PDA

View Full Version : My story on how Ron found us...

Tonya
01-11-2004, 09:41 PM
All the comments about Ron's markings in my other thread made me think of the day I got him. I don't believe that I shared this story before, so I thought I would.

I have always frequented the local animal shelter. I go there and pet all the animals and just hang out with them. I just get sad over the idea that they are scared at a cold unfamiliar place, so I like to give them love.

At the cat room, all the cats have always been totally outgoing and friendly. They're all pretty much begging to be pet and taken home. I'd been there so much over the years that I *thought* I could pretty much call an animal's personality.

Anyways, the time came where we were in the market for another cat. It was going to be the youngest smallest female kitten that we could find.

I go into the cat room and I'm petting all the cats and hanging out with them. There is always a prison inmate in there watching the cats. (It's part of their volunteer program.)

I made my rounds on all the cats twice over. Then the inmate goes "Why do you always skip that black and white one? You skipped him last week too." I go "Which one, this one?!" He said "Yeah, the one with the goatee." I said "Oh, he looks so mean. He just sits in the back of his cage and hisses. He's huge, he'd hurt me!" The guy said "Why don't you give him a chance. He's not so bad once he's out of those bars."

I was scared. I can't explain it, but Ron looked so mean and intimidating compared to all the other cats. I didn't want to be rude or seem like a chicken though. I cautiously opened the cage and Ron spatted at me. I looked at the inmate and said "You get him out!" He sighed, walked up and grabbed Ron and handed him to me. The second I put Ron on my lap, he became a love. He purred and just wanted to be petted. He was estimated 5-7 years old, which was way out of our league though...

I called Mike and said "Look, I know that we really wanted a kitten, but there is this older cat here. Just trust me on this cat. I have a feeling. He's getting put to sleep today." We'd really had our hearts set on a kitten, and I knew Mike would say no to an adult cat. I was totally lying. lol. (In fact, I thought I had Mike fooled, and not to long ago he joked with a friend about how every single one of our pets were spared moments before death....according to Tonya. ;) )

So, that's how we wound up with Ron...And I sure love him!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/p819f7f9d202dd51bec09783a1f366188/f9fac012.jpg

cutie_chica
01-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Such a sweet story!!! Im glad you gave him a chance. :D

catcrazylady
01-11-2004, 09:59 PM
What a wonderful story!!! Aren't you glad the inmate had you take a second look!! Ron certainly wasn't doing much to help plead his case!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
He is so handsome and unique! I love his face! We really should see more pics of him! What a doll!

kimlovescats
01-11-2004, 10:40 PM
What a beautiful story!!! A lesson to be learned from the inmate and the kitty .... even good people and cats alike get put behind bars, and they just need a loving second chance!!! ;)

moosmom
01-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Tonya,

Ron is beautiful!! I love the smudge on his face. He looks like he has the same personality as my Doogie. Totally GOOFY!!!!

trayi52
01-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Tonya, What a wonderful story! I am so glad you decided to tell it to us. Ron sounds like my kind of cat. Poor baby staying at the back of the cage and hissing, maybe he just figured nobody wanted him or cared for him. But you showed him didn't you?

You need to tell us more stories, I really love this one. I love how you think you have Mike tricked! Sounds a lot like the way I do my hubby Jimmy. I will tell you about that sometime, funny, funny story...

I hope you are feeling better Tonya, I know how much you love your job. So get to feeling better and tell us some more stories. I always love ALL your posts, so don't you ever stop posting!

Willie:)