PDA

View Full Version : Hamster with ruptured eye

weather101
01-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Has anyone had a hamster with a ruptured eye before? my hamster got out of his cage the other night and i didn't found out until the next morning. :eek: :eek: it was a sunday, so i couldn't bring him to the vet, but I called, as he leaves his home number available for emergencies. well, he went to the vet today and he confirmed it being a ruptured eye. he put cream on it and told us to continue putting the cream on for a week and if it does not get better in that amount of time, he will have to have his eye removed. has anyone had this happen before? what could of caused it? of course now i will spoil him MORE. i feel so bad.

luckies4me
01-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes I have had this happen to several of my rescued hamsters. It should dry out on it's own, and most do. They just fall out and then there is the hole left which eventually closes up. Rodents heal incredibly fast! Just keep doing what the vet says and it should heal up just fine.

Do you have cats? He could have been bitten or scratched in the eye or it could have gotten poked from something around the house. Sometimes certain illnesses can cause the eyes to become dry and then ulcerate and pop. But since you didn't see it happen and he was out of the cage for so long there is really no way of knowing what exactly went on.

tikeyas_mom
01-13-2004, 02:03 PM
i would also like to ask what kind of bedding you use? that might have been a factor.

cutie_chica
01-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Good Luck with your baby, Just do what the vet says and he should be okay, GOOD LUCK!!!:D