PDA

View Full Version : Monte, his wittle nails, and I need some lessons!

Cataholic
01-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Well, as some of you may know, I recently found myself begat with cat- a small impish, very NAWTEEKAT named Monte. As some of you also know, Monte will be my first non-declawed cat (you all may take a bow, pat yourself on the back, drink a toast, etc.).

The thing is, I need to know the whens and hows of it all. Monte is approx 5 months old. I already fondle his pawsies, pushing the nails out, and he is okay with it...as much as a flying bundle of bad blackness can be, anyhow.

How do I clip his nails? Just like I do Binx's? I know I need the little cat scissors, which I haven't bought yet. Do cats have quicks? Any way to do it better than others?

Should I do the glue on nails, instead? Do I clip the back nails? Help me!

RedHedd
01-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
How do I clip his nails? Just like I do Binx's? I know I need the little cat scissors, which I haven't bought yet. Do cats have quicks? Any way to do it better than others?

Should I do the glue on nails, instead? Do I clip the back nails? Help me!

Don't know how you do Binx's nails. The little cat scissors really do make the job easier. Yes, cats have quicks. If you look closely (I know it's close to impossible with a squirming armful of kitty fluff, but try) you can see the little pink quick - DO NOT CUT DOWN THAT FAR. It will bleed and hurt the cat and the cat will hurt you and hate you forever.

Any way to do it better than others? Yes, get a friend to help. Use the burrito wrap method or (my personal favorite) have them done professionally. Much less blood shed that way.

And, yes, the back nails get done too, which is impossible for me with Mishi.

I try to get them when they're relaxed and not grump. With my two it's one nail at a time; two if I'm lucky. Eventually I give up and take them in to have them done professionally for $14 per cat. Cheaper for me than ER bills :D

Edwina's Secretary
01-15-2004, 01:45 PM
We have always trimmed Edwina's back claws and now, with Eddie, all four. It is a two person job. I hold and Don cuts. We do it about once a month.

Eddie has this wonderful scratching thingie that T&P's mom gave to us with him (which we have repalced a few times.) He just loves it.

catland
01-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Since you're new to kitty claws, I'd recommend a visit to the vet where you can be instructed on the proper way to do his nails.:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Sara, I just noticed you added Eddie to your "name" section (whatever it's called where you have and Eddie too....) Do you have the unfreez program so you can put multiple pics in your avatar and they scroll through like a little slide show? If not, I've got the program and I could email it to you if you wanted to add Eddie to your avatar. It's a small file so emailing would be easy.

I guess it's definitely permanent now - he's made the "name thingy". ;) :D

Sorry Johanna, not to get side tracked, unfortunately I have no advice for you. T & P are both clawless in front since I am a reformed declawer like you ;) and I have never bothered to clip their back claws. Never even crossed my mind to do that, and I think it's much too late to start now.

I know there are others here who can give you great advice, so I'll leave it to them, but one thing that might help is if you had the vet do it the first time and show you how. He/she could do one paw and then watch while you do the other to make sure you're doing it correctly.

Good luck, and you know, we haven't seen near enough pics of that little rascal......;)

jenluckenbach
01-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Cat nails are similar to dog nails ecept you need to "push them out". you already know that.

They have quicks but they should be easy to see. Even my black cats have nails light enough in color to see the "pink" quick and the "white" nail.

Don't go ALL the way to the pink because there might be a tiny blood vessel (capillary) that you can not see.

Remember, you can always take more, but once it's off.....IT'S OFF!

Yes, do the back, but you might only need to do them every OTHER time.

Groomers are cheaper than vets AND they are both cheaper than hospital bills, so if it is too difficult to get him to hold still, spend the money. (cat bites are NASTY business.......trust me, I know)

Nomilynn
01-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I trim all four paws on my kitties, and the front ones do seem to need it more often. If your vet will do it, they may not even charge you for a "lesson" on trimming.. good luck with it! Hope he doesn't wiggle too much for ya! :eek: :D

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
:p

Says He who started Kat Klippin when Fred (RB :( ) and lil Boots were
both VERY TINY Kittens!

Five Months is not "too" late to start...

I used :eek: Brute Force to teach them both that
1) Klaw Klippin did NOT hurt *if* they just accepted that it
. . was GOING to Happen once a month...
2) Laying UPpy-side-down on my lap did NOT signify the world was ending..
3) and that *I* could hold on tight enough to one arm or leg
. . to prevent escape

I only had to "burrito wrap" Boots once or twice.
NOW he'll remain calm sitting half on / half off my lap,
with my free hand and elbow pinning him to my side,
while I do his "Fronts".
BACK Claws require him to lay ON my lap, belly *UP*.

As for the one or two "Klips" per session...
*I* use the All-At-ONE-Time method - once I have him -
he does NOT leave before they are ALL done!
Once I "start" - if he really *fusses*... I just HOLD ONTO him
and let him settle before continuing.
Monte WILL learn the drill -
try NOT to let him learn that a BIG FUSS will stop the Clip Job!

Another thought...
No matter HOW *quietly* I extract the Toe Choppers from the closit...
He KNOWS when I pick em up - :eek:
On Klip Nite; I just put them in my pocket (as he DASHES for the
"safety" of the tub/shower)...
Wait a hour; he thinks he *panicked* for nuttin;
then I scoop him up when he's not expecting it! :cool:

There IS something to be said for having an *expert* SHOW you
where to clip... Your White Coat shold be happy to demonstrate the
procedure during a regular visit - for FREE.
But I'd get Monte used to sitting STILL for the Klip Job even
if you only go through the motions a few times without
actually Klippin anything.

And as someone else said -
DON'T clip too short - you can always go back and Clip Again!

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
It is a two person job. I hold and Don cuts. We do it about once a month.

This is precisely what we do. And we nip off just the tips.

Felicia's Mom
01-15-2004, 03:33 PM
My advice is don't clip too far back; just clip the ends. I cut the quick the first time I did Felicia and she had never forgotten it. That happened over fourteen years ago.
I have take her to the vet to have her's done.

I clip Beau's claws. I hold him on my lap like a baby. This may not be the proper way, but it is the easiest for me.

Miss Meow
01-15-2004, 04:35 PM
We do little trims every couple of weeks. The front claws always need trimming, the back claws we can miss occasionally. We were using scissor-style clippers, but have been experimenting with the dog nail clippers with the guillotine action - they are quieter but I can't see as much of what I'm trying to trim.

Jasmine is good and we hold her like a baby to do them. Mini and Tabasco are given a trim while they're sleeping. I pet, snip, pet, snip, pet, snip! Pickles has decided that any contact with his feet is banned forever more so we let them go until we have to do them. I have to lock myself in the bathroom with him and do one nail every few minutes between hissy fits.

CatDad
01-15-2004, 04:58 PM
OK, I have nothing new to add I just agree with what every one else said.

I can't remember if Monte is an indoor only or an in/out kitty, either way I would get him something to scratch on.

Good luck with the trim, I am sure that you will do fine.:)

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2004, 05:00 PM
;)

Here's a GOOD article about the How To's of Klaw Klippin -
Including a good, detailed photo of WHERE to Klip >>>

cdhs.net - Trimming Your Cat's Nails (http://www.cdhs.net/trimming_cat_claws.htm)

This page was taken from the "SoftPaws" web site -
here's the SoftPaws site >>>
SoftPaws - How to Clip page (http://www.softpaws.com/article.html)

Side View - WHERE to Clip...
http://www.softpaws.com/images/Claw-trim-quick-1.jpg

Look at the SoftPaws page - they show two different
"styles" of clipper - the Scissors type (on the Right) are a
LOT easier to use than the "Dog Style" on the Left!

With the Scissors style - the cut is made Across the nail or
"from the side"; very natural while Kitty is on your lap.
The Dog Style is best positioned above or below the foot and nail -
difficult to do with Kitty sitting beside you or on your lap.

OK - you're all set...
Done yet?? :p :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
OK - you're all set...
Done yet?? :p :D

:D :D Tomorrow we'll get the tale of how she ended up with scratches up and down her arms, the house is trashed and Monte hiding in the closet for hours on end....with one claw done. :D

Just kidding, Johanna. I'm sure you'll do just fine, especially with the experience you have from that mini horse of yours. ;) :D

Cataholic
01-15-2004, 05:24 PM
First, I have to 'catch' Monte..since he is usually in overdrive most of the day. Hence his nickname- Monte Carlo SS...he he he..

AND, I looked. Monte's feet, as well as the rest of him are as black as the ace of spades, if not blacker. So, there will be no easy to see quick. I don't know if I will do the back wheels or not. I don't ever do my other guys back wheels....

I have to buy the tiny clippers....and make an appointment for Monte to see the v-e-t...for the big snip! I am also going to ask if they can modify him from a 8 cylinder to a 2 cylinder. My poor other cats are exhausted from him! :D

Thanks to all for the suggestions...I will keep you updated on the outcome- assuming all fingers are still attached.

catcrazylady
01-15-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm sure someone is going to tell me that I shouldn't do it this way BUT this is what we do. We use human nail clippers and just take off the sharp tips. I feel like I can see how far back I am a lot easier with those than I can with the real cat clippers. Maybe it's just because I'm inexperienced with using the real thing. http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

PayItForward
01-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Don't forget to trim the dew claws on the front paws at the side of the leg. :D

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2004, 05:44 PM
First, I have to 'catch' Monte...

... Monte's feet, as well as the rest of him
are as black as the ace of spades, if not blacker.

So, there will be no easy to see quick...

"Catch" him??

If he's like Boots - not too hard ~
Just *Look in the TUB*! :p

Black Nails??
Not really a big problem -
Look at the photo -

The part you CUT is much thinner - in the side profile and
in the "top view" - very much thinner.

As for the Rear Wheels -
Monte will keep them worn down to a certain extent;
but they can still be quite *sharp*.
Be careful trimming the Rear Tyres - easier to *quick* him :eek: + :mad:
back there.

Good Thinkin, PIF !
DEW Claws *must* be trimmed - or they will grow and curl into
poor Monte's legs!! :eek:

RedHedd
01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
LOL! I'm cracking up at this quote from the SoftPaws clipping instructions:

"If you accidentally clip into the quick, don't panic. The claw may bleed for a moment, but it Will usually stop very quickly. Soothe your cat by speaking softly to tier and stroking her head. If the bleeding hasn't stopped after a minute or so, touch a styptic pencil to the claw end or pat on styptic powder to help staunch the bleeding"

yeah, right ..... If you accidentally clip into the quick, you will be dead or the cat will very QUICKly be at the other end of the house! Don't panic? HAH! The claw may bleed for a moment and then YOU will bleed for many moments! :D

Touch a styptic pencil to the claw end? Yeah, right - have you ever used one of those things after cutting yourself shaving? Hurts, doesn't it! Imagine what a cat would do!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself as I've been there, done that (all except the styptic pencil on a cat) .... :rolleyes: :p and have scars to prove it

Cinder & Smoke
01-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
... couldn't help myself as
I've been there, done that :rolleyes: :p
and have scars to prove it!

:D

They did sorta *gloss over* the "what if" part! :p

What always *amazez* me is how -
with a Death Grip on ONE arm/leg...

One Lil Kat can be SOoooo Effective with the
OTHER THREE and a Full Set of TEETH!! :eek:

Most of my Klaw Wars Scars have healed over pretty well...

:rolleyes:

iloverat
01-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Briggs undergoes the humiliation of enduring a forced peticure every 2 - 3 weeks. She massages my neck daily, so if we don't keep her nails trimmed, I get an acupuncture session from the cat

Kyle and I use the 2 person approach. He holds and I clip, also using regular people style nail clippers. They were easier for me, too and seem to work just fine on Briggs. She loves to talk to us during this procedure. With each nail clipped, we get a kitty commentary. :rolleyes: Actually, Briggs is quite good about the whole thing. Good luck with little Monte.

I kept the tiny clippings from Briggs's first kitten peticure. They are in a special box along with one of her baby teeth and a whisker. Sorry --- just can't help myself. :D

Kitty_talker9203
01-15-2004, 06:21 PM
WEll there is a little pink part on the cats nails you would cut right in front of it. if you cut on the pink part of the cats nail then the cat is gonna mewo in pain:eek: other wise you could buy those caps that go on cats nails so you wouldnt get scratched. Or other wise if you are afraid of cutting your cats nails and are afraid you might hurt your kitty. You could call a grooming place and ask if they could cut your kittys nails. if you would not wanna cut your kittys nails or use the kitty caps. you could rub your cats paws and they would not scratch. But i would never declaw my kittys i think its to mean and i dont have to worry about the problem because my kittys dont claw.:p

Cataholic
01-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Uh, thanks everyone for the "help":eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-15-2004, 10:16 PM
First, I have to 'catch' Monte..since he is usually in overdrive most of the day. Hence his nickname- Monte Carlo SS...he he he..

AND, I looked. Monte's feet, as well as the rest of him are as black as the ace of spades, if not blacker. So, there will be no easy to see quick. I don't know if I will do the back wheels or not. I don't ever do my other guys back wheels....

I have to buy the tiny clippers....and make an appointment for Monte to see the v-e-t...for the big snip! I am also going to ask if they can modify him from a 8 cylinder to a 2 cylinder. My poor other cats are exhausted from him! :D

Thanks to all for the suggestions...I will keep you updated on the outcome- assuming all fingers are still attached.

Great description of your little guy. I think those are adjectives you used, right? ;) :D

Sounds like you might want to take him to the mechanic instead of the vet. ;) And funnier yet, that you want to downsize him in power. Don't you know the more horsepower the better...and you can never get enough horsepower? Guess you can tell I live with a car fanatic. ;) :D

Good luck, and between holding him and trying to clip his nails, if you could get a pic or two in there, that would be even better......
Johanna walks away muttering, shaking her head, rolling her eyes....:D

shais_mom
01-16-2004, 01:16 AM
I really don't have anything to add b/c I have only trimmed Kylie's nails once in the 2 years I have had her and then the last time she went to the groomer who did it for $2.
But I watched the groomer do it and she did it on the table and kind of covered Kylie's with her arms and like she was laying over top of her and held the 2 back feet and snip snip there they went. But Kylie is A LOT bigger then Monte and not as agile and little and fast. But then again I really wouldn't know b/c we HAVEN'T seen ANY PICTURES!!!!!!!!
Good Luck!!!
Remember where I work if You need an xray!! ;)

Vio&Juni
01-16-2004, 03:23 AM
I have never clipped Juni's claws. She's pretty good with them, she hardly scratches even by mistake.

Pichu, on the other hand, is very clumsy and he scratches us.

Barbara
01-16-2004, 06:34 AM
I have never clipped any claws. I had some very good laughs at this thread but I am sure I would not laugh after trying the clipping program.

Randi
01-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Sounds like you might want to take him to the mechanic instead of the vet. ;) And funnier yet, that you want to downsize him in power.

Good luck, and between holding him and trying to clip his nails, if you could get a pic or two in there, that would be even better......
Johanna walks away muttering, shaking her head, rolling her eyes....:D
Giggle, giggle ..... I can picture it!

Originally posted by Redhead
LOL! I'm cracking up at this quote from the SoftPaws clipping instructions:
Me too!! :D

We sure hope so!! ;) - And good luck!! :D

Fister has never had his nails clipped, but we have been discussing doing it. John says NO, but I'd like to see if it can be done. Only the front paws! It's a bit late to save our recliner - it's already shredded on one side, but when we get a new one ....

This is Fister's claws.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid32/p5d084dceaeb1e4bbd7e14ae5a182d4fe/fd41d5b5.jpg

Do you reckon we'll ever be able to clip them. :confused:

Vio&Juni
01-16-2004, 07:56 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid32/p5d084dceaeb1e4bbd7e14ae5a182d4fe/fd41d5b5.jpg

Remembering about John going to hospital because of Fister's claws, I wouldn't dare! But... you never know :) They are pretty impressive.

Cinder & Smoke
01-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Randi
... Fister has never had his nails clipped...
Do you reckon we'll ever be able to clip them. :confused:
They are pretty impressive.

Randi ~

YES! You can clip them...

And they ARE *impressive*! :eek:

But if you look closely, they remain "slender" from the base
(down at the "quick" near the toe & fur line);
all the way out to the sharp *tip*...

Cat nails don't seem to get "fat" or "thick" like a dog nail does
when it's not trimmed. The "quick" of a cat's nail doesn't seem
to "grow" out toward the tip.

You can safely cut a LOT of that "curved" and thin part of his nail
without hurting him.

I've been know to forget (OK - neglect) to trim Boots for weeks at a time.
I either notice he's getting *stuck* when he claws at someting
(every ONCE in a while - his Scratching Post)
or he reaches out to *grab* something I'm trying to eat and
I spot :eek: Those KLAWZ!!

They have been as long as Fister's are in the photos...
and I trim them off to the point shown in the Nail Photos I posted
WITHOUT causing any pain or bleeding.

Da Kat actually does a lot BETTER with his nails trimmed -
he doesn't get "stuck" on the carpet nearly as much as he
does when they are "long".

Of course he can't *shred* the furniture quite as efficiently
for a while; but they ALWAYS grow back! :(

Barbara
01-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

You can safely cut a LOT of that "curved" and thin part of his nail
without hurting him.

Yeah but without hurting Randi -that's the question!

cutie_chica
01-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd

yeah, right ..... If you accidentally clip into the quick, you will be dead or the cat will very QUICKly be at the other end of the house! Don't panic? HAH! The claw may bleed for a moment and then YOU will bleed for many moments! :D

Oh goodness, Im still crying from laughing so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea, they may bleed for a moment but you will sure bleed for many moments lol!! :D :D :p :p