PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Dusty stop slamming into the glass?!

Tonya
01-13-2004, 10:06 PM
It's only been a week since I started working on this bigtime. Since Pitc's Buddy (I think?) got hurt by breaking through glass.

I've always yelled "No!" and not let Dusty in when he slams on the glass. (He literally body slams it!) But now, I'm really trying to crack down on this habit. I thought I'd be brilliant by leaving a water bottle by the door. I intentionally walk close to it to make him excited and if he slams the door, I spray him. Also, I have not been letting himside until he is calm, and has sat and stayed for me.

Well, what's he do? He slams into the door, then backs away quickly over and over again. So all he is doing is avoiding the water. Then, when I open the door, he sits and stays a mile away from me.

WTH?! To smart for his britches. What should I do?

aly
01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
You can try booby trapping the door. The first thing that always comes to my mind is carpet runner because it works so well. If you turn it upside down with the little spikey things sticking up, it is uncomfortable to touch. Maybe you can try taping some to the glass and see if that makes his body slams stop?

Tonya
01-13-2004, 10:26 PM
I'll try that! But, on the same line, I couldn't keep Dusty out of the flower beds...So I created hills and layed the most uncomfortable rock I could find on them. It was a $1000 project. I said "He won't even want to walk in these now!!!" Guess where he sleeps? :rolleyes:

lovemyshiba
01-13-2004, 10:30 PM
lol at the rock sleeping--I'm sure one of mine would do the same thing!!!!

Buddy's injury got me scared too--Jada and Abbey both slam the door when they want out--and Jada does it when she wants to come in--Abbey's more ladylike, she just sits and waits patiently for me to let her in:)

I think I'll try the carpet runner too--good idea Aly!!

Kfamr
01-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Nala used to always jump on the glass when she wanted to go out, or come in.

I really think sit and stay are VERY important tricks for dogs to know. I tell her to sit through the glass when she's outside wanting to come in. If she doesn't, then she doesn't come in. Nor does she go out if she doesn't sit and stay.

I don't think you need to buy anything. Just some time and patience. :) Don't let him in or out unless he sit and stays. If he moves when you go to open the door, make him sit again. Do not let him move until you say it's "OK".
Do this EVERYtime you let him in or out.

Nala is much better now. She normally ends up sitting when I go to let her in.

DogLover9501
01-13-2004, 11:00 PM
I agree with Kay

I think just teaching him he has to sit and stay to be let in or out instead of making booby traps:confused:

After a while he will probably sit everytime he wants to come in or go out:)

aly
01-13-2004, 11:00 PM
You can also try putting the carpet runner in front of the door on the floor if taping it on the glass doesn't work. Then you could move it when you let them in or out.

aly
01-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
I agree with Kay

I think just teaching him he has to sit and stay to be let in or out instead of making booby traps:confused:

Hehe, I am just simply talking about carpet runner - not some hard core booby trap or anything. Of course the method KayAnn said is ideal, but if that doesn't work, there is no harm with a carpet runner. I recommend both ways to people in my dog manners classes and some people have success with one, while others have success with the other.

DogLover9501
01-13-2004, 11:17 PM
True, I guess both ways would stop him from slamming against the glass :D

lovemyshiba
01-13-2004, 11:17 PM
My dogs do know to sit and stay, but when 4 of them see the birdies in the yard, it makes the command a little tough!!!

Kfamr
01-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Nala and Simba both are nutso aobut squirelles and birds, but they sit and stay anyways, cause they know they can't chase them until they do. :p

lovemyshiba
01-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Nala and Simba both are nutso aobut squirelles and birds, but they sit and stay anyways, cause they know they can't chase them until they do. :p

Maybe you should fly up here and work with my dogs--give me a day off, and you can cuddle with Kito in the meantime!!!!

Kfamr
01-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Maybe you should fly up here and work with my dogs--give me a day off, and you can cuddle with Kito in the meantime!!!!

I'd love to!!! Especially the last part! :D :D

pitc9
01-14-2004, 06:13 AM
Tonya- Yeah it was Buddy that got hurt,

I was worried because after my hubby got the new glass in, he STILL PUT HIS PAWS ON THE GLASS!! Hello!!!

But he only did that for a day or two, I would come walk to the door to sneak up and see what he was doing, and here he was stading up on his back legs trying to look into the window without touching the glass!!!

He looks like he's dancing to come inside!!! :D

I'm just glad he learned his lesson and is going to be fine!

Tonya
01-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad Buddy learned his lesson, Pitc. I'll just be patient. I know in the long run, sit and stay will work. -But with the luck I've had lately, after a few years of doing this, he's going to come crashing through the window this week. lol.

He pretty much just goes in and out 3 times a day. -Out in the morning and in when I get home from work, then out for the bathroom before bed. This weekend, I'm going to let him in and out all day long and work with him.

Roxy is such a sensitive girl. The first time I caught her doing that I said a stern "No!". She cowered around me for 3 days like I'd beaten her and hasn't done it since. The poor thing even gets devastated when I scold Dusty. -And I don't even raise my voice!

Tonya
01-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad Buddy learned his lesson, Pitc. I'll just be patient. I know in the long run, sit and stay will work. -But with the luck I've had lately, after a few years of doing this, he's going to come crashing through the window this week. lol.

He pretty much just goes in and out 3 times a day. -Out in the morning and in when I get home from work, then out for the bathroom before bed. This weekend, I'm going to let him in and out all day long and work with him.

Roxy is such a sensitive girl. The first time I caught her doing that I said a stern "No!". She cowered around me for 3 days like I'd beaten her and hasn't done it since. The poor thing even gets devastated when I scold Dusty. -And I don't even raise my voice!