PDA

View Full Version : Me, a grandma????? OH NO!!!!

Logan
01-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Roger and Milly have been extremely "lovey dovey" lately, but the last thing I expected was an egg! Well, last night, we noticed that they had been tearing up the paper in one corner of the cage, and sure enough, Milly has laid an egg! :eek:

I have no nest for her, but she's sitting on that thing, and I simply don't know what to do! After almost two years of having them in the same cage, this has never happened. I guess there is no question as to whether Milly is a girl anymore! Some of you might remember when I adopted her, they told me her name was Willy and that she was a male. After reading up on males vs females, I was convinced that I had a Milly, not a Willy, and now I know for sure.

Where is Popcornbird when I need her?? What to do, bird people? We are not in a position to be breeders, but I do hate to take the egg away from her. Will she lose interest in it??

Help me if you can!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-14-2004, 07:53 AM
:eek: WOW...

I (of course) have no advice... but I am excited for you!!

Are you gonna keep the little baby bird? I think it will be REALLY cool to watch a little baby bird grow up on Pet Talk..

Popcornbird is gonna go nuts!!

Can you show us a picture of Milly sittin on her egg!?!?!:D

Logan
01-14-2004, 09:11 AM
I'll be glad to take a picture, Sara, when I can find the camera!!! On the advice of another bird person at another site, I tore up some tissue and placed both (yes, now there are two) eggs in a plastic dish so that they are off the floor of the cage, and safely nestled in soft tissue, rather than shredded newspaper. She is quite angry with me so I don't know if she'll go back down there or not. Roger is in the nest right now, tearing up the tissue, even more, but Milly has not sat back down on them. I don't have the heart to take them away, plus from what I understand, she'll just lay more if I do. If God wants them to have babies, I guess that is what we will allow to happen. :eek:

The eggs are so sweet, a very pale orange/pink color. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-14-2004, 09:43 AM
, I tore up some tissue and placed both (yes, now there are two) eggs in a plastic dish so that they are off the floor of the cage,

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!

Mommy Milly..... you better go sit on them eggs so we can see some BABY BIRDIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

DJFyrewolf36
01-14-2004, 10:25 AM
I know how you feel

Our Finches laid eggs for the first time last year...hatching three babies. they have since had SIX MORE! We adopted out four of them and kept 5 (two unfortuneatly didn't make it). Hopefully your birds will take care of thier babies better! I know handfeeding finches is a royal pain, and doesn't always work right. What kind of birds do you have? (Im relatively new here...)

wolfsoul
01-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Oooh, PCB is going to be mad when she finds out she missed this! :D

Maybe try finding a tiel board that could help? Or email a tiel breeder?

luckies4me
01-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Oooh, PCB is going to be mad when she finds out she missed this! :D

Who cares! :rolleyes: EDIT: I didn't read all of Wolfsoul's reply before I responded lol. I thought she was going to say PCB would be mad for her intentionally breeding her tiels. My bad. :o

I used to breed tiels. What advise do you need. Can you show me a pic of your cage set up? I wouldn't advise taking the egg away UNLESS you know there is no viable life in there. How to tell? Easy! If she can let you take the egg out, very gently hold it up to the light. If there is more than just yolk inside it's a viable egg and you should let her sit on it. Make sure she keeps it warm or the baby will die. Tiels make great parents, most of the time. They also tend to mate for life, for unless one of their babies ( expect more eggs) is a female or male I wouldn't seperate them and please don't. It can make them really depressed. I have fostered a lot of birds here for our Exotic Bird Rescue and the negative effects are just horrible, and I know first hand as we bred tiels for about 15 years.

Nest boxes (wooden ones) are fairly cheep and can be found at just about any pet store. Most cages have the option of attaching one to the outside or they are fairly easy to hang on the inside as well. If you need more advise on this let me know. We just got two new breeder tiels so are expecting babies in about 6 months. The girl is still too young now to breed. I would take the tissue paper out. Try to get some Aspen shavings. Don't use corn cob because they are very protective of their babies and since corn cob has a tendency to grow mold and fungus and birds poop a lot (especially when creating a nest and they "save" everything) I wouldn't suggest using that. Paper towels are also a good option and can be changed everyday. Something that Milly can snuggle into and helps keep the eggs warm are a good idea.

Just please don't take the eggs away, please. I would be really sad. Tiels bond SO storngly to their eggs and mate, and babies. Once the babies are born, in a few weeks, if you need any help on hand rearing in case anything should go wrong please let me know. I have years and years of experience handraising tiels. :)

Any questions I would be happy to answer.

luckies4me
01-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Logan
She is quite angry with me so I don't know if she'll go back down there or not. Roger is in the nest right now, tearing up the tissue, even more, but Milly has not sat back down on them. I don't have the heart to take them away, plus from what I understand, she'll just lay more if I do.

Both parents take active roles in the raising of the young. The male will feed the babies, but after they are born and about 6 weeks old you have to watch to make sure he does not pluck all their head feathers out, which is a sign of him trying to be dominant over any babies. If this happens you need to remove the male until they are weaned or hand raise them. But I wouldn't worry. We have only had two males who have done this. Roger should make a wonderful dad. Just try not to disturb them this much. He will feed them as well.

And no matter if you take the eggs out or not, she will always lay now. No matter what. Even if she has not mated.

Logan
01-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Cass. I have no intention of interfering with nature on this one, for sure. I just went to look for a nesting box, but the pet store where I got both of them didn't have one. She is not on the eggs, still, but I can tell she has moved them around again. Should have gotten the shavings when I was out! I'll do that tonight. Is she going to be upset that I keep touching the eggs? As you can tell, I am a novice at this!

By the way, for whomever asked (sorry I can't remember who), Roger and Milly are darling Cockatiels! :)

trayi52
01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
I raised some a long time ago, my mermory is so bad. I raised them and finches. Dern when you get old your memory just flys right out of the window! Cass don't the male even sit on the eggs too? or am I mixing them up with the finches?

I do remember with the finches I used to cut up knitting thread in the bottom of the cage and those little finches would work like crazy carrying it up to the nest.

I do seem to remembe nesting boxes for the cockateils, Whew! Amazing how you just sort of mix everything up! My advice, Dont' get old!

I think one of the birds that ann has is one that I raised. I am just not sure. I sure did give a lot of teils away back then. I think I supplied Wayne County with them.

The one I have now I got at a petstore and for awhile I thought it was a female but no, it wasn't little stinker of a boy!!

Ashamed men aren't like some of these birds, help sit on the eggs!

Tonya
01-14-2004, 02:15 PM
OOOOH! I am so excited! Pictures! How long does it take?! I want wait! I've never been involved in baby birds. We're all going to be Aunties and Uncles, right? :p

luckies4me
01-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks, Cass. I have no intention of interfering with nature on this one, for sure. I just went to look for a nesting box, but the pet store where I got both of them didn't have one. She is not on the eggs, still, but I can tell she has moved them around again. Should have gotten the shavings when I was out! I'll do that tonight. Is she going to be upset that I keep touching the eggs? As you can tell, I am a novice at this!

Some get upset, but most don't. This is her first time so she is probably going to be a bit protective. She, or they for that matter, will start putting their wings out and hissing, especially after the babies are born. They aren't cute babies, just to warn you lol. They are born totally bald and their crop is really the only thing interesting about them at that age. It just sort of sticks out. They are especially ugly when their pin feathers come in, but once their down (the first layer of feathers that keeps them warm) comes in they look a bit cuter. :p

One of our girls Pancha, would lay her eggs under our couch. That was HER couch lol, her nest. She would run out from under the couch as soon as anyone came near it, hissing at you. What a funny girl she was. :)

luckies4me
01-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Cass don't the male even sit on the eggs too? or am I mixing them up with the finches?

Yes they do. :) They do the feeding as well.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-14-2004, 02:24 PM
:D CONGRATULATIONS GRANNIE!!!
I can't stop grinning. I keep seeing an entire chorus line of baby Rogers and Millys all chirping ZIPPITY DOO DAH!! and wiggling their feathered bums. TOO CUTE!!!!:D

trayi52
01-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Your right Cass, those are some ugly babies. I always thought they look like little old hairless witches with the big ugly crooked nose.

I thought the men done half the work, amazing human men just walk around and pass out cigars!!

tatsxxx11
01-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Congratulations, Grandma!:D Sounds like you're getting lots of great advice! What fun this will be to "witness!" And what's Scott's take on being a Grandpa???;) Love to you Mama Milly and Papa Roger!:)

Logan
01-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Connie, I was waiting for your comment!! LOL!!!!!!!

I just bought a nesting box.......what a sucker I am. Hehehe!!!! :o

lovemyshiba
01-14-2004, 11:12 PM
What exciting news!!!!!
Little birdies--awwww!!!

I'm sure you will make a wonderful grandma to these birdies--and Roger and Millie will be wonderful parents!!!

I can't wait to see pictures!!!!

captain
01-15-2004, 12:01 AM
PCB sent me to this site when I got my birdie .......

http://www.birdsnways.com/

Congrats!!!

Heather Wallace
01-15-2004, 03:25 AM
Yes, Congratulations Logan!

Tweety_Pie
01-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Oh my, oh my! :eek:

I am waiting for a day like this with Tweety and Dexter:p...a couple times they have got "lovey dovey" so I seperated them for the night..and I have come home from school sometimes and I have caught them "in the act":o lol i am just waiting to come home to find an egg in there cage lol :p

Anywho,

CONGRATS! :D *cough*pictures*cough* lol;)

Logan
01-15-2004, 07:21 AM
I'm thinking that the Department of Social Services is going to come after Milly for being a bad mom. :eek: She is totally ignoring the two eggs. I doubt they would be viable at this point since she has chosen to be other places in the cage, than with them. I'm getting ready to start a major renovation in the cage and add a nesting box, just in case she lays more or decides to be attentive to the two she already has. We'll see!

Logan

Logan
01-16-2004, 07:17 AM
After the addition of the nesting box, yesterday morning, Milly and Roger were very curious. I did carefully place both eggs in there, but she totally ignored them. Last night, Roger started fighting over the food, so I got him out and put him in the other cage, where he is right now. Milly is in the nest, sitting on something. I don't know if she has laid another egg or not, but when I just looked in, she hissed at me, but didn't move. The size of the box makes it very hard to see down in there (it is huge). We did not choose to put the top on the box, but the sides are very high, and she has a hole that she can go in and out of, or she can climb out.

OK, bird people, do I try to put Roger back with her today? Or do I leave her alone? If she is sitting on the eggs, and perhaps a new one or two, doesn't she need him? Oh dear, this whole thing makes me so nervous!!!!! :eek: I'm going to keep it very quiet in here and not let the children spend time in the office this weekend, just in case, because I don't want Milly getting upset.

Cass? If you're out there, guide me here, please, about feeding needs, what to do with Roger, light exposure, etc.

lbaker
01-16-2004, 08:13 AM
I know nothing about birds but I do know you are surely doing everything you can to let nature do it's thing. Don't stress yourself out Logan... won't help Milly or any of your other "kids". From what I've read even if Milly can't figure it out this first time she will have another chance of being "Mom of the Year" :)

Logan
01-16-2004, 09:38 AM
I keep writing in hopes someone will answer. Thanks, Laurie! :)

Well, I decided to move Roger back in with her because he was calm, and she was "setting". She moved a little when I did that, and I see that there are now 3 eggs on top of the bedding. I'm left to wonder if those are 3 new eggs, or if she has dug out the two she buried yesterday and laid one more? No telling. She is out and eating right now, but I will watch closely to see if she goes back in. It is very quiet here, and I'm going to make sure it stays that way for my quiet, shy girl.

Funny enough, both Scott and I are quite excited at the prospects of feathered babies............

gini
01-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Oh Logan, I cannot help you one bit - but I sure am excited for you. Just like Laurie said it sure sounds as though you are doing all of the right things - especially the calm and quiet approach.

I have to laugh - wasn't it Scott who said NO MORE?? Little did you know that Milly and Roger had different ideas. It is exciting and I just loved Moff's idea of a chorus line of babies all singing Zippety Do Dah!

PCB is on her vacation isn't she? Does anyone know when she is due to return? She would want to be right in on this and what a help she could be.

DJFyrewolf36
01-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Ive got three female tiels and they lay egs like chickens at cirtian points of the year....I have no idea why either. At first we thought we had a male but...lo and behold our "male" laid eggs too! Ive read that sometimes tiels lay infirtile eggs but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? Are my birds abnormal? *like every other animal I have lol*
Good luck, I hope the feathered babies make it!
Keep posting updates!!!

Logan
01-16-2004, 10:54 AM
DJFyrewolf, I have read and read the past few days, and I think that Cockatiels definitely lay infertile eggs a lot, with no male interaction. We do know that we have a male and a female here, so there is a good chance that ours are fertilized.

She is diligently "sitting" now, so we'll see what happens!!!!! :D

luckies4me
01-16-2004, 11:08 AM
After the addition of the nesting box, yesterday morning, Milly and Roger were very curious. I did carefully place both eggs in there, but she totally ignored them. Last night, Roger started fighting over the food, so I got him out and put him in the other cage, where he is right now. Milly is in the nest, sitting on something. I don't know if she has laid another egg or not, but when I just looked in, she hissed at me, but didn't move. The size of the box makes it very hard to see down in there (it is huge). We did not choose to put the top on the box, but the sides are very high, and she has a hole that she can go in and out of, or she can climb out.

OK, bird people, do I try to put Roger back with her today? Or do I leave her alone? If she is sitting on the eggs, and perhaps a new one or two, doesn't she need him? Oh dear, this whole thing makes me so nervous!!!!! :eek: I'm going to keep it very quiet in here and not let the children spend time in the office this weekend, just in case, because I don't want Milly getting upset.

Cass? If you're out there, guide me here, please, about feeding needs, what to do with Roger, light exposure, etc.

You do not have to put him back if you don't want to. She can and will raise the babies herself, if they are indeed still fertile. If she lets you, when she is away take one of the eggs out and hold it up to the light. If there is something growing in the yolk then it's fertile, if not then it's not a viable egg, but others could be, and chances are if they mated they will be. It's good she is sitting on the eggs now. Give her time and don't rush them. It's their first time. ;)

Go to the store and get some breeding supplements for her so that whatever eggs she lays stay hard in the shell. You can give her some oyster shell which is a really good way to get some calcium into her. Maybe go get some Exact and offer that to her a couple times a day. I will check with my mom about what to offer her for foods during this time. Is she on pellets or seed? The eggs should be just fine inside the nest, but it would make her feel better if you could put the top on. Like I said, she eventually was going to hiss at you lol. ;) She'll keep doing this for awhile. If you don't want to put the top on at least for her sake cover it with a towel or something so she feels comfortable when being in there.

Just wait til you can hear the birds chirping inside the egg, BEFORE they are born. It's the coolest thing! :D

luckies4me
01-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Do you want my mothers phone number? She knows everything about tiels as she raised them for years, and just started breeding again after a few years off the scene. She would not mind if you called her, trust me. She loves talking about birds lol. :p

Oh yes, you can put him back with her. Their probably just stressed. Our birds fought over their food all the time anyways, so that's pretty normal :)

Ive got three female tiels and they lay egs like chickens at cirtian points of the year....I have no idea why either. At first we thought we had a male but...lo and behold our "male" laid eggs too! Ive read that sometimes tiels lay infirtile eggs but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? Are my birds abnormal? *like every other animal I have lol*

Female tiels do this all the time. All our females layed without mating. It's just something they do. But they still protect them with all their might, funny birds.
:rolleyes:

PCB is on her vacation isn't she? Does anyone know when she is due to return? She would want to be right in on this and what a help she could be.

How could she help with something she has no experience with? :confused:

lbaker
01-16-2004, 11:16 AM
In the title of this thread you said "OH NO!!!!" about the idea of being a gramma. Maybe it took little Milly a few days to get used to the idea of being a mommy ;)

luckies4me
01-16-2004, 11:24 AM
I forgot a few things I wanted to mention too. Do they have a cuttlebone? If they do, the oyster shells aren't neccessary. Just please make sure they have enough calcim. One of our latinos lost her life because her eggs were too soft, and she could not lay. The egg got stuck and did not come out in time even with the vets help. She died under anethesia to remove it. :(

She probably won't start incubating the eggs til now. They usually lay hrmm, about 2-10. The largest clutch we had though was 14! :eek: We always seems to have very good breeders lol. We only had problems once, with a baby who had club foot (sp?). In about two to three weeks you should have babies. They should both sit on the eggs though. If not don't worry about it.

When they get here, just ask whatever questions you want. I have been doing this for a long time. I wish I was expecting babies. My mom is expecting a clutch in a few months, lucky her! She's breeding for white faced tiels, and I really hope she gets at least one. The male is a white faced and the mother is a cinnamon pearl with beautiful markings. :)

luckies4me
01-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh and when you open the nest box talk to them before doing so. If you stressed them too much they can trample the eggs. What else? You are bringing back so many memories lol! :D

gini
01-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me

How could she help with something she has no experience with? :confused:

I am sorry, I must have been mistaken. I assumed that PCB did know a lot - only because Logan referred to her.

Cass - you sure have been giving Logan many good tips and information.

Logan
01-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I appreciate all the advice, Cass. I'm sure I will be asking for more as we go along! Thanks for being available.

I know PCB hasn't raised her own, but she does read up on Cockatiels a lot, and if nothing else, I know she will be interested and excited, as she is a HUGE Milly and Roger supporter!! :) Plus, I just miss her!!! :o

luckies4me
01-16-2004, 11:47 AM

I know PCB hasn't raised her own, but she does read up on Cockatiels a lot, and if nothing else, I know she will be interested and excited, as she is a HUGE Milly and Roger supporter!! :) Plus, I just miss her!!! :o

I understand. :)

Vermontcat
01-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Logan, I am so excited for you and your birdies expecting some new little ones!:)
I have no advice to give you about raising baby birds since I only have one single young birdie myself.
I know Popcornbird will be so excited when she comes back and reads this thread.
She will probably have some good links from her birdie forums that may help you.
Cass, you are always so helpful with so many different kinds of pets. I'm glad you could help out "Grandma" Logan.;)

popcornbird
01-18-2004, 08:53 PM
LOGAN! EGGS?!?!?! Milly laid eggs while I was away?!?!?! :eek::eek: Oh my! LOL! LOL!

I just got back today, just 3-4 hours ago, so I'm really not in my senses right now! I have so bad jetlag! I do read about cockatiels a lot, but I have never experienced egg laying or breeding, so I don't know what to tell you, other than I'm shocked! :o :o LOL! Did you candle the eggs? I think if you hold the eggs up to a light, you can see if they are fertile or not.

Logan, what are you going to do if you get baby tiels? ;) He he! NAWTEE Roger and Milly!

The best I can do for you is tell you to go to www.birdsnways.com, and click on tiel talk. Its a board full of tiel lovers, and there are many that are experienced with these issues there. I'm certain someone will be able to help you. Good luck!

*LabLoverKEB*
01-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Oooooh! Congratulations Logan! We have a bird, but he's a Parakeet, named Izzie! Sorry, I can't really help you, I don'y know much about birds, besides, Izzie is my sisters birdy! Good luck with those eggs! And Milly, take good care of the eggs, sweetie!:) ;)

micki76
01-18-2004, 10:26 PM
This is sooo exciting!!! Congrats, Ganny! :D

Logan
01-19-2004, 05:38 AM
By the way, she is sitting on 4 eggs now. We think there are six all total! :eek: But she's sitting very diligently and when she comes out, Roger goes in and sits on them. :) What a sweet pair!!! :)

Popcornbird, I'm actually not going to touch them, I don't think. If they hatch, they hatch. She gets so rattled by any noise or the cage opening that I refuse to upset her any more!! :)

CathyBogart
01-19-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but congratulations! :D

popcornbird
01-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Logan, any babies yet? ;) I have no idea how long it takes for tiel babies to hatch! If they hatch..........are you going to keep them? One big tiel family! LOL!!

Freckles
01-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Gestation period 19 days.:)

Logan
01-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Joan. I understand that they can hatch anywhere from 18 days on, PCB, so Joan's info is right on the money. Of course, I am scheduled to be in Sacramento, CA when 18 days is up, and my parents will be here with Helen! Just their luck!!! Of course, we are all so excited that I think that Mom and Dad are actually looking forward to it a little bit!! :)

OMG, they are so sweet, loving on those 4 eggs. :) Makes my heart melt to watch them. :)

Logan
01-20-2004, 12:56 PM
I just took a peek, and now Milly is sitting on 5 eggs that I can see!!!! We got another one today!!!! :)

Interesting thing I have noticed. Milly is obsessed with bathing. And there is no room for me to put a bowl for her in the cage and I haven't let her out since this started. She has taken to sitting in her water dish for her daily bath, instead. I'm just changing the water a little more than usual! :)

Tweety_Pie
01-20-2004, 04:33 PM
yay! another egg!:D

LOL Tweety always baths in her water bowl. She hates anything thing else.. but Dexter loves to take baths in EVERYTHING lol.

popcornbird
01-20-2004, 05:27 PM
I just took a peek, and now Milly is sitting on 5 eggs that I can see!!!! We got another one today!!!! :)

Interesting thing I have noticed. Milly is obsessed with bathing. And there is no room for me to put a bowl for her in the cage and I haven't let her out since this started. She has taken to sitting in her water dish for her daily bath, instead. I'm just changing the water a little more than usual! :)

You're going to Sacramento? I hope you don't miss the hatching! Logan, I read that birds like to stay wet when sitting on eggs, because those eggs need humidity, which Milly is trying to provide! Keep a bowl of water there for her so she can provide her eggs with the humidity they need!

Won't it be NEAT if your birdies get babies? I think they'll be the first tiel newborns on PT! :D It will be interesting to see what colors they turn out! I can't wait!!! You know I will demand pictures! :p

tikeyas_mom
01-22-2004, 02:17 PM
wow baby teils!!! when i had cheeko and homer they had mated so we thought they were going to have eggs. but they didnt. we put a nesting box in their cage and homer ripped it apart lol.

good luck with the little birdies!!

are you going to keep them?
I am excited for you. :D

Logan
01-22-2004, 03:14 PM
One thing is for sure.....we will certainly try to find homes for all of them, but those homes will have to pass my inspection, which could be tough! :o We know we have a home for one, at least, with a friend who has been waiting forever for a baby Cockatiel.

micki76
01-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
You know I will demand pictures! :p

Me too! :D

popcornbird
01-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Logan.............any updates? Any new eggs? Any babies getting ready to hatch? I'm getting impatient! :p How are Roger and Milly doing?

jenfer
01-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Congrats! heehee... Hope to see pictures of the expecting parents. :)

Logan
01-26-2004, 04:49 AM
She's still sitting on six. Thank goodness there are no more!!! LOL!!!!! :)

Just say a prayer that our power doesn't go out today. It is very, very cold, and very icy, with more expected. I would be a wreck if it went out, worrying that she and the eggs, and Roger, of course, were warm enough.

Nibbles
01-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Interesting thing I have noticed. Milly is obsessed with bathing. And there is no room for me to put a bowl for her in the cage and I haven't let her out since this started. She has taken to sitting in her water dish for her daily bath, instead. I'm just changing the water a little more than usual!

I used to have a bird bath that attached to the door opening of my finches cage. I could attach it and they could decide when it was bath time. I looked for poo and feaethers in the water and of course preening and I knew when to take it off. It didn't take up room in their house. It was large enough for at least a parakeet but I'm sure they make them large enough for other birds too. I wish I could have a baby birdie but I have my hans full with Nibbles.

lbaker
01-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Logan! Are you all OK with this ice storm? Is Milly staying warm enough? Do you still have heat? * oh fret fret *

gini
01-27-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
Logan! Are you all OK with this ice storm? Is Milly staying warm enough? Do you still have heat? * oh fret fret *

or power?

I hope everyone is safe and warm.

popcornbird
01-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by gini
or power?

I was wondering this too, because you haven't been online much lately, and I've been reading how icey it is in SC on the news right now. Hope you are all safe and warm, and that Mama and Papa birdie are doing well! Keep us updated!

Logan
01-29-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm fine, as are the Mom and Dad Cockatiels!! Milly is a diligent mom, for sure, and regardless of the circumstances, she is sitting on those eggs!! Thankfully, we did not lose power through the ice storm. And now, if we can just make it through the democrat's debate tonight (lots of media attention in our area), we should be fine!!!

Sorry to have worried you all, but with no school, and Scott being unable to go to work, I have not had much computer time!! :o I prefer to do my Pet Talk "talking" when no one is around and that hasn't happened for days now!

Helen went back to school today on a 2 hour delay, for the first time all week. And today is her 13th birthday!!! YIKES!!!!!

The only thing unusual, birdwise, is that Roger is singing some unusual tunes!!! He is making some new sounds!!!! :)

I'll keep you posted!

Logan

gini
01-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Logan, thanks for checking in and glad that all of you are alright.

Well, I guess when you are about to be a Daddy you kind of do have to "change your tune" don't you:D

momoffuzzyfaces
01-29-2004, 01:22 PM

The only thing unusual, birdwise, is that Roger is singing some unusual tunes!!! He is making some new sounds!!!! :)

I'll keep you posted!

Logan Maybe Roger is practicing some birdie lullabies!

Please wish Helen a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me!

Glad you are all safe and warm too!

popcornbird
01-30-2004, 12:27 AM

Roger's practicing new tunes that he's planning on teaching his babies when they hatch! What a proud daddy he's going to be!! :D

Logan, did Helen tell you that I talked to her on Yahoo Messenger today, when you left the computer? I told her to take lots of pics of the babies when they're born! Be sure to remind her! We need to witness the first PT *baby birdies* growth! :D He he! I can't wait till they hatch! I'm sure you're all getting excited, waiting for the new babies to come! Then you'll be *Mother of many and grandma of many too!* :D

Logan
01-30-2004, 05:00 AM
She did tell me, PCB! :) We'll try to get as many pictures as possible. I haven't taken any of the eggs, although I should at some point when Milly comes off of them to eat. I will try today.

Logan

Randi
01-30-2004, 08:27 AM
Logan, although I know nothing about birds, I have been following this thread. It's SO exiting, isn't it!! :)

I have a couisin, he has been "raising" parrotts and hand feeding them most of his life, but we're not in contact. Anyway, PCB and others can most likely give you some good advise. ;)

Good luck! :)

popcornbird
01-31-2004, 12:12 PM
She did tell me, PCB! :) We'll try to get as many pictures as possible. I haven't taken any of the eggs, although I should at some point when Milly comes off of them to eat. I will try today.

Logan

Did you get any? ;) I would love to see what cockatiel eggs look like! :D

When are you leaving for California, and how long will you be away from home? I sure hope you don't miss too much!

Logan
02-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Monday Update

As I prepare to leave on my trip (I'll be home late Friday night, PCB), it looks like Milly has decided to abandon her eggs, Roger too. :( Apparently this is not unusual for a first time mama, but it still makes me a bit sad. :(

I won't touch them and no one else will, either, until I get home and then can remove them if she is still not sitting on them. Things work out, strangely, sometimes, I guess.

Logan

lbaker
02-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Poor Milly, poor Roger, poor Logan.... :( We all know about things working "in mysterious ways" and perhaps this is one more example. I know nothing about birds but we just have to trust little Milly's instincts I guess. Have a safe trip and try to relax and not worry about this too much.
Laurie

popcornbird
02-03-2004, 02:03 AM
Oh dear. :( Maybe Milly knows something we don't know. Maybe those eggs aren't fertile at all and she knows that? :confused: I guess we should just trust the little feathered *mama's* instincts. Please keep us updated when you can! I'll be waiting for you Friday night!