PDA

View Full Version : Discount wine from Wal-Mart!

jonza
01-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Well, for a quick, cheap "bump", here's some news for all you wine lovers out there. (No I didn't mean you!) :D

BENTONVILLE, ARK (AP) Some Wal-Mart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item - Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with E J Gallo Winery of Modesto, Calif., to produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $2-5 range.
While wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Wal-Mart brand wine into their shopping carts, there is a market for cheap wine, said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I. She said:"The right name is important."
So, here we go:The top 12 suggested names for Wal-Mart Wine:

12. Chateau Traileur Parc
11. White Trashfindel
10. Big Red Gulp
9. Grape Expectations
8. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"
7. NASCARbernet*
6. Chef Boyardeaux
5. Peanut Noir
4. Chateau des Moines
3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
2. World Championship Riesling
and the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine ...
1. Nasti Spumante

And who says they don't know wine in Arkansas?

Barbara
01-16-2004, 09:45 AM
:D :D :D

dukedogsmom
01-16-2004, 09:48 AM
That is way too funny! Will give mad dog 20 20 a run for the money

amoore
01-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Too funny! :D :D

Cataholic
01-16-2004, 09:55 AM
John,
Where DO you find this stuff? I will foward this to my brother, who is a bit of a wine Connie Sewer...he he he...

I HATE Walmart...bring on the Target wine, and I will drink it!!!

Thanks for the laughs at the American Consumer's expense.

Karen
01-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Why why why why whyne?

Will they then start Wal*Mart branches of AA as well?

Who buys the cheapo stuff besides underage students and people who so need their wine as to not care what it tastes like?

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Hysterical!

I do not shop at Walmart for political reasons (that heavy sigh you hear is my husband saying "Does everything have to be political???) Anyway...they bring you those low low prices through abuse of their employees, vendors, and small town America.

I did go there once. I was out of town on business and called to a meeting in Miami. I needed a change of clothes. I bought pants, a blouse and a pair of rubber-soled shoes and flew to Miami. The next morning I dressed and went to the meeting. I noticed an odd odor. The man sitting next to me kept sniffing with a bad face.

My shoes...probably made by child labor paid pennies an hour, smelled like burnt rubber!

Oh....the embarrassment!!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
That is hilarious!!

I am a Target shopper anyway.

catland
01-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Too funny. Makes me wish I was underage again.:p

gini
01-16-2004, 10:40 AM
A year ago at Christmas time Trader Joe's brought out a wine for $2.00 a bottle. It is available in Chardonnay, Merlot and Cabernet. The name on the bottle is Charles Shaw.

It quickly became known as TWO BUCK CHUCK!

Cases of the stuff were flying out of Trader Joe's - and every Christmas party I attended were serving (smuggly) this wine.

I understand that Franzia Bros. were behind it. They had bought up a glut of grapes and produced these wines.

Jonza, great Walmart list.............

moosmom
01-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Who buys the cheapo stuff besides underage students and people who so need their wine as to not care what it tastes like?

Karen???? :eek:

I am SHOCKED!!! I like wine. I do not NEED wine. The wine I buy is Inglenook Emerald Riesling. It doesn't cost as much as some of the more expensive Rieslings, but it's taste is far better than it's price ($5.25/tax incl.)

I am not underage (by ANY stretch of the imagination). I thought you were beyond stereotyping. :rolleyes:

Sarah,

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart since leaving CT. I flatly refuse to shop at Target for political reasons as well. They refused to support the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall because they claimed it was not an organization "on their list of charitable organizations". I think I saw a link on PT regarding Target, but can't find it to post. Come to find out, Target is a FRENCH based company. Didn't they also refuse to support the US's position in Iraq???

Anyway, for whatever reasons (it really doesn't matter and I don't mean to offend anyone) I drink the inexpensive wine because I like the taste and can't find a better Riesling anywhere.

LOVE the names!!

Randi
01-16-2004, 11:04 AM
I've just opened a bottle of Pinot Griego. :) (Yes, it's fish again!) I had that in a restaurant with Sara, Barbara etc. in Germany. I really like it and it's reasonable priced - about 7 US dollars here.

As I sat down to write this, John caught Fister on his way to jump on the kitchen table - where the fish is. Fister wasn't quick enough. :D Anyway, he never liked salmon before - but of course, it's raw. :rolleyes:

gini
01-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Fister - my kind of guy - I don't like Salmon either. Mom keeps bringing it home - and I keep spelling T U N A for her and she just doesn't get it.

Let's rule out Alaska for this fishing trip - O.K.?

The Carribbean sounds great -

Rascal

amoore
01-16-2004, 11:25 AM
We buy the cheep wine because Mahayana likes it better. I'm more into the expensive brands . You don't have to be poor to enjoy the cheeper wines. He hardly ever drinks.

I have not seen the Walmart brand yet. Mahayana will go on buying his special cheep brand, he likes. So I don't think Walmart will make him change.:)

Karen
01-16-2004, 11:25 AM
oh, Donna, I did not mean you! Besides there's a big difference between $2 and $5.25! Yours is inexpensive, the other is cheapo! ;)

I do not drink wine, but I remember clearly the looks on the faces of folks who weren't already drunk trying their first sip of that "cheapest in the packy" wine, back when quantity was more important than quality! :eek:

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Walmart?

I go and 'pick' mine up......Hot off the vine.

http://www.aguadulcevineyards.com/com/intfc/p/adv2/cb/default.asp

I live a bit closer than the 50 minutes from Lost Angeles......

25, I drive fast.

Cataholic
01-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Price alone does not dictate the 'quality' of the wine, though, it does seem the lesser expensive stuff is a poorer quality. Plus, the lesser expensive stuff gives me a hangover....

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2004, 12:04 PM
I just received this photo sent back by Rover from Mars!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p7b8d6f4b5f09d98f270efc4519e16402/f9ed90d4.jpg

Randi
01-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Richard, you lucky guy!! I have to go all the way down to a supermarket to get a decent wine. They sometimes have a good offer on 6 or 12 bottles - and mind you, I don't have a car!! I use my bicycle (with a basket in front, and some "thingy" (whatever it's called) on the back too!! :eek: However, John will come down and carry it up for me. :)

Did any of you notice, that while you drink half a bottle of redwine, you drink a whole bottle of white in the same time!! .... I better not be posting much more today! :D

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Richard, you lucky guy!! I have to go all the way down to a supermarket to get a decent wine. They sometimes have a good offer on 6 or 12 bottles - and mind you, I don't have a car!! I use my bicycle (with a basket in front, and some "thingy" (whatever it's called) on the back too!! :eek: However, John will come down and carry it up for me. :)

In our supermarkets they have a cardboard carrier that holds
four or six bottles......you mix and match, but you get 10 percent off the purchase.....

You cannot use coupons though.......:(

Be careful, wear a helmet and think of all the money you save on
repairs, insurance, registration-----

:D

Randi
01-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Oh, but in some supermarkets, they've got reasonable cardboardbox wines (3 liters) they'll keep for "ages" - but in my case they never do! :D Honestly, some of them are really OK! It's the testing until you find the right one which are a pain in the B###! Been there, done that!!

Cheers!! :D

amoore
01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Funny Richard ! :D I love your humor!:D

lizbud
01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I just received this photo sent back by Rover from Mars!

Mars (https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wam/MsgAttachment?msgid=618&attachno=1&folder=INBOX&x=434725879)

They're advertising Earthlink Web Mail from Mars now ?:D

Wow, That was quick work by The Madison Avenue crowd,:D

lizbud
01-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Jonza,

Loved the top 10 list......Very funny.:)

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Better? I fixed it! :) :rolleyes:

jazzcat
01-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Okay, now my stomach hurts from laughing so hard. Since I'm from "The South" this really hits home. I know a lot of people who would feel uptown buying wine from WalMart. The names are hysterical!

Too Funny!!!!!!!!!!

I love the picture from Mars too!

Uabassoon
01-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Well I personally on my poor college student budget could see myself buying a few bottles of the #3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-16-2004, 02:06 PM
You guys are too funny! I love a good bottle of $5.00 white zinfidel - see, I don't even know how to spell it! ;) :rolleyes: :D

Gini, they just did a story on Two Buck Chuck on 20/20 or 60 minutes or one of those shows. It was kinda funny. They said it's just flying off the shelf at Trader Joes. They had some wine tasters taste test it, and the testers picked it over some more expensive wines - just on taste. They were all quite surprised to hear it's only $2.00 bucks a bottle - well, actually $1.99 a bottle. :D

I have some connie sewer friends that live in California, so I'm just going to have to forward this to them. :D

Great pic Sara, but I'm wondering where the McDonalds is?

Oh, and have you heard that Starbucks is opening their first overseas store. Where else but in Paris! I would have to question management's judgement on that one. :rolleyes: :D

moosmom
01-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Karen,

I knew you didn't mean me. But boy does THAT bring back memories!!! Remember Bali Hai?? Or Boone's Farm? Personally, I'd rather drink grain alcohol that that crap!

*hic* Can't have any wine tonight...gotta go to work. Not to mention study. *sigh* I wonder if Anatomy & Physiology would look different after a couple of glasses??

catland
01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Oh miss Edwina - think of all those small town Martians that are going to have to close down their businesses.

moos - can't forget Annie Green Springs or Thunderbird.;)

Sevens
01-16-2004, 02:57 PM
I am in complete agreement that just because a wine is cheaper doesn't mean it's bad....my fave is a local Virginia wine that is $8.75 a bottle.

:D I remember Boone's Farm...Strawberry Hill was my favorite!

Moosmom,

I saw that post you put about Target and veterans. I heard about that just yesterday.

It is an urban legend, please see the following link.

www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Target's cool, I love shopping there.

2kitties
01-16-2004, 03:01 PM
I get wine from a local spirits store owned by the nicest man. Boy, does this guy know his wines. He is so helpful. You can ask him any question, talk about what you like/don't like, what food you're serving, etc. And he will recommend a wine.

He has never sold me anything over $20 and says some of the best wines available are under $15. Even $10.

moosmom
01-16-2004, 03:06 PM
OMG!!

Thunderbird!! The last time I heard THAT, I was working on an ambulance in CT and we picked up a balkie (slang for "drunk") in an adult movie theater!!!

Sevens,

Thanks for the update!! I stand corrected. Should I correct my post or just leave it???

Cinder & Smoke
01-16-2004, 03:21 PM
How 'bout...

Cold Duck...

Blue Nun...

"Featured Beverages" :p at the Sporty Car Race Track
on Friday and Saturday nights... :rolleyes:

(MANY years ago...) ;)

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2004, 03:33 PM
I shudder. Next you will be recommending Sloe gin....:D :eek: :D

tatsxxx11
01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Yes, where DO you find these things Jonza!:D I'm with you Edwina's Secretary! These feet will never step foot in a Walmart's! Did you remember to mention the millions of dollars of uncompensated break, lunch/dinner time? Grrrr! I'm sorry, but I could almost smell the "burnt rubber" from here! ROFLOL!

Nasty Spumante???:D:D:D Sure, now! Where was WalMart back in my nursing schools days when Tango and Thunderbird were the choices of all descerning underaged imbibers? Ok, for really special celebrations, Lancers!

Randi, I love Pinot Grigio, with or without fish! :p Have you tried Pouilly Fusse? My favorite!

Sloe Gin Fizz....Now that's a trip down memory lane! And Harvey Wallbangers and Tequilla Sunrises!:D Phred, I puked my guts up )(my one and only time) on Cold Duck after my first big New Year's celebration, senior year in high school. Ewwwwwwwwww, I can't even type the name!

Cincy'sMom
01-16-2004, 03:44 PM
LOL!!

I think this would really sell well.. 7. NASCARbernet*

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Lancers.....there's one I forgot (thankfully!) Nice bottles, good candle holders....bad, bad wine!

Barbara
01-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Ha Pouilly Fuisse. Love that. Am I allowed to say that I love French wine. Since South African, Australian and Califronian is so fashionable here the French has come to a much better price quality relation than it used to have. (BTW: I love Californian and even Oregon wine but the best aren't exported.)

WalMart: we have a chain here called Schlecker. I never buy there for the same reasons you mentioned.

Doesn't this thread belong in the dog house?

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Have you tried Pouilly Fusse?

I was walking down Sunset Boulevard when a woman approached me and asked the same thing.

She wanted 50 dollars....:confused:

I kept walking....

catland
01-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Lancers.....there's one I forgot (thankfully!) Nice bottles, good candle holders....bad, bad wine!

When I was a kid I thought Lancer's was so cool... my mom liked to drink it. Later I realized that she just bought what ever was cheapest - kind of sad really.

Fortunately she got off the booze but it took a long time.

tatsxxx11
01-16-2004, 03:56 PM
I was walking down Sunset Boulevard when a woman approached me and asked the same thing.

She wanted 50 dollars....

I kept walking...."

Richard, somewhere's there's a cream pie with your name on it!:p You are baaaaaaaad!:D

RICHARD
01-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11

She wanted 50 dollars....

I kept walking...."

Richard, somewhere's there's a cream pie with your name on it!:p You are baaaaaaaad!:D

I wonder what she charged per glass......:confused:

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2004, 05:00 PM
At last! It is 5:00 pm. This thread has made me so thirsty.... I'm going to have a glass of Chateau Traileur Parc !

gini
01-16-2004, 05:19 PM

Oh, I had a set of those - a matched pair. And it was so "in" to have the candle wax all dripping down the sides......a testament to cheap candles as well.

I was soooo upscale tavern in those days......:D

slick
01-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Cheeeep wine??????

When are going to Miaaaaammmmmmiiii!!!!!!

Seriously folks, I don't drink wine but I remember years ago my Dad (RIP) used to buy these 4 litre jugs of Red Cherry Wine for about $5 and I think the sweetness code was about a 5. My Mom and Dad used to drink that stuff every night for dinner. I tried it once and almost threw up.

Now, my Mom has very expensive taste. Our bonding sessions at the liquor store usually has an hour as she strolls up and down the isles. :D Up here we can't just jump to the nearest 7-11 to buy booze.

Oh and the candle wax dripping down the bottle was an obsession for Mom when I was growing up. Soooo 60's!!!!

catland
01-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Gini - somehow I believe that you could do the upscale tavern look.

Slick - I was wondering when we'd see that kind of wine, but I always thought it went "I want a Mercedeeeeeeesssssss".

This whole thread reminds me of Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when he tells the waiter in a fancy restaurant that he wants some of that fresh wine.:p

Tonya
01-16-2004, 06:01 PM
I am so honored that my hometown will having something to do with Wal-Mart wine.

Miss Meow
01-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Ewwwwwwwww, who said spew-mante??? :D

jonza
01-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

Great pic Sara, but I'm wondering where the McDonalds is? :rolleyes: :D

HERE!

http://www.dagensfoto.dk/160104.jpg

lovemyshiba
01-17-2004, 10:27 AM
I love the top ten list!! The names had me laughing out loud!!!!

Is walmart really making wine though? I know the names were a joke, but is the whole thing??

We can only buy wine and liquor in Pennsylvania in liquor stores, and beer only at distrubutors or in bars, so our walmart most likely won't be selling it.

I hate walmart too--the only thing I even go there for is my prescriptions, and I'm in the process of changing those right now too!! I'm a target gal!!

delidog
01-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Speaking from a state that has a Wal-Mart every 5 miles....and the amount of alcohol consumed in the Good Ole' South...(Bubba)
This is Probably true....You Really think the names were a Joke?!?!?!?
I'm sure we'll be seeing Exactly Those Vintages on the shelves in Okeechobee!!!!
(Edwina,Nows' the time for the Gator Pic;) :) )

Vio&Juni
01-20-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by jonza
3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!

This is a good one!

Vio&Juni
01-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Even in Moldova, where people live with less money per month than normal people per day, there isn't wine that costs 2$ a bottle. Pay attention, we are a wine producing country. How cheap that wine is!

BTW, I've been told that our Cricova "Cabernet" of 1984 is one of the best. They also have the biggest underground cellar in the world.

Barbara
01-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Vio: I forgot: We recently had that wine you brought in September. It was excellent and we enjoyed it very much:)

I also agree: wine is a product that cannot be made cheap in big factories (if it is you usually taste it). I prefer to have a good product and the guys who make it and sell it can make a living out of it.