male that probably said it with tongue in cheek and the media, of course, had a field day. Now, being that he is the President of World Soccer I think he should have used a bit more discretion.

primabella
01-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by slick
LOL when I was younger I used to watch football just to see the player's butts.......did that make me sexist??? Probably, but for some guy to publicy admit that these female players should wear tighter shorts is just ridiculous. As a female I'm not disgusted by this guy; he's just a typical male that probably said it with tongue in cheek and the media, of course, had a field day. Now, being that he is the President of World Soccer I think he should have used a bit more discretion.

Good point Slick. You can always have your opinions and we all know what sells these days but if you are in a certain position representing a sport for both sexes, you should have a bit more class and know what the wrong things to say are. That's how I see it anyhow.

babolaypo65
01-17-2004, 10:32 PM
I saw this on CNN this morning. What a joke!

KYS
01-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Caveman, sexist mentality!
A man in his position should have known better than to make that comment! tisk tisk

mugsy
01-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by slick

The difference is that the NFL didn't PLAN to make uniforms so women would watch, nor did they suggest that they ask companies that make remedies for athlete's foot or jock itch to sponsor them.

What a jerk!! I wonder how long he'll have his job?

lizbud
01-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by primabella
Geez talk about sexist. If anything the guys should wear tighter shorts..;) I'm just kidding :p

:D :D

Really though, I don't think he takes Womens Soccer seriously.
Statements like that tend to marginalize women. It's really dumb
for the President of the World Soccer League to say something
like that.

joycenalex
01-18-2004, 09:50 AM
so does mean that the men also need tighter shorts, toned tushes, with...um....bigger cups in front to attract more attention from female fans? :rolleyes:

RICHARD
01-18-2004, 01:51 PM
LOL,

Put a couple of golf balls in YOUR undies and try to run in tight shorts.

Two words...

Brandy Chastain

:eek:

Miss Meow
01-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Male soccer players wear awful baggy shirts and shorts. Don't remember him asking THEM to wear tighter outfits ... :rolleyes:

clara4457
01-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Reminds me of the movie "A League of Their Own" where the All American Girls Professional Baseball League that started in the 1940's were required to wear skirts when playing to bring the men to watch the games. It is so nice to hear that men have come sooooo far in their attitudes towards professional women's sports :rolleyes:

2kitties
01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
sexist, to say the least. but he's got a point. it's a sport with a dwindling viewership. Would that save the sport? Maybe. Is it worth that price? Probably not. But the FACT is that women's soccer was never so popular as the day Brandy Chastain ripped off her top to show her sports bra. What's a girl to do, you know?
Women's professional sports are generally not the revenue producers that men's sports are. This guy may not have a popular idea, but his ends may justify the means.

micki76
01-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Put a couple of golf balls in YOUR undies and try to run in tight shorts.

How did you know what I like to do on Saturday nights? :confused: :p :D

Yeah, it was sexist. But wouldn't you watch men's soccer more if the guys were required to go shirtless? I would! :p

G.P.girl
01-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by micki76

Yeah, it was sexist. But wouldn't you watch men's soccer more if the guys were required to go shirtless? I would! :p
lol! me too! :p

krazywhitechick
01-19-2004, 12:58 AM
im so sick of guys telling girls that their job is to look more sexual. like sports illustrated magazine, how do those swimsuit issues tie in with sports exactly? it's like telling people that the sports women are good at are to sexually entertain men. it really pisses me off.

anyways theres another message board i enjoy going on, its www.msmagazine.com we discuss a lot of topics like this. even though it is more of a feminist site men are welcome to go too, i actually encourage guys to go because they might learn something. don't worry feminism doesn't mean men bashing either, even though for some reason a lot of people think that.