PDA

View Full Version : Jan is under the weather.

catland
01-14-2004, 11:41 AM
I'll be taking Jan to the vet this afternoon because she isn't eating. I hope its just a little kitty cold or something simple like that. She's young (she'll be five in April) and otherwise in good health, no watery eyes, no apparent pain anywhere. Just real quiet and wants to find a warm place to sleep and be left alone.

Please think good thoughts for her. thanks.

slick
01-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Gee I hope it's nothing serious. Please keep us posted and you and Jan will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

PayItForward
01-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Sending {{{hugs}}} to you & Jan.

I hope the white coats get to the bottom of this.

jenluckenbach
01-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Hopefully Jan is just feeling a little under the weather. It sure os the time of year for that. Best of luck with the vet visit.

kimlovescats
01-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Prayers for Jan's visit to the vet! Please keep us updated!

(((HUGS)))

CatDad
01-14-2004, 08:02 PM
I sure hope that Jan is OK.

Prayer for a good visit and good news while you are there.

Let us know what they say.

{{{HUGS}}}} to you and some scratches for Jan.

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2004, 12:43 AM
I sure hope that Jan feels better soon and that it's nothing serious. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please keep us updated.

Vio&Juni
01-15-2004, 04:14 AM
Catland, this sounds sooooooooo familiar. Juni was doing this for a week. Starting Tuesday she got a little better. I bought her some food she likes very much, I petted her more than usual. I was also worried, Juni is so tiny, but she's getting better. I guess, it's some kind of winter depression. All she wanted was to stay on the radiator. She actually played last night. I was very happy today in the morning, when she ASKED for food :)

I hope Jan is healthy.

Julie Grove
01-15-2004, 07:03 AM
Love to Jan from Julie and Lucy. Hope everything goes well. Am keeping everything crossed.

catland
01-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Jan update -

First, thank-you everyone for your kind words and thoughts - they do help.

Jan went to the white coats yesterday. She was running a fever so they took some blood to do an analysis. I should get those results later today.

Oh, and when I first entered the vet's office I thought to myself - gee this place stinks. Its because Jan took that moment to relieve herself in her carrier. Good thing I had a nice big bath towel to soak it up.

In the meantime they gave her subcutaneous fluids since she was mildly dehydrated. They also force-fed her some A/D food since she hadn't eaten in two days. She's also getting some anti-biotics.

So this morning we had to force-feed her again because she still wasn't willing to eat on her own.. To do that they give you a big fat syringe that you fill with watered down cat food, shove it in her mouth, and start squirting away.:eek: We did manage to get more in her than on her, so I think she's doing ok there.

Now I just have to wait to hear back on the blood tests.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by catland
We did manage to get more in her than on her, so I think she's doing ok there.

Sorry, but this made me smile. :)

I'm sorry to hear she's still not willing to eat on her own though. :( Hopefully the blood tests will give some indication of what's wrong with the sweetie pie. I do know that if they have a fever or an infection they aren't very active and don't eat much, but the question is what's causing the fever or the infection.

We'll be thinking about you and Jan, and hoping whatever it is is easily treatable.

slick
01-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Poor Jan :( :( We're praying that the blood tests come back with something easily treated.

catland
01-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Jan update II -

She doesn't have any of the nasty stuff, FIV or Leukemia...

She is however showing a yellowish color in her blood serum which means that fatty liver disease is a concern right now so the action of force-feeding her is the correct one. Fortunately her liver enzymes look good. This is probably a secondary symptom of the original problem of having a fever and lack of appetite.

The vet is also prescribing an appetite stimulant pill so now we get to pill her, medicate her with the liguid antibiotics, and force feed her.:eek:

We could leave her at the Vets to be force-fed, but I think she'll be happier at home and the two of us can manage to do this.

Cataholic
01-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Oh, I hope Jan continues to improve! Force feeding can't be fun.

catland
01-15-2004, 03:28 PM
regarding forcefeeding can't be fun. to quote the army, it's not a job, its an adventure.

I think I need to train my husband on how to wrap a cat in a towel. This morning when we were feeding her, he had her in the towel and I was squirting the food in her mouth. However, she wasn't very wrapped up and could squirm around a lot.

Later, when I gave her the meds and I was all alone, I wrapped her good and tight and she protested a lot less.;)

I'll just need to make sure I have enough clean towels for the next few days.:rolleyes:

CatDad
01-15-2004, 04:36 PM
I am happy to her that they vet ruled out the really bad stuff for Jan. I hope the course that he has given you will help.

I just do not envy you. Hopefully the stimulants will work and then all you need to do is pill her.

I will keep Jan and the family in my prayers.

Please give us updates when you can.

catland
01-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Another update. My finger has a bandaid on it this morning from where I was bitten from trying to give Jan her medicine. We're still force-feeding her twice a day - its so much fun. Half the food gets in her, the other half is on her and my husband. He got his token finger bite from her last night.

She does NOT like her medication. She does this wierd drooly thing afterwards like she is trying to reject it so I don't know if it is helping. I think I"ll mix it in her food tonight to see if that works.

On the plus side, she is perkier. She actually groomed herself after the feeding this morning - first time she's done that, and she hissed at Joxer when he walked by her.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Glad to hear everything's going good. I know being bit is no fun, but it's a good sign that she's feeling better. Just getting food in her tummy has to be a good thing. Can't fight anything if you're not fed. :)

Keep up the good work and keep us updated. Hugs and smoochies to Jan - and I bet Joxer's happy to be hissed at again. :D

krazyaboutkatz
01-17-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you were bitten but glad to hear that she's doing a bit better. Force feeding a cat is no fun at all. I remember the times I had to force feed my RB Pepper and medicate him as well. Hopefully she'll begin to eat on her own soon and the meds will begin to make her feel better too. Please continue to keep us updated.

Julie Grove
01-17-2004, 03:56 AM
Hi, I'm very glad Jan hasn't got anything too horrid. From what I understand about Fatty Liver is that it is quite often a case of reminding cats how to eat again as it appears that they just 'forget'. Good luck with the force feeding. I have used Valerian Compound in the past to calm my cats. It is natural, a bit like rescue remedy only cats are supposedly meant to love it. Mmm... debatable! This may help to relax Jan beforehand. Please let us know how it goes.

catland
01-19-2004, 10:30 AM
another Jan update -

Well, she decided that she didn't want to go outside anymore to relieve herself and that the back bedroom floor would suffice. So I went to the store and got a box and litter and got her set up indoors. She seemed very pleased in the way that she controls us.

Then later that night, Joxer strolled by the room and decided to check it out and I realized he was headed for the litter box. Now I just got a little box because she's a littly kitty and once she's all better she's going to get retrained to go back outside again.

Anyway, Joxer must have known that I was going to attempt to stop him from using the box because he dug the fastest hole I've ever seen a cat dig and squatted in the box before I could stop him. :eek:

We were still having to force-feed Jan until last night - then she finally ate on her own.:D :D :D She's more energetic every day.

We're on the road to recovery.:D

Thank-you everyone for all your kind thought's and words of encouragement.

catcrazylady
01-19-2004, 10:59 AM
I do not get over here and check like I should!!!!! I'm so sorry and so glad to hear about Jan!! I hope it continues with Good news! I have never had to force feed a cat before but it can't be fun! I do not envy you. I hope that I came in late but just in time to hear about her recovery!!
Keep eating and improving Jan!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

krazyaboutkatz
01-19-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Jan has started eating on her own. This is wonderful news!!!