PDA

View Full Version : OMG Breast Cancer!!

kingrattus
01-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Guess what the Discovery channel says correlation with breast cancer?!?!?

Deodorants!!

They said most breast cancer is closest to the armpit & maybe caused by something going into the skin (or something like that). It was a great story. I'm going to try & find it in their website.

nope no luck in finding it. ohwell, it was a great story.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like to wear deodorants & I'll contine to not wear any :D mind u, getting a rash in there sucks too.

Tweety_Pie
01-12-2004, 09:57 PM
thats weird...i never knew that!:eek:

aly
01-12-2004, 10:21 PM
I've heard this before.

You can still use natural deodorants. I believe it is the antiperspirant that causes the cancer.

lovemyshiba
01-12-2004, 10:22 PM
I am NOT going to stop wearing deodorant.

If you search hard enough, everything gives you cancer.

Tonya
01-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I'd rather die smelling fresh and clean. lol. I need my deoderant. :D

gini
01-12-2004, 10:35 PM
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBUrbanMyths.shtml#antiperspirant

Please go to this link in hoaxbusters. They are saying that this was debunked by the American Cancer Society some time ago.

Breast cancer is serious - obviously - and there are some scare stories that go around that just aren't true.

I tried to find the link in www.truthorfiction.com but I couldn't get onto their site this evening.

slick
01-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by gini
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBUrbanMyths.shtml#antiperspirant

Please go to this link in hoaxbusters. They are saying that this was debunked by the American Cancer Society some time ago.
You know, that's funny because I work for the Canadian Cancer Society and I've never heard that before. I was doing some searching myself in our database and the Cancer Information Line database and could not come up with a thing.

Good research Gini!!

Just goes to show you that you can never believe everything you hear.

lovemyshiba
01-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks Gini.

That's what I meant--there's always a new story about something that will give us cancer--I never know what to believe.

Kfamr
01-12-2004, 10:53 PM
"They" say everything gives you cancer nowadays.

Ewwwww!!! I can't even imagine going without deodorant! :eek:

Tonya
01-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
"They" say everything gives you cancer nowadays.

Ewwwww!!! I can't even imagine going without deodorant! :eek:

Some people are fortunate and can. My mom has never worn it and is fine. Me on the other hand, I'd lose friends. lol.

Kfamr
01-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Certainly can't down here! I could now since it's cold out, but when the summer comes it just get WAY too hot and EVERYONE sweats -- you're bound to smell some major B.O. if no one wore deodorant!

mugsy
01-13-2004, 10:34 AM
That was the big "THREAT" a few years ago and then they had to take it back because it was proven to be false. Kind of like the aspartame now.

aly
01-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
That was the big "THREAT" a few years ago and then they had to take it back because it was proven to be false. Kind of like the aspartame now.

Is asperatame not harmful afterall?

lizbud
01-13-2004, 11:00 AM
This was covered on the BBC site yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3383393.stm

It was also covered on an NBC affiliate station in Indy 11/12/04

http://www.theindychannel.com/health/2761053/detail.html

2kitties
01-13-2004, 11:03 AM
That is a hoax. There is no scientific evidence to tie deoderant to breast cancer. So let's all refrain from stinking up the place:)

RedHedd
01-13-2004, 12:48 PM
It is a hoax. I'm a breast cancer survivor and study up on EVERYTHING I can get my hands on regarding cause, effect, survival, new treatments, research, etc. I went through my ordeal in '97, lost a breast, but did not lose my life. You can get through it and NO, deodorant/antiperspirants do NOT cause breast cancer.

RubyMutt
01-13-2004, 01:29 PM
I've always heard that antiperspirants CAN increase the risks of getting breast cancer, but NOT deodorants. Is that also a hoax? I have used nothing but all natural non antiperspirant deodorants since I heard that.

lizbud
01-13-2004, 02:17 PM
First article says only that they found traces of the chemical
(parabens) in every tumor they studied. This same chemical is used as a preserative in deoderants. That fact and the fact that
parabens acts as a growth agent in breast cancers as does
estrogen.

Quote from the BBC article;

"Their detection in human breast tumours is of concern since parabens have been shown to be able to mimic the action of the female hormone oestrogen," she said.

"Oestrogen can drive the growth of human breast tumours. It would therefore seem especially prudent to consider whether parabens should continue to be used in such a wide range of cosmetics applied to the breast area including deodorants."

Dr Philip Harvey, European editor of the journal, said the findings should be interpreted cautiously.

"Further work is required to examine any association between oestrogenic and other chemicals in underarm cosmetics and breast cancer."

Nowhere does it say it causes Breast Cancer.

CountryWolf07
01-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I'd rather die smelling fresh and clean. lol. I need my deoderant. :D

LOL.. Ditto..

carole
01-13-2004, 03:52 PM
I had heard this one many many years ago, they also said underwire bras were a contributing factor, so are we all going to throw away our bras as well, I think these are all scaremongering stories, and ones we can do without, my mother is also a survivor of breast cancer, and I donot for one moment believe it is caused through deodrants, if that were the case , then many more men would also suffer from BC, and their incidents are a lot lower, so that blows that theory for me, and most men do use them today, and have done for many years now.

I think the pollution and the chemicals in our food are more likely to contribute to cancers than anything else, and the one theory relating to BC I do believe is taking the contraceptive pill for many years, I do think this may indeed prove to be a factor in BC. Just MHO.

lizbud
01-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by carole
my mother is also a survivor of breast cancer, and I donot for one moment believe it is caused through deodrants, if that were the case , then many more men would also suffer from BC, and their incidents are a lot lower, so that blows that theory for me, and most men do use them today, and have done for many years now.

Carole,

The tests mentioned said the chemicals in the deoderant
worked like the female hormone estrogen & encouraged the
growth of cancer. Maybe since males have very little of this
female hormone, they are not effected by it as women are.??

Just a thought. :)

p.s. I am also a BC survivor since '96.:)

kingrattus
01-13-2004, 05:40 PM
"correlation with breast cancer"

correlation
correlation
correlation
correlation
correlation

I did not say "CAUSES"

For people who do not know what correlation means read on.

correlation = link

& if it was a false years ago, thats nice. But this is a newer study. & I know this because, they said so & it was on right after (or before kinda forget now) the Mars rover. & Daily Planet so far has been quite reliable.

lizbud I'm glad u know what correlation means hehehe :D

carole
01-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Forgive me Lizbud, I actually did not read the article , I have enough worries regarding BC without reading what I class as scaremongering articles,maybe there is something to it, but honestly if we did deleted everything they say may have a link to cancer, we would not have very good lives.

Also would that not mean all women who use them would develop BC, and obviously that is not the case, just wondering?

Until there is conclusive evidence, I for one will not be throwing away my underarm smellies.

Thanks anyway lizbud for putting me in the picture.:)

Twisterdog
01-13-2004, 07:56 PM
If you look hard enough, I bet you could find a study showing that everything from water to air to soup to the color red causes cancer.

Life it too short to live it in fear of everything that may or may not be related to cancer.

Don't smoke, get some exercise, eat a reasonable diet ... and relax.

carole
01-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Could not agree with you more twisterdog, well said!!!!!!

gini
01-13-2004, 08:16 PM
"Possible Connection Between Skin Care Aids and Breast Cancer
HEALTHY LIVING — Chemicals in products we use every day like cosmetics, shampoos and deodorants are present in beast cancer tissue, but is there really a connection? Scientists are taking a serious look at this.
Parabens are preservatives used in skin care and hair grooming aids, nail creams and many other hygiene and cosmetic products. Parabens can mimic the action sof the hormone estrogen, which is know to fuel breast cancer.

Still researchers say it is too early to say that trace amounts of parabens cause breast cancer. The American Cancer Society says eating a low fat diet and increasing your exercise is much effective at reducing your breast cancer risk that cutting out cosmetics and deodorants. The findings are in the Journal of Applied Technology. "

This is from ABC7.com today's issue............

lizbud
01-14-2004, 10:27 AM
This is just an FYI for those who said they read everything
they can about Cancer & the human body. This is an interactive
diagram & I found it very interesting. It just falls under the
heading of General Information. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/health/2000/cancer/breast.stm

kingrattus
01-14-2004, 10:31 AM
I saw the program on tv again today, & its a study being done in GB not in the usa, so I don't think the american cancer society has anything to do with this study. (I just recall someone saying that american cancer society did a hoax).

2kitties
01-14-2004, 10:58 AM
The guy who sat next to me on the plane from Pittsburg Sunday night must've read this article!!!

PayItForward
01-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kingrattus
"correlation with breast cancer" There is a proven correlation between increase of icecream sales and increase of deaths by drowning.
Correlation can also be described as two things which share an effect from one or more third party source.

In the above case, the third party source is the sun or heat.

Correlation is near meaningless.

lovemyshiba
01-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties
The guy who sat next to me on the plane from Pittsburg Sunday night must've read this article!!!

lol, I bet that was a fun flight!!!!