PDA

View Full Version : smallest breed

gkristian
01-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what the samllest dog breed in the world was.

K9soul
01-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Chihuahua as far as I know :)

Moose
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
I saw this awhile ago....I don't know the exact name but I think it starts with an "A."

Karen
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Yup, the Chihuahua is the official smallest breed of dog, the Yorkie is the second smallest, though individuals of each breed can vary in size and weight.

Amber
01-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Hmm....I thought The world smallest dog was a yorkie? They showed it T.v. that he was the worlds smallest dog.

K9soul
01-16-2004, 05:28 PM
That one Yorkie might have been, like a world record or something? Like Karen said they do vary still in size from dog to dog, but I think the overall official smallest breed is chihuahua.

People breed "teacup" sized poodles/chihuahuas/yorkies etc as sort of a novelty, but I don't really agree with that personally. There can be increased behavioral and medical problems for them.

Cheldog
01-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Ya i saw that yorkie on Guiness World Records a while ago.

Cataholic
01-16-2004, 07:43 PM
WHAT? It isn't the St. Bernard? Someone better tell Binx, and quick!

DogLover9501
01-16-2004, 07:46 PM
:eek: The st.bernard definatly isnt the smallest dog!:o

trayi52
01-16-2004, 08:16 PM
I bet Binx thinks he/she, I'm sorry I don't remember if Binx is a male or female, is the smallest. Funny how the rather large dogs think they fit so perfectly in your lap!!

I seen a Yorkie that was so tiny, I think you could fit it into a teacup, but then I owned a Chihuahua that was that size too. The trouble these guys being so small is that they are so easy to get stepped on. My husband stepped on the tiny one I had, he didn't see it sleeping on its pillow and he stepped on its little head and killed it. That was years ago. No more tiny Chihuahuas for me. Ever!! Just nice normal size dogs for me!

Willie

K9soul
01-16-2004, 08:19 PM
My husband stepped on the tiny one I had, he didn't see it sleeping on its pillow and he stepped on its little head and killed it.

Oh how horrible!! :( :( :(

He must have felt awful! but I can see how it could happen with something so tiny. Just another reason I'd be really afraid to get a "teacup" anything.

Cataholic
01-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Binx is a boy, but, he doesn't care what you call him! He is sweet that way.

As for tripping over him, I still do, despite his size. He will lay on the kitchen floor, and I will step over him, thinking he will just lay there. Nope, halfway across him, he starts to get up. Kinda hard to span the distance, with my short legs, and his tall back.

aly
01-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Amber
Hmm....I thought The world smallest dog was a yorkie? They showed it T.v. that he was the worlds smallest dog.

I saw him on TV too!! He is SOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tikeyas_mom
01-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Oh how horrible!! :( :( :(

He must have felt awful! but I can see how it could happen with something so tiny. Just another reason I'd be really afraid to get a "teacup" anything.

i would be affriad of that too, i would also be affiraid that tikeya would think it was a hamster or somthing lol

trayi52
01-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Cataholic, I kinda know that feeling, except Dana the Rottweiler lies down in a very dark room, just stay very quite and guess what I do!! I trip over her. I think she has a life insurance policy out on my life and she is trying to collect on it!

Now stepping over a big dog like Binx, I can see where the phrase ' riding in on a St. Bernard' comes from now! LOL! Funny, funny sight!!;)

micki76
01-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
WHAT? It isn't the St. Bernard? Someone better tell Binx, and quick!

Why tell Binx? He's not a, shhh, dog.

trayi52
01-16-2004, 08:32 PM
No you will definitely not catch me getting a teacup anything again. My husband felt really awful about it. So that taught me a huge lesson about those tiny dogs. It is dangerous to have one like that especially if there is a lot of traffic in your house!:eek:

trayi52
01-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Oops! I forgot! Tell them all that I am so sorry for calling them a dog! They are children... Right?? A little on the hairy side but children!!