PDA

View Full Version : Do your pets have any untraditional commands?

Tonya
01-11-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm just wondering who has untraditional commands for their pets.

For instance, Dusty knows the command "No kitties!" When he hears that, he stops in his tracks and lays down.

Roxy, knows "Get up there!" She's climb up the ladder, bed, into the truck etc...

Ron's favorite command is "Want some food, kitty?" In Ronguage, that means "Come!".

My mom always lectures me that dogs understand one word commands, but I don't care! Whatever works. lol.

binka_nugget
01-11-2004, 10:54 PM
We use "Go to bed!" for jumping up on things. It was originally just a command for them to go up on my bed but I started using it for other things. Kai knows "go find your toy" as well. It's alot easier for him to find it and bring it to me than for me to get up and find it LOL.

lovemyshiba
01-11-2004, 10:59 PM
One thing I can think of off of the top of my head is "outside toy" Some of their toys, like tennis balls that have been outside for months, or rope tugs and things like that, they are only allowed to have outside--they stop dead in their tracks if we yell "outside toy" if they are barrelling in with it in their mouths.

I know there are a ton more, but I can't think of any right now.

Kfamr
01-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Simba knows "Get in the truck", "Get in the tub", "Go night night", "Go to your room"(he walks to my room) and probably many more.. I can never think of all the commands he knows. :rolleyes:

Nala knows "Get in your bed", which I just recently taught her when we bought her a big dog bed.

*Edit* I forgot, Simba knows "Get up here". He sits with my dad (or me) in my dad's lazyboy. My dad on one side, Simba on the other. When he says "Get up here" Simba sits up in the chair and leans back into my dad's arm and rests his head on my dad's chest. It's a bit hard to explain, so hopefully you got it. :p

tikeyas_mom
01-11-2004, 11:02 PM
i will yell DEAD at tikeya and she will flop over onto her back wanting a belly rub ahahaha..

And with baby we will say "goto matt" and she will trott over to her matt ;)

With oscar we will say Get your baby and he will go run and get a toy :p. also with oscar i can tell him to "roll up the rim to win" and he will growl hahaha

Twisterdog
01-11-2004, 11:04 PM
My dogs all know, "Move!" .... which means go lay down out of the way so we can walk through the house.

They all know, "Hush!" ... although Basil chooses to ignore it sometimes. :rolleyes:

Lucky knows the names of several toys, and brings the correct one. "Ball", "Rope", etc.

Georgie knows, "Get your baby!" ... which means that he is getting overly excited and mouthy, and needs to go pick up a stuffed animal and hold it in his mouth until he settles down.

Several of them know, "Where's your boy?", which means go find my son and get him to come to me. Lazy mom, aren't I? ;)

trayi52
01-11-2004, 11:33 PM
My Chihuahuas are all just so smart..when they are barking I can yell "Hush" and they just keep barking. Would you beieve I mean for them to do that?? Okay they bark at bugs. But sometimes I need to know when there are bugs outside don't I???...........

My husband says I have the dumbest dogs that ever walked the face of the earth..But what does he know?

Well anyway, I can say its bedtime to Buffy and she knows it time for bed. I think thats an accomplishment. Isn't it?

Willie

Tonya
01-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Lol, Willie! I feel ya! I get so proud over the simple accomplishments while Mike is in the background going "God, they are dumb!"

I've been catching him snuggling and bragging about them more and more though. I think I am totally converting him into an animal lover!

Crikit
01-11-2004, 11:37 PM
The goonies know quite a few, then again they have a reason for that.

Let's see there's "car" which means go to the car. "house" which means go to the house.

"jump"
"weave"
"frame"
"teeter"
"bridge"
"push"
"tunnel"
"stop"- the command I use so they'll get the contacts
"turn" and "spin"
"go"-take what ever is in front of them.
All of those are agility commands.

Winter is learning "ball" which is what her command to get the ball in flyball is.

"settle" it gets them to lay down on their side instead of in the sphinx position.

"back" they back up...not very far right now but they'll get there.

There's some others but i can't remember them right now.

Nomilynn
01-11-2004, 11:43 PM
if I say "You wanna peice of cheese?" Nutmeg knows she will get a treat.

"Who wants fishies" means it's breakfast time (they all know that one).

"Do you see a birdie?" and they will look at the window and make that cackle noise (sometimes the noise, always look out the window).

They also all know stuff like "get down" "move" "no".. even though sometimes they ignore me ;)

Corinna
01-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Merlin knows a couple , whisper will bring the barking at the kitties to a low whine.
Going for pie or cheese while bring the dead dog to life and running to the fridge before his eyes are open.

joycenalex
01-12-2004, 06:14 AM
night-night means get on the bed, it's time for bed
kitchen- very useful, not a room, it means get out from under my feet and wait in the next room until i call you back.
porch- means the same thing but when we're out of doors
go-to-your-room-means get in your crate
do-you-wanna-play-some-football- means wrestling time
he ignores off the counter very well

aly
01-12-2004, 07:30 AM
I have a ton of untraditional commands, especially for Lolly. She knows so many, I can't even name them all. I will list a few though.

"put your head down" - when she's laying down but has her head up and is barking at the neighbor dogs, I tell her to put her head down and she'll put it down and go back to sleep

"get in the car", "get in the backseat", "scoot over", "go find reece/shiloh/skylar/grandma", "get in bed", "paws up", "put your head on me", "put your paws on me", "back up", "turn around"

Reece only knows a couple like "get in bed" and "get in the car", but Lolly knows all of the above and much more. She learns things very, very quickly. I almost really do believe she understands everything I say. I think she should go on tour with Skid Boot :D :D :D

Cataholic
01-12-2004, 07:43 AM
LOL, Willie. I am sure your guys know exactly what they are doing!

Binx knows, thank God, "move move"...all he needs is that sound the trucks make when backing- beep, beep, beep.

Then, Binx also knows that "come" means totally ignore mommy, and keep after what ever he was doing.

How do I teach Binx to 'come'? Remember, I really cannot treat him as a reward.

My cats know everything, just not on my command.

My commands? Let's see...Mommy feed us NOW, Mommy, move your fingers NOW, Mommy, open the porch door, who cares if it is 2 degrees, Mommy, come find me in my hiding place, Mommy, turn on the faucet.

aly
01-12-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic

How do I teach Binx to 'come'? Remember, I really cannot treat him as a reward.

Does he have a favorite toy or something he likes enough to be motivated for training?

cloverfdx
01-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Clover knows: "Back" back away from me, her dinner, when im getting ready to throw a ball etc.

"Turn" Flyball comand when we are doing recalls over the jumps and i want her to turn around and face the start finish line. (i can send her down to the Flyball box then tell her to "Turn" and "Sit" then recall her over the jumps)

"Hup" get up on your bed, get in the car, jump up on me (for cuddles) etc

"Spin" spin around in circles (Great for when im bored in an obedience class and we will be heeling along and i will say "Spin" makes it a bit more fun)

Penny knows: "Get your baby" go get a stuffy and stop whining.

Alot of tricks "Up sit" Beg, "Crawl" "Speak" "Bless you" Sneezing, "who's there" Jump up on the back of the sofa and look out the window, i cannot think of any more at the moment.

Oh Theo knows "Get your ball" "I cant reach it" when i cannot reach the ball he get for me, "Hup" same as Clover, "Puss Puss" Get the cat to play.

Cataholic
01-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by aly
Does he have a favorite toy or something he likes enough to be motivated for training?

You know, he does love this toy that looks like a giant Jack. I call it Jacks (pretty clever, huh?). So, despite the fact it is as large as a basketball, maybe that will work. I will try that, thanks!

aly
01-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
You know, he does love this toy that looks like a giant Jack. I call it Jacks (pretty clever, huh?). So, despite the fact it is as large as a basketball, maybe that will work. I will try that, thanks!

Let me know how it goes :) It might also help if you put it away and only let him play with it during training sessions - that will make him that much more motivated to work for it if he hasn't seen it laying around on the floor.

anna_66
01-12-2004, 08:22 AM
They all 3 know these:

"Are you hungry?" I say this and they all go running in the kitchen for their breakfast.

"Wanna treat" of course they know what this means!

"Who want to go bye bye?" I say this and they run for the front door.

"Do you need to go outside?" They all run to the back door.

Roxey and Angus know this one:
"Go get her/him" and they'll start playing with each other.

Angus knows these:

"Go to bed" he'll go to our bedroom.

"Go to your bed" he'll go to his bed in the livingroom.

"Go get your ball" and he'll get one of his toy balls, it never matters which one.

"Stop it" if he starts licking his feet he'll stop when I say that.

That's about all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there is probably more.

Now I know your thinking I didn't mention Huney much, but I think she has me more trained than I do her:p

Glacier
01-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I have a lead dog in my sled team who came to me as a trail leader--she didn't follow traditional commands, but prefers to pick her own trail. I've spent tons of time getting Pingo to listen to me and follow directional commands. She always knew them, she just choose not to listen, as huskies will do! Over the summer and fall training, I taught her "Pingo Pick a Trail" I use it when we are having a good run, aren't in a hurry and I don't care where we go. Pingo gets to decide which direction we take when we come to a fork in the trail. She loves that command--her little ears come up, she wags her tail and she almost always picks the longer way home! I've seen some beautiful places that I probably never would have gone on my own and she always remembers the way home!

Tonya
01-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
I have a lead dog in my sled team who came to me as a trail leader--she didn't follow traditional commands, but prefers to pick her own trail. I've spent tons of time getting Pingo to listen to me and follow directional commands. She always knew them, she just choose not to listen, as huskies will do! Over the summer and fall training, I taught her "Pingo Pick a Trail" I use it when we are having a good run, aren't in a hurry and I don't care where we go. Pingo gets to decide which direction we take when we come to a fork in the trail. She loves that command--her little ears come up, she wags her tail and she almost always picks the longer way home! I've seen some beautiful places that I probably never would have gone on my own and she always remembers the way home!

Wow, that sounds so cool! I would love to get into sledding. What an awesome hobby! You are a good fur mommy for picking up on her personality and giving her a little more control.

primabella
01-12-2004, 02:57 PM
The most odd one we use is "puchyapaw" :p

When we play soccer outside, I tried teaching Mickey how to pass so I started off by saying, "Put your paw" or "paw" so he would use his paw to move the ball. Over time, he's just responded to me saying "put your paw" really fast, which becomes "puchyapaw" Lol.

ramanth
01-12-2004, 03:06 PM
If someone says, "What are you doing up there?" then Kia will slowly slink off the couch. :D

When playing with her, we'll say "Where's Andy?" or "Where's Kimmy?" and she'll race off to find that person and jumps with excitement when she finds who she's asked to find. :)

Tonya
01-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Forgot a few...

If I say "Get in there!" They automatically go to the office. That is their room. When they are causing trouble, I make them go lie down in there for a while.

If I say "goodnight!" Roxy gets in her crate and Dusty gets in his crate or the office, depending on where I point. I don't crate Dusty as much anymore since he's so good.

Tonya
01-12-2004, 03:16 PM
LMAO, thought of one...We had this little dog, Scooter when I was younger. He was llapso alpso-poodle. He had short-man syndrome, he was always trying to fight bigger dogs. His thing was to sit on the back of the couch all day and look out the window for dogs passing by. He'd bark wildly if he saw a dog walk by the house. He'd growl and go all crazy....

Well, that evolved into the "Doggie!" command. If we said "Doggie!", Scooter would jump onto the back of the couch and go nuts. We loved doing the command when the curtains were closed. He would be so busy in his fit about a dog walking by that he wouldn't even notice the curtains were closed. He'd stare at the curtains and bark and growl as if he had Xray vision. lol.

Amber
01-12-2004, 03:39 PM
One of Katie's is go get (blank)....

for example..when we had my parakeets, Maggie would try to climb the cage, and we would say go get her!! and Katie goes running up barking and getting the cat down:p It tought the cat good!

dukedogsmom
01-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Duke knows night night. He'll walk back to the hallway where the bedroom is. I can see him from my recliner. He'll wait there until I say "night night" and then he'll go and jump on the bed. He also knows how to get his rawhide. I'll say "get your toy" and he'll go running off to the last place he thinks it is. Is really cute. He knows pottyturn. This is where I have him do a quick circle before I take him out to go potty. He gets all excited and I wind him up further by saying "on your mark, get set, goooooooooo" before I open the door. He does little wheelies(both front feet come off ground when he barks) He also knows "want to go for a ride?" He gets really nuts when he hears that one. KayAnn taught me to say that to get a good pic. I don't do it often at home though because I dont want to fool him.

countrycowgirl
01-12-2004, 03:59 PM
LITTLE BIT KNOWS:
LETS GO NIGHT NIGHT- HE'LL RUN AND JUMP IN MY BED

HUNGRY- HE'LL JUMP UP AND DOWN WANTING FOOD

LOAD UP- LOAD IN THE TRUCK

BATH TIME - HE TRIES TO LOOK REALLY SAD SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO HAVE ONE

GO GET YOUR BABIES: RUNS AND GETS MY STUFFED ANIMALS

CHEWIE KNOWS:
WANNA PLAY- SHE GETS IN A POUNCINGPOSITION AND WAGS HER TAIL

HUGURY- FOLLOWS ME AROUND TILL I FEED HER

ROXY KNOWS:
LOAD UP- SHE'LL RUN TO THE TRUCK AND WAIT FOR YA

BATH TIME- SHE RUNS AND JUMPS IN THE TUB

TREAT TIME - SITS PERFECTLY AND WAITS FOR A TREAT

GO GET IT- GOES AD GETS HER BALL

anna_66
01-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Walk Around...I have them do this before they come in if their feet are wet or muddy. Of course Roxey and Angus have it mastered, but Huney, she just ignores me:p

slick
01-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Hmmmmm what untraditional commands do I know (since I'm the pet)????

Meeeeoowwwwwww! That means, feed me now.

Meeeeoowwwwwww! That means, rub my belly.

Meeeeoowwwwwww! That means, leave me alone. I want to sleep.

:D