PDA

View Full Version : New Fish

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-14-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new fish for my small bowl. *1 Gallon*

Any good kinds of fish that can live on normal fish flakes, a bubbler and if needed weekly/daily tank cleanings? I'm thinking just a normal goldfish, but I'd need a small one that wouldn't grow considering I have a 1 gal. tank.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-14-2004, 08:57 PM
What about a betta? What do they eat?

Katy
01-15-2004, 02:07 PM
I don't think their are really any fish you can humanly keep in a bown that size. Advertized betta tanks are deceiving... If I were you, I'd just toss the bowl...

RubyMutt
01-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Katy
I don't think their are really any fish you can humanly keep in a bown that size. Advertized betta tanks are deceiving... If I were you, I'd just toss the bowl...

I used to keep a betta in a 1 gallon bowl :( I'm ashamed to admit it now. I eventually did toss the bowl and upgrade him to a bigger tank. I have to agree, that's the best idea, IMO. Many fish will LIVE in a one gallon bowl, but it's not guaranteed that they will be very happy.

Katy
01-16-2004, 02:03 PM
If in general, you want fish and just don't want to use a large tank, I think a trio of neons could live in a 5 gallon pretty well. I've got 4 in a 10 gallon, and they only use the bottom inch and a half. ^_^

Probebly NOT what you are looking for, but until they get big (and most die before they do) you could probebly keep a ghost shrimp or 2 in a 1-gallon bowl, correct me if I'm wrong. You'd just have to make sure there is a lot of gravel, so the floor space is near the widest diameter. Personally, I love watching Ghost shrimp. There is always the chance that they'll grow, but i've never had one grow even to an inch in length.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-16-2004, 04:06 PM
How's this? I think my dad is willing to buy the tank and I can buy the fish with my babysitting money.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=4258348761

Now, what kind of fish do you recommend? I've heard one INCH of fish PER gallon. What kinds of fish do you like?

Katy
01-16-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm very 'the bigger the better'. I think a 2-gallon is still too small. You can buy a 5-gallon with a lid for less then that, also. I'd try that. I know at Pet Supplied Plus around here, you can get a 5-gallon with a screen lid for 10 bucks.

I'm not sure how the fish scale works. An inch per gallon sounds good, but you have to remember that some fish are aggressive, some fish grow, some fish need to be able to roam, and even a fish can get bored if there is not enough room to explore.

If you ever do end up getting a tank set up, remember to give lots of things to make it interesting... Plants, those little novelty castles maybe... If you don't mind it looking a little unfashionable, toss a few PVC (or PCV? I'm not sure) tubes in there, my neons love those, and bottom feeders really do too.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-16-2004, 07:52 PM
I've got a 10 gallon right now with 3 fish and snails. I've had those for almost two years, and we've had fish my whole life. Eggroll was a fish I saved from the fair, and that was in August. I had him in the small 1 gallon tank, but recently moved him in with Tang and Crayola.

Anyway, I'll look back on the Petco website. I am on a tight budget, and I am looking for a tank that comes with accessories. I have a bubbler I can use, some rocks... Not many, but some, and a plant. I'll see what I can find.

I'm also looking for a desktop type thing....

RubyMutt
01-16-2004, 07:55 PM
One inch of fish per one gallon of water is a good rule of thumb to follow. Also keep in mind that *most* fish like to be kept in odd numbered schools. Another thing to remember is heat - tetras and other tropical fish need heaters and most small tanks do not come stocked with them. IMO, a single betta should live healthy and happily in that tank you posted (although, like katy said, bigger is always better).

Have you by chance looked at Wal Mart for fish tanks? That's where I bought my 10 gallon tank and I got a pretty good deal on it :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com this is very informative website. It lists many types of fish, their temperaments, what PH their water should be at, what temperature their water should be, etc. You can also buy fish there, but buying fish online just seems a little freaky to me! :eek:

Aspen and Misty
01-16-2004, 08:10 PM
You'll need a filter! :D

I got a 10 gallon aquirirum with filter and 3 filter pads, a bag of rocks and chlorine taker outer (LOL) for 20 bucks at wallmart in a pacage deal. It was awesome! In fact, so awesome we bought two! Hee hee!

I felt so bad for my betta, Bella. I kept her in one of those horrible glass har things. Her spin got all messed up and she became in active. After I bought that 10 gallon and moved her in there she was more active and was MUCH happier!!! It's the best thing I could have done for her. Sadly she passed away and now my tanks are ocupied with "Death row" gold fish, or more commenly known as feeder fish!

Ashley

tikeyas_mom
01-16-2004, 08:41 PM
i would suggest 2 gallons at least for each fish :). if you want a betta get a bigger tank. if you cant, then dont get a betta :).

get a feeder fishy :D

Fox-Gal
01-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Try Mollys, the can live in almost any type of water even salt water, so ph levals won't be that big of a problem. As long as it doesn't change on them. They are easy to care for, they can live in a tank with just air bubbles if thats what you decide to do. Just no lid on the tank.

One inch a gal. is good but don't judge that inch on the size you get them at allow for their growth. If you want more fish get some bubble/balloon mollys, they don't get that big so you can have more for your space. They are really cute with their bubble bodies.

I have a 2 gal desktop tank in my kitchen with mollys in it, with just a air stone and I had them for little over 2 years now, so I know they do fine.

As for Bettas they will do fine too, Bettas labyrinth allow the anabantoids to breathe oxygen to a certain degree, making the chances of them suffocating in oxygen poor water slim. Meaning that they can live without a filter or even air bubbles if thats what you decide to do. That is of course why you see so many Bettas in just bowls and sold in small cups (peronaly I hate that) at the pet store. You know when they are shipped to pet stores some have been in the same small bag for up to a week.

But if you do go with a betta and a filter in the tank don't get a power filter for them do under gravel. I added a link if you are interested in them so you can see whats the best way to go.
bettas (http://freshaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bettatalk.com%2F housing.htm)

RubyMutt
01-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
One inch a gal. is good but don't judge that inch on the size you get them at allow for their growth.

Thank you for pointing that out. I should've been a little more clear. One inch of FULL GROWN fish per gallon :)

veegan
01-17-2004, 12:50 AM
well, I mostly know about goldfish and from what youve described, I dont suggest getting one. they are big, and REALLY messy fish, and one goldfish needs at least 10 gallons, 20 being ideal, and of course, the bigger the better. not only will the fish be happier & healthier in more water, they will also have more room to grow (most goldfish are at least 6-8 inches at full size), AND the bigger the tank, the less often it needs to be cleaned! a 10 gallon needs to be cleaned every week or 2, a 30, every month, a 50 every 2-3 months, etc. overstocked tanks are a LOT of work, and if they arent kept clean the fish can get sick very easily. a lot of people think goldfish are easy fish, but they really arent. and I dont think most people realize that goldfish can actually live up to 10 years or more when cared for properly.

if you want a tank smaller than 10 gallons Id suggest a betta or, as others have suggested, some of the small tropical schooling fish. if you ask me, tanks/bowls smaller than 5 gallons shouldnt even be made. but thats just my opinion. I know some fish do fine in small spaces, I just think why not just add a few more gallons?? (although, I also think a 30 gallon tank is small. lol) there are some great 5 gallon tank setups that you can get at petsmart and petco that have a filter & light. (http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shopping/aquariums%5F%5F%5Fbowls/products/product%5F28003.shtml) a filter will make your life a LOT easier! less cleaning, plus if you have a power filter you dont need an air stone/bubble maker.

and as for how many fish per how many gallons, it all depends on what kind of fish!

petsmart's website is a great resource for fish care info and they have a section about fish breeds and how to care for each kind. Ive always found petsmart's website to have very accurate and reliable information.

veegan
01-17-2004, 01:08 AM
"i would suggest 2 gallons at least for each fish . if you want a betta get a bigger tank. if you cant, then dont get a betta .

get a feeder fishy"

well no, not per FISH, per inch maybe.. cause some fish can be just a couple inches long, and some are 1-2 feet long. you couldnt fit a full grown koi in 2 gallons of water! lol

as for bettas, they dont need huge tanks. 5 gallons is more than enough for 1 betta.

and I definately do not think youd want a feeder fish. not only are those risky because they are often very weak and carry disease (although 2 of my current fish, and 2 of my past, were feeders), more importantly, they are GOLDFISH. and like I said in my last post, goldfish are a lot of work.