PDA

View Full Version : What the HECK is this?

IttyBittyKitty
01-13-2004, 04:07 AM
Some of you know that Pixie's been a bit naughty and pooping on the ground (probably because she's unwell) ... I found no less than four piles this afternoon.

Anyhoo, I found something even more disgusting on her chin! URGHHHHH! Is it ring worm? Guess who is going to the White Coats tomorrow...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p3d136233d83b89d3ee66b046ad67dad9/f9f65f75.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p7a5335ea44a5b648bd9d5777056d9391/f9f65f79.jpg

jenluckenbach
01-13-2004, 05:46 AM
ACNE. Please feel free to go to the vet, you probably want to talk about the pooping problem anyway, but I do not believe you have ringworm.

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-13-2004, 06:02 AM
Poor Pixel...

give her a *KISS* for me!!

sirrahbed
01-13-2004, 06:49 AM
I did not know that cats could get acne!! Weird. I also would have guessed ringwirm just based on what I have read. I know Dylan came from a shelter where they had a room where ringworm had spread and I keep looking for it on him but mothing has ever shown up. Does ringworm look similar or not so raw?? My oldest son got it quite often when he was on the wrestling team in highschool but it just looked like blisters - like athletes foot sort of...apparently wrestlers share this nasty fungus.

Poor little Pixel - is this painful and is there anything that can be applied to heal it?

:D Guess we all wait for Jen to answer these things!:p

K & L
01-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Here are some links that describe both ringworm and acne. 2 of our cats have the feline acne, but they've never lost fur the way your's looks. I would get a vet diagnose on this cause if it's ringworm it's highly contagious to both human and other animals.

http://www.fabcats.org/is16.html

http://www.fabcats.org/is59.html

ramanth
01-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Aww Pixel! Hope that clears up before the prom! ;) :D
Seriously... get well soon cutie.

Barbara
01-13-2004, 09:00 AM
I never saw it at the chin -but one or two times per year Filou loses a sq centimetre of fur in a catfight with his brother. And that looks very similar......

Killearn Kitties
01-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Best of luck at the white coats tomorrow Pixel!

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Kona has had feline chin acne, too. Some looked like little blackheads, and some looked like your pictures. Her vet said hot compresses would help (she didn't care for that much) and to make sure she didn't scratch them and make them worse. They healed well, and she hasn't had an outbreak in a long time.

He explained that sometimes this is caused by the scent glands in her chin producing too much oil, which clogs the pores.

Good luck at the vet, Pixel. I hope your chin gets well soon!

aly
01-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Do you use plastic food bowls? Plastic bowls can cause the acne. If you switch to ceramic, it should clear up.

There are other causes too and I'm sure your vet can tell you more.

It doesn't look like ringworm to me.

sirrahved
01-13-2004, 10:39 AM
eeeww. As I started reading this post I was eating tuna casserole...

My mom's cat had allergies that caused little spots like that. So now for the past 8 years he has been on the exact same diet... and now he has toxoplasmosis of the eye. He was the runt of the litter and has had health problems all of his life.

RedHedd
01-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Looks like kitty acne to me. My RB Goldie used to get breakouts like that on her chin. A little bit of Neosporin did the trick to clear it up quickly. A quick trip to the vet should confirm the diagnosis. Let us know what happens.

Catsnclay
01-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Aly is 100% correct, this is acne caused from a plastic food bowl or toy. No need to panic. Simply take away the plastic toy and change to ceramic, metal or glass feeding & watering bowl, the problem will clear up.

tikeyas_mom
01-13-2004, 03:07 PM
it looks like a wart

Miss Meow
01-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Ow on both counts :(

The skin looks too raw for ringworm.

I feel sorry for you on the pooing problem. There has to be something that causing her stress. How frustrating for you.

IttyBittyKitty
01-13-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm a bit concerned about ringworm because I handled some kittens that have just gotten over it. I washed my hands well, but sometimes these things can be real tenacious!

I've been meaning to get her pooping problem checked out too!

As for acne, they do have ceramic bowls, but I have to suspend a small plastic bowl into the larger ceramic bowls to keep ants out. I might try and find a tray to create ceramic "islands" so they can eat straight out of the ceramic bowls.

kimlovescats
01-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Doesn't look like ringworm to me either....and I've seen lots of ringworm lately!!! ;)

Randy_K
01-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Feline acne is pretty common. Our vet suggested Stridex acne pads to treat it. It does work!

cutie_chica
01-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Randy_K
Feline acne is pretty common. Our vet suggested Stridex acne pads to treat it. It does work!

Learn something new everyday!!;)

krazyaboutkatz
01-14-2004, 12:53 AM
It looks like acne to me too. Hopefully Pixel's pooping problem isn't anything serious. Please keep us updated.

My Sunny also has acne on his chin. He gets little black specs. I now use only stainless steel bowls and I wash them out everyday and now run them in my dishwasher once a week too. He broke out with it again about a month ago and I've been cleaning it daily with peroxide but it keeps coming back.:( I asked the vet about it last year and he gave me some cream to use but it didn't seem to help. I'm just glad it's not anything serious.

luckies4me
01-14-2004, 01:33 AM
It looks more like a wart than acne to me, but I am no expert. ;)

IttyBittyKitty
01-14-2004, 04:39 AM
She's fine, the wound is just a battle scar ... she's on antibiotics to combat this and any potential tummy bugs!

jenluckenbach
01-14-2004, 04:50 AM
A battle scar? Sometimes they sure can make you feel silly!

IttyBittyKitty
01-14-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
A battle scar? Sometimes they sure can make you feel silly!

Don't I know it? Meanwhile, she wasn't happy about the meds. She did a big smelly POOP on the floor straight after we gave them to her.

PS the vet recommended feliway if it turns out she's got a psychological problem! He said he can order it in for us :)