PDA

View Full Version : *Reminder* ~ Have you bought Fido's 2004 LICENSE yet ??

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2004, 07:15 PM
The Law might be different where you live;
but OHIO Folks need to purchase Fido's new 2004 License Tag
before the End of January to avoid paying the Late Fee...

Annual Dog LICENSE:

Also called "County" License or "Tags"...
Cataholic cited the Ohio Law that REQUIRES ALL Dogs Living in Ohio to be REGISTERED (Licensed) with the County Auditor (or Dog Warden) of the County where the dog resides.
The legal term the Law uses is "registration" - but when you "register" the dog you get a metal tag that most folks call their dog's "License".

Cinder & Smokey wear Mahoning County license tags; which make them "legal" in ANY county in Ohio; and most other states we might visit. In our County, those tags now cost :eek: $15 per dog each year - and our county gives no discount :mad: if they are spayed or neutered. A few counties do offer spay/neuter discounts on license fees.

The Application can often be filled out and the license paid for at some stores in the county; the Dog Warden's Office; and at the County Auditor. YOU need to check with your County for where you can obtain a license.

And NOTE: Most counties sell the licenses for the face value ONLY during December and January - any other month they say you're "LATE" buying it and most DOUBLE the price! :eek: OUR Dog Warden is a Nice Lady - she gave us Smokey's First Tag at regular price when I said I'd just adopted him (off the front porch). ;)

Folks who walk in and voluntarily buy a dog license in mid-year often get the regular price - the Wardens are just Happy that you bought it! The Penalty (double) price is usually charged to folks who had an UN-licensed dog that was picked up by Animal Control... they pay a hefty FINE; AND have to buy the license, too!

OUT of State (Dog lives OUTSIDE) of Ohio?

Ohio still demands that the dog BE LICENSED by the municipality, county or state where the dog lives.
A properly Licensed Out of State dog is welcome in Ohio!

The great advantage of having your dog properly Licensed and WEARING it's License TAG is ~ IF it wanders off and is *arrested* by Animal Control - they HAVE to search the license records for the Owner, attempt to contact the owner; and HAVE to hold the dog longer than if it had no license.

RABIES Shot / Vaccination:

Ohio STATE law doesn't require them;
but Most Ohio County HEALTH Departments DO require them for dogs living in their county. And without a current rabies vaccination - if Fido *bites* a human - Fido could wind up in quarnatine for up to 6 months - paid for by the owner!
The FIRST rabies shot is good for ONE year;
then the dog gets a Second (booster) that is good for Three years; and gets another booster every three years thereafter.
Agin - Fido MUST WEAR the rabies "tag" to be safe from immediate impound and quarantine if a *bite* happens.

NOTES:
The Laws in other States and Canada may be different...
Your VET should be able to tell you what is required where you live.

And - "some" Cities, Towns, and Villages require a License or Permit
IN Addition to what the State or County requires...
CHECK to see what is required where you live.

ANY Questions: ?? PM me at "Cinder & Smoke" or Post em here!

GoldenRetrLuver
01-15-2004, 07:18 PM
I don't *think* there's a law over here, that requires you to get a new license every year. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. But there is a law that if your dog doesn't have a license, you have to pay a fine. Mine both have licenses, name tags, Daisy has a microchip, and Molly is getting one soon, hopefully. :)

You can never be too safe! :p

Pam
01-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Yep! Got my renewal notice in the mail and they have been sporting their new tags for about a week now. Since Bella and Ripley are spayed/neutered it was only $8.00 per dog. Seems like I got off easy Phred. Want to come live in NJ? :) You must bring proof of rabies vaccination or tags won't be issued.

Kfamr
01-15-2004, 07:38 PM
We get ours when they get their yearly check-up. That's when it says they're due. Which is in August sometime normally. Either the vet gives us it or we have to send in for one

You don't have to renew them each year in Cali? Odd. I thought you had to in all states.. They're a different color each year, I guess so maybe it can easily be seen that they're renewed and not out of date.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
You don't have to renew them each year in Cali? Odd. I thought you had to in all states.. They're a different color each year, I guess so maybe it can easily be seen that they're renewed and not out of date.

Oops, I just asked my mom. :o We do have to get them renewed. Ours aren't colorful, they're just metal tags.

mugsy
01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
We only have to get city tags and we get them once a year, but ours aren't due until August. There is no state license in Indiana.

cali
01-15-2004, 07:51 PM
our dogs have tags they we just dont renew them, no one would know any different our citys new tags are designed to last the liftime, you just gotta pay a whole pile of money every year :rolleyes: here it costs around $30 to renew the licence on an intact dog, and the spay nueter discount reduces it to $15. all my dogs have ID tags and ear tatoos. however we dont have much of a problem as Ripley is the only one that goes anywhere, when the others get out of the yard its by accedent and they go nuts trying to get back in :p perky site at the gate in the driveway, shadow just goes to the naighbores house(they have no fence) and they let her back into our yard lol happy does not get out in the first place, you have to coax her out of the yard, misty acts like she will fly out the gate but when you open it just just jumps around inside and you gotta drag her out! lol Ripley goes visiting people and his tatoo gets him back here before we know he's gone, plus everyone knows he he belongs to by now lol

clara4457
01-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Interesting. In New York the municipalities set the price for the dog licenses (within a certain range specified by the state). Neutered or spayed dogs have one fee (mine is $7.50) and unneutered or unspayed dogs are $15.50 with the extra going to the state spay/neuter certificates that are supposed to be for animals adopted from shelters. Unfortunately many people that don't spay or neuter their dogs don't bother getting licenses either. They come due on the anniversary date of when you adopted them, so Leo is in August and Penny Lane is in May. All dogs in the state of New York must have a rabies vaccination to get licensed.

Cheshirekatt
01-15-2004, 07:58 PM
We're lucky enough to live in a town that does 'life time' licensing!

:)

joycenalex
01-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke [/i]
[Cinder & Smokey wear Mahoning County license tags; which make them "legal" in ANY county in Ohio; and most other states we might visit. In our County, those tags now cost :eek: $15 per dog each year - and our county gives no discount :mad: if they are spayed or neutered.
$15!!! wowsa! alex became legal again on 12/31/2003 for $7.50, he'sneutered. he wears the county dog tag, this year orange, his microchip tag and 2 id tags, one with my name, phone #, a warning about his epilepsy and reward for alexs' return. the second tag says the same thing, but has the vets' # on it.

binka_nugget
01-15-2004, 08:08 PM
There are by-laws here stating that we're required to license our dogs by the time they're 3 months old. Although, I'm sure a whole bunch of people don't get the licenses.

Wow, alot of you guys pay alot less than we do. If we pay by March 1st, it's $44 for an unaltered dog and $24 for an altered dog. After March 1st, it's $54 for an unaltered dog and $34 for an altered dog. :D Last year, we got Kaedyn's for 12 dollars cause it was almost the end of the year and since we already had to pay for adoption fees. Kai's was at a discounted price too. It was supposed to be $44 cause he wasn't neutered yet but they charged us $24 instead cause he was to be neutered a week later.

wolf_Q
01-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the reminder....I need to get that done! Last year I believe ours was around $8 if the dog is spayed/neutered...and you also have to have a current rabies shot. I just need to get down to the Police station before the end of January.

Cookiebaker
01-15-2004, 08:54 PM
In New Hampshire, we have until April 15 to get our dog license renewed. We have to take a current rabies certificate, and it is only $5 a year for spayed or neutered pets.

Twisterdog
01-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Wow, alot of you guys pay alot less than we do.

Keep in mind, we're quoting US $ prices, you are quoting Canadian. :)

I live outside of city limits, so we don't have a county license. OTOH, we also don't have a county leash law. :mad: I would GLADLY pay for licenses every year if it meant our county AC could enforce a leash law!

I think the city here charges somthing like $10 for unaltered, and $5 for altered, per year. Or maybe it's $15 and $7.50 now. Whatever it is, it is very much worth it, IMO, to pay licensing fees if it helps enforce responsible pet ownership and gives Animal Control more funds to use.

Cheshirekatt
01-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

I live outside of city limits, so we don't have a county license. OTOH, we also don't have a county leash law. :mad: I would GLADLY pay for licenses every year if it meant our county AC could enforce a leash law!

I wish our AC would control the off leash dogs here in my neighborhood.

We pay $20 for a lifetime license, and there is supposed to be a leash law here. It's gotten so bad that I can't even walk Buford anymore. :( Too many off-leash dogs and he's too unpredictable around strange dogs.

Cincy'sMom
01-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
In our County, those tags now cost :eek: $15 per dog each year - and our county gives no discount :mad: if they are spayed or neutered.

Only $15? That what our were last year...now they are $20!! And no discount here either!!

I mailed mine in Dec. 30, but haven't got them back yet...hope they get here soon!!!

Smilla
01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Done! $10/year where I live.

Logan
01-16-2004, 08:34 AM
There is no licensing requirement in SC. Sad, isn't it? I have always thought that if the requirment was more strict, then there would be a lot fewer homeless animals. I also wish for limits on the number of dogs people could have. I'd love for someone from the NE to weigh in about what is required of you. I understand it is much stricter in that part of the US.

dukedogsmom
01-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Ours just depends on when they last got their shots. Strange how it's different for different states.

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Here we're allowed to pay for three years at a time if your dog gets the three-year kind of rabies vaccine. Otherwise, you have to renew every year with the one-year shot. We do have reduced fees for dogs that are "altered."

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-16-2004, 10:25 AM
When we lived in GA and in AL we never had to register Drake. I am guessing the registration is only required by state. Here in Germany, I was told, that you only have to register your dog if he dangerous. Your dog is dangerous is he has bitten or attacked someone.

ramanth
01-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Michigan's Law/Ingham County:

Dog licenses are required for all dogs over five months of age and are available year round. Licenses are considered non-delinquent in the following circumstances:

Newly purchased or acquired dogs.
Those pups just attaining four months of age and licensed within 30 days.
Those dogs just becoming a Michigan resident.
Those owners renewing their dog's license prior to the end of the month of the current rabies vaccination on record.
New licenses must be purchased within thirty days in order to qualify.

Licensing Fees

Non-sterilized dogs
$20.00 or $2.00/mo if the vaccination anniversary is less than 9 months away.
Delinquent fee: $40.00

Sterilized dogs
$12.00 or $1.00/ mo if the vaccination anniversary is less than 11 months away.
Delinquent fee: $24.00

Certified Leader and support dogs
$0.00

3 Year Non-sterilized
$54.00
Delinquent fee: N/A

3 Year Sterilized
$30.00
Delinquent fee: N/A

Licenses expire at the end of the month in which the rabies vaccination was given. Check your license to determine the expiration year.

A current rabies vaccination certificate signed by a veterinarian is required to purchase a license and a recent 3 year vaccine is required for a 3 year license. A license cannot extend more than 30 days past the expiration of the vaccine.To obtain a $12.00 or $30.00 license you must submit proof that your dog is surgically sterilized. You can do this by presenting a Veterinarian's Certificate of Sterilization or swearing to the fact by affidavit at the Ingham County Animal Control Department Or Ingham County Treasurer's Office when purchasing your license.There is no pro-rated three year license and no refund for any unused portion. Licenses can be purchased at the Ingham County Treasurer or Animal Control Offices.

Kia recieved a 3 year rabies vaccination that expires in 2005, so she's good for 2004. :D

K9karen
01-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Used to be that in Pa, you'd have to send away to the closest Municipal Courthouse License Dept to where you lived. As of a few years ago, I was able to get it at my vet's office, beginning the 1st of every year. My neighbor told me that the township police came to her house to see if her dog was licensed. She hadn't put it on his collar yet but was able to show it to them. Needless to say, she put ot on immediately. It's $8 for a neutered/spayed dog. And a senior's discount of $2.00.
Phred....when ya moving to Pa??