PDA

View Full Version : Elephant or Hippopotamus ?

Kent Brightman
01-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi
I'm Kent Brightman.
One day, I ask myself a crazy question.
Which animal is the best beetween the hippopotamus and the elephant ?
And today I am still ashamed to tell you that I can't answer this question. I ask my friends about it, but they can't give me a real answer too.
So, can you help me ?

This message is not a joke, it's verry serious.

Thanks.

lbaker
01-12-2004, 07:09 AM
I guess it depends what you mean by "Best". Best for what or to whom? Ask a lady elephant and she would certainly say a Bull elephant. Ask a baby hippo and he/she would say his/her mommy hippo. It's all relative....

aly
01-12-2004, 07:31 AM
My mom's favorite animal is the elephant. Hippos intrigue me though.

amoore
01-12-2004, 09:07 AM
I like the Elephant best.:)

Kent Brightman
01-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
I guess it depends what you mean by "Best". Best for what or to whom? Ask a lady elephant and she would certainly say a Bull elephant. Ask a baby hippo and he/she would say his/her mommy hippo. It's all relative....

Ok, so I 'll reformulate my question.
By "best", I meaned the stronger. Imagine a hippopotamus and an elephant face to face, which animal is the winner ? ( I said face to face but they can be in other position during the battle of course !)

For aly and amoore >>> can you explain your choice ?

Thanks.
Kent.

aly
01-12-2004, 09:23 AM
I actually am not sure why I like hippos and rhinos. I think it is because they are the animals I see the least (like on animal planet shows, etc). I just think they are large, magnificent creatures that are fun to watch. I feel the same about elephants, but I have been exposed to elephants more than hippos (I even rode one once!).

I am not sure which would win in a fight. That would be one scary fight. Although I can't really imagine a hippo fighting.

amoore
01-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I find the Hippopotamus more frightening.

:eek:

Cataholic
01-12-2004, 10:20 AM
My shade in the bedroom I shared with my sister had a purple hippo on it. So, we saw him every night when the shades were drawn. My sister wanted to be a hippo when she grew up! Fortunately, she thought through her career choice, and is now happily enjoying a career in the public library system. It would have made holiday gatherings at my house very difficult, otherwise.

So, I choose a hippo. But, I love them both!

tikeyas_mom
01-12-2004, 10:54 AM
elephant would win !! ;)..

Welcome

Kent Brightman
01-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Thank you for all your answer.
I only regret that most of you let their heart speak rather than really explain their choice.
I just want to specify the question is not wich do you prefer beetween these animals, but which do you think is the stronger and will gain the victory during a fight.
By example, the hippopotamus has big jaws but the elephant has defenses ... so, can you imagin what will happen during a fight beetween them ?

(sorry if my english is not verry comprehensible, but I'm german ..)

amoore
01-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Your English is great! I just don't know alot about either of them. I would think that the hippo would be the the strongest.

Kent, what do you think?:)

Kent Brightman
01-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Thank you amoore :)
Well, I didn't want to express my opinion because I didn't want to influence you. But in my opinion I think the elephant (in the majority of the cases) will win. Indeed, I think it got an important advantage because it's physically higher than the hippo.
But the hippopotamus is also verry impressionant, so I vote for the elephant but the doubt is still in my mind.

amoore
01-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I welcome your opinion! I would not mind to know these things myself. You came up with a good question.:)

KYS
01-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I always thought Elephants were one of the strongest
and smartest animals on this earth.
I saw a special once, how elephants are a family,
and how they protect each-other, they actually have a sort of gravesite areas for their dead.
(just like humans)
As which one would win in a fight?
The hippo's jaws are huge, but the elephant has
tusks.
I bet you could contact your local zoo, and maybe
they might have an answer.

My vote is for the elephant! :)

amoore
01-12-2004, 03:53 PM
KYS, that was great about Elephants! I didn't know that about them! Thanks!:)

aly
01-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Kent Brightman

I only regret that most of you let their heart speak rather than really explain their choice.

I let my heart speak and gave my personal preference because I initally did not understand your question. But I really don't have an answer on who would win because I hate to picture animals fighting. Sorry :(

Desert Arabian
01-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Hmm, seeing how the hippo is one of the most dangerous animals in Africa, killing over 150 people a year...I would have to say hippo. Although, I think the elephant beat it intelligence wise. I like them both for their own different reasons! :D

I think they are really cute looking...in a silly kind of way.