PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog do vocal yawns?

K9soul
01-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Tommy is the most vocal yawner I've had to this point! Sometimes the vocalization is high pitched and sometimes a lower more gutteral noise. It seems to depend on his mood or what's going on at the time. If he's excited and yawns, it can be ridiculously loud and exaggerated, makes me laugh every time.

Tasha doesn't vocalize her yawns as often, but she does sometimes. Sometimes if she's excited or even just wanting attention, she yawns and it starts as just kind of a normal "yawn vocalization" but then turns into a short little howl at the end.

Both the pups are very unique in how the vocalize their yawns though. They can sound cute, or sad or grumpy or bored. Anyone else observe this?

DogLover9501
01-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Yes, Jasper yawns without a sound, but Piddle and Wiggles sound alot like Tommy, if they are playing or in a good mood, the yawn is a higher pitch, and a bit longer lol and if they are tired or sick its a whole different yawn.

Piddles yawns sometimes sound like cries, little yelps lol

And wiggles yawns sometimes sound like playfull growls, or something like that.

Cheldog
01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
whenever Chelsea yawns she snorts:rolleyes:

primabella
01-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Yep! :D

Tommy is the most vocal yawner I've had to this point! Sometimes the vocalization is high pitched and sometimes a lower more gutteral noise. It seems to depend on his mood or what's going on at the time. If he's excited and yawns, it can be ridiculously loud and exaggerated, makes me laugh every time.

Tasha doesn't vocalize her yawns as often, but she does sometimes. Sometimes if she's excited or even just wanting attention, she yawns and it starts as just kind of a normal "yawn vocalization" but then turns into a short little howl at the end.

Mickey is *exactly* the same way! And it cracks me up each time! :D

dukedogsmom
01-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Duke does that when he's excited. Sometimes he does it when he's about to go potty. So, it's called a potty yawn. It's kind of drawn out and sort of yawning,talking. It's cute.

mugsy
01-15-2004, 05:03 PM
DeeDee and Sophie both are vocal all the time, some of the others are just sometimes.

Smilla
01-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Lefty often yawns when he's excited, such as when we're getting ready to go for a walk. He'll make a vocalization then that sounds utterly ridiculous and exaggerated--more like a whine than a yawn, really. It makes me laugh too!

He yawns when he's nervous, too, but then he doesn't make a sound.

sabies
01-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Sadie has noisy yawns. I think she's trying to communicate something. Usually her sounds seem to be saying "pay attention to me".

GoldenRetrLuver
01-15-2004, 06:09 PM
YEP! :D
Daisy's a BIG vocal yawner. It's more like a whine, but at the end she does a little "grunt". It's adorable. :)

binka_nugget
01-15-2004, 06:13 PM
As a puppy, Kai used to have vocal yawns. It was SOOO cute. I remember on the way home from the breeder's, he was in my arms and did a vocal yawn. It was adorable. :D

Kaedyn doesn't make any sounds when he yawns but he grunts alot. If you squeeze him a bit when you hug him, he'll grunt. It's kind of a "oh..bugger off!" kind of grunt.

RubyMutt
01-15-2004, 08:09 PM
I *LOVE* Ruby's yawns! :D They always remind me of a basenji's yodel, lol. I don't know if that's some sub-conscience thing of mine since she's supposedly part basenji, but I always think of them when she yawns. It's so cute :)

wolf_Q
01-15-2004, 08:40 PM
My dogs don't usually have vocal whines...Reggie and Nebo are very *vocal* in other ways though. They both growl and grunt all the time!

Lady ALWAYS does the vocal yawn! It's really funny! She makes it as loud and drawn out as possible--especially if she's excited!

Moose
01-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Yes! Moose's yawns are hilarious...they are so loud. I should try getting it up on here, lol...they always make me laugh. :p

K9soul
01-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Isn't it funny? Some dogs are more quiet and others so dramatic!

I'm just sitting here imagining all the different vocalizations that go on. It's hilarious when a dog is yawning and it turns into this huge dramatic statement LOL :p

FizzGiggs_Mommy
01-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Yes all of my boys make noises when they yawn. Expecally FizzGigg he even goes to the extent of making his head vibrate left to right when he has a big one (LOL) Now my pug on the other hand always makes noises no matter what (LOL)

Christiansmommy
01-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Dale is a loud yawner, for sure!! Sometimes when he yawns, my 2 year old says, "Mommy Dale's crying"...b/c it is so loud and high pitched!! It is very exaggerated too...he sounds like an old man, sometimes :) We laugh at him, and when people are over, we have to explain what that strange noise was!! heheheh

anna_66
01-16-2004, 08:22 AM
They all have done it before but it's usually only when they are wanting something from me or Mark:p

ramanth
01-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Kia does! :) It's hard to describe it, but some of them can be very highpitched. :eek: :D

HoRsELUvR
01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Zoe has a kind of squeaky yawn.

katienoonan
01-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Lucy ALWAYS does that, its so funny.

Smilla
01-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Lefty whined and yawned dramatically (and loudly) all the way to the pet store this evening. When we got back in the car to go home, the entire inside smelled like a stinky dog mouth! :eek: