PDA

View Full Version : What a scare!!!!!!! Still shaky!

Pam
01-13-2004, 06:48 PM
I was just eating dinner and the dogs asked to go out so I let them. About 5 min. later Ripley is barking his head off and appears at the sliding door so I let him in. I called to Bella and she didn't come and I figured that she was probably just around the side of the house and couldn't hear me as this has happened before. Well I sat back down to eat and maybe 10 min. went by. Now I am getting a little concerned about why she hasn't come to the door. I went out back and the gate on the side of the house had been opened! (It is always latched closed but there is a way to lock it but we never bother). My heart totally stopped and then Thank God I saw Bella standing in my neighbor's driveway looking confused. I called her and said her favorite words "doggie biscuit" and she came running! I haven't stopped hugging her and telling her what a good girl she is!

When I think what could have happened.......:eek: She had 10 minutes to go God knows where! First of all, she wasn't wearing her collar!! She was at the groomer's today and I took it off when she came home. Also, Ripley wasn't wearing his collar this evening because I groomed him this afternoon and took his off also. I am still totally amazed that she and Ripley didn't take off somewhere. A couple of weeks after we got Ripley he trotted right out my front door and we had a heck of a time getting him! (it meant a ride through the neighborhood! :eek: ) Looking back now I am sure that whoever opened the gate is the reason why Ripley was barking. Thank God he ran to the door instead of taking off. Anyway, I say all of this to just reinforce the need to keep collars on. I sure learned my lesson! And the gate is now LOCKED!

I am still half-shaking but ever so grateful that I have my pupsters here right beside me now!!! I have learned something from all of this and that is to never take their collars off unless I am not home. (I usually have them off when I am at work because once before two of my RB poodles were playing and the smaller one's jaw caught on the larger ones collar and she was literally hanging from it! So, when no one is home they can have collars off but at no other time!

Dogz
01-13-2004, 06:54 PM
What a scare!:eek:

I am glad that Bella and Ripley are safely back at home!

Cincy'sMom
01-13-2004, 07:25 PM
How scary!!! But what good pups for not running off!!!

Last fall I was outside with the dogs, and then came in to do the dishes. I had not been inside for 5 minutes when the phone rang, and a neighbor said she had Spot and he was running around with 2 black dogs :eek: I ran outside to find I had not latched the gate right and all three has gotten out. Then ran down to the end of the street (never crossed any) and by the time I got out front, they were all back in our yard! Scared me to death!!! ( and I still don't know why the neighbor let Spot go, since she had him to get out # off his collar!)

aly
01-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Maybe Ripley was barking to let you know that Bella left.

I am SO GLAD you have your babies and they stayed close to home. GOOD PUPPIES!!!! I can imagine how freaked out you are. I would be beside myself too!

I just love the pic of the precious poodles in your sig :D :D

gini
01-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Pam, boy that is a scare! But it sounds as though you have a fine young man in Ripley who came immediately to tell you there was a problem!

Also, Bella was a good girl to come immediately to you when you called her.

But, my heart would be pounding too. Darn, we put everything into these guys and always want them to be safe.

binka_nugget
01-13-2004, 07:43 PM
WOW! What a scare! I'm glad they're home safe and sound now.

I'd be a wreck if Kai or Kaedyn ever got out. We live a couple houses away from a very busy road...buses, trucks, and cars all drive around here. I'd hate to think what would happen if they got out one day.

petlover
01-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Pam, be so grateful that Bella is back in your arms.Just do something ok?

Please thank God that she is ok. PLEASE say thank you. Because I know that he was watching after your Bella.. he just talked to you through Ripley.:)

anna_66
01-13-2004, 08:07 PM
What good pups they were not running off like that, expecially knowing that Bella had an extra 10 minutes:eek:
If I were you I'd be hugging them like crazy too!

I'm glad that they are both fine, now make sure you lock that gate;)

countrycowgirl
01-13-2004, 08:32 PM
wow thats scary!!:eek: im glad they are both okay:D :D

K9soul
01-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Ack! That has to have been very frightening! I had one bad experience with Tasha once that gave me enough scare to turn my hair gray early!

It wasn't too long after we first moved into this house, and we didn't have Tommy yet, just Willie and Tasha. It was sort of a rainy fall day, and I was helping Willie up the deck steps since his arthritis was really bothering him then. I turned around, and Tasha was GONE! The yard isn't fenced, and it's a large lot (nearly an acre). We didn't have the underground fencing yet. Tasha had never wandered from the yard before, always stayed fairly close to me, but I'm guessing she saw a rabbit or something that she chased.

Well I started calling her, still not TOO worried yet as she had never ever strayed far from me. Nothing.. nothing.. I started getting worried. Checked the neighboring yards, no sign of her. I can't tell you the sinking terrifying feeling that came over me then. It must have been like how you felt Pam when you saw the gate open.

After about 15 minutes I was a wreck. I was weeping and crying her name over and over and in the neighbor's yards and out in the road, and then calling my husband trying to get ahold of him at work... When suddenly there she was, racing towards me at top speed, sopping wet and muddy-footed. Relieved is way too much of an understatement. I got her in the house and was just shaking and holding her, not caring about getting my clothes wet/muddy at all. I swear my nerves were totally shot.

Thank God it has never happened again. Last summer we put in the underground fencing, but even without that she has never strayed again.

lovemyshiba
01-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Pam, what a good duo you have!!!
Ripley alerted you, and Bella did not go far!!!!

When we were at my parents for Christmas, 5 dogs got out--unbelievably, when Abbey got off the back porch she ran straight to the front door--I was so proud of her!! Jada ran straight to her daddy, and Riley did a quick lap around the house and came right back too. Now, as for Kito, and my parent's dog Spike, well, they had a little adventure, but came back as soon as I spotted them and called--boy did I shave a few years off my life that night!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad your babies are right there with you right now, give them a big hug and a kiss from me please!!!!

Tonya
01-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Scary! I'm glad you found your puppy quickly! Dusty and Roxy would have split. They don't give me notice.

jenfer
01-14-2004, 12:01 AM
I am glad Bella is home safe now.

shais_mom
01-14-2004, 12:08 AM
WOW!!
I am glad your babies are safe Pam!!! That is so scary.
Keegan hasn't done that for a long time, altho she did something the other day that put both our lives on the line. :( That we won't be doing again. But my queen of escape was my RB greyhound Shaianne. omg the stories of her escapes are too numerous to count.
Thank God Bella and Ripley are safe at home!!

CathyBogart
01-14-2004, 01:34 AM
Whew! What a scare! I'm soo glad everyone is safe and sound!

tikeyas_mom
01-14-2004, 01:46 AM
what a scare!! i could just imajine seeing her confused look in her face standing there, thinking "where am I mom?" lol

pitc9
01-14-2004, 05:26 AM
Oh I am so happy she's back in your arms!!!!

Logan
01-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Oh dear! Pam, when I read your message, I got all shaky just thinking about what "could" have happened!!! :eek: I'm so glad it is over. You know my stories of mine taking off, and they don't stop!! Too scary!!!!

Bella and Ripley, you are good dogs!! Don't be giving your mother any more heart attacks!!!! :)

ramanth
01-14-2004, 08:14 AM
How scarey! I'm so glad Ripley stayed and that Bella didn't go far.

tatsxxx11
01-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Oh Pam, isn't that the most frightening, sickening feeling??? Thank goodness both Ripley and Bella are ok! I'm so familiar with that scary scenario! Workers are always coming by without my knowing it, climbing over my fence to do some work, leaving my gates unlocked or not shutting them completely. I'll come home thinking all is well, let the dogs out, not realizing that the wind has blown one of the gates open:mad: :mad: :mad: Twice the girls escaped and I was frantic. Thankfully they ventured down the road behind my house into the woods. But like you, it took hours before I stopped shaking! Give the pups a hug for me! And one for you, too!:)

Rachel
01-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Ripley, a typical little brother, trying to *tell on* his big sis. Actually, these two aren't going to go anywhere. They've got it too good where they are and both are smart enough to know it. But that doesn't mean they can't give Mom a big scare. There isn't a louder sound than one's heart beating when something like this happens.

It's been awhile since Hannah has had an escape opportunity but one never forgets the horror of it.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh Pam! How shock up you must have been! Thank God Ripley and Bella are home safe. An incident like that can take 10 years off of your life, can't it!!

ChrisH
01-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Oh, my, how scary!! Thank God Bella and Ripley are safe at home now. And what good dogs they are, Ripley for not running off, and Bella for not going far.

Sending a big hug for you, and please give some more hugs to Bella and Ripley from me.

KYS
01-14-2004, 07:58 PM
That could have been a very scary situation.
Bella/Ripley are so good.
IF that was Rocky or Pepper they would have
been down the block.
Ripley is one smart puppy too.
I know it is a pain, but I am glad you are locking
the gate now.
I wonder who left your gate opened. :(

Cookiebaker
01-14-2004, 08:30 PM
What a scare, Pam!! I am so glad that our Bella & Ripley are safe home again!

Lots of doggie kisses and treats tonight!! :)

Pam
01-14-2004, 09:57 PM
I took this picture last night after I calmed down. :) It did my heart good to see the two of them drifting off to dreamland in a warm house on a comfy bed instead of lost somewhere. :eek: As you can you see their collars are on!! :) The gates are LOCKED too! :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/pde6d838b6c82cd71a090e57149671480/f9f1b1ce.jpg

RobiLee
01-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Whew, I would have been scared too. Glad Bella stayed close and all is well. This is one of my biggest fears with Katie. I always try to remember to make sure the gate is latched and we have to constantly make sure she doesn't get out the front door. Katie is not one to stick around. I'm so glad Bella and Ripley were good pups!

Robin :)

Cataholic
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
I am so glad to hear Bella stayed close to home, and that both of your guys are safe!

Does Binx even know how to run?????