PDA

View Full Version : Must read!! Newspaper article.......cute

Catsnclay
01-12-2004, 07:53 PM
This came out of our daily newspaper today, thought it was quite cute and thought I'd share it with all of you:

Ah, cats: Fickle and stoned.

Question: I have 2 cats, both the same age but not related. One of them goes crazy for catnip, the other just ignores it. Why is that?

Answer: I suspect it is a plan the 2 cats worked out between themselves to drive you crazy. That seems reasonable. As a rule, if it is something you paid money for or want the cat to enjoy, the animal will ignore it. On the other hand, if it is something you didi not pay money for or you do not want the cat to play with - your big toe, for example - the cat will be all over it.

Catnip is a member of the mint family and contains a chemical called nepetalactone, which seems to be the stuff that gets Fluffy stoned. No one is quite sure how it works, although it might have to do with the cat smelling something we don't.

Anyway, the short answer is that the response to catnip seems to be hereditary. Some cats come from a long line of dopers. Some don't.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I just sat and laughed out loud after reading this, isn't this the truth??!! :D :) :rolleyes:

catnapper
01-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Somebody told me that before... they said Allen's mom must not be a stoner because he's not into catnip.

Jen, is Bonnie a stoner because Pouncer goes NUTS for catnip - we've learned the hard way not to let him have it near bedtime since he goes wild once he's had it!

jenluckenbach
01-12-2004, 08:39 PM
YES!!!!! Bonnie almost killed her babies the first time I gave her catnip. (now, not really KILL, but very agressive play)
And Pouncer (and his siblings) actually loved this stuff at a very early age. I was always told that kittens do not react to catnip........boy, they never met Pouncer.

CatDad
01-12-2004, 08:58 PM
What a cute article.:)

I don't know anything about Bob or Joey's parents. However, they both love catnip. Bob is really funny, he is rody for a couple of minutes. Then he goes back to being mellow Bob. Oh well, at least he enjoys it. Joey gets a little crazy for about 10 or 15 minutes and then sleeps.:)

stacwase
01-12-2004, 09:01 PM
hehe - that's great!

I think the answer was very accurate too. However, cats do also seem to go nuts for anything you payed good money for and do NOT want them to play with (for example, the printer!)

Karen
01-12-2004, 09:05 PM
When purchasing an expensive toy for a cat, make sure it's something YOU like, and don't want to see destroyed. That way said cat will delight in ripping it to shreds!

My Dad sometimes buys fuzzy catnip mice and leaves them for my brother and sister-in-law's cats. Then when the grown-ups come home, they are faced with three completely stoned cats - my brother has accused Dad of drugging the felines!

gini
01-12-2004, 10:43 PM
When I went on vacation, I left a ziplock baggie filled with catnip for the petsitter to use. When I returned you would have thought I had a huge infestation of rats by the looks of that bag.

Now, it is always kept in a plastic container with an airtight lid......ha...it didn't get past them...they know exactly what is in that container and meow like crazy for it.

Nomilynn
01-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Catnip makes Bassett DROOL like crazy. They all roll in it. I usually sprinkle it all over my floor and watch them roll around like loonies.. it's too funny! :)

K & L
01-13-2004, 07:47 AM
What a cute article! We tried catnip a couple of times and only a few cats seemed to like it.

Barbara
01-13-2004, 08:37 AM
After some time Filou and Tigris lose interest in their mousies. Then I marinate them in a box full of catnip to "revive" them:D