PDA

View Full Version : 1-800-donotcall

shais_mom
01-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Has anyone used the 1-800-do not call?

Has anyone signed up for this and does it work??

Cincy'sMom
01-12-2004, 03:39 PM
We did when it first came out and it has really cut down onthe number of calls we receive.

We have caller ID and it used to be full of unavailables. Now we get a few, but less then 1/2 what we used to.

2kitties
01-12-2004, 03:41 PM
I had it in Missouri and it worked well.

But the best thing is to get rid of your landline. I only use cell now and my bills are lower and no more telemarketers.

Cataholic
01-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Is this the same as the national do not call list that didn't go into effect on 10/1/03? If so, I did sign up for it, and it has drastically cut down on my calls...DRASTICALLY.

lizbud
01-12-2004, 04:54 PM
It probably works, but why pay them to get you signed up?

There is a federal no-call list that you can call to sign up, or
maybe do it online for free. Indiana has a state no-call list that
was proposed by our Attorney General two years ago & voted
into law. The sign up was free & I'll be eternally grateful to him
& the state legislature for the rest of my life.:D :D

Honestly, I was getting 10 to 15 calls everyday. They even had the nerve to leave their sales pitch on my voice mail. It was very annoying. But not anymore, the silence is wonderful. :)

Cincy'sMom
01-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by lizbud

There is a federal no-call list that you can call to sign up, or
maybe do it online for free.

I didn't open the link before...I just assumed it was the federalist. Oops :) We signed up for the free, federal list and that is what has cut down on our calls.

Cinder & Smoke
01-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by lizbud

There is a federal no-call list that you can call to sign up,
AND
maybe do it online for free.

OMG! :eek:

Somebody must invent a New Scam every day! :mad:

And that 1-800 number does appear to be a scam!
For $2.95 they will TRANSFER you to the Federal Govt phone number
that you can dial (yourself) for FREE!

Careful Staci...
the ole 1-800 number doesn't guarantee it's gonna be "FREE" anymore! :p ;)

I "think" THIS is the FREE US Government site for signing up to be put on
the National Do Not Call List...

National Do Not Call sign-up site (https://www.donotcall.gov/Register/Reg.aspx)

And to Answer Staci's Question ~

YES!! :D
Boy-oh-Boy DOES it work!!
Being "Listed" has almost Totally Eliminated telemarketing calls!!

And...
The few *dummies* that still do call ~
Get REAL *nerbus* and hang up Quick-Like when I advise that
the number
they called IS on the National Do Not Call List...

So if you haven't signed up yet... Consider Doing it!!

And don't be afraid to List you CELL Phone Number, too!
It's only a mattter of time till the telemarketers start calling Cell Phones! :mad:

shais_mom
01-12-2004, 10:20 PM
-K-
Thanks Phred!! I took out the original address I had b/c I don't want to encourage someone to sign up for a scam. I didn't use it. I thought it was fishy having to pay for it.
That's why I asked first!!!
Thanks for the link!! I signed up for it!!!
I tried going to the Ohio gov site and couldn't get anywhere, so I greatly appreciate the link!!

Fox-Gal
01-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the link, that something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I sure hope it helps....no more running to the phone for those jerks again. *little happy dance * ;)

Kfamr
01-13-2004, 01:03 AM
But telemarketers are so fun to mess with! :D

Tonya
01-13-2004, 01:48 AM
It works!!!!!

In fact, it didn't dawn on me that it works until you mentioned it! I used to get calls all day long and all evening every day...I'd say I've only gotten about 4-5 calls the past few months.

IttyBittyKitty
01-13-2004, 04:35 AM
At worst, we'd probably get one call a day with a listed number. With my silent number, I never get them.

neko1
01-13-2004, 08:10 AM
I wish I could get rid of our landline, but unfortunately when you live in the boonies of new jersey, you don't get cell phone service in or near the house:o

anna_66
01-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the link! I didn't know it was illegal for them to call you, cool. I'll make sure I tell any who call me, I'm on the list!

Felicia's Mom
01-13-2004, 12:52 PM
It has cut down on my calls from telemarketers. Lately, however, I have been getting at least 10 calls a day from politicians in the Iowa caucus. Those should end when the caucus is over.

Dogz
01-14-2004, 06:04 PM
I have actually never heard of this.:o I am so out of it.:rolleyes:

;)

Originally posted by Kfamr
But telemarketers are so fun to mess with! :D

I think so, too!;)

clara4457
01-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks so much for the link. Since I bought my house - I must get about 7 or 8 a week, mostly wanting me to refinance my house. :confused: I'VE HAD MY MORTGAGE FOR 6 MONTHS PEOPLE!!!!! :mad:

iceyshiver21
01-16-2004, 03:57 PM
I think my parents should seriously sign up because the calls we get are getting horrid.

smokey the elder
01-18-2004, 08:30 AM
It works. I mostly got refi calls too,,right after I got a great rate on a 15 year that I'm sure NO ONE can match!

Cell vs land lines: you need a land line if you have a satellite dish. Or else I'd get rid of it.

cubby31682
01-25-2004, 02:30 PM
My husband signed us up for it, it hasn't worked for us. I just have one question. What about the ones that call and you explain to them that you are on the do not call list, and they call you back? What do you do then. I heard that you can send something to someone and that company that called you will have to pay money for calling you and that you would get money for them calling you. Is that true and if so where do I make a claim?

Katie

Cinder & Smoke
01-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by cubby31682
My husband signed us up for it,
it hasn't worked for us.

... where do I make a claim?

First ~
I will take THREE Months from the date you sign up
to really notice an effect...

Complaints -
See this page:
National Do Not Call List - COMPLAINTS (https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx)

Also - click on the More INFO clicker for additional tips.

cubby31682
01-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Thank you very much. I know we haven't been signed up for three months yet. So I will wait for then before I make a claim.

Katie

Moose
01-25-2004, 05:51 PM
We signed up for it and the number of calls we have gotten have been cut down significantly...of course, now my e-mail inbox is full of SPAM mail. :p Oh well, I'll take that over annoying phone calls any day. :)

Of course, if you still get those calls every once in awhile...ask them to call you back when they are selling golf clubs or something else that is completely stupid and would never be sold through the phone. Their reaction is always hilarious, and they normally don't call again. :p

Has anyone else noticed how rude telemarketers have become, though? Most of them hangup before I even finish saying no...:rolleyes:

RedHedd
01-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Oh boy yes does it work! Those few that do get through, and I haven't had one in weeks, I just ask politely to put me on their do not call list. I've listed my cell phone too (I won't give up my land line as I need it to fax & surf the 'net). Like someone else said, the silence is WONDERFUL!