PDA

View Full Version : Just a little thing that I don't understand

jonza
01-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Well, we're a bit confused about a lot of things here in Denmark, but I wasn't sure what to make of this (from CNN). It's concerning the trial of Michael Jackson.
Suitable subject matter for the Dog House? :rolleyes:

SANTA MARIA, California (CNN) -- Pop superstar Michael Jackson pleaded not guilty Friday to child molestation charges after a judge scolded him for being late to his arraignment.

… blah blah blah etc.

… Security forces from the Nation of Islam stood guard to ensure the crowd did not get out of hand.

What's all this about???

Surely somebody must be able to explain that to me. :confused: I thought the police normally did this sort of thing.

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Actually,

If you look at the coverage you'll see that these gentlemen
have newspapers under their left arms....

They are employees of the Santa Barbara News-Press.

The person who sells the most new subscriptions gets a trip to Disneyland.
------

The Nation of Islam is a radical group that hide behind the teachings of Islam in order to get their message out.

Since the 'raid' on MJ's house they have offered to provide 'security' and have taken over Neverland in an effort to
protect the premises.

They are an opportunistic group that shows up when they smell blood in the water and free press...They have no security powers and most of the time sell bean pies to raise money...

Their 'leader' is Elijah Muhammad.......

catland
01-16-2004, 12:02 PM
ok, this one's going to get me in trouble....

like OJ Simpson, MJ seems to have been trying to live the "white" lifestyle for some time now.

In MJ's case it includes plastic surgery to look whiter and somehow managing to create very pale children.

However, once in serious trouble with the law, he opts to become "black" so that he can claim that he's being oppressed by the white establishment.

Either that, or the Nation of Islam knows a good publicity stunt when they see one.

Cinder & Smoke
01-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by jonza
Well, we're a bit confused
about a lot of things here in Denmark... :D

… Security forces from the Nation of Islam stood guard
to ensure the crowd did not get out of hand.

What's all this about???

:confused: I thought the police normally
did this sort of thing.

:D

Don't be confused, John...
It's CALIFORNIA!

And YES, the Local Police are Quite Capable of
handling MJ's "security"...

But as a "Pop *Star*" -
Mikey probably thinks he need something
"extra" and/or "special"... :rolleyes:

Here's what the AP said about how he *impressed* the Judge >>

"Superior Court Judge Rodney S. Melville scolded Jackson
for arriving 21 minutes late to his arraignment.

'Mr. Jackson, you have started out on the wrong foot here. ...
I want to advise you that I will not put up with that.
It's an insult to the court,' Melville said."

Way to Go, Mikey!! :rolleyes: :p

/s/ Phred

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by catland

However, once in serious trouble with the law, he opts to become "black" so that he can claim that he's being oppressed by the white establishment.

Either that, or the Nation of Islam knows a good publicity stunt when they see one.

lol,

it's like the Mike Tyson 'conversion' to Islam....

When things get bleak, turn to 'god'.....

Men, bent at the knee, always illicit a positive reaction.

C&S,

Have YOU ever tried to 'moon walk' thru a metal detector?

;):confused:

2kitties
01-16-2004, 12:31 PM

like OJ Simpson, MJ seems to have been trying to live the "white" lifestyle for some time now.

In MJ's case it includes plastic surgery to look whiter and somehow managing to create very pale children.

I think that is a very good point.

micki76
01-16-2004, 12:41 PM

Actually, our local radio station was talking about this yesterday. MJ is converting because of their power in the US prison system. It’s like a back up system for him. If he goes to jail (not likely) he’ll need all the help he can get, and they will protect him in there.

Logan
01-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Don't worry, Jonza, I'm right here in the good ole USA (opposite coast of Michael Jackson, though) and I don't understand it either! I do know that he "converted" to Islam, right after the charges were brought against him, but again, it seems to me to be some sort of "extreme" method of Islam. As far as I know, the scene you witnessed today (I saw it too) is not customary. Who knows???

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I'm right here in the good ole USA (opposite coast of Michael Jackson, though)

Still bitter they filmed "Baywatch" out here, eh?;)

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 01:57 PM
I think MJ would have done better joining this church.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-01-08-elvis-priestley_x.htm

No bean pies to sell.

Logan
01-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Still bitter they filmed "Baywatch" out here, eh?;)

Smart Alec!!!!!! :p

mugsy
01-16-2004, 06:12 PM
What bothers me is that he's from Indiana! :p :eek:

The Nation of Islam is an insult to the religion of Islam...they have nothing whatsoever in common....Malcolm X figured that out when he went on his pilgrimage to Mecca and look what happened to him!

MJ, is just looking for more attention for himself.

Jonza, we have plenty of police protection, he just wants to show off a little more.

dukedogsmom
01-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Who would have ever dreamed that he would turn out to be the freak he is today? He and OJ will probably be seen golfing in Miami. He won't do jail or anything else, probably. Money talks. And he's got plenty of it. I lost respect for him decades ago.

Pam
01-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Speaking of entering religion into the mix, here's a little something I heard Cynthia McFadden say on Good Morning America today. Apparently, according to the alleged victim, Michael Jackson referred to the wine that he gave him as "Jesus juice." Now I don't know how that will sit with all the jurors but I am personally offended, as I know other potential Christian jurors will be. What blasphemy to use wine in such a context. Jesus used wine the night before his crucifixion as a symbol for the blood that he would shed. MJ's reference makes me cringe since the use he had for it was as part of the seduction of a young person. Maybe he thought that by labeling it as such it made it "sweet" just like he said sharing milk and cookies in his bed was "sweet." I'm sorry this guy just gags me! GAG!

Corinna
01-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Did any one see the dateline interveiw of his nephews? Made me gag and the "Security " around his suv just like the president. Good thing that freak in in California He wouldn't last long her in Montana . I see a good old pork chop race.

Soledad
01-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Jackson dances on SUV after innocent plea

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Associated Press

Jan. 17, 2004 | SANTA MARIA, Calif. -- As Michael Jackson pleaded innocent in his first hearing on child molestation charges, the judge planned to keep a tight rein on the singer and attorneys in the case.

But outside the courthouse, there was no containing the self-proclaimed King of Pop as he danced atop his SUV and invited a crush of fans to join him at his Neverland Ranch retreat.

Judge Rodney Melville immediately set a strict tone when he began the day's proceedings by scolding Jackson for being late to court -- and laid out rules he said he expected attorneys on both sides to follow. Jackson was about 20 minutes late after taking time to greet cheering fans.

"Mr. Jackson, you have started out on the wrong foot here," the judge said. "I want to advise you that I will not put up with that. It's an insult to the court."

The judge followed with a series of decisions designed to tame the players in a case that has already become an international media circus. He said he would order a gag order for the attorneys, and would refuse to unseal most of the court documents related to the Nov. 18 search of Neverland.

Meanwhile, some 3,000 people - fans and news media from as far away as Japan and Norway _ swarmed outside the courthouse in a scene more reminiscent of an awards show than a criminal proceeding.

There was no red carpet, but reporters and fans were held back by barricades on either side as he followed a long walkway in front of the courthouse. Jackson wore big sunglasses and a black ensemble highlighted by a white armband, a medallion and shoes that glittered.

His entourage included his father, Joe, mother, Katherine, brother Jermaine and sister Janet.

As he made his exit, the 45-year-old singer climbed atop the SUV that brought him to court, briefly abandoned the umbrella he carries to shield his face, and waved to the throng and danced.

As Jackson tried to leave town, fans surrounded his vehicle, reaching through windows as guards and police ran alongside, sometimes shoving people back to clear the path. Many of the fans had traveled from Southern California and Las Vegas in chartered buses and cars in a "Caravan of Love."

"This was spontaneous love," said attorney Benjamin Brafman, Jackson's new co-counsel. "This was not planned. I'm in the proceeding and I'm stunned."

Jackson was soon back at his Neverland Ranch, about 25 miles away, where fans flocked after receiving invitations distributed by supporters who appeared to be members of the Nation of Islam.

About 1,000 people, many of them families with little children, took him up on the invitation, forming a line of hundreds of cars on the two-lane country road outside. Rides were open to all, ice cream, popcorn and drinks were provided, and Jackson's family gathered in the house for a luncheon.

Jackson was charged last month with seven counts of lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 and two counts of giving the child an "intoxicating agent," reportedly wine, between Feb. 7 and March 10, 2003.

Asked how he pleaded, Jackson softly but firmly uttered the words "not guilty."

The judge scheduled a Feb. 13 session to set the date for a preliminary hearing, the proceeding used to determine whether there is enough evidence to hold Jackson for trial.

The gag order will be modeled on one issued in Stanislaus County for the high-profile murder trial of Scott Peterson, who is accused of killing his pregnant wife. Peterson is being defended by Mark Geragos, who is also Jackson's attorney.

An attorney for news organizations argued against the gag order and said there was clear legal precedent for unsealing the affidavit and search warrant, but the judge rejected the arguments.

RICHARD
01-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
I see a good old pork chop race.

Why not BEEF...

afraid of the Mad Cow?;)

Don Juan's mom
01-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I've been thinking this since Michael J. got busted, but just came up with this the other night:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p5c4ece272bd7ec884e05d68a7ee05b25/f9d2c6db.jpg

Also, I'll probably get in trouble for this, but here goes: My sister was watching an old Ed Sullivan show on the local PBS station with her daughter, then 4. Ed announced the Jackson Five, and my sister said to her daughter, "Look, there's Michael Jackson." The child replied, with all the authority a four-year-old can muster, "That's not Michael Jackson. That boy's black!"

Liz