PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider adopting a ....

Kfamr
01-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Would you consider adopting a stray
or unwanted pet rather than buying one?

YES
YES
YES
and
YES.

That would be what I considered FIRST -- before buying!

binka_nugget
01-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Yep, same. Shelters and rescues are always my first choice.

Fuzzy317
01-13-2004, 04:08 AM
Of our pets, one was a rescue, 4 were adoptions, and one was the rescue's baby (she was supposed to be spayed :rolleyes: ).

jenluckenbach
01-13-2004, 05:44 AM
You can BUY pets? :confused: Never even crossed my mind. ;):D

bluekat
01-13-2004, 05:04 PM
I'll admit it, before I joined PT we had no intention of rescuing a cat:o BUT now I know I'll be resuing from now on:) So I guess you guys have changed my mind about rescuing:D

Blueberry was from a breeder.:)

Pam
01-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Already did. Ripley is a rescue and Trevor and Andy were adopted free of charge. Bella is the only current pet that I bought. :)

Desert Arabian
01-13-2004, 05:22 PM
YES!! Although if I get a Great Dane, I might get it from a well-known breeder, so I know its health histroy since Danes are prone to A LOT of health problems.

Other than that, all of my animals are going to be rescues, even my horses and mules- already have started looking at equine rescues in Wisconsin. :p

Tonya
01-14-2004, 02:46 PM
All of my animals have always been rescues aside from the snakes and Teddy (pomeranian). As of right now, I don't ever have an intention of purchasing another animal. If I had a particular breed in mind, I'd take my time looking at rescues and shelters. I suppose if I really couldn't find what I wanted (which would be next to impossible), I would consider buying from a breeder again.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Of course! I would love to save a life! Actually, my family is talking about getting a kitten! I hope we can get one! We will be adopting one.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Yep, we looked there before we decided to go to Breeders. I have no regrets, either. :) Although I would love to adopt a shelter dog.

Moose
01-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Of course. Moose was from a shelter, and quite honestly...I refuse to buy from a breeder. Why give a breeder more reasons to continue bringing puppies into the world when there are so many abandoned and alone dogs that are in a greater need of homes??

primabella
01-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Of course! Everybody I know who is considering a dog, I always suggest to them the shelters first. :D

We checked out all the shelters in the area before going for the breeder. We didn't know about Pet Finder at the time but still...I don't regret a thing. :)

wolfie
02-11-2004, 05:12 PM
I will always get my dogs from the shelter! :) As long as there are 3 million dogs put to sleep each year :(, I'll help out all I can by adopting them!

DarkAngel9846
04-05-2004, 03:49 PM
I know growing up, we have picked up so many dogs off the street its uncountable... We have gotten many from shelters though. Just about 2 years ago at my camp my parents kept hearing the security calling for the owners of a dlamation beagle mix. We ended up taking her home. We had to get rid of her unfortunatly to my dads friend. Though about 3 times she ran from him and ended up on our front porch :) He lived quite a while away but yet she kept coming back. One day she ran away from him and we havn't heard from her since :(

G.P.girl
04-06-2004, 06:36 PM
i would definatly get a stray before i bought a pet. the only time i would buy a pet from a store is if the stray's and shelters ran out (unlikely)

My Peanuts
04-26-2004, 02:58 PM
YES! DUH!
Harley was a stray from a shelter.

cloverfdx
04-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Yes indeed :)

wolf_Q
04-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Of course. :) I want my next dog to be a siberian husky from a shelter or rescue. No matter what dog I got, I'd want them to be right for me and Nebo.

If I am ever able to get a cat there isn't any other place I would even consider besides a shelter or rescue.

stacwase
04-28-2004, 06:56 AM
I will never consider buying a pet again!

We bought Jake from a breeder and adopted RB Pepper, Max and Toby from shelters. The shelter pets actually fit our personalities much better than Jake does.

When you adopt a pet that's not a new puppy, you have a much better idea of what the animal's personality is like, before you commit yourself.

Dogz
04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I have one rescue here.

I do not regret getting the dogs I have, although next time I get a new dog/cat, I will definately consider rescuing!

EssTer
05-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Of course!!!!!!!!

Lillycat
06-06-2004, 10:14 PM
definately!!!

cali
06-12-2004, 12:17 AM
yes, but I do like to get my BCs from working farms though, I would not mind rescuing one, I just happen to like farm bred ones better lol

sirrahbed
07-03-2004, 02:03 PM
All of our pets have been rescues or strays. Every once in awhile, I toy with the idea of owning an aby or a scottish fold - but then I think of all that money and just can't do it.
Growing up, my family always had a pure-bred toy poodle or chihuahua though.

MariaM
07-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Yes, Definately! I always say to myself "I'm gonna have a golden retriever when I get older, I'm gonna have an Irish Wolfhound, a Boxer, but then I go "well, I don't know what breed, but it will be rescued!"

Some people I know were gonna get a puppy. I was like, well why don't you get from the SPCA ? (the only rescue sort of place we have around here) and the girl goes "well my mom said you have to get them fixed and have their shots and stuff and we don't want to do that"

:eek: I was flabbergasted!

davidpizzica
07-06-2004, 12:03 PM
I would NEVER even consider buying a cat! Especially when there are plenty of kitties in shelters and rescues just BEGGING for a furrever home!

MariaM
07-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Around here, there are many more cats than dogs. (That need homes) Lots of people on farms get a couple cats, don't think its necessary to get them fixed, and they either mate with eachother or with other wilder cats. Then they have kittens. Next year they have kittens again, and their kittens from last year have kittens. And so on. It makes me so mad, every year they keep adding so many cats that will never get a home.

davidpizzica
07-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Around here, there are many more cats than dogs. (That need homes) Lots of people on farms get a couple cats, don't think its necessary to get them fixed, and they either mate with eachother or with other wilder cats. Then they have kittens. Next year they have kittens again, and their kittens from last year have kittens. And so on. It makes me so mad, every year they keep adding so many cats that will never get a home. MariaM, I wholeheartedly agree. There will never be a shortage of unwanted animals as long as there are irresponsible owners who DO NOT spay or neuter their pets.

07-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Yep, same. Shelters and rescues are always my first choice.

jazzcat
07-06-2004, 06:49 PM
All of mine are rescues. Disney came from our county shelter. Jazz and Scout came from a rescue shelter that adopts out of a pet store and I took Ripley from a lady who was about to take all her kittens to a high kill shelter. I just wished I had taken his two sister too.:( I'm still sad about that and it's been over 12 years ago. I pray they found homes before it was too late.

chrissycat21
07-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Shelters are my first place to look, especially with dogs. Sadly, I couldn't find the dog I wanted there. I was pretty limited with my choices, had to be good with young kids, and had to be a bichon, maltese, or poodle because my mom is allergic to dogs. Plus, she only wants 'lap' dogs.

-Chrissy, Snowy, and Taffy

chrissycat21
07-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Shelters are my first place to look, especially with dogs. Sadly, I couldn't find the dog I wanted there. I was pretty limited with my choices, had to be good with young kids, and had to be a bichon, maltese, or poodle because my mom is allergic to dogs. Plus, she only wants 'lap' dogs.

-Chrissy, Snowy, and Taffy

iceyshiver21
07-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Who has time to buy, too many strays around here. All Rescues in this household.

Toller 42
07-21-2004, 09:13 PM
i would choose to rescue right after I get a toller only because there aren't many tollers in shelters, but if there was one I'd take it over a breeders dog!

shaybabixo
10-02-2004, 09:48 AM
DEFINATLY!!!!!!!:D DEFINATLY!!!!!!!:D

The_Duck
10-02-2004, 11:35 AM
I've never purchased a dog from a breeder in my life. Now Julie and Angel did cost us something as they were shelter dogs. Blackfoot was given to us. And make and J.W. are Angels pups.

pitc9
10-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Everydog I've ever had, from the time I was a baby till now, has been from a shelter!!!

Everydog for the rest of my life will be from a shelter!

christa
10-04-2004, 07:04 AM
YES!!! We adopted Josie from a shelter. Poor baby, I can't imagine that someone didn't want her! Just glad I found her!:D

lizzielou742
10-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by christa
YES!!! We adopted Josie from a shelter. Poor baby, I can't imagine that someone didn't want her! Just glad I found her!:D

That's exactly how I feel about Tito! :D

All my pets my whole life have been rescues, with the exception of our bunnies. Those we got from a breeder. Oh, and my fish. ;)

Corinna
10-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Of all the dogs I have had (lots) Merlin is the only one I have bought from a breeder. We have 2 rescue dogs now and 3 rescue cats well 2 picked us.

abbygal
10-08-2004, 09:30 PM
All my critters have been throw aways and they've all been great. The only one I had that I actually bought was my Blue Front Amazon Parrot who I had for over 20 yrs and passed on to RB sept 23, 2002 and she is still greatly missed, she lived through my kids teen years and the first couple grandkids.

manda_moo87
10-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Of course! :D

I've got a few rescues myself, both Squeekers and Misty are rescues. Of my rabbits, Jack (and my RB buns Hopper and Floppy, and guinea pig Rusty) were all rescued. :)

sammy101
10-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Kodie is my first rescued dog! my other 2 RB dogs were from breeders.but probly for now on,i will go to the SPCA or pound or rescues.:)

Shelter dogs deserve alot more...

chrissycat21
10-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Yes! Sadly, I don't have any rescues at my house. But the next pets I get will be from a shelter.

snappy
10-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Most of my pets have been 'strays' who have picked me or my family to grow up with. So my answer is:

YES YES YES OF COURSE HECK YES!!!!:D

puppyluvs
10-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Oh yes absolutely !!!!!!!

Hopefully by Thursday I will be doing just that !

karyn674
10-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Both my cats have been strays one day, but now they have a warm home and a family. Even my previous pets where strays, never bought one. And these are my babies:

Pippa
http://www.pbase.com/karyn674/image/35075475

Lulu
http://www.pbase.com/karyn674/image/35072959

karyn674
10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Oops! I think the above did not function that well! Let's try again:

So this is Lulu:

karyn674
10-20-2004, 12:54 PM
And this is Pippa: