PDA

View Full Version : How would you leave Pet Talk ?

PayItForward
01-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Before I start….

1. Karen feel free to move this post to the dog house if need be.

2. If anyone feels angry….Here is Bramble to make you smile again
http://www.piftails.com/images/SinkBaby.jpg

3. This is only hypothetical discussion, I am not leaving :D

4. To prevent complaints or threats of legal action from those people who hate Pet Talk yet still lurk on this site (How pathetic are some people?).........

DO NOT POST NAMES OF ANY PAST PT POSTERS ELSE I WILL DELETE THIS THREAD
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was trying to think…Is there such a way of a right / successful way to leave PT or any other on-line community, without upsetting people?

I know a big part of the problem is why you are leaving?

Leaving as you have lost interest…I suppose the most successful way to leave would be to slowly post less and less and if you had no GOOD friends to chase you, you would fade away in time.

Leaving on very bad terms. Well if everyone hated you, stopping posts would work. As PT would sigh with relief and never chase you.

Leaving for unspecified reason…Tricky. If you left would you owe Pet Talk an explanation or just the people you liked and regard as friends. Or is it up to you ???

Leaving on good terms…Maybe this would work, if you explained why you were leaving maybe not.

I have seen people been upset because PT people have wanted a break and either posted OR not posted their intention to have a break.

So I ask the floor, what do you guys think…..Remember I want calm responses and NO PAST PT NAMES

Cincy'sMom
01-17-2004, 11:44 AM
I don't really imagine leaving PT, except inthe case when I really just did not have time for the computer at all, however, since things and times change, I would think I would leave quietly. PM or email the people I chat with most often and Karen, explain why I was leaving, ask them to keep in touch and give them permission to let others know why I was leaving, and then go.

This is just my opinion but I think people that make a thread saying they are leaving, first all, don't. In some cases it may be because feelings are mended by them posting that, in others it may just be a cry for attention. Personally, I can't imagine enough people offending me bad enough I would leave the board...just put a few on my ignore list.

Cataholic
01-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Well, I am suprised you didn't make us sign a WAIVER with all that rules nonsense...:D

I agree with Amy...I think I would leave quietly, letting those that are important to me know my reason(s). After all, that is how I would conduct myself in any 'group'...be it work, social, sports, etc. Letting people know so that there isn't concern, AND cause it is the polite way to be.

As far as posting the attention seeking threads, "I am leaving"...I think it is far more reasonable to say, "I am mad right now" giving people the forum to address any issues. Then, the person doesn't look like the 'Boy Who Cried Wolf' so much. But, that prolly comes with age and experience.

I imagine some people think, "I don't HAVE to tell..." or, "I don't OWE anyone anything.."...and I think those people are more focused on reacting to other's behaviour than on carrying out their own actions. None of us, in the true sense, really OWE or HAVE to do much. It is who we are inside that requires us to live by a certain standard.

Now, I MUST leave PT right now. See, I ate 1/2 bag of cheetos, and if I don't go to the gym, I am afraid I might die of orange food coloring overdose.

Great thread, PIF!

slick
01-17-2004, 12:05 PM
The only way I would leave Pet Talk is if I no longer had access to a computer at all, or God forbid, I die. I was even contemplating putting a paragraph at the end of my Will, asking my Executor to contact Karen in the event of my death. Mind you, I would have one less foot because I joined the GPC :D :D

KYS
01-17-2004, 12:08 PM
I guess if I was to leave, I would do so quietly,
and just tell the people I am the closest too.

Was I suppose to sign a waiver? hehehe

Moose
01-17-2004, 12:11 PM
I think I would leave quietly, and if someone was to post a thread asking where I had gone or anything like that, I would PM them my response instead of replying to the thread.

PayItForward
01-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by slick
The only way I would leave Pet Talk is if I no longer had access to a computer at all, or God forbid, I die. I was even contemplating putting a paragraph at the end of my Will, asking my Executer to contact Karen in the event of my death. Mind you, I would have one less foot because I joined the GPC :D :D
ROTFLMAO :D

RubyMutt
01-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't think I would ever (or COULD ever) leave Pet Talk. If there was a member who was bothering me I'd add them to my ignore list (I've done it before - that's a great feature!).

Well, I guess I would leave PT if all the nice people who are here now left and it became overthrown by trolls. If that were the case, I think I'd just quietly leave. Buuuut, thankfully, I don't see that happening :D

Pam
01-17-2004, 12:22 PM
This thread has me laughing, and I have to say that next to the fact that I love talking with pet lovers and and seeing and hearing about everyone's pets, some of the folks here have such a great sense of humor and so much creativity that I would totally miss the laughs and fun I receive. I agree with you all. I'd go quietly and just mention it to a few people who I really feel close to.

trayi52
01-17-2004, 12:34 PM
I guess if I was to leave, I would do so quietly,
and just tell the people I am the closest too.

I would have to agree with this one, and the only way is if my computer blew up and killed me in the process! You could read that on the news I'm sure if that happened! And as far as people bugging me, I have found that I get to know that person better as I read their post and I find out I really like the person. So I would even have a hard time putting them on my ignore list. What better way to get to know somebody than reading what they have to say??? You find out, wow this person is NOT as bad as I thought, hey I like this person! I haven't met anybody on here yet that I would put on my ignore list. I guess I would go kicking and screaming having to be pulled out by the hair on my head!

Willie

Randi
01-17-2004, 12:38 PM
For me, it would depend on the reason I left. If I were busy, I'd post and tell it - but then, I'd come back again.

If something terrible happened, I would probably not post anything for a while, but eventually, I'd let people know. Especially the ones I like and am close to. In the last case, I'd probably ask someone to tell the rest.

If everybody I like left, I'd most likely leave quietly.

But, I'm not leaving! :)

lbaker
01-17-2004, 01:04 PM
I'd sooner leave my home and that I could never do! Even if I lost my job and computer I would try to use the library. Now that I have finally found friends - why leave? Thought I would once, when I thought I had gotten someone involved in a sticky mess when Karen was out of town but that worked out OK so here I am and here I'll stay :cool:

luckies4me
01-17-2004, 01:11 PM
The only way I would leave Pet Talk is if I no longer had access to a computer at all, or God forbid, I die. I was even contemplating putting a paragraph at the end of my Will, asking my Executer to contact Karen in the event of my death.

Same here! I told Dan that if I die he HAS to come here and let everyone know. I don't think I could ever imagine leaving PT. Maybe not being on as much, but leaving altogether? I just don't see that happening. If something tragic happened I would just post that I needed some time to myself for a little bit and that I would be back later. I really feel that I have a connection to a lot of people here at PT.

aly
01-17-2004, 01:14 PM
If I ever left PT, it would probably be over hurt feelings or strong emotions that I couldn't control. I can't see myself leaving otherwise. I would probabaly make a post saying goodbye even though I know people hate that. I would just want my friends to know why I was leaving, etc.

CountryWolf07
01-17-2004, 01:16 PM
If I decide to leave PT, I would leave quietly, and only let my close online friends on here know about it - period.

Guaranteed, that I have lost interest a little, but I still am into animals and my two babies, Anna and Rosie..

neko1
01-17-2004, 01:40 PM
If I ever left it would be because I just wouldn't have enough time to devote to the computer. I would just stop posting, and since no one here considers me a good friend, then I would fade away....

PayItForward
01-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by neko1
If I ever left it would be because I just wouldn't have enough time to devote to the computer. I would just stop posting, and since no one here considers me a good friend, then I would fade away....
We won't let you fade away :(

Moose
01-17-2004, 02:38 PM
You all have got me thinking about the whole "what if I die" scenario. :p I was talking to Josh on the phone a few minutes ago and I mentioned that he'd have to come here and tell you all. :D:p

Cheshirekatt
01-17-2004, 02:56 PM
I also looooove the ignore feature. I wish I had this feature in the 3-D world! :D

I'd let a few people know I was leaving and why and let them farm out the information as they felt necessary.

If it was due to anything other then lack of time or interest I'd drop Karen a line letting her know my concerns and the why's and what for's.

:)

Heather Wallace
01-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Interesting fellow bad girl!

Yes, I would only leave a forum if I didn't have enough time to.

The internet is a strange thing, some people seem to get offended easy, I think you have to remember that it is only a computer afterall.

Thanks for this topic anyway.

dukedogsmom
01-17-2004, 03:25 PM
I can't imagine leaving but if I did, I would probably just stop coming and leaving fewer posts. And, I would PM the ones that I am close to here. Honestly, some of the past people have been so melodramatic about it. And some people still here, too. Turning someone's leaving into a huge mess. That's why I stay away from the majority of that stuff. I think it's stupid to let a few spoil sports "run you off", so to speak. And yes, I have utilized the ignore feature. That's why it was created! So, if someone is getting on your nerves, put them on ignore and stay and enjoy PT! I think I've said enough, or, maybe too much. I'm sure I'll find out :)
Neko1, I just now saw your note. I really don't know you because I guess you stay on cat side and me on dog side. But I'm sure we would care if you left.

Moose
01-17-2004, 03:32 PM
I've never even thought about using ignore option before. In all honesty, I didn't even know it existed. That's a genius idea though...lol. Hm, I wonder how many people have me on their ignore list. ;):p

trayi52
01-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Brooke, I have you on my ignore list, can't you tell!;) JUST KIDDING! Neko, I would miss you and would be wondering what happen to you. Don't ever believe you don't have close friends here because you do.

Brooke again, I was just kidding. I love all of your posts and would miss you, never, never would I put you on ignore.

Of course there are people in person that I know that I wish had that feature too. The people here, I don't ignore, I want to hear about all of you and how do you get to know somebody if you are ignoring them. To me, and this is just me I suppose, if I ignore you, how am I going to get to know you. I want to get to know all that I can.

I will have my sister come here or my daughter tell you if I die!

Willie

Moose
01-17-2004, 04:03 PM
lol well that's good to know Willie. ;) No, but in all seriousness...thanks. :D

Yeah, I wish I had an ignore option for the people I have to see and talk to daily....in person :p

carole
01-17-2004, 05:03 PM
It would all depend on the reasons I was leaving I suppose, but for me I would probably post that I was leaving, and explain , not to grab attention, as believe me I hate attention being focused on me too much, but to me it would just be manners to do so., thats the way my mama brought me up.

I remember when I was not internet capable for a short time , I posted as I wanted everyone to know I was indeed coming back, and not leaving on bad terms.

bluekat
01-17-2004, 06:06 PM
I really don't know how I would leave PT. I never want to leave, but I know that some time in life, we would all have to. I mean...I know I'm not going to be on here for years and years.
There was another forum I used to go to for awhile. It wasn't a really big forum. When I joined PT it was better here and I like it here a lot more. I just went to that other forum less and less and I just stopped going. I hardly knew anyone that well there anyways.:p

But if I was to ever leave PT, which I hope won't be anytime soon...it would depend on the reason to why I'm leaving I guess.

gini
01-17-2004, 06:53 PM
How would I leave Pet Talk? What? Why would I leave?

Sure, I have been upset sometimes by some of the cruel, thoughtless, heartless posts that have been made. But how often has that happened?

And then one day I discovered the "ignore" button. I did use it and it always made me laugh because when a post came up and it said "this person is on your ignore list" it made me laugh out loud. Yippee, I don't have to read more garbage.

Currently there is no one on my ignore list - or if there is, the person has already left Pet Talk.

Now, it is very possible "I could be asked to leave" - especially when I have spent the afternoon at Thursdays - played too long with Mario - got locked in the lost and found for a while - and in general gotten too rowdy. But I would just blame the whole thing on Richard.

Seriously, there are far too many people on this board that I care about, feel honored to call "a friend" and feel that I could come here to share just about anything.

In fact, I am hoping as many people as possible will be able to come to the second Annual BBQ in July in my home.

Ya know, a convention for Pet Talker's isn't that far from being a true reality.

Miss Meow
01-17-2004, 07:38 PM
I think I'd PM Karen and my friends here and keep it quiet, but leave my account open for a while so people can e-mail me if they want.

Or, I'd just realise that it's too hard to leave this place, and just forget about the entire concept of leaving ;)

Felicia's Mom
01-17-2004, 08:52 PM
I don't plan on leaving, I did once instead used my Ignore Button.

primabella
01-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Moose
Yeah, I wish I had an ignore option for the people I have to see and talk to daily....in person :p

If only :D

I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon. I suppose I'd keep in touch with my closest friends on here and maybe post a thread about leaving. I know people generally hate that but at least people know. If that thread annoys them all they have to do is ignore it. :) If I would choose not to post a thread, I guess I would PM Karen and explain to her why I'm leaving and if I'd like others to know etc.

But who knows? ;)

catland
01-17-2004, 09:27 PM
I'd throw a tantrum and post a mean, spiteful email that hurt the feelings of my so called "cyber" friends - NOT!!!!

I can certainly understand if someone doesn't have a lot of posts and/or hasn't ever really gotten to know others and decides that they have better things to do (perish the thought:eek: ) that they would just fade into the background - that's ok.

But I'd like to believe that at least some of you are more than mere "cyber" friends by now, and it would be rude to just leave without telling at least some of you so that I haven't just vanished off of the face of the earth.

This is a funny place, it gets under your skin in a way I never thought possible.

Cheshire - LOL about wanting the ignore feature in not cyber life. Figure out a way to do that and you'll be richer than Bill Gates!

micki76
01-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Pam
I'd go quietly and just mention it to a few people who I really feel close to.

This is what I did at first. I didn't want to leave one of those melodramatic "I'm leaving" threads. I was kinda hoping my absence wouldn't really be noticed until I made my decision to go or not.

Originally posted by Miss Meow
I think I'd PM Karen and my friends here and keep it quiet, but leave my account open for a while so people can e-mail me if they want.

Or, I'd just realize that it's too hard to leave this place, and just forget about the entire concept of leaving ;)

I PM'ed a couple of people before I left. Naomi emailed me and mentioned the thread wondering where I was. At that point, I felt it was necessary to post and tell you all what was happening with me. I received a lot of emails & PM’s from friends and decided that I did want to come back. Hopefully I’ll never feel the need or desire to leave PT again.

Brooke - I’d never have you or Moosie on my Ignore list!

trayi52
01-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Micki that was the best decision you ever did make, coming back!! I guess that will teach you to try to sneak out the back door when nobody is looking.;) As a very wise person said to me yesterday, you don't know how much you miss somebody until they are not there anymore.

catland I thought of that too, except I was thinking I will pack 'everything' and just leave.;) . No I would never do that, no way! Computer would have to blow up in my face and etc.

Willie Sue;)

micki76
01-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Thank you Willie Sue! :D

wolf_Q
01-17-2004, 09:56 PM
I've made a few half-witted attempts at leaving Pet Talk. I've never made a post or anything, as I've never been positive on leaving (don't think I ever will be either)...

I've just had some "breaks." I think it's a good idea if you feel frustrated and want to leave...just take a break for a while.

slick
01-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by neko1
Michelle, there was a time last year that I took a 2 week break from Pet Talk and no one posted a "where are you" thread. That convinced me at that time, that I was not a good friend to anyone. Since then I've realized that I care about everyone here and if they don't care about me....so what!!

Even though we don't share PM's or email, I do care about you and look forward to seeing pictures of your furkids and I loved seeing pictures of your wedding. You are a very special Pet Talker and I would hate to think that you would ever leave. I'm sorry I've never said that before. :(

Twisterdog
01-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Few things I hate more than the big drama-queen "I'm leaving!" messages. IMO, the entire purpose of these messages is to garner attention. People posting these types of messages are just wanting to read dozens of replies saying, "Ooooh, no, please don't leave! We love you! We need you! The whole site wil crumble without you!" Fishing for compliments, it's called, and it's pretty pathetic, IMO. And nine times out of ten, the person doesn't leave at all, because they never intended to in the first place. Or they leave for a little while, and come back later.

If one is truly wanting to quit posting on a particular site, then just quit posting. Everyone's world will continue to spin, guaranteed. Pretty simple. No drama needed.

Michelle, there was a time last year that I took a 2 week break from Pet Talk and no one posted a "where are you" thread. That convinced me at that time, that I was not a good friend to anyone. Since then I've realized that I care about everyone here and if they don't care about me....so what!!

I disagree with that. I, personally, am horrible about noticing things like that. I'm not sure if I would notice if my own next door neighbor left for two weeks. :o People are busy, and there are a LOT of people on this site. But, just because someone doesn't notice, doesn't meant they don't like you or care about what happens to you. When someone points it out, "Hey, where has so-and-so been?", then I realize that I haven't seen them for a while, and I wonder about them and hope they are ok. It's not that no one cares ... it's just that we all have a lot on our plates. And, just like in real life, sometimes, sadly, it is the sqeaky wheel that gets the grease, eh?

primabella
01-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Few things I hate more than the big drama-queen "I'm leaving!" messages. IMO, the entire purpose of these messages is to garner attention. People posting these types of messages are just wanting to read dozens of replies saying, "Ooooh, no, please don't leave! We love you! We need you! The whole site wil crumble without you!" Fishing for compliments, it's called, and it's pretty pathetic, IMO. And nine times out of ten, the person doesn't leave at all, because they never intended to in the first place. Or they leave for a little while, and come back later.

If one is truly wanting to quit posting on a particular site, then just quit posting. Everyone's world will continue to spin, guaranteed. Pretty simple. No drama needed.

You have a good point. But I know I wouldn't post a thread if I didn't intend on leaving. And even if I did get a million "Please come back" replies, if I decide to leave, I am deciding to leave. It also depends on how it's worded. If it is more or less "Oh I hate it here. Everyone hates me so I am leaving! I don't know if I will ever be back, do you want me back?" Yes that screams drama queen IMO but if it explains why you are leaving and some form of contact in a mature way, it just seems more like a notice to me.

But I guess we just see it differently. No worries. :)

trayi52
01-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Slick, you know I have shown my daughter neko1 or Michelle's wedding dress. My daughter is going to get married some time next year(i hope its next year) She fell in love with that dress. Wants one like it.

So Michelle, I hope you don't go anywhere because I may have a lot of questions to ask you.

I'm not leaving!!! I would beg, plead with Karen, but I wouldn't throw a baby tantrum.;) Karen. I don't know I might....

dukedogsmom
01-17-2004, 11:18 PM
I totally agree with you, Twisterdog. That's why I didn't comment in those threads.

jenluckenbach
01-18-2004, 06:09 AM
I'd leave if I felt a lot of people hated me AND I'd post a dramatic I am leaving thread and name names so that everyone else would hate these people too!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd leave if I gnawed off one too many paws and could not type. I would have someone else post for me then.

I'd leave if my computer dies and I'd no longer have access. I would just move back in with dad then and use his computer. OH, I guess I wouldn't be leaving then, Huh?

I'd leave if I decided I hated pets..............HA HA HA Then I'd just post how useless pet owners are and that I wasn't coming back and did anyone want my cats..........HA HA HA

The REAL question is.......How would you prefer OTHER people to leave? I'd hate to be "left out" of the reason if the member only PM'd their closest friends and left the other people who care about them hanging with questions.

sasvermont
01-18-2004, 06:24 AM
I am not sure I would want to know why everyone has left, assuming that not posting, is leaving. I do miss some of the originial folks and either I don't recall why they left (old age setting in) or maybe I didn't read the thread where they mentioned why.

If I decided to leave, I would just leave. I suspect I would give some reasons to anyone who emailed me, but really, I am a fairly private person and wouldn't want the attention-getting farewell to be my last post.

Maybe we should ask Karen to create a category for saying goodbye.....How would it be titled? Au revoir.... Later Dude and Dudettes.....Gotta Get a Life So I am Leaving......any suggestions...or not! ....oh, one more good one (in my estimation)...."Just wanted to let you all know that I am leaving Pet Talk, and thank you".....

Anyway, I like the idea of making up your own mind about leaving and leaving with little fuss and then getting on with life. No need to take half of Pet Talk with you .... misery loves company!

Good topic.

:eek:

anna_66
01-18-2004, 07:57 AM
I would just post less and fade away, which hopefully will never happen since I've recently learned to use the ignore feature:D

cloverfdx
01-18-2004, 08:23 AM
I would just post less and slowly fade out of PT.

As for the ignore feature i am off to check it out now. ;)

Pam
01-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
HA HA HA Then I'd just post how useless pet owners are and that I wasn't coming back and did anyone want my cats..........HA HA HA

Jen, the sun and the moon would fall out of the sky before that could ever happen! :D

carole
01-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Twisterdog whilst I respect your opinion, I have to strongly disagree here, maybe some people do post I am leaving......to gain attention, no denying that, but as I mentioned for me if I chose to leave,(it would depend on the reason) I would feel it necessary to post as to me its just plain good manners, however I would not make it a dramatic thread, or be looking for attention, if you knew me, you would understand I hate attention, so in my particular case it would be because I consider it only good manners, I think its a little harsh to assume everyone who posts a leaving thread is doing so to gain attention and to get posts back saying please donot leave., we love you etc, personally I am well loved by my family, Pt is important to me , but only a small part of my life, and its always nice to know one is appreciated , sure, but I would not post just to achieve that, just wanted to clarify that ok:)

P.S You know there may well be a small minority of people on PT, who donot have real love in their lives, or family or friends, and this is their special place where they can get that, so if posting a thread I am leaving is for pure attention and to receive messages back saying we love you please don't leave, then so be it, I for one can personally bear it, and if me offering just a kind word in return can make that person feel good, then I would be more than happy to do so.:)

RICHARD
01-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Now, I MUST leave PT right now. See, I ate 1/2 bag of cheetos, and if I don't go to the gym, I am afraid I might die of orange food coloring overdose.

A man shows up at his doctor's office with a complaint about having his nether regions turning orange...

The doc does a complete check up and cannot find the cause....

Thinking that the orange hue may be the result of being exposed to chemicals in and around the gent's job the doc asks the patient what kind of work he does.....

"None", the man answers.....

THe doc, puzzled as all get out, asks him what he does all day.

"Oh, I sit around, eat Cheetos and read Playboy......"

I like Guacamole Doritos.:eek:

Cincy'sMom
01-18-2004, 01:41 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by RICHARD
A man shows up at his doctor's office with a complaint about having his nether regions turning orange...

The doc does a complete check up and cannot find the cause....

Thinking that the orange hue may be the result of being exposed to chemicals in and around the gent's job the doc asks the patient what kind of work he does.....

"None", the man answers.....

THe doc, puzzled as all get out, asks him what he does all day.

"Oh, I sit around, eat Cheetos and read Playboy......"

I like Guacamole Doritos.:eek:

That joke was the first thing I thought of too!!!!

wolfsoul
01-18-2004, 02:11 PM
If I ever did leave, it would be quietly. I'd tell the people who I talk to most often. I'd PM Karen and tell her what's bothering me...

And the last time I did that, Karen talked me out of leaving! ;) Hehe.

And then I'd secretly hope for a thread asking me to come back because everyone misses me. :) :o

trayi52
01-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Jordan, you would most definitely get it too! I for one and I know I speak for everybody else, would be begging and pleading for you to come back!!

There are just too many good members here to lose, and I think we are a selfish bunch, we don't want to lose ANYBODY!! At least I know I'm selfish...

Willie

clara4457
01-18-2004, 02:39 PM
I have been visiting and posting on bulletin boards since the old DOS days. (Some of you may remember that time :o - no pictures, no vb codes, all text posts). I have left many of those bulletin boards over the years. Sometimes it is just a matter of interests changing, but sometimes it is because they become almost painful to visit due to trolls, or flaming posts, or something of that nature. I have never posted a goodbye thread, I just quietly posted less and less and then never posted again.

That being said - I really can't imagine leaving PT entirely. I might have to take a break due to a heavy work load, a busy time at the shelter or a personal issue - but I think I would always come back. Mainly because Karen and Paul do an excellent job of moderating this board. They allow people to express their opinions and differences, but maintain the family atmosphere of this board and do not allow things to get out of hand. Another reason I would probably never leave entirely is because my interest in my animals is never going to go away. Through the years it has just gotten more important to me.

If I did leave, it would definitely be quietly - and since I am not as much of a regular poster as some people here, my absence would probably not illicit a "where is she" thread. That is not a play for attention - it is just that sometimes my life gets very busy and it is not unusual for me not to post for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. :) So leaving would not be a "close my account and remove myself", but rather a "don't have much time and something has to give".

There are people here that I would want to touch base with every once in a while, so I would leave my account open and check back periodically. :D

catnapper
01-18-2004, 02:48 PM
While I don't plan on leaving any time soon, I honestly think I would leave because my dear hubby has made me see that this has become a serous addiction and made me to go an internet support group or something. I'd post a hysterical letter about how mean and ruthless he is and how he only has the best intentions.... blah-blah-blah.

But since my hubby only rolls his eyes and says "oh, she's on her site again" I don't think this should be any real threat. I know I'm still relatively new here (I'm sooo jealous of those with 1,000 posts!) and haven't formed any strong friendship but I still get a real kick out of reading posts.

wolfsoul
01-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Jordan, you would most definitely get it too! I for one and I know I speak for everybody else, would be begging and pleading for you to come back!!

Aww thanks! :D :o I'd do the same for you!

jenluckenbach
01-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
(I'm sooo jealous of those with 1,000 posts!) .......
and haven't formed any strong friendship but I still get a real kick out of reading posts.
The trick is................BLAB!!!! :D

And 2nd, I'd be the FIRST to notice if you go missing! and I'll come to your house and kick your butt BACK ON the computer! :p :D

**MUST HAVE POUNCER AND ALLEN PICTURES**

Tonya
01-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Well, I'd get really angry. Say something really lame and that I'm never coming back. Then two hours later, I'd miss PT and come back with my tail between my legs like a total dork. :D

Cataholic
01-18-2004, 04:17 PM
In the olden days (Pre-love Cataholic) I would post a hateful thread, telling everyone how I couldn't stand them at all....make my own website, and ask everyone to join, then blast them when they did.....OH WAIT, that has already been done!

(falls off chairing laughing so hard, sees the plastic bags on the floor and remembers she must scoop poop before it gets too dark and leaves PT, momentarily)

trayi52
01-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes Cataholic, must remember to do it a little different! LMAO!

Cincy'sMom
01-18-2004, 04:30 PM

(falls off chairing laughing so hard, sees the plastic bags on the floor and remembers she must scoop poop before it gets too dark and leaves PT, momentarily)

LOL!! What a visual!!

Cataholic
01-18-2004, 04:35 PM
It is true what they say about big dogs, you know. :D

PayItForward
01-18-2004, 04:39 PM
In the olden days (Pre-love Cataholic) I would post a hateful thread, telling everyone how I couldn't stand them at all....make my own website, and ask everyone to join, then blast them when they did.....OH WAIT, that has already been done!

LOL :D

captain
01-18-2004, 04:56 PM
I would not be able to leave quietly........... because there are certain people on this board who have my home e-mail address (Miss Meow, DeliDog,) who would harrass me until I came back.

Well that is what happened when I took one weeks holiday ...............!!!

Seriously ............. taking a break and not telling anyone would be the way I manage it. I think I would miss all the pets too much to leave totally!

jenluckenbach
01-18-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm on the floor laughing with you on this one..............hee hee

gini
01-18-2004, 11:22 PM

You are soooo bad!:D

Twisterdog
01-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by carole
Twisterdog whilst I respect your opinion, I have to strongly disagree here, maybe some people do post I am leaving......to gain attention, no denying that, but as I mentioned for me if I chose to leave,(it would depend on the reason) I would feel it necessary to post as to me its just plain good manners, however I would not make it a dramatic thread, or be looking for attention, if you knew me, you would understand I hate attention, so in my particular case it would be because I consider it only good manners, I think its a little harsh to assume everyone who posts a leaving thread is doing so to gain attention and to get posts back saying please donot leave., we love you etc, personally I am well loved by my family, Pt is important to me , but only a small part of my life, and its always nice to know one is appreciated , sure, but I would not post just to achieve that, just wanted to clarify that ok:)

P.S You know there may well be a small minority of people on PT, who donot have real love in their lives, or family or friends, and this is their special place where they can get that, so if posting a thread I am leaving is for pure attention and to receive messages back saying we love you please don't leave, then so be it, I for one can personally bear it, and if me offering just a kind word in return can make that person feel good, then I would be more than happy to do so.:)

That's because you are nicer and more polite than I am. ;)

Seriously, I know what you're saying. I'm sure not ALL the "I'm leaving" posts are just to get attention. There's probably some sincere people out there somewhere ... maybe .... ;)

popcornbird
01-18-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't think I *know* how to leave PT! :o :o I mean..........I was gone for 3 weeks, and the first thing I did when I got home was run upstairs, turn on the comp, and check out PT! This was after 24 hours of travel! Am I crazy? Definitely! I didn't even take off my coat, or eat, or even get a drink of water! I didn't forget PT one bit! If I had to leave, I guess I would start posting lesser and lesser until I faded away, or post that I'm leaving if I had a genuine reason...............not that I plan on leaving at all. :o I don't know how! :D I'm STUCK!

Twisterdog
01-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Hey, welcome back, PCB! We missed you!

mahayana
01-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Hey everyone, I've been spending most of my time at another messageboard the last few weeks. Catching up here has been interesting.

I noticed that posts disappeared again last night, so some are deleting threads again. I'd suggest to Karen to not let people delete whole threads anymore, just replace their posts with a "this person has requested their post not be shown here" kind of thing.

That would preserve contributions by everyone. After all, does the initiator really "own" a discussion they start?

It's sad to see folks angry with one another. Everybody is special and revenge-seeking is bad form. The Lord said "do good to those who seek to harm you." Just a thought...

Sudilar
01-19-2004, 07:31 AM
I would just fade away into the sunset.....like I am doing now.....no one would notice.

amoore
01-19-2004, 10:25 AM
I don't think anyone would notice if I left either. But I would not delete my threads. That would be mean to people who posted on my threads.

gini
01-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Sudilar
I would just fade away into the sunset.....like I am doing now.....no one would notice.

I don't think so......................

trayi52
01-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Oh yeah Ann People would notice you being gone, they would miss all your sweet post! You always have nice things to say about everybody! I would miss your post soooo bad! So don't even think of fading into the sunset.

My god I have never heard you say a bad thing or anything out of line to the members on this board. We watch you like Chicken Hawks!!

Sudilar, you would also be missed, I look forward to your post and wonder where you are. You and amoore are very important here.

Mahayana, Where did you say you have been, don't have to tell me, I know how you like politics, you bad boy you!

Willie

aly
01-19-2004, 11:05 AM
SUE - I never ever want to see you go :( I noticed you don't post as much as you used to, but I still see an occasional post from you (which is why I wasn't worried). If I stopped seeing them alltogether, I would hunt you down and drag you back! There is no way it would ever be the same here without you and your gorgeous Shepherds!

Felicia's Mom
01-19-2004, 01:09 PM
I would leave PT if I couldn't use a computer. Now I have three: work, home, and library.

If I did leave, there are people who wouldn't notice. That is because I post under Cats or General 99% of the time.

catland
01-19-2004, 01:21 PM

Shows what a difference a year can make! Slick - I can't imagine Thursdays without you and Max and Speckles. :D

slick
01-19-2004, 01:47 PM
AWWWWWWW thanks Catland. That just gave me the warm and fuzzies......or maybe I just have to go to the bathroom :D :D

tatsxxx11
01-19-2004, 01:49 PM
I for one can't imagine Pet Talk without YOU, Sue, Killian and Shiloh!:( And I have noticed you were being awfully quiet lately. But, I also know you're very busy with some new ventures, your wonderful rescue work and of course, caring for precious Killi and Shiloh!:) Like you, I've been here going on 4 years. I was gone for almost two weeks over the holidays dealing with a serious family issue and for the first time in years, did not log on to Pet Talk once; not even to post on the D,C,POTD. Aside from my very close friends who knew I'd be away, only one Pet Talker pm'd me asking me if everything was ok:D That's ok. I don't belong to Pet Talk to be loved or "missed" when I'm gone but to share in the love others have for their furry ones. But were I to leave, it would definitely just go quietly and not make a fuss:D I guess I just had a trial run and it seemed not to make any big waves. Most of my closet PT friends have my email address and/or phone number anyway, so I guess I wouldn't be able to hide from them for long! (You knowwho you are!) If I were to leave, I'd proably PM Karen and a few very close friends to let them know I was taking a break and to pass along to anyone who inquired that all was well, just taking a nap! lol! And I'd definitely keep my acct. open and NOT delete any threads...(Don't worry Jonza and Fister...your posts are safe from my delete button!:D) Definitely, no high drama..it gives me a headache!

Logan
01-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Like Sandra, I rarely go away, totally. She's far better than I am at keeping up, for sure!!! And while she was away, I was emailing her constantly, poor thing!!! :o Talking to the wall, I guess, but better than not saying anything!!!! While I was away for 2-3 weeks over the holidays, I did have some special PM's too, which made me feel better about not showing my face here, but I would have come back anyway.

Sue, don't you think you have a break because no one has said anything. I would have found you, for sure, knowing that you hadn't been posting as much, lately.

Hugs to Killian and Shiloh, and to everyone's pets.

Logan

captain
01-19-2004, 03:39 PM

Nope - sorry ................ I AM NOTICING!!!!

Don't make me come over there Sue!!! :)

Sudilar
01-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Oh how terribly sweet, gini, Willie, aly, Sandra, Logan and Captain. I didn't think anyone would even notice my post about noone noticing!!!! LOL Thank you so much. I feel wanted again. I was beginning to think that since there has been so much going on with Killian's illnesses and my parents' dogs illnesses and tragedies that everyone was getting tired of hearing of it. I'm so very glad that I am wrong. :D

anna_66
01-19-2004, 07:03 PM
I must say I for one did miss everyone of you and noticed you absence. I guess I just figured it was the holidays (I didn't post as much either) and everyone was busy as I was. All of you would be terribly missed if you left and don't ever think you wouldn't!
And no Sue, I don't get tired of hearing it. I just think if you not posting anything...no news is good news:)

Cincy'sMom
01-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh how terribly sweet, gini, Willie, aly, Sandra, Logan and Captain. I didn't think anyone would even notice my post about noone noticing!!!! LOL Thank you so much. I feel wanted again. I was beginning to think that since there has been so much going on with Killian's illnesses and my parents' dogs illnesses and tragedies that everyone was getting tired of hearing of it. I'm so very glad that I am wrong. :D

Of course we don't get tired of hearing about the issues your family dogs have faced. What you have all been through and done for the dogs in your lives is amazing! I've cried at your loss and enjoyed eeing the new dogs brought into your lives. And of course, we never see enough of Killian and Shiloh. Hope they are doing well :)