PDA

View Full Version : Are there any cats you are afraid of?

Kirsten
01-10-2004, 01:18 PM
I know, we all love the felines and have a special bond with them, but are there any cats that you fear?

For me, it would be the cat of my mother's fiancé! He's a four year old tux boy and his name is Dino. It's not that he's agressive or mean, but he has really rough manners. It's actually no surprise because his territory is the forest, and he has probably been through many battles. He has killed a squirrel a while ago!

I like him, and he likes me, but I'm afraid to pet him. He wants to be cuddled, but out of the blue, he would bite or scratch you. And believe me, it's very very painful when he does that! I already had some deep wounds from his attacks, and meanwhile, I really fear them.

Now he is very damanding. When he wants to be cuddled and you ignore his wish, he attacks you from behind and grabs you with his paws, and of course he's using his claws. I'm telling him all time it's his own fault that nobody wants to touch him!

Here you can see what a beautiful boy he is:

http://home.t-online.de/home/0554132997-0004/dino.jpg

http://home.t-online.de/home/0554132997-0004/dino2.jpg

My mother and her fiancé live here (http://www.tillyschanze.de/index2.htm) btw. All this is Dino's territory!

Kirsten

rg_girlca
01-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I never thought I would meet a cat that I would be afraid of, but I did. My friend who lives just down the street from me, asked me if I could catsit her cat, while she and her hubby went away for a week. I said sure, cause I have met this cat before. Her name is Tiger and she is a Maine Coon mix. Big girl. Not very sociable with other people, but she was okay.
The first 2 days, went okay, but come the third day, that was a different story. When I walked into the kitchen, she hissed at me for some reason, but I thought nothing of it as she had done this before to me in the past. I proceeded to get her food and fresh water and from behind, she attacked my leg. When I jumped, as she startled me, she started hissing and growling at me. She had me scared as I didn't know what the heck she was going to do. So I just went about doing what I had to do, trying to ignore her, all the while, with her still growling at me. The next day was even worse, she literally would not let me out of the kitchen. No word of a lie, she was standing in front of the kitchen entrance and when I would go to walk past her, she would attack me. To make a long story short, I never went to catsit my friends cat again.

rg_girlca
01-10-2004, 03:01 PM
I forgot to mention that in order to get out of the kitchen, I had thrown a shirt that was on a chair, over her. I then jumped over her and ran down the hall and out the door. The next few days I had my hubby come with me and he dealt with her hissing and growling. Also, she is declawed, so she uses her teeth when she goes to attack. Claws I can deal with, but not teeth.

Kirsten
01-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Oh oh, sounds like this girl was VERY frustrated and upset about her humans being away, and she has projected all her frustation onto you!

How is she behaving now when you visit your friends? Does she still hiss at you?

Kirsten

rg_girlca
01-10-2004, 03:55 PM
LOL Kirsten, I try not to go close to her, cause whenever I do she will hiss and swat at me. I guess she is getting back at me for throwing the shirt on her. She even will bite her owners, so that alone tells you that she is not a very nice cat.
They have another cat named Patches. He is such a sweetie. He is all white with black patches on him. Hence the name Patches.
You can pet and cuddle with him no problem.
Tiger is 10 years old now and Patches is 3. Believe me when I say, that Patches stays out of Tigers way. He's no fool.

Amber
01-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Yes! My friends cat named Sox, is grey and white. This cat is so mean to me. If im walking Sox will run and attack my feet! Ouchy
And she hisses at me. But these last couple days, Sox has been actually NICE! She was letting me pet her, and she was giving me head bumpies.

Felicia's Mom
01-10-2004, 05:12 PM
My mother's cat Snoopy has always hissed at me. When I go to her place, I don't talk to her cat or try to pet him. Snoopy is ignored like he isn't even there. He leaves me alone too.

jenluckenbach
01-10-2004, 05:12 PM
The first morning after foster Bailey arrived she would not let me in the doorway to her room. Had she continued that behavior for very long she would definitely have been on my "afraid of" list. Even though I do not fear being in the room with her, IF I would ever actually have to DO something to her that she would not like, I am sure I'll be scared to death!!!
And, as far as grooming customers go, there have been a few we sent away because we were too afraid of their behavior to work on them.

sirrahved
01-10-2004, 05:49 PM
None that I've been afraid of, per se, but I've met lots that I wouldn't try to touch. Admire from the distance...

catnapper
01-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Yes. The one Redhedd posted need ing a new home:D

rg_girlca
01-10-2004, 11:04 PM
:D catnapper, that is a good one. :D

jazzcat
01-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Ripley when he is having one of his fits of rage. Luckily they don't happen too often any more - about one a year.

krazyaboutkatz
01-10-2004, 11:52 PM
I became afraid of my parents cat "Murphy Black" aka "Kitty". She's passed away now but I used to cat sit for them when they'd be out of town. She was half Siamese but looked like a long haired Tuxedo cat. She was full of "tude" too. One minute she'd be lovely dovey and the next she'd lash out and bite you. One day she bit my hand so hard that she left teeth marks in it.:eek: I learned to stay away from her after that.

I'm also afraid of my Cirrus when I have to put him in a carrier to go to the vet. I hope that in time he'll become better about it and learn to trust me more.

RedHedd
01-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Yes. The one Redhedd posted need ing a new home:D
LOL! Yes that one IS scary! :D Looks a little bit like Jack Nicholson to me :D

I've never met a cat I've been scared of. When Jane was my neighbor she would rescue these ferals - some of them were kinda scary at first - but after a while I realized they were more scared than scary. After seeing her work with the ferals I realized that many cats can be socialized into being not scary.

Now WILD cats are another thing. I think if I met a wild cat (in the wild) or any of the large cats - tigers, panthers, tigers, lions, etc. THOSE would scare me.

IttyBittyKitty
01-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Keith is my Mum's boyfriend and he has two absolutely beautiful Burmese fur kids that are always cuddling together named Suki and Chakra. Chakra has only three legs and is adorable, but she's a bit scary to pat because she sometimes decides to dig her claws in and they are sharp enough to draw blood every time!

Another thing she does in the cold weather (which they get a lot of) is snuggle under the covers with you. This is cute, but she "kneads" your legs which really hurts!

Uabassoon
01-11-2004, 12:33 AM
I am terrified of my mom cat Kitty. She used to be nicer when I used to live at home, but she's gotten cranky in her old age. When I walk past her she will hiss and start to attack me! When I go home I try to walk as far away from her as possible. Even the vet is terrified of her! The only person that can pet her is my mom. Here's a few pictures of Kitty I took when I went home for X-mas.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4df27b3127cce85bc64a6bb350000001610
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4df31b3127cce8669c8d4f0a90000001610

bisi.cat
01-11-2004, 02:07 AM
My sister's cat Moni...although I know her from kittenhood when she was really a cutie, she soon became a bit of cranky cat and now as an elderly cat of sixteen she starts growling as soon you come to close...she's black and really huge and though I not really fear her I have lots of respect for her...
Anyway deep inside she must be a wonderful cat, because she accepted Mulle quite easily and is nice to her owner...

Kirsten
01-11-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
The only person that can pet her is my mom. Here's a few pictures of Kitty I took when I went home for X-mas.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4df27b3127cce85bc64a6bb350000001610
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4df31b3127cce8669c8d4f0a90000001610

Ahhhh, what a gorgeous girl Kitty is! :)

BTW, this reminds me of my RB Katz. Nobody was allowed to touch her but me. My mom told me that once when she was cat sitting Katz would not allow her to leave the room, and that she had attacked her as soon as she was reaching for the door knob. I never really believed my mum because Katz was such a loving girl to me. But then again, she didn't like anybody else but me. :D

Miss Meow
01-11-2004, 04:25 PM
There are a few shed cats at our local stockfoods store where we get kitty litter. The cats sit on the bags of stockfood and sun themselves all day. All like being petted, but one always digs its claws into me and draws blood as soon as I move my hand. Then I scream and everyone laughs at me. I'm scared of that cat, but I never know which one it is so I can stop touching it!

NoahsMommy
01-11-2004, 04:30 PM
The only cat I've been afraid of what my friend's uncle's cat. When they went out of town, she'd water the plants and feed the cats. The mean one would wait us aout and attack any chance he got. He was just evil. :eek:

I would imagine that my step-dad is somewhat fearful of Noah. While he was here using our computer a few times, Noah wouldn't let him in the den. My step-dad had to call me at work because he didn't know what to do. hee hee...that's my little gaurd kitty!!! :D

RICHARD
02-09-2004, 03:35 PM
My brothers cat, Ralphie..

She's a nice looking calico with a mean streak a mile wide.

I was housesitting for him once and stopped to watch a little television. I grabbed a glass of water and sat on the couch. A few seconds later the cat walked up to me, sank his teeth into my hand and would not let go!

I asked him to let go and NOTHING.....I wanted to pull my hand out of her mouth, but I knew I would get sliced to pieces...I took the water and poured half the sucker on her head.....and made a hasty retreat......

The next time I walked in the house I armed myself with a squirt bottle.......That did the trick....
:eek:

Kirsten
02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
.I took the water and poured half the sucker on her head....

Sorry, couldn't help but laughing when I pictured that! But boy, what a mean kitty! Sounds really scary! :eek:

Kirsten

PayItForward
02-09-2004, 03:47 PM
I was going to say that I am not afraid of any cats. But having listened to your cautionary tails ;)

I am changing my response to.....not yet :D

halliecat
02-09-2004, 04:38 PM
I usually love cats and they love me....even kitties that don't like anyone. But not my ex-boyfrinds two cats. They are very large (18 lbs and 23 lbs) grey and white tabbies. They would bite and scratch you for no good reason but especially if you tried to pet them. They even attacked a yellow lab and german shepherd.

Not sure why they were mean, he had them since they were kittens and they were not abused. Maybe no one paid enough attention when they were small (he did a lot of traveling).

Anyway the cats did not like me, so that is one reason I am an ex!

cubby31682
02-10-2004, 07:33 AM
When I lived at home with my parents, we had this cat named Mr. B He was 15 pounds of solid muscle. He was a great cat loved all of us until my mom had cancer. After her cancer he started to attack her and myself. I went to a friends house one time, as I walked in the door I heard my mom screaming in the kitchen. Mr. B was attached to her leg and he wasn't letting go. He attacked her hands as well. I grab the hose that's on the sink and I sprayed him with water, he kept going. The only thing I could do was to push him off of her. Now I know all of us hate cat abuse here, but I must say this was the one and only time I was mean to a cat. I had no choice but to kick him (not hard enough to hurt him though) just enough to push him off of her. I told her to run in the living room. (All of this happened in the kitchen.) Which she did run to the living room, and Mr. B went at me. I grabbed the extra skin on the back of his neck picked him up and tossed him outside.

After I put him out side I went to make sure my mom was okay, she needed stiches in her hand. I asked her why he attacked her like that, and she said that she was opening a can of cat food for him and when she went to put it down for him he nailed her. My dad got home about 20 minutes later while my mom and I were trying to stop her hand from bleeding to much more he had to take her into the med center to have her hand stiched up. My mom and I were no longer allowed to pet him.

If he wanted us to pet him and we didn't we were attacked. My parents always firmly believed that if they have an animal that is a threat to others that would come in to the house we were to put it to sleep. We all tried to put him in a carrier and of course we were attacked. A friend of my mom's (which owns a farm) offered to come and take him. Which he did 3 weeks later Mr. B came back with a vengance. He hated all of us now and wouldn't stop attacking us. My mom's other friend had to come and take him to take him to be put down. All of us we happy he was gone.

When we got him he was a kitten and he loved to play be held pet everything you want in a cat. Then over night he changed. He was never hit he was fed all the time everything a cat would want until my mom had cancer then it was time for him to try to kill us it seemed like. Even still today I would be afraid of him if he was still alive. He is the one cat that I hate. Even though I hate him I would never harm him for no reason.

Katie.

Sorry this is so long.

Edwina's Secretary
02-10-2004, 08:53 AM
My mother-in-law's cat -- Doogan. They found him abandoned in the weeds on the country road where they live. He was the sweetest, most pliable kitten! And he grew up to be the meanest! He is loving with them but NO one else. I think he has Maine Coon in him from his look, his squeek, and ...he boxes! He is big and strong as well.http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/pa966229f4de154d42d04216382d37473/fdbdd3e9.jpg

Logan
02-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I live with him, Kirsten. I'm not really afraid, but just very concious of what he can do to me (and others) if I'm not careful. I know that there are several here who have a fondness for Buttercup, like I do, but he is unpredicatable, and because we warn people that his personality changes quickly and without warning, many people (including my stepchildren and parents) do fear him. :eek: Butter has his claws and he has those teeth........he is loving, but dangerous at the same time, much like Dino, who you described.

Logan

catmandu
02-10-2004, 09:08 AM
I am alittle nervous around Nugget , the big gold stray that hangs around on the porch , and beats up the other Cats to get thier food. He is big and lean , and mean! He scratched the AWA lady , whe she came to Cat Sit , and she had to get shots!

Kirsten
02-11-2004, 09:18 AM
I really wonder why some cats are that mean when there seems to be no reason for it, like with halliecat's ex-bf's cats.

cubby31682, I wonder if Mr. B has lost his mind somehow when your mother got cancer? What a sad story is this! :(

Doogan is such a beauty! Well, when he has been abandoned once, he probably has his reasons... But strange that he was acting nice as a kitten.

Logan, you're right, your Butter sounds a lot like Dino. Not really mean, but you always have to be careful.

catmandu, sounds as if Nugget tries to take over the area. Are the other cats afraid of him?

Kirsten